ADVERTISEMENT

Say 'no' to a 12-team playoff.

First Team All-Big Ten
Jul 27, 2002
A few things not being discussed (to my knowledge anyway):

Expecting players to play another 3-4 games after their conference championship. That will allow too many more intense games for injuries. This does not bode well for any team short on depth, like a Cinderella team who could upset somebody once, but will never make it through a gauntlet. It also will not settle who the best team is. Likely there will be a great team who's QB and/or other impact player(s) get hurt, and after the playoff games it will be "They really were the best team all season, but their QB got hurt in that second playoff game." It will not settle, but only change the conversation, about who the best teams really were.

And secondly how do they plan to get star players to play an extra four games, further risking their pro career, with no extra money? I expect a union to be created, and players to get a big chunk of the money. Then we will get the holdout drama of pro sports every couple of years.

And does anyone really think any team outside the top teams every year, really have a chance anyway? (No, they don't.)

Besides that, teams with the most depth will win these wars of attrition. Say hello to the same 3-4 teams winning it every year, like it is now. Including worse teams with weaker rosters will not change anything. It will amplify it.

CFB is killing the golden goose by always chasing the dollar. Know enough when to leave it alone.

Last edited:
Sound like 12 is gonna happen. That said, you can ditch the championship game IMO, just base it on records/tiebreakers etc.
12 game season. Top 4 get byes and those are the teams that will win it all so that’s an extra 3 games.. 15 games total for the final 2 teams. Seems ok. These guys all get NIL money now so I am good with it. Nothing prevents these dudes from getting insurance policies

Well it's gonna happen. They should put the regular season down to 11 games. Make conference seasons 8 games like they used to be.

Reactions: 8990
It should go to 16. Lol at being good worried about the number of games only a few teams play.

The playoff expansion is going to make things even better.

Reactions: MissoulaHusker
Didn’t read. The subject was already dumb. More playoff teams = more high leverage football, more teams and fans an with opportunity for greatness, more high leverage gambling for the fans, brackets, etc… Whats wrong with y’all?

Reactions: jkeb and JOHNNY N
Didn’t read. The subject was already dumb. More playoff teams = more high leverage football, more teams and fans an with opportunity for greatness, more high leverage gambling for the fans, brackets, etc… Whats wrong with y’all?
I can't understand why so many football fans think that only having 4 teams playing in games that mean something is a good thing

50 meaningless exhibition games played by teams with nothing to play and depleted rosters is a pretty shitty system.

Reactions: jkeb and jteten
I can't understand why so many football fans think that only having 4 teams playing in games that mean something is a good thing

50 meaningless exhibition games played by teams with nothing to play and depleted rosters is a pretty shitty system.

Bowls were made as a reward for teams and a trip to a warm location for their alumni and fans over the holidays. Yes, it has been distorted with the addition of too many, IMO. But without the bowls what should the 90% of teams in the country, that have no realistic chance at a national title, look forward to?

I’ve always been proponent of 8 team playoff and always thought that the CCG are just like a playoff games..

power5 conference champions and 3 at-large teams deserving based on records not Winning their CCG.

Bowls were made as a reward for teams and a trip to a warm location for their alumni and fans over the holidays. Yes, it has been distorted with the addition of too many, IMO. But without the bowls what should the 90% of teams in the country, that have no realistic chance at a national title, look forward to?
Why would bowl games go away? You can still have your meaningless exhibition games. Just minus the 12 best teams.

This really isn't hard. The playoff expansion won't end bowl games. Instead it will give us games that are actually worth watching, and a bunch of meaningless bowl games. How is that not better?

Last edited:
If coaches think it is too taxing to play more games, they have 85-100 man rosters, they can play subs more throughout the season. I see teams up 42-14 in the third quarter and they leave all their starters in. There is an opportunity to rest players, coaches just choose not to do so.

Expecting players to play another 3-4 games after their conference championship. That will allow too many more intense games for injuries. This does not bode well for any team short on depth, like a Cinderella team who could upset somebody once, but will never make it through a gauntlet. It also will not settle who the best team is. Likely there will be a great team who's QB and/or other impact player(s) get hurt, and after the playoff games it will be "They really were the best team all season, but their QB got hurt in that second playoff game." It will not settle, but only change the conversation, about who the best teams really were.

And secondly how do they plan to get star players to play an extra four games, further risking their pro career, with no extra money? I expect a union to be created, and players to get a big chunk of the money. Then we will get the holdout drama of pro sports every couple of years.

And does anyone really think any team outside the top teams every year, really have a chance anyway? (No, they don't.)

Besides that, teams with the most depth will win these wars of attrition. Say hello to the same 3-4 teams winning it every year, like it is now. Including worse teams with weaker rosters will not change anything. It will amplify it.

CFB is killing the golden goose by always chasing the dollar. Know enough when to leave it alone.
Do away with CCG's. With the playoffs you no longer the revenue they generate This leaves 1 extra game to the existing platform.

IMO, 4 is plenty, nobody should get double or triple jeopardy, the season needs to count from game 1 to the finish. We don't want or need Utah over USC take 3......or GA/ TN over Bama again, two or three weeks later....garbage in = garbage out.

In a lot of states high school teams play 14/15/16 games if they end up competing for a state championship. If a high school kid, who lacks all the amenities of year round weight training, speed training and nutrition can handle it, then these collegiate athletes are more than capable of playing a few extra games. imo

Reactions: kidofSN
You want games to matter...Right now, only a handful of games matter each week. With a 12 team playoff and teams jockeying for their CCGs, you will have about 25 games a weekend that count.

Astonishing to me the number of people who do not want to see more football games that matter. This makes more games matter all season. Long season? Very little difference in length to all the teams now going to bowl games.

It is all about money and being pushed by ESPN. Georgia is easily the best team this year and Michigan the second best. I say let them play and forget about the rest of the BS. (I think since the 4 team playoff has started that in most years there are only 2 really good schools with occasionally a third team, but that fourth team is not up to the level of the other three).

Every week there are upsets, including losses by 2 of the top 4 teams from last week. People who thing x team can't lose haven't been paying attention. I wouldn't even call the current system a playoff. It's a beauty pageant followed by an invitational. The best should be determined on the field. Seed a large playoff and let them play. I would bet any amount of money within the first 4 years a team outside the top 4 wins it all.

Reactions: kidofSN
ADVERTISEMENT