ADVERTISEMENT

Fidone on a milk carton

NUSouth

Senior
Oct 25, 2009
Do we need to put Fidone’s picture on a milk carton to see if we can find him. The Iowa game is one where he should have dominated and instead all I remember is that he was the target on the last interception.

I’m not criticizing Fidone but rather our lack of a passing attack that fails to use its best receiver. Fidone and the tight ends in general have been grossly mismanaged this year.

Maybe just a coincidence but the tight end coach is the position where we had to replace a coach with an Analyst at the last minute. I think that has come back to haunt us and hopefully Rhule will get a real tight end coach in there quickly.

I am puzzled how Boerkicher can continue to be labeled starting TE, yet he's a phantom - just like Alex Bullock. Wtf do these guys even do??

Fidone says he's better than Bowers - well, man up and show me some shit. Your ass belongs in FCS.
opposing DCs and their defenses have something to do with Fidone disappeared. They identified him as a guy to take away. Some of it was play calling.

I am puzzled how Boerkicher can continue to be labeled starting TE, yet he's a phantom - just like Alex Bullock. Wtf do these guys even do??

Fidone says he's better than Bowers - well, man up and show me some shit. Your ass belongs in FCS.
FCS? Are you drunk? The guy is basically equivalent to a redshirt freshman in practice time coming off 2 major knee injuries.

I dont know why we dont flex fidone and just throw a fade up to him and let him try to go get it 1on1.
He's not tough enough but that's what te should do. NU has been beaten by better te than we've had in history

Blocking. TE might get 5-6 targets per game. The other 60 or so plays they have run/pass blocking assignments. That's a 10-1 ratio (maybe a high estimate but blocking is clearly job#1 if you are a TE). Fidone better work to improve his blocking or he is going to be waiting a long time on draft day.

I wouldnt beat him on him too much especially just grading him against Iowa. Our entire D philosophy is built on forcing the opposing O to nickel and dime us

With an injury free year under his belt, I expect Fidone to be significantly better next year. He showed flashes this year, but at times he still ran tentatively, like he was walking on eggshells. Another offseason of strength training and his blocking will improve, along with his confidence. He’ll become more involved in the offense between the 20s and will hopefully be a safety valve for whoever lines up under center.

With an injury free year under his belt, I expect Fidone to be significantly better next year. He showed flashes this year, but at times he still ran tentatively, like he was walking on eggshells. Another offseason of strength training and his blocking will improve, along with his confidence. He’ll become more involved in the offense between the 20s and will hopefully be a safety valve for whoever lines up under center.
inconsistency with his hands, too.

but he was our best target this year.

stinks he was invisible with 2 of our 3 QBs on the field. I'm sure it had nothing to do with them, though.

I keep saying it but he missed a ton of practice time. Blocking Big 10 DE's and lbs is not the same as Iowa high school players. I agree he seemed kind of stiff but it's not hard to see why he was so highly recruited.

Put that guy in the portal and I bet he would have some real good schools after him.

Do we need to put Fidone’s picture on a milk carton to see if we can find him. The Iowa game is one where he should have dominated and instead all I remember is that he was the target on the last interception.

I’m not criticizing Fidone but rather our lack of a passing attack that fails to use its best receiver. Fidone and the tight ends in general have been grossly mismanaged this year.

Maybe just a coincidence but the tight end coach is the position where we had to replace a coach with an Analyst at the last minute. I think that has come back to haunt us and hopefully Rhule will get a real tight end coach in there quickly.

Also had to find a new WR coach last second, and our QB coach backed out at the 11th hour. Rhule had to scrap together most of his offensive staff at the last second and it shows. Not that I necessarily blame Rhule for any of that, seems like most of it was out of his control a just plain old bad luck. Nevertheless, our offensive staff needs to show marked improvement next year and if I was Rhule I’d be targeting Satt’s potential replacement right now. Give Satt every opportunity and all support possible hoping he improves, but do so knowing he probably won’t.

stinks he was invisible with 2 of our 3 QBs on the field. I'm sure it had nothing to do with them, though.
Actually he had a very slight uptick in catches per game the last 2 games of the year. But far fewer yards.

Geez Kong, of course he was going to get more balls his way when HH locked in on him from the snap and it was going his way pretty much no matter what. I do wish he would have caught more balls later in the year.

Geez Kong, of course he was going to get more balls his way when HH locked in on him from the snap and it was going his way pretty much no matter what. I do wish he would have caught more balls later in the year.
it worked. people hated it.

many, many posts saying similar to this one above.

can't imagine why, as a quarterback seeing your first ever game action, you'd look to your top receiving option and former roommate when you need yards through the air.

He had 25 catches and 4 td's coming off 2 major injuries. People are so unrealistic and dramatic.
I agree, I am just perplexed they dont isolate him and throw it up and let him try to make a catch, especially with how bad our pass game sucked with traditional route running.

He’s had 2 major knee injuries…he’s no longer that high level recruit. Need to lower expectations from him. It sucks but it’s the reality.
I would expect him to be in the 40 catch range next year. What expectations did you have for him? He already matched Jack Stoll's best year and that guy plays a ton for a Super Bowl team. Noah Fant caught 30 passes his 2nd year. Kittle caught 22 passes as a senior. Kelce caught 13 passes his 2nd year in college.

I agree, I am just perplexed they dont isolate him and throw it up and let him try to make a catch, especially with how bad our pass game sucked with traditional route running.
Agreed but I'm perplexed by a lot of stuff with our offense. I try not to dwell on any one of them too long or my head starts to hurt.

w
I would expect him to be in the 40 catch range next year. What expectations did you have for him? He already matched Jack Stoll's best year and that guy plays a ton for a Super Bowl team. Noah Fant caught 30 passes his 2nd year. Kittle caught 22 passes as a senior. Kelce caught 13 passes his 2nd year in college.
I see him with less catches next year….because he was the main target they had until later part of year when some of the WRs finally came along.

it worked. people hated it.

many, many posts saying similar to this one above.

can't imagine why, as a quarterback seeing your first ever game action, you'd look to your top receiving option and former roommate when you need yards through the air.
Like many things one dimensional in football, it worked for a while until it didn't. I didn't say I "hated" it but it was not good football. Eventually he needs to learn to read a D and look people off. I played and coached DB's, watching a QB stare down a receiver is like licking your chops, his eyes take you right to the ball.

We have a full time receivers coach. What we don’t have is a full time QB coach. Looking at the 1995 media guide, having a QB coach (Turner Gill) worked out very well thank you. OC Satterfield should stick with coordinating the offense with his various position coaches. Satterfield’s performance handling the QB’s left alot to be desired. In any event the QB position need to be upgraded through the transfer portal and recruiting.

Reactions: BleedRed78
He was second on the team in receiving yards. Not sure what more you could ask of him with a total lack of passing game most of the year. Our leading receiver (Kemp) had 315 yards. When Purdy came in he spread the ball around to a lot more receivers Instead of locking onto one 6’6” guy and still throwing behind/over him 1/4 of the time 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Boerkicher had some excellent blocks vs Iowa. I don’t pay attention too closely but I think sometimes he stays in to pass block. The TE position could very well use a good juco or transfer kid to add to the mix.

Satt should’ve been doung everything he could to the ball into Fidone’s hands. One of the best weapons on the dang team. I don’t care if you have him line up at fullback. Get the dang ball in his hands multiple times per game. 5-10 touches at least. IMO. Hoping Chubba or a transfer can pass with any kind of consistency next year to make this happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT