ADVERTISEMENT

According to Benning......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frost can take a team that went 0-12 and in only two years turn them into a 13-0 team (which says a ton about Frost) but now we're called to be patient at Nebraska?

I'm not expecting to go 13-0 anytime soon, but 8 wins seems like a pretty low bar to start.

For those asking to give Frost time I'll ask, time for what exactly? To have a winning season? To win the West? To win the Big10? I'd like to know which year we're allowed to stop being patient and what the expectations are for that season.

I don't think Frost would accept any type of excuse from himself or from his staff on this upcoming season.
Expecting to much is only leading to disappointment. We have to give this staff and any staff time. Why? Teaching and learning a new system takes time. Unless these kids all have photographic memories.
Imagine you start a new job. Now, you are familiar with the requirements of the job. It is going to take time to learn what your boss expects, learn what your co workers expect. You need to learn how everything is done and in what order this new company does it. Guessing they do things differently than your old company. It doesn't mean you aren't going to be great, it just means you need time to get into rhythm and to learn the new ins and outs. As with anything in life to be great at something it takes practice and time.
Now the age old argument is how much time is acceptable to teach and learn and implement this new system? Spring game? Fall camp? 1-3 games? 6 games? 1 year? 3 years? Everyone will have a different opinion

Reactions: HuskerO
Why are we playing Ohio State four years in a row? Has Iowa or Wisky ever had to do that?

From what I heard Delany decided to put teams opposite in each division ( except for Purdue and Indiana) by winning pct over the past decade at the time they made the schedule and they would play each other by that criteria which is BS we should be playing Michigan and Penn St just as much as Ohio St in a 10 year period.

Nebraska- Ohio St plays each other more
Wisconsin - Michigan plays each other more
Iowa- Penn St plays each other more
Etc Etc.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
My guess is that when comparing this team to the UCf team they took over
They are seeing a significantly weaker physically and mentally team than they could have imagined
And we play in the big 10
They already dialed it down by 20 Percent
Maybe it is has been explained already but is going on with this teams mentality? I can understand the physical side of things.

All hyperbole. It's not in "shambles". It definitely needs some work, but we have good athletes on this team which include players Frost brought on and ones Riley left that we'll be fine for next year.

I'm all for giving Frost at least 4-5 years. What kills me is that some are already giving Frost excuses as to why he won't be successful when those exact same excuses wouldn't fly for Riley. I'm not saying Riley needs to be coddled or Frost needs to be dogged on. But be consistent people.
I see your point, but every year is different, every situation is different. You can't judge one coach and expectations exactly the same.
Our schedule alone this coming year is way tougher than what Riley ever had to deal with. These players are in way worse shape than what Riley ever had to deal with. People want to see improvement. With Riley, to improve he needed to get at min 9 wins. That was the standard Bo set.
For Frost to show improvement it is going to take much less as we were so bad. I don't think people are expecting any less from Frost as they were of Riley. We all want top teams that are playing for championships. The difference is the distance each coach had to go to get there. Another example, both coaches needed to get from point A to point B, Riley was given the keys to a car. Frost has to build his first. People can argue Frost has a bit tougher road, so it is going to take more time.

Reactions: davecisar
According to Benning, the talent level isn't as big a deal as the psyche of the team. That bleeds into everything (intensity of workouts, performance on field, winning mentality, etc.). I have no doubt that Frost and company will get that turned around, but Benning thinks things are bad enough that it's going to take more time than he originally thought.
What type of issues are they having? Not wanting to put in the work? Not liking the coaches?

I'm probably going to regret this, but I have some thoughts. First, the anger here probably has its roots all the way back in 2002 and 2003. For a lot of people supporting or trashing a coach serves a proxy for the fan base conflict that began when the program's cracks became evident in the horrible 2002 season. My own policy is to support whomever the coach is until they aren't the coach anymore, even when I think it's probably better for them to move on (after the Oklahoma State loss in 07 for Callahan, after the 2011 season for Bo, and after the Minnesota game for Riley.) It seems that two of the post TO coaches (Callahan and Riley) had active resistance from a large part of the fan base from the get go. Neither of them ended up doing very well, but they both faced fractured fan bases and seriously deficient rosters. Ultimately they both did worse as the players they recruited started taking over starting spots, but left a more talented roster than the one they found.

I think it's entirely okay for a fan to want a coach to be let go if the team isn't performing up to snuff, but the personal insults (Clownahan, Smilin' Mike) are uncalled for. Bo probably had it coming to a degree, but I think this holds true for the personal attacks on him as well.

I am thrilled that Frost is the coach and I think he and his staff will do very well here. I firmly believe they will establish a winning culture and Nebraska will return to its proper place. I also really think they will do things the right way. That said, I am not excited to see the staff or people close to it trashing their predecessors. Riley may have flopped as a coach here, but he never made excuses. He never blamed Bo for creating a toxic environment and poor roster management. It's bad form to pile the old staff. I don't think they are doing it to make excuses, I think they're doing it to throw red meat to the fan base, and it's totally unnecessary. Frost, like Bo, is walking into a fan base that is overwhelmingly supportive of him and excited to have him. Frost, unlike Bo (I think) is a championship level coach and will have a more successful (and much longer) tenure here. I am fully behind the staff, like everyone else, but ripping Riley and his staff doesn't help the program in any way.

Finally, despite this, I appreciate Benning talking about this on the radio, it's the media's job to inform the public about interesting stuff, and the internal disfunction that characterized last year is certainly that.

That was my rambling reply, I look forward to the scorn, wishes for my ill health, etc.

I thought about the monkey but it just missed the cut along with -

if the new staff doesn't have the personnel to run what they want then they need to run what Riley did until they get the players they need. and
with adequate coaching, the 2017 Nebraska team would be competing for a west division title at a minimum
I respect your imput and opinion. I don't agree with they should run Riley's offense. Under any circumstances. And I know they are not going to, and so does everyone else.

I'm probably going to regret this, but I have some thoughts. First, the anger here probably has its roots all the way back in 2002 and 2003. For a lot of people supporting or trashing a coach serves a proxy for the fan base conflict that began when the program's cracks became evident in the horrible 2002 season. My own policy is to support whomever the coach is until they aren't the coach anymore, even when I think it's probably better for them to move on (after the Oklahoma State loss in 07 for Callahan, after the 2011 season for Bo, and after the Minnesota game for Riley.) It seems that two of the post TO coaches (Callahan and Riley) had active resistance from a large part of the fan base from the get go. Neither of them ended up doing very well, but they both faced fractured fan bases and seriously deficient rosters. Ultimately they both did worse as the players they recruited started taking over starting spots, but left a more talented roster than the one they found.

I think it's entirely okay for a fan to want a coach to be let go if the team isn't performing up to snuff, but the personal insults (Clownahan, Smilin' Mike) are uncalled for. Bo probably had it coming to a degree, but I think this holds true for the personal attacks on him as well.

I am thrilled that Frost is the coach and I think he and his staff will do very well here. I firmly believe they will establish a winning culture and Nebraska will return to its proper place. I also really think they will do things the right way. That said, I am not excited to see the staff or people close to it trashing their predecessors. Riley may have flopped as a coach here, but he never made excuses. He never blamed Bo for creating a toxic environment and poor roster management. It's bad form to pile the old staff. I don't think they are doing it to make excuses, I think they're doing it to throw red meat to the fan base, and it's totally unnecessary. Frost, like Bo, is walking into a fan base that is overwhelmingly supportive of him and excited to have him. Frost, unlike Bo (I think) is a championship level coach and will have a more successful (and much longer) tenure here. I am fully behind the staff, like everyone else, but ripping Riley and his staff doesn't help the program in any way.

Finally, despite this, I appreciate Benning talking about this on the radio, it's the media's job to inform the public about interesting stuff, and the internal disfunction that characterized last year is certainly that.

That was my rambling reply, I look forward to the scorn, wishes for my ill health, etc.
Nicely Done. Thank you for your thoughts.

Reactions: timnsun and HuskerO
After hearing these things that DB is saying about the team, maybe the culture issues are the worst ever, but Frost is turning this roster over and will get this team rolling in a hurry.
Do we have any idea exactly what is going on as far as which players are having the issues? Or is it all of them?

Do we have any idea exactly what is going on as far as which players are having the issues? Or is it all of them?

Not all of them from my understanding.

Sounds like some players know what it takes to win and some don't. Those that know what it takes were pushing themselves to be better and those that didn't were slacking off and not pushing themselves.

When you aren't punished for slacking off, you tend to slack off more often than not. I hope Frost has an iron fist in these type of circumstances. Put forth the effort or get out. Maybe the walk-on Nebraska kids will help shape the culture for this.

Reactions: husker2612
mentality of the team much worse than he knew. Downgraded his prediction from 8 wins next year to saying 8 would be an incredible job by the coaches and worthy of another COY for Frost.

I hope everyone realizes we need to be patient. This isn't going to be a quick fix.

Excuse train is starting a little early isn't it? Find it hilarious because in all honesty it won't matter matter how the team performs nothing will be done to Frost.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I see your point, but every year is different, every situation is different. You can't judge one coach and expectations exactly the same.
Our schedule alone this coming year is way tougher than what Riley ever had to deal with. These players are in way worse shape than what Riley ever had to deal with. People want to see improvement. With Riley, to improve he needed to get at min 9 wins. That was the standard Bo set.
For Frost to show improvement it is going to take much less as we were so bad. I don't think people are expecting any less from Frost as they were of Riley. We all want top teams that are playing for championships. The difference is the distance each coach had to go to get there. Another example, both coaches needed to get from point A to point B, Riley was given the keys to a car. Frost has to build his first. People can argue Frost has a bit tougher road, so it is going to take more time.
How much more time and what exactly needs to be accomplished?

I mean... don't you kind of have the feeling that if the Frost hire flops that NU football is pretty much dead? This better be the right hire this time or we are in a world of hurt.
I think it is the right hire.
Just win baby!
GBR
I agree, Nebraska football is pretty well done if this doesn't work. I think that might be why he is getting a bit of a longer leash too. If we get rid of him to soon we have nowhere else to go. He is it.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
How much more time and what exactly needs to be accomplished?
I guess if I knew that I would be getting paid much more than I am. I just think year one all bets are off. Anything goes. Year 2 is where we need to start having higher expectations.

Reactions: HuskerO
That makes no sense that expectations should be higher with Frost coming in than it was with Riley coming in. The expectations I have for every coach are the same. I expect every coach we have to be a great coach and get the most out of his players. If not, that coach doesn't belong here.
Oh I agree, but some posters claimed they knew Riley was going to fail because of his past & Pelini won 9 games a season so Riley was expected to win 9 games minimum per year starting in year 1.

Then we hear about how great Frost is because of what he did at UCF and all of his accolades but now they're telling us to hold back expectations (be ecstatic with 8 wins year 1) because of big bad Riley and our schedule.

Makes no sense and sounds like lower expectations to me for a better coach. Not saying this is coming from you Frosty.

I guess if I knew that I would be getting paid much more than I am. I just think year one all bets are off. Anything goes. Year 2 is where we need to start having higher expectations.
Agree 100%.

When people say "give me time" I don't know of they mean 2 years or 6 years. Thanks for clarifying your take.

There were a group of mis guided clowns (being nice) on this board under the old regime. Guess what, they are the same mis guided clowns today. Regime change doesn't magically change the character of the people on this board.

The program was in complete disarray. The team isn't conditioned physically or mentally. People like Benning and Sipple are just now realizing how broken the program was under Riley.

I have no doubt that Frost is the coach who will bring Nebraska back, but this thing is going to take time. In 2018, Nebraska is going to have a new staff who'll will run a completely different offense, will start a new quarterback (who may be a true freshman), try to fix the worst defense Nebraska has had in almost 50 years, and do so against the hardest schedule in program history.

In 2018 I'm hoping the team gets back to a bowl game and shows steady improvement throughout the season. We need to be patient.

There were a group of mis guided clowns (being nice) on this board under the old regime. Guess what, they are the same mis guided clowns today. Regime change doesn't magically change the character of the people on this board.
Don’t be so hard on yourself. Seriously, just a message board. No need to beat yourself up like this.

Agree 100%.

When people say "give me time" I don't know of they mean 2 years or 6 years. Thanks for clarifying your take.
I am sure there are some out there that think more time is 4-6 years. I think that is crazy. There is no reason it should take Frost more than 2-3 years to get this thing going. Talent isn't an issue. It has been coaching 100%. If Frost is as good of coach as many of us believe he is, I say the first year is a gimme. This gives him time to get his system into place. Gives the players time to really learn the system and see how that translates to games. It gives them time to get everyone on the same page. Anything above 4 wins is ok with me, as long as we show signs of growth throughout the year.
Year 2 we should really start seeing some growth and improvement. The system should be fully in place. While we might not have the exact players Frost wants it should be enough to find success. I am not saying a Big10 championship. I think we should be at 8 or 9 wins and at least be in the conversation.

Hoping? Cripes I can't believe how expectations have lowered so much for some.
I freely admit to being in that boat :p On the other hand, I've never been concerned with the number of wins, I've been concerned with the quality of those wins and losses. Every year, we have a bazillion husker homers out there telling us how great we are. Greatness is winning marque match ups and big games.

What good is it winning 9 games a year just to get your ass handed you year in and year out in the games that really matter? It was the same kind of stupid optimism seeing us ranked 8th in 2016 after playing absolutely no one. We lost 4 of the next 6 losing double digits in 3 of them.

The difference now is I think SF can win in those kinds of games because he has done it as a player and a coach. He knows what it takes. We seem to have unity of purpose in the program from the coach to the AD to the president and regents.

I would rather, 100% of the time, win 6/7 games next year and lose to the likes tOSU and Co. by say, a late field goal or touch down then win 9 games and get blown off the field in the 4 losses to highly ranked teams.

I freely admit to being in that boat :p On the other hand, I've never been concerned with the number of wins, I've been concerned with the quality of those wins and losses. Every year, we have a bazillion husker homers out there telling us how great we are. Greatness is winning marque match ups and big games.

What good is it winning 9 games a year just to get your ass handed you year in and year out in the games that really matter? It was the same kind of stupid optimism seeing us ranked 8th in 2016 after playing absolutely no one. We lost 4 of the next 6 losing double digits in 3 of them.

The difference now is I think SF can win in those kinds of games because he has done it as a player and a coach. He knows what it takes. We seem to have unity of purpose in the program from the coach to the AD to the president and regents.

I would rather, 100% of the time, win 6/7 games next year and lose to the likes tOSU and Co. by say, a late field goal or touch down then win 9 games and get blown off the field in the 4 losses to highly ranked teams.

I can definitely agree with a good part of this
Remember in Callahans last year where NU barely beats Ball State and we are being told - all that matters is that NU won?? HOW we win- matters, it matters a whole bunch

Beat Purdue by 1 point?
Squeak out a win- holding our breath on a last second pass from Northern Arkansas Tech State?
Never putting Rutgers away?
Last years 4 win season- wasnt even 4 solid wins, they were VERY fortunate to get to 4- VERY. Riley given the reigns for another year with this schedule- probably a 2 win team.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
mentality of the team much worse than he knew. Downgraded his prediction from 8 wins next year to saying 8 would be an incredible job by the coaches and worthy of another COY for Frost.

I hope everyone realizes we need to be patient. This isn't going to be a quick fix.

It will probably take a full year. I think we will win the big ten West in 2019. Great coaches have repeatedly demonstrated year 2 is the year they break through.

I do see some posters trying to make excuses for Frost, but there is no need. I fully expect we get 10 wins next year. I'd be very surprised if we got less than 8.

This is a ridiculous expectation. Carroll went 6-6 in year 1 at USC. Saban went 7-6 at Bama in year 1. Herman just went 7-6 in year 1 at Texas. Tressell went 7-5 in year 1 at Ohio State. Some others have done better, but these are the great coaches who have taken over terrible programs.

(Keep in mind, these coaches took over bad programs. Good coaches don't take 9 win teams and turn them into 5-7 teams. This just doesn't happen nowadays)

Great coaches do a few things in year 1 with regularity:

1) Don't have a losing record
2) In year 1, they almost always do as good, or slightly better than the year before. As with any rule, there are a couple exceptions. They certainly don't regress by multiple games in year 1.

8 wins in year 1, especially given the schedule, would be an incredible job.

I do think we will be at least 10-2 in 2019. There is no doubt in my mind Frost is a great one, but he needs some minimal time to install a culture and teach these kids.

Nebraska is terrible at football right now. They need to learn how to play the game (Thanks Riley, Eichorst, and Perlman).

Last edited:
Amazingly accurate post. Some are not going to like it, but it seems like a good portion of the fan base does not really believe in the new staff, and is already setting up excuses. Amazing how hypocritical and sad that is to read.
It's amazing that people that have been proven to have no clue about football pretend to know what they are talking about.

I am so glad you guys stick around

From a few of the comments Frost has made. I don't think he even realized how bad things were.
You are right this is a complete rebuild. From the weight room/ nutrition, to practices, to player schedules, to player mentality. Riley was a nice guy but it could be argued he messed this program up worse than Bo

Uh yeah...from 9 or 10 wins to 4. Hmmmm.....just maybe he messed this program up worse than Bo?

This is a ridiculous expectation. Carroll went 6-6 in year 1 at USC. Saban went 7-6 at Bama in year 1. Herman just went 7-6 in year 1 at Texas. Tressell went 7-5 in year 1 at Ohio State. Some others have done better, but these are the great coaches who have taken over terrible programs.

(Keep in mind, these coaches took over bad programs. Good coaches don't take 9 win teams and turn them into 5-7 teams. This just doesn't happen nowadays)

Great coaches do a few things in year 1 with regularity:

1) Don't have a losing record
2) In year 1, they almost always do as good, or slightly better than the year before. As with any rule, there are a couple exceptions. They certainly don't regress by multiple games in year 1.

8 wins in year 1, especially given the schedule, would be an incredible job.

I do think we will be at least 10-2 in 2019. There is no doubt in my mind Frost is a great one, but he needs some minimal time to install a culture and teach these kids.

Nebraska is terrible at football right now. They need to learn how to play the game (Thanks Riley, Eichorst, and Perlman).

Damn fine post sir! I couldn't possibly agree more.

This is sound. Good post.

but these are the great coaches who have taken over terrible programs.
I see what you're saying, but to be clear Ohio State and Alabama were not terrible programs when Tressel and Saban became head coaches at those schools.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I am sure there are some out there that think more time is 4-6 years. I think that is crazy. There is no reason it should take Frost more than 2-3 years to get this thing going. Talent isn't an issue. It has been coaching 100%. If Frost is as good of coach as many of us believe he is, I say the first year is a gimme. This gives him time to get his system into place. Gives the players time to really learn the system and see how that translates to games. It gives them time to get everyone on the same page. Anything above 4 wins is ok with me, as long as we show signs of growth throughout the year.
Year 2 we should really start seeing some growth and improvement. The system should be fully in place. While we might not have the exact players Frost wants it should be enough to find success. I am not saying a Big10 championship. I think we should be at 8 or 9 wins and at least be in the conversation.

You betcha.

Frost takes over an ultra pathetic four win team that faces a brutal schedule in year one. If MR was still here we'd probably be looking at two or three wins next year. Maybe not even that.

So it might take more than a magic wand to instantly transform NU back into smash-mouth winning program. I'm for giving him one year to turn around the monster sized Beaver disaster. Year two should show a "totally" different NU cfb program. I think he'll hack it!

I am hoping we see real progress as the season progresses to hopefully springboard into year 2 and onward. I don't expect this to be a quick fix but I do think Frost and his staff can get Nebraska back to being in contention for the conference title every year. What they did on the recruiting trail since being hired has me more optimistic than at any point since T.O. retired from the sidelines.

First step is getting back to making a bowl game to get those extra practices and have the players see tangible results. Hopefully getting back to a bowl game will help next season's recruiting class and show that Nebraska is on the upswing.

I'm not exactly sure where you are coming from, but many fans, probably a majority gave each new staff a chance for awhile. We felt good about the wins, even close ones and felt bad about the losses. We hoped each guy would figure it out over time and while we waited, we supported the staff, university and kids. Eventually we saw they weren't up to the task and looked forward to moving on. If giving Frank, Cally, Bo and Riley a break for a couple years makes someone a clown, then I guess I am one. Believe it or not, there were some "clowns" who were patient with Osborne when he couldn't beat OU or win bowl games. The smart fans thought he should have been run out of town and were upset Warren Powers didn't get the job. So yes, you are right, fans don't change. People like me will give Frost the same chance, respect, support, etc. we gave the other guys, see how it goes, and decide down the road.

They got their butts kicked repeatedly so one would expect the mentality of the team to be poor...that's why they got their butts kicked!

Oh I agree, but some posters claimed they knew Riley was going to fail because of his past & Pelini won 9 games a season so Riley was expected to win 9 games minimum per year starting in year 1.

Then we hear about how great Frost is because of what he did at UCF and all of his accolades but now they're telling us to hold back expectations (be ecstatic with 8 wins year 1) because of big bad Riley and our schedule.

Makes no sense and sounds like lower expectations to me for a better coach. Not saying this is coming from you Frosty.

I think your answer is in your own post. Using your numbers, Riley took over a 9 win team and was expected to maintain the status quo, 9 wins, 0% improvement. Frost takes over a 4 win team and can be expected to win 8 games, 100% improvement. 100% > 0%

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Excuse train is starting a little early isn't it? Find it hilarious because in all honesty it won't matter matter how the team performs nothing will be done to Frost.
EXACTLY. Frost gets a pass this first year regardless of how it turns out....unless he doesn't win 4.......I suspect and expect things will be just fine and that he'll get us to a decent bowl game.

Reactions: timnsun
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT