ADVERTISEMENT

Fidone on a milk carton

only one of our quarterbacks ever threw to him.

too bad. it worked.
You’re right. Only guy he ever looked for.

Apparently, Haarberg should have thrown to Lloyd. Maybe that would have worked too? Wonder if he knew Lloyd was even on the field pre snap?

Boerkicher had some excellent blocks vs Iowa. I don’t pay attention too closely but I think sometimes he stays in to pass block. The TE position could very well use a good juco or transfer kid to add to the mix.
Boerk was in to block on running plays because he was a lot better at it than Thomas. You could often tell what we were about to do just from that.

• Sad
Reactions: king_kong_
I am puzzled how Boerkicher can continue to be labeled starting TE, yet he's a phantom - just like Alex Bullock. Wtf do these guys even do??

Fidone says he's better than Bowers - well, man up and show me some shit. Your ass belongs in FCS.
It doesnt matter if you have Lynn Swan as your wide out if you never throw to him or have qb's that cant get it to him or have an OL that doesnt give your qb enough time to get a pass off.

I often wondered why we didnt see more short / quick routes. And what ever happened to screen passes?

Boerk was in to block on running plays because he was a lot better at it than Thomas. You could often tell what we were about to do just from that.
They played both of them together too. And there were times that #87 went out on some pass routes, but I agree that he's primarily a blocker. And a pretty good one at that. But from what I've seen, he's really not that far behind Fidone as a receiver either. Fidone did great just to come back from those injuries and he plays with a lot of heart. I don't want to criticize him either. But adding a juco or a starting TE transferring from another school should be something that they look at.

I’m not criticizing Fidone but rather our lack of a passing attack that fails to use its best receiver. Fidone and the tight ends in general have been grossly mismanaged this year.

Maybe just a coincidence but the tight end coach is the position where we had to replace a coach with an Analyst at the last minute. I think that has come back to haunt us and hopefully Rhule will get a real tight end coach in there quickly.
Are you saying that Fidone is our best receiver? That isn't what I saw.

And how was he mismanaged? He ran a lot of underneath stuff. Lined up inline and split out. They sent him deep. The challenge of sending anyone on longer routes was whether they would even be out of their breaks before the QB got pressure or didn't get pressure but saw "ghosts" and scrambled prematurely. The timing got messed up.

Fidone wasn't full speed this year and Kemp certainly wasn't. It was frustrating seeing our QB get pressured or sacked before those two even finished a deep route. Seemed like Lloyd was the only guy we had who could run a deep route and look back for the ball before the QB went into scramble mode.

So, help me out what changed in the play calling?
I’m not sure much changed other than there seemed to be a more concerted effort to get the WRs targets. I really didn’t pay attention to whether or not we were keeping the TE in to help in pass pro either. Was more targets for WRs play calling or was it just a change in who the first option was on a given pass play? Dunno.

Fidone not knowing where to line up is what led to us burning our last timeout against Iowa. Rhule chews his ass as they head to the sideline
Same thing happened (Fidone not lining up correctly) in the Minnesota game right before half that cost us a needed timeout.
I think he struggles with the playbook
He didn't receive his star rating for his intelligense.

I’m not sure much changed other than there seemed to be a more concerted effort to get the WRs targets. I really didn’t pay attention to whether or not we were keeping the TE in to help in pass pro either. Was more targets for WRs play calling or was it just a change in who the first option was on a given pass play? Dunno.
Purdy does a nice job of keeping his eyes downfield. I think the coaches want their QBs doing that especially when the offense struggles to move the ball. So that means a WR is generally the first option. But sometimes the routes took too long to develop and by the time Purdy checked down to the secondary receiver on the shallow route that receiver was no longer open or was almost out of bounds. The timing was off. All of that could get fixed in year two.

Reactions: dinglefritz
They played both of them together too. And there were times that #87 went out on some pass routes, but I agree that he's primarily a blocker. And a pretty good one at that. But from what I've seen, he's really not that far behind Fidone as a receiver either. Fidone did great just to come back from those injuries and he plays with a lot of heart. I don't want to criticize him either. But adding a juco or a starting TE transferring from another school should be something that they look at.
Boerkircher should’ve been more involved for sure. Much bigger role last year and did fine, offense a lot better.

Adding a transfer or JUCO would be stupid. TE is the one position we have recruited plenty of high end players.

w

I see him with less catches next year….because he was the main target they had until later part of year when some of the WRs finally came along.
Main target is relative. I'm still painfully optimistic we can have a real offense at some point. If that was the case everyone's receiving numbers would increase.

Like I said, I bet coaches from other teams with real offenses would love to have him.

Was he even fully cleared for fall camp this year? I thought he was still brought along slowly.

Really! LOL. That's fascinating. Please explain who all of these guys high end guys are who are that are going to make such a difference next August.
I think it's more of a deal where there are much more pressing needs for this team. I suppose if they had room and could add a difference making TE they would do it but they need a ton of help at multiple offensive positions over TE.

Really! LOL. That's fascinating. Please explain who all of these guys high end guys are who are that are going to make such a difference next August.
Fidone, Nelson, Flynt. We've essentially started a redshirt freshman 2 years in a row. No reason to think Nelson can't contribute as a pass catcher and Flynt looks as physically mature as any freshman TE we've had. Throw in the kid from Texas last year and the kid from Omaha this year. Plus I think the kid from LSE is at TE. You want to possibly carry over 6 scholarship tight ends?

What are you going to get for a TE transfer when we return 2 starters, one of them being the #1 TE recruit his class and then add another top 5 freshman TE?

Considering how long Fidone was off the field I think it was a promising year. Can’t wait to see him with a better QB… and hope he starts blocking. Wish we had the Brahmer kid though. That was a big miss.

Fidone, Nelson, Flynt. We've essentially started a redshirt freshman 2 years in a row. No reason to think Nelson can't contribute as a pass catcher and Flynt looks as physically mature as any freshman TE we've had. Throw in the kid from Texas last year and the kid from Omaha this year. Plus I think the kid from LSE is at TE. You want to possibly carry over 6 scholarship tight ends?

What are you going to get for a TE transfer when we return 2 starters, one of them being the #1 TE recruit his class and then add another top 5 freshman TE?
I think we'll be OK at TE with the kids we have coming back. But if they can bring in a kid like a Vokolek, I think that they have to do that. The offense needs difference makers. Nelson isn't going to help us at TE right away. Any TE they brought in would someone who would play right away, maybe a grad transfer. And if there's a guy who looks at what we had out there last year and was afraid to compete with that, then we don't want him.

I think we'll be OK at TE with the kids we have coming back. But if they can bring in a kid like a Vokolek, I think that they have to do that. The offense needs difference makers. Nelson isn't going to help us at TE right away. Any TE they brought in would someone who would play right away, maybe a grad transfer. And if there's a guy who looks at what we had out there last year and was afraid to compete with that, then we don't want him.
I think we would have a very hard time finding a decent TE that would want to compete with a guy who has started games over 2 seasons and a guy who was the #1 TE and started for a year. Throw in our qb situation and it wouldn't make sense. I would question a player coming here given those circumstances.

Nelson probably won't tear it up right away but no reason to think he can't play right away in certain packages. I believe Flynt is going to enroll early. Is Nelson?

Fidone not knowing where to line up is what led to us burning our last timeout against Iowa. Rhule chews his ass as they head to the sideline
Same thing happened (Fidone not lining up correctly) in the Minnesota game right before half that cost us a needed timeout.
I think he struggles with the playbook
It takes a lot of thinking to plan what home crowd-shaming gesture to perform after his next touchdown. Shhh! Guess that needs to wait until next year.

Exactly. No one knows but we all like to think we do.

Where did I say turnovers dont matter? That was the one thing your boy had going for him at first. Then he turned into Sims 2.0. He's not a QB. Accept it. Move on.
Disagree. He is a qb.. he could be better at TE than QB, but to say he aint a qb means you think Rhule and Satt really suck at their jobs

He was all we had left with an injured Purdy.
Fair enough.. just annoying when posters belittle HH so much. He is a qb… it’s fair to say he’s a qb that won’t take Nebraska to where they should be, but please stop dismissing him at his position.

Reactions: HBK4life
Fair enough.. just annoying when posters belittle HH so much. He is a qb… it’s fair to say he’s a qb that won’t take Nebraska to where they should be, but please stop dismissing him at his position.

Is Jeff Sims a QB, too? In your eyes? At some point an adult has to tell these young men something they do not want to hear.

I love HH and what he did for us in that short span, but it also became very clear he is not somebody that can get us over the hump over the long run. Unless you have an absolutely elite OL + TE + WR blocking + RB stable, you have to be able to throw the football with consistency in this era of football. HH cannot do that and has never done that. He should move on to a position where he can help us the most.

As for Fidone, young and coming off major injuries. Needs to work on blocking and consistency catching the ball. Something tells me he will be fine.

Is Jeff Sims a QB, too? In your eyes? At some point an adult has to tell these young men something they do not want to hear.

I love HH and what he did for us in that short span, but it also became very clear he is not somebody that can get us over the hump over the long run. Unless you have an absolutely elite OL + TE + WR blocking + RB stable, you have to be able to throw the football with consistency in this era of football. HH cannot do that and has never done that. He should move on to a position where he can help us the most.

As for Fidone, young and coming off major injuries. Needs to work on blocking and consistency catching the ball. Something tells me he will be fine.
Yes, Jeff Sims is a qb. Anymore brain busters?

I think he whiffed on Sims. Nobody will argue that. Then tried to play musical QBs and scrape out some wins with injuries to RBs, O line and WRs. HH did his best. But we need a portal QB for next year.
Agree. Always try to improve your roster.. also.. maybe let’s try to improve our backups as well. Maybe work with HH on his release point.. let’s make them all better

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT