ADVERTISEMENT

After watching the..

robinson was a big name recruit, but you're right, we need 5 more of those type of recruits along the DL.

We are already competing to the wire with teams like Iowa, Purdue, NW, Illinois, Indiana. IF we can improve at all, we should have little issue beating them most years. MN Im still not convinced they are not just a flash in the pan team this year. I will need to see another 2 or 3 years of a successful MN team to say they will be able to compete at Wisc level.
Wisc, we are a bit off from, but not as far as some think. Im not worried about the West, I think we will get there. The issue not for just us but for all of the West is how dominant Ohio St is. I don't see any team in the West being able to consistently beat them. I do think we have the best shot to give them a run in the future, just do to the fact we can out recruit other West teams most years. Not saying we will, just that we probably have the best chance.
Little issue? Opponents all have just as much money, just as many scholarships, and are coached by people at the pinnacle of their chosen profession. Even if and when Frost learns more and gets his system entrenched, ‘we’ will have more than a little issue every week. No week is easy in the Big 10. And the team people on this board root for has a staff that is among the least experience in all of P5 conferences.

seriously, what are you watching when you attend, or tune into games.

I expect Nebraska to steadily improve, but consistently being the team everyone chases, I’m not expecting that.

Iowa is probably most vulnerable, as they will have a coaching change some time in the next several years. Lovie is older too. Fleck, Chryst, Fitz, Brahms are going to around- and all are more proven to date, all with facilities, cash and more nearby talent

Last edited:
Little issue? Opponents all have just as much money, just as many scholarships, and are coached by people at the pinnacle of their chosen profession. Even if and when Frost learns more and gets his system entrenched, ‘we’ will have more than a little issue every week. No week is easy in the Big 10. And the team people on this board root for has a staff that is among the least experience in all of P5 conferences.

seriously, what are you watching when you attend, or tune into games.

I expect Nebraska to steadily improve, but consistently being the team everyone chases, I’m not expecting that.

Iowa is probably most vulnerable, as they will have a coaching change some time in the next several years. Lovie is older too. Fleck, Chryst, Fitz, Brahms are going to around- and all are more proven to date, all with facilities, cash and more nearby talent
Bottom line if Wisc can win the West 90% of the time, there is no reason we can't. Of all the West teams we can consistently get the best talent. The issues in the past is we have had shit coaches who couldn't develop or retain talent.Hell Bo F ing Pelini consistently beat every West team except Wisc. He is an average coach at best. Im not saying Frost 100 % will, but until proven other wise, long term, Im going to assume he can. If he can, we should be able to surpass what Wisc has accomplished.

For starters, the coaching staffs as a whole, on both teams are far superior to us.
I do not believe that. Ed Orgeron superior? He's superior at dirty recruiting and now that he's at LSU he doesn't even have to do that. LSU's OC is great but IMO Frost is competitive with Day and Lincoln Riley. For heaven's sake, you have to consider the difference in talent they have to work with and that's not all on Frost just yet. Those schools in the playoff have been absolutely killing it in recruiting for the past 5 years. Jimmies and Joes.

Reactions: bshirt73
I think we will be much better on offense going into next year and beyond. And we better be. My biggest concern is that we are not now, nor have we in the past two years, recruiting true difference makers on defense, especially on the defensive line. We will not improve much going forward until that changes. We could actually be worse on defense next year since we have zero proven defensive lineman. Stille returns, but so what? He isn’t anything special.
Another year in the weight room and in the same system are going to help guys like Stille be better players. I think we'll have some guys step up who will surprise people.

Bottom line if Wisc can win the West 90% of the time, there is no reason we can't. Of all the West teams we can consistently get the best talent. The issues in the past is we have had shit coaches who couldn't develop or retain talent.Hell Bo F ing Pelini consistently beat every West team except Wisc. He is an average coach at best. Im not saying Frost 100 % will, but until proven other wise, long term, Im going to assume he can. If he can, we should be able to surpass what Wisc has accomplished.

Well, you kind of set yourself up on this one. If we consistently get the "best talent" what's the problem? There is only one thing left to blame it on. On one hand you believe we can win the west based on our talent alone but yet we haven't even come close. So far, what would you point to as solid evidence there is adequate development of our talent? Just expecting it to happen doesn't make it happen. Where is the evidence?

Last edited:
Not sure I’d be bragging about Frost’s player development with the guys like Martinez and Barry this past year...

I didn't know Osborne inherited a team that had been 19-19 in the previous 3 seasons.
What I’m saying is Osborne didn’t have his first Elite level team until 1983 which was 11 years into his tenure. The teams prior were good but nothing quite like the 1983 team. My hope is in the same time frame or sooner (hopefully 8-10 years) we have a team that can be considered Elite level.

Devaney and Osborne’s teams finished in the top 10 in at least one of the 2 major polls 28 of their combined 36 years. It didn’t take them 8-10 years to build elite teams.
I’ll disagree. While the teams were good they weren’t Elite level until the years I listed (1970, 1971, 1983, 1994, 1995). It took Osborne 5 years to get over the hurdle and beat Oklahoma. It took time then and it’s going to take time now.

Hope so. Who?
We had several young D linemen play well late in the season and one walk on linebacker who looked the part. Stille made some plays. Ty Robinson I expect to contribute and play well. Green should be good. You just don't know until they play more. It happens every year and THIS next year, we should start the year with guys who have had the same coaches, same S&C staff and the same system for a full 2+years. It should help. You could see it IMO in our defense those last couple of games. We return 4 linebackers who played a bunch and should be ready to rock and roll with the addition of some young depth this cycle and a couple of talented guys who redshirted. I think our D will be ok. We'll see. With the 3-4, EVERY person I've listened to who played in it college or the pros they've all said it takes 2-3 years to really master it as a team. I'm throwing out Diaco's year because I don't think he could coach a dog to eat tenderloin.

Last edited:
What I’m saying is Osborne didn’t have his first Elite level team until 1983 which was 11 years into his tenure. The teams prior were good but nothing quite like the 1983 team. My hope is in the same time frame or sooner (hopefully 8-10 years) we have a team that can be considered Elite level.
1) Nebraska went to 6 New Years Day bowls in his first 10 years. I don't get how that doesn't count as elite-level. His records from 1984-1993 pretty much matched his records from that first 10-year chunk.

2) In keeping with your train of thought....Osborne's worst teams between 1973-84 were 9-3, not 4-8. You're saying that it took 10 years to get to some elite level from 9-3. How long will it take when you start out 4-8 and 5-7?

Reactions: Bruce1981
We are not a good team. Our coaching is below average. I will be difficult to recruit elite players to Nebraska with this coaching staff after the last 2 years. It will take a huge improvement in talent on both sides of the ball to compete in any championships in the next 5 years. Those teams that played yesterday are light years a head of Nebraska Football. We can get better, but I believe Coach Scott Frost has to make some coaching changes especially on defense. Hiring a qualified OC would also be an improvement. Also hiring a new DC that knows what he is doing would be another improvement.
Please stop. You won't be happy until the whole staff is gone. Go back to whatever team's board that you're actually a fan of.

1) Nebraska went to 6 New Years Day bowls in his first 10 years. I don't get how that doesn't count as elite-level. His records from 1984-1993 pretty much matched his records from that first 10-year chunk.

2) In keeping with your train of thought....Osborne's worst teams between 1973-84 were 9-3, not 4-8. You're saying that it took 10 years to get to some elite level from 9-3. How long will it take when you start out 4-8 and 5-7?
Exactly why Frost has a 7 year contract.

Puff lover...I’ll keep it simple for you. If you’re a team that wins your conference championship game and/or playing in the National Championship you’re an Elite team. Quit being a douchebag with every post.

here's an example of a bad post.
I hate to say it but I think not making a bowl might be a good thing. Seemed like everyone as injured, now Frost can really sit back and re evaluate his program without going 6-6 and playing some crap bowl. Hopefully he uses this time to not only recruit, but fix the issues this program has. Clearly he needs to change things otherwise we will get close to the same results next year and it’s not solely a talent and depth issue.

Puff lover...I’ll keep it simple for you. If you’re a team that wins your conference championship game and/or playing in the National Championship you’re an Elite team. Quit being a douchebag with every post.
Pretty funny that the best responses you have are insults and falsehoods. That's the sign of someone that has no intelligent point to make.

But, to counter your argument....Osborne's Husker teams won or shared conference titles in 1975, 1981, and 1982. They apparently hit your definition of elite status under Osborne a few years before you claimed....after all, you did say it was "winning your conference championship (game) and/or playing in the national championship."

I know...you said "winning your championship conference game". Are you going to say that those conference championships don't count, since Nebraska didn't play in something that didn't (for them) exist until 1996?

Wanna rethink your "Puff lover" comment? It would be pretty embarrassing to be proven wrong by a "Puff lover" (not sure why I got labeled as such, but whatever...that's your issue).

Reactions: Bruce1981
Have to disagree with this. NU played for the MNC in '81 and was as good as anyone once Turner Gill became the starting QB. I am among the many who believe NU beats Clemson with TG. The '82 team was as good as any in the country, and many would argue (including myself) that it was better than the '83 team. Same offense, better D.

You can be elite w/o winning your conference championship (ask Alabama, which won 2 national championships without winning their division). TO's first 8 teams finished in the Top Ten 7 times and held their own against the "elite" teams in the country. Split a home-and-home with Alabama in '77-78 and went 3-2 in a five game series with Penn State. In other years, they routed UCLA, beat the SWC champions (Texas) in the Cotton Bowl, the SEC champs (Florida) in the Sugar Bowl, and imposed their will on #1 OU in '78.

Have to disagree with this. NU played for the MNC in '81 and was as good as anyone once Turner Gill became the starting QB. I am among the many who believe NU beats Clemson with TG. The '82 team was as good as any in the country, and many would argue (including myself) that it was better than the '83 team. Same offense, better D.

You can be elite w/o winning your conference championship (ask Alabama, which won 2 national championships without winning their division). TO's first 8 teams finished in the Top Ten 7 times and held their own against the "elite" teams in the country. Split a home-and-home with Alabama in '77-78 and went 3-2 in a five game series with Penn State. In other years, they routed UCLA, beat the SWC champions (Texas) in the Cotton Bowl, the SEC champs (Florida) in the Sugar Bowl, and imposed their will on #1 OU in '78.
Careful...he might call you a douchebag.

Careful...he might call you a douchebag.
Well I won’t because 1) he isn’t a Colorado Buffalo fan masquerading as a Husker fan and 2) he does bring up good points that I can agree with. One of which In ‘82 Nebraska does play for the MNC if it wasn’t for the bad officiating during the Penn State game.

Last edited:
Pretty funny that the best responses you have are insults and falsehoods. That's the sign of someone that has no intelligent point to make.

But, to counter your argument....Osborne's Husker teams won or shared conference titles in 1975, 1981, and 1982. They apparently hit your definition of elite status under Osborne a few years before you claimed....after all, you did say it was "winning your conference championship (game) and/or playing in the national championship."

I know...you said "winning your championship conference game". Are you going to say that those conference championships don't count, since Nebraska didn't play in something that didn't (for them) exist until 1996?

Wanna rethink your "Puff lover" comment? It would be pretty embarrassing to be proven wrong by a "Puff lover" (not sure why I got labeled as such, but whatever...that's your issue).
You’re an idiot because you are bringing up information that has nothing related to my initial post. Like Osborne’s records vs Frosts. Osborne was given the keys to a well oiled machine - a far different situation than what Frost got. Once again this has nothing to do with my post.

My post said in approximately the same timeframe I hope we have a team at an Elite level that wins the Big-10 and plays for a National Title. That’s it. Teams that don’t play for all the marbles are good teams not Elite. Alabama went 10-2 this year. They had a good season. Do you think their fans consider this an Elite year? The way you respond to my posts is stalker like. You are the one that has issues. Loser!

Last edited:
Devaney and Osborne’s teams finished in the top 10 in at least one of the 2 major polls 28 of their combined 36 years. It didn’t take them 8-10 years to build elite teams.

Well, as TO taking over a NU program that won two NCs in the 3 previous years it would be 10,000 times easier to be in the top 10 with that than taking over Smiling Mike's 3 previous year results.

Alabama

You’re an idiot because you are bringing up information that has nothing related to my initial post. Like Osborne’s records vs Frosts. Osborne was given the keys to a well oiled machine - a far different situation than what Frost got. Once again this has nothing to do with my post.

My post said in approximately the same timeframe I hope we have a team at an Elite level that wins the Big-10 and plays for a National Title. That’s it. Teams that don’t play for all the marbles are good teams not Elite. Alabama went 10-2 this year. They had a good season. Do you think their fans consider this an Elite year? The way you respond to my posts is stalker like. You are the one that has issues. Loser!
Ah....more name calling. How mature.

Actually, what I do is present facts to back up my posts. Much more credible that saying random things, moving goal posts, and then insulting people when shown to be wrong.

Last edited:
Well I won’t because 1) he isn’t a Colorado Buffalo fan masquerading as a Husker fan and 2) he does bring up good points that I can agree with. One of which In ‘82 Nebraska does play for the MNC if it wasn’t for the bad officiating during the Penn State game.
Oh....now were on to blaming officiating.....that's something losers do.

And calling me a fan of another team simply because I don't demonstrate enough hate for them......how sad.

Last edited:
I do not believe that. Ed Orgeron superior? He's superior at dirty recruiting and now that he's at LSU he doesn't even have to do that. LSU's OC is great but IMO Frost is competitive with Day and Lincoln Riley. For heaven's sake, you have to consider the difference in talent they have to work with and that's not all on Frost just yet. Those schools in the playoff have been absolutely killing it in recruiting for the past 5 years. Jimmies and Joes.
Yep, especially OSU, like 6 years or something with a top 5 class.

And calling me a fan of another team simply because I don't demonstrate enough hate for them......how sad.
I’d just appreciate it if you don’t respond directly to any of my posts. You’ve been a douchebag ever since the Colorado posts and now you’re starting crap on this post. Just stop. I don’t care to talk with you on any posts going forward. If you claim to be a Husker fan then I understand it’s necessary to share a passion with some people you just can’t stand.

Well, as TO taking over a NU program that won two NCs in the 3 previous years it would be 10,000 times easier to be in the top 10 with that than taking over Smiling Mike's 3 previous year results.

yes ... my post was in response to the post claiming that it took Osborne/Devaney 8-10 years to get an elite team it did not ... there is some disagreement as to what constitutes elite, for my purposes it is a top 10 team or better

yes I realize that TO took over a powerhouse ... I objected to the notion that he didn't have elite teams until 8-10 years in ... my response was poorly worded and did not adequately convey this

It should not take 8-10 to get a top 10 team as suggested ... I would be interested in examples where, if a program has the right coach, it took that long to achieve this ... Frank Beamer comes to mind but the list is very very short

an interim realistic goal is to progress toward winning the west division ... there are no heavy weights like OSU, etc that should make this insurmountable. We were further from this goal in 2019 than 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73

last thing I have to say...If you were a true Husker fan then would have known all about the infamous catch out of bounds call during the 1982 Nebraska vs Penn State game. I’m not the only one who blames the official standing right there on this one.

Well, you kind of set yourself up on this one. If we consistently get the "best talent" what's the problem? There is only one thing left to blame it on. On one hand you believe we can win the west based on our talent alone but yet we haven't even come close. So far, what would you point to as solid evidence there is adequate development of our talent? Just expecting it to happen doesn't make it happen. Where is the evidence?
Most of the top talent that MR did bring in is gone or only had 1 or 2 years in a proper SOS system. Any top talent Frost brought in are True Fresh and Soph. These guys of Frost have to have time to develop. Not every player is going to be a Wandale Robinson and be able to contribute as a True Fresh. Now if in 2 or 3 years we are still having this conversation and are having issues developing and keep talent, we can rain down on Frost.
History shows teams that can recruit better tend to perform better than those who don't long term. We can recruit better than every other team in the West. We all hope that Frost is the guy that can finally take that Superior talent and get the most out of it. 2 years is to soon to say for sure if he is or isn't.
The reason teams like Wisc and Iowa and others have success is because they have a system in place for 15-20 years. That system takes 2 and 3 star guys and is able to turn them into NFL talent. Getting that system in place takes more that 2 years. If Nebraska can get a similar system in place, we will have 3, 4 and hopefully 5 star guys to work with.

Last edited:
Nice post saluno. It shows a slow, steady decline of this program since 2001. Consequently, the last class of T.O. system recruits. 0 top 10 finishes since that time. Only 3 top 20 and two of those were 19th/20th. I don't normally count 21-25 as ranked, but even those dropped. Just a slow, steady decrease in talent and coaching with some periodic bumps (Callahan recruiting).

Reactions: TheBeav815
last thing I have to say...If you were a true Husker fan then would have known all about the infamous catch out of bounds call during the 1982 Nebraska vs Penn State game. I’m not the only one who blames the official standing right there on this one.

I know all about it.....I just don't get caught up in blaming officials.

Nebraska had 2 turnovers and threw 1 INT in that game. Either one of those drives could have been a TD instead, and it never comes to that call.

Games are won and lost on things like execution of offensive , defensive, and special teams assignments, and not committing turnovers.....not referee's mistakes.

For example...PSU converted a 4th and 11 two plays prior to the controversial catch/bad call. Nebraska stops them on that, and there never is a bad call.

Nebraska didn't sack Blackledge at all that day, either.

Did Penn State score on the pass to the 2/bad call, or was it on the next one?.....Oh yeah...there was another play after that, and Nebraska, unfortunately for us, failed to stop them on it.

I have yet to watch, play in, or coach in a football game in which the officials made more mistakes than the players or coaches. So, in short, I have a hard time blaming officials for one play when the Huskers 1) committed a stupid penalty on a kickoff that gave PSU an extra 15 yards of field position, 2) didn't sack their QB once during the game, 3) had 3 turnovers, 4) gave up a 4th and 11 almost right before the PSU pass to the 2/bad call, and 5) had another chance to keep PSU out of the end zone after said bad call, but failed to do so.

Lastly...and more importantly...it was 37 years ago. Time to let it go.

A potential problem I see is that we have had issues retaining people in this decade, in particular the past 5 years. When you look at the top boys like LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, they are 3-4 deep at every position. It’s very difficult for us to keep quality guys. For example, Miles Jones could have been a nice player for us 2-3 years down the road. He sees that he’s not going to get many touches now so he bolts. Nobody wants to ride the bench on a crappy team. That’s a serious problem and barrier I see that will hinder us from ever being elite. We can get to a level of Wisconsin, where our starters are at a high level but then when injuries happen the talent and experience drops off considerably.
So when your not winning why not play more kids

seems to me that if you are going to waste a year of eligibility and yiu think the kid has a future you’d get him on the field at some point

Minnesota and Ohio State games should have cleared the bench

yes ... my post was in response to the post claiming that it took Osborne/Devaney 8-10 years to get an elite team it did not ... there is some disagreement as to what constitutes elite, for my purposes it is a top 10 team or better

yes I realize that TO took over a powerhouse ... I objected to the notion that he didn't have elite teams until 8-10 years in ... my response was poorly worded and did not adequately convey this

It should not take 8-10 to get a top 10 team as suggested ... I would be interested in examples where, if a program has the right coach, it took that long to achieve this ... Frank Beamer comes to mind but the list is very very short

an interim realistic goal is to progress toward winning the west division ... there are no heavy weights like OSU, etc that should make this insurmountable. We were further from this goal in 2019 than 2018.

Another variable in the "elite" debate is that the college game was different back in the 70s - specifically no conference championship game. OU was arguably the top program that decade and NU always had to go through them to compete for national championships. It would have been interesting to see what Osborne's record against OU would have been if he had some extra shots at them in a conference championship game - Sooner Magic had to have its limits. Always felt bad that when Osborne finally beat OU for the first time in '78 he had to play them again the very next game in the Orange Bowl. He was never afforded a mulligan like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT