ADVERTISEMENT

ACC - PAC discussing partnership

The remains of the PAC12 will merge with the remains of the BIG12. I see Washington, Oregon, Stanford and ND joining the BIG. You will see Wash. State, Oregon St. Cal, ASU, Az, Utah, Colorado join Iowa State, Kansas, K State, Okla. State, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech and West Virginia. Then they will add a school to make it 16 or possibly 5 schools to make their own 20 school conference.

Now the ACC and BIG East will merge to form their own huge conference this is what I feel will happen as the college football landscape settles.

The remains of the PAC12 will merge with the remains of the BIG12. I see Washington, Oregon, Stanford and ND joining the BIG. You will see Wash. State, Oregon St. Cal, ASU, Az, Utah, Colorado join Iowa State, Kansas, K State, Okla. State, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech and West Virginia. Then they will add a school to make it 16 or possibly 5 schools to make their own 20 school conference.

Now the ACC and BIG East will merge to form their own huge conference this is what I feel will happen as the college football landscape settles.
So the remaining big east schools are going to add fb or will acc drop fb and go bb only

the writing is on the wall - history tells us so

b1g + pac12 will form their own love-the-smell-of-our-own-farts league

sec + acc + notre dame + big 12 + big east will lead college sports into the future, just like they always have

The ACC got Notre Dame once. My bet is they can do it again.

it’s already a much better conference in every way than our league. That one addition is all they need to be more of a ‘super conference’ than the B1G, number of rutgerses or uclas be damned
You are NUTZ

Reactions: sandiegohawk
Your hate for the Big Ten leads to some ridiculously dumb takes.
It’s dumb to think history will repeat itself?

this exact scenario took place a mere 2 years ago. and again 20 years before that!

during COVID, the B1G acted first and was laughed out of the room by the SEC/ACC/big12.

when the BCS was formed, the B1G was reactive, only to also be laughed out of the room by the SEC/ACC/big12.

throughout all of history, the B1G has never been looked to as a thought leader (ironically, considering its members’ opinion of themselves) by anyone except the pac12

I think the ridiculously dumb ones are those who willfully ignore past behavior when considering future decisions

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBaloneyPony
It’s dumb to think history will repeat itself?

this exact scenario took place a mere 2 years ago. and again 20 years before that!

during COVID, the B1G acted first and was laughed out of the room by the SEC/ACC/big12.

when the BCS was formed, the B1G was reactive, only to also be laughed out of the room by the SEC/ACC/big12.

throughout all of history, the B1G has never been looked to as a thought leader (ironically, considering its members’ opinion of themselves) by anyone except the pac12

I think the ridiculously dumb ones are those who willfully ignore past behavior when considering future decisions
I won't ignore past history. YOU learn from history. And one thing historically true is that uterus has been members of 2 failed conferences and can't be trusted. Can't say I want anything to do with UT Austin

Reactions: Baxter48
I won't ignore past history. YOU learn from history. And one thing historically true is that uterus has been members of 2 failed conferences and can't be trusted. Can't say I want anything to do with UT Austin
perhaps UT has left some schools in its wake, but speaking strictly in terms of monetary success, you would have a hard time finding a more successful school than them over the past 40 years

and 3 years from now the Manning kid will be starting at quarterback as they make their way into the SEC.

w🤑w

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
I posted this elsewhere, but I believe it to have some merit.

Whether it be 2 leagues or 4, the teams that are going to be included in the CFP pool is going to be the same schools, whether that number be 70, 64, 56, 48 or whatever. How those teams are divided up isn't going to significantly change the amount a media company is going to pay to have it on their channel.

When do the leagues meet a point of diminishing returns?

For example, if the Big Ten were to get Oregon, Washington, Stanford and Notre Dame, and get to 20 teams, the media rights are going to be what they are. Say they are $125 mil per school, what schools can the Big Ten add, to get to 24, that is going to bring in $125 million each to keep everyone at that level. I am not sure $125 mil is actual, say it is only $100 mil per school adding only Stanford and Notre Dame. Does adding Washington and/or Oregon, just to get to 20, bring in $100 mil a piece in media revenue? Is it something the Big Ten does just to make USC/ UCLA happy and give them more games on the west coast. At what cost to everyone else?

There can still be a 8, 12 or 16 team playoff with 3 or 4 leagues. I just believe leagues are getting to the point of becoming too big and the pie is only going to get so big to where each piece is smaller with every additional team.

Last edited:
perhaps UT has left some schools in its wake, but speaking strictly in terms of monetary success, you would have a hard time finding a more successful school than them over the past 40 years

and 3 years from now the Manning kid will be starting at quarterback as they make their way into the SEC.

w🤑w
Texas will probably continue to under achieve while cherry picking their backyard ever since joining the big12 and producing the least with the most

sec + acc + notre dame + big 12 + big east will lead college sports into the future, just like they always have
B1G shoved a dagger into the back of the Pac 12, just like the SEC stuck a dagger into the back of the Big 12 last year. There is no loyalty among the conferences, it's everyone for themselves with the SEC and the B1G ahead of all the others.

Not a chance about Notre Dame joining the SEC. This stuff is in motion as we post and be prepared for a BIG conference when it goes from the west coast to the east coast. I think people should really listen to

2022 Episode 16: Welcome USC and UCLA Husker Doc Talk

This podcast hits the nail on the head.

Not a chance about Notre Dame joining the SEC. This stuff is in motion as we post and be prepared for a BIG conference when it goes from the west coast to the east coast. I think people should really listen to

This podcast it hits the nail on the head.
Notre Dame is already a member of the ACC in every sport but football

Notre Dame already joined the ACC in football once, in 2020

Notre Dame will once again join the ACC, which is already in bed via Disney with the SEC

Notre Dame will once again join the ACC, which is already in bed via Disney with the SEC
Not a chance. Notre Dame is hammering out the last details with the BIG, that's why Washington and Oregon were told to wait until Notre Dame is in which will be soon. Washington and Oregon I believe have submitted requests to join the BIG but were told to wait for Notre Dame. Not a chance for Notre Dame to join the ACC when it's soon to be raided by the SEC, bye, bye Fla. State, Clemson, Miami, North Carlolina, Duke and Virginia.

Last edited:

The only way Notre Dame joins a conference would be for money. Even as a member of the ACC, there is no way that League will come close to matching what they can get with the big 10. The exit fee for their Olympic sports leaving the ACC would be a minor blip in the overall scheme of things and the big 10 would probably help pay that fee.

The only way Notre Dame joins a conference would be for money. Even as a member of the ACC, there is no way that League will come close to matching what they can get with the big 10. The exit fee for their Olympic sports leaving the ACC would be a minor blip in the overall scheme of things and the big 10 would probably help pay that fee.
Agree. It would be in the best financial interests of the BIG and each member school to give ND a significant discount in their membership buy in compared to other recent additions. I fear it won’t happen as ego will get in the way of business

Reactions: BleedRed78
I disagree. The real reason ND would join a conference is if they could dictate the terms.

The ACC would allow them to do just that.

Those ACC hockey teams must be real tough.

The ACC will soon become a shadow of it's former self once the SEC raids it.
I'm not sure the SEC raids the ACC, the markets just aren't big enough to make SEC teams whole and definitely not big enough for the SEC to help buy out 1 or 2 ACC teams that might make a difference.

I'm not sure the SEC raids the ACC, the markets just aren't big enough to make SEC teams whole and definitely not big enough for the SEC to help buy out 1 or 2 ACC teams that might make a difference.
Good point. Really not expanding the footprint. AND do they REALLY ( Bama & Georgia ) want to bring in Clemson

Some folks wildly disagreed with the B1G over covid, but don't let the "show me on the doll where Kevin Warren touched you" factor cloud your judgement.

If there are going to be only 2 real conferences, OSU is going to be in one of them. There's no doubts about that. Now they *could* leave for the SEC or ACC, but they don't need to do so. They drive (now along with USC) the richest conference in the country, and don't have to leave the ivory tower money behind either to chase football glory in the South where only tailgating and elite recruiting matters.

OSU sits atop a money making empire that literally spans from coast to coast and has been well represented in the CFP. They will be well represented in any future CFP. And recruits nationwide will still come play for them, even if Purdue never stops being Purdue on the gridiron.

Good point. Really not expanding the footprint. AND do they REALLY ( Bama & Georgia ) want to bring in Clemson
I think Clemson gets way too much credit here. I know I sound like a broken record but Clemson has only been relative, outside of a year or two with Danny Ford in the early 80's, since Dabo took over. So if I am the SEC, I need to ask myself, is this Clemson or is this Dabo Swinney??

The town of Clemson, SC is about 20,000 without the student population. Sounds like a bunch of the old Big 8 teams that aren't worth enough to join the Big Ten, and barely big enough to join a new version of the Big 12/Pac12/AAC mega deal. Juss Sayin'

I'm generally of the opinion that Kongs viewpoint is more traditionally minded (or at least traditional assumptions) than Tuco's.

When there were 5 conferences, talent had alot of choices, and performance on the gridiron was one way to make a selection as to which school to commit to. That will always be a factor, and has landed in the SEC's favor as of the last two decades. As is the "talent is already in the south" geography factor.

However, if there are only going to be 2 super conferences of say 40-48 teams, there's a huge compression factor that's about to take place. The couple of thousand kids who wanted a chance to play on a "real" CFB team are no longer picking from 120 schools, they are picking from less than 50. And in reality, the top recruits are only going to be able to pick from about 20 schools or less (even in the "mega" conferences, half the teams are more or less dead weight, even in the SEC) who make winning a priority and aren't just happy to collect the tv money and move on (like say Indiana).

Access to the resources of the mega conference schools is about to be a huge differentiator of why HS talent picks schools. Folks who would previously shun NU to go be the lone 4* at ISU are probably going to basically only go to ISU now if one of the top two dozen schools or so in the mega conferences don't have a spot for them.

Last edited:
I think Clemson gets way too much credit here. I know I sound like a broken record but Clemson has only been relative, outside of a year or two with Danny Ford in the early 80's, since Dabo took over. So if I am the SEC, I need to ask myself, is this Clemson or is this Dabo Swinney??

The town of Clemson, SC is about 20,000 without the student population. Sounds like a bunch of the old Big 8 teams that aren't worth enough to join the Big Ten, and barely big enough to join a new version of the Big 12/Pac12/AAC mega deal. Juss Sayin'

FSU is not what it what once, nor is Miami. There's plenty of Miami hate on this board over what a shit program they are with little fan support. Now we want to act like those schools are going to make an embiggened SEC ultra powerful or unstoppable. It's not the case. Those schools don't even really embiggen the SEC tv footprint except to add some eyeballs in deep south florida (who are already watching ACC and SEC football). Clemson is certainly one retirement away from irrelevance.

FFS, we don't even know if Bama will successfully pick itself up off the mat when Saban retires or if they are going to go on sabbatical again in CFB mediocrity. Florida and Texas hoping they made good hires as well as OU.

While I like the SEC's position generally, its not outside the realm of possibility they take a competitive step backwards in the coming years. I'm not sure a Georgia/Lincoln Riley-less OU led SEC is going to be the same bellcow that the golden years of Bama/LSU/Florida/Georgia were.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
I hope like hell it does... this was a BS move

I hope snagging the California schools doesn't come back to bite the conference in the ass. They should be moving much quicker on getting the few remaining worthy teams and be the first actual full size superconference.
Which few remaining worthy teams are going to keep everyone whole? Especially when you consider that USC/ UCLA just added about $10-15 mil per school to the annual media revenue. Again, I am just not sure you are going to get to a point, where adding more teams, outside of Notre Dame, is going to keep each team at the level they will be with 16 teams.

Which few remaining worthy teams are going to keep everyone whole? Especially when you consider that USC/ UCLA just added about $10-15 mil per school to the annual media revenue. Again, I am just not sure you are going to get to a point, where adding more teams, outside of Notre Dame, is going to keep each team at the level they will be with 16 teams.

I think the B1G would be willing to expand for other reasons if it slightly diminishes the pie. Adding schools like Cal or Stanford would bring more academic money than football money, and probably more than enough to offset the diminished football money since academic money at that level is measured in hundreds of millions or better.

They might be willing to add UNC at a slight loss for a southern tv market, expanded recruiting footprint, and to stick their fingers in the SEC/ACC eyes. I believe they could add Washington and not diminish the pie too much, to lock down the Pac NW tv market.

Football is a national sport. SEC fatigue was/is real. If the B1G owns basically every tv market but the old Confederacy, any future entity wanting to display legitimate championship football will have to negotiate with it. TV dollars can't be driven by southern eyeballs alone. Even if all the best teams are in the South, CFB cannot survive nationally as a game played in a 10 state bubble in the old confederacy, of which only 4-6 of those teams legitimately have a chance to win that conference and almost never at the same time.

Even the NFL would be a shell of its glory, if the only thing viewers could watch was NFC East and AFC North football every week as real, competitive football.

Like it not college football is headed for two twenty team super conferences, BIG & SEC. The two new super conferences will have a playoff just like the NFL has in place. The winners of the two super conferences will play for the National Championship and the payout will be spread evenly to the rest of the conference. I believe schools not in the two super conferences will play for their own national championship only at a lower level but still a national Championship.

This is not my idea, I wish it were but I listened to this on "HUSKER DOC TALK" hosted by: Dr. Rob Zatechka and Travis Justice. I know many aren't going to like the idea but financially it make perfect sense in todays world. This will be a case of who is lucky to have a seat at the table when the games begin and who is left out. This set up has nothing to do with college basketball or baseball or other college sports, they already have a good system in place this is purely a football set up.

I encourage you to listen to the podcast it's really good and worth the time. EPISODE 16 Welcome USC and UCLA
With the way FCS schools have flooded the BCS ranks it is not surprising to see this. The FCS can not pay what the BCS schools make from the bowl games. Time to thin the herd of the BCS ranks and create a new division.

This podcast hits the nail on the head.
Totally agree with 90%of what they discussed and have said so as well

If we throw out political fit, and just go with "cultural" fit, Notre Dame doesn't belong in the SEC. They are a B1G school in all but affiliation.

I'd like to get them, but I'm not sure they are a "must get". Certainly would be a huge boon for the conference though if we can.

I think the B1G would be willing to expand for other reasons if it slightly diminishes the pie. Adding schools like Cal or Stanford would bring more academic money than football money, and probably more than enough to offset the diminished football money since academic money at that level is measured in hundreds of millions or better.

They might be willing to add UNC at a slight loss for a southern tv market, expanded recruiting footprint, and to stick their fingers in the SEC/ACC eyes. I believe they could add Washington and not diminish the pie too much, to lock down the Pac NW tv market.

Football is a national sport. SEC fatigue was/is real. If the B1G owns basically every tv market but the old Confederacy, any future entity wanting to display legitimate championship football will have to negotiate with it. TV dollars can't be driven by southern eyeballs alone. Even if all the best teams are in the South, CFB cannot survive nationally as a game played in a 10 state bubble in the old confederacy, of which only 4-6 of those teams legitimately have a chance to win that conference and almost never at the same time.

Even the NFL would be a shell of its glory, if the only thing viewers could watch was NFC East and AFC North football every week as real, competitive football.
Just like civil war times. Most people don't realize it wasn't confined to east of the Mississippi River. It worked its way to the west coast. History does try to repeat itself!!!

Just like civil war times. Most people don't realize it wasn't confined to east of the Mississippi River. It worked its way to the west coast. History does try to repeat itself!!!

Yah, while the B1G doesn't have all of the tippy top teams, its building a stable and defendable conference. At the very minimum it has tv markets to bargain with in any future shake up.

The SEC while its good today, has a fairly small tv footprint, and is realistically only 3 or 4 coaches busting from basically being irrelevant as a conference even if Georgia ends up ruling CFB for the next 15 years. That's a lot of pressure to put on a small number of teams to hold up the future of the conference.

Saban will retire in the near future. Sark/Venables/Napier/Kelly are all "new" blood. Next few years will be interesting.

The SEC's basic advantage is their collective performance. If its not top tier, no one from Ohio or Utah or California is watching a Saturday night game between LSU and Ole Miss. The B1G's advantage is its built more like Disney World. There's basically something for everyone in the family, and there's going to be a game on that's in your region if that's what you care about. There's alot more room for error in the B1G's model.

Last edited:
If we throw out political fit, and just go with "cultural" fit, Notre Dame doesn't belong in the SEC. They are a B1G school in all but affiliation.
From a university mission and with a few exceptions, they’re actually much more closely aligned with the ACC schools than the B1G.

Let’s face it - the B1G institutions tend to be large, land grant state schools with a focus on advanced & doctoral studies and lot and lots of research. That’s a different profile than ND and aligns better with their current ACC counterparts.

When push comes to shove and ND decides to forgo its legendary independent stance, I won’t be surprised if they elect to stay with the ACC IF - and this is a big if - their conference leadership can show a path forward beyond “we’re hanging tight until our GOR expires in 2035.” The music will have long since stopped and the chairs at the big boy table will all be taken by then.

UNC would be a factor more than Clemson. To me Clemson is like Oregon under Chip Kelly, without the marketing genius of Nike and Phil Knight. IF Dabo goes away and they don't hire someone that has equal success, Clemson is Kansas St or Iowa St, just like they were before Dabo.
Actually according to the ranking of Universities by the number of TV viewers posted earlier, Clemson is far ahead of North Carolina in terms of eyeballs watching their games. Of course that does have a lot to do with Clemson's success on the field.

Actually according to the ranking of Universities by the number of TV viewers posted earlier, Clemson is far ahead of North Carolina in terms of eyeballs watching their games. Of course that does have a lot to do with Clemson's success on the field.
I could really care less about viewership. That is how the TV people get paid back the 100s of millions of dollars they pay to the leagues.

Clemson's game against Georgia in week 1 drew about 9,000,000 viewers, then they had 5 games were less than 200,000 people watched. The next highest viewed game after the Georgia game was 2,185,000 against Pitt. Outside of the game against Georgia, Clemson averaged about 1,000,000 viewers per game. So in reality, even with the success on the field and a couple of games in the marquee time slots, they still averaged less viewership than flyover schools Nebraska and Iowa.

My point is and was that Clemson is a small market team, that gets some marquee tv slots based on current success. When/ if that goes away, they are no different than Kansas St and Iowa St. The fact that they had 5 games with less than 200,000 people watched proves that. Add to that the SEC already has the South Carolina market, Clemson doesn't even add to the footprint. They simply aren't needed.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
Good point, who in the last 5 years is the only realistic threat to Bama or Georgia, It’s been Clemson, better facing them in a NC game than a conference Championship game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT