ADVERTISEMENT

ACC - PAC discussing partnership

What if the B1G and SEC coordinated a raid on the ACC to crack the media rights contract? I assume there likely is a clause in the ACC media rights grant where it becomes null and void if a certain number of teams decide to leave the conference all at once. Just throwing that out there. The big dogs in the ACC would have a financial incentive to bolt the conference for the two super conferences.

It is going to be very funny when the ACC becomes the second ‘super conference’ while the B1G celebrates usc vs purdue at 8am Pacific

• Haha
Reactions: NikkiSixx and WHCSC
It is going to be very funny when the ACC becomes the second ‘super conference’ while the B1G celebrates usc vs purdue at 8am Pacific
The ACC would have to pillage the SEC and/or BIG to become a super conference. Big 12 is in shambles. Pac has a few good but not great teams. I guess they could go after UCF. ;)

Reactions: huskerfan66
The ACC would have to pillage the SEC and/or BIG to become a super conference. Big 12 is in shambles. Pac has a few good but not great teams. I guess they could go after UCF. ;)
The ACC got Notre Dame once. My bet is they can do it again.

it’s already a much better conference in every way than our league. That one addition is all they need to be more of a ‘super conference’ than the B1G, number of rutgerses or uclas be damned

• Haha
Reactions: NikkiSixx and WHCSC

it’s already a much better conference in every way than our league. That one addition is all they need to be more of a ‘super conference’ than the B1G, number of rutgerses or uclas be damned
These days a super conference is defined by the dollars it gets for its media rights and then pays out to each member team. Fans can agree or disagree with that definition but it is those bucks driving everything.

Nothing homogenous about it lol yuck
I'm a slow learner, but a visual representation helps get past the decrepit brain parts singed from lifestyle choices in the 70's, 80's and 90's. That graphic tells the story and shows the challenges they'll have keeping any kind of a merger or alliance together. As I used to tell women from the north side of Atlanta when I lived clear down in Peachtree City, "you're awesome ... but geographically undesirable".

I hope snagging the California schools doesn't come back to bite the conference in the ass. They should be moving much quicker on getting the few remaining worthy teams and be the first actual full size superconference.
B1G is waiting first on the Notre Dame decision to join the B1G and, IF that happens, then likely the next move by the SEC to crack open the ACC as its response.

The best outcome after a Notre Dame decision would be for the B1G and SEC to come together and collaborate. They could take alternating turns drafting (picking) from the remaining teams to fill up to whatever size they deem desirable as two brother conferences. Then they could set up their own playoff system and rules leaving the NCAA in the dust.

ACC loosely has Notre Dame. Other than ND, what other team is worth grabbing that is on the potential market? Maybe Oregon/Washington.

Reactions: BleedRed78
B1G is waiting first on the Notre Dame decision to join the B1G and, IF that happens, then likely the next move by the SEC to crack open the ACC as its response.

The best outcome after a Notre Dame decision would be for the B1G and SEC to come together and collaborate. They could take alternating turns drafting (picking) from the remaining teams to fill up to whatever size they deem desirable as two brother conferences. Then they could set up their own playoff system and rules leaving the NCAA in the dust.
IF they're going to do something like that, I'd prefer a suggestion I read elsewhere: separate CFB from the rest of the olympic/university sports and make it stand alone as it's own thing with it's own affiliations. Keep the other sports "regional" to manage travel costs and retain "rivalries".

Yes, we might need to be in two conferences. So what. There are a number of schools who do that and manage those affiliations just fine.

Best of both worlds IYAM, IMO, etc.

ACC loosely has Notre Dame. Other than ND, what other team is worth grabbing that is on the potential market? Maybe Oregon/Washington.
with ND, ACC would pay members as much or more than the b1g

people assuming ND is a shoo-in with the b1g must be conveniently forgetting the fact ND is already a full member of the ACC in every sport but football

people assuming ND is a shoo-in with the b1g must be conveniently forgetting the fact ND is already a full member of the ACC in every sport but football
I agree and if the ACC gets ND, I don't see where the ACC goes from there. The PAC merger is the last desperate attempt at stability but how long does that last as the SEC/BIG start whispering into ACC members' ears?

The problem is that ND likely would not be willing to do an equal revenue share with the rest of the teams in the ACC. That's always been a stumbling block for Notre Dame joining any conference. They want/demand special privileges above other conference members. Now IF they recognize the landscape has changed and agree to do an equal revenue share, they'd be better off in the B1G (ie., their equal share would be bigger in the B1G).

I agree and if the ACC gets ND, I don't see where the ACC goes from there. The PAC merger is the last desperate attempt at stability but how long does that last as the SEC/BIG start whispering into ACC members' ears?
they wouldn't need to go anywhere

the next natural step would be an alliance with the SEC, which would never do business with the snot-nosed, holier-than-thou b1g

ACC + SEC will be the future of college football. it already has been its past and present

The problem is that ND likely would not be willing to do an equal revenue share with the rest of the teams in the ACC. That's always been a stumbling block for Notre Dame joining any conference. They want/demand special privileges above other conference members. Now IF they recognize the landscape has changed and agree to do an equal revenue share, they'd be better off in the B1G (ie., their equal share would be bigger in the B1G).
the ACC is smart and would not require that of ND

the ACC members are smart and also would agree to special terms with ND

the b1g will stand its ground based on hubris and imagined tradition, and thus will be undone

anyone who disagrees with my last 2 posts simply haven't been paying attention

that exact thing (ACC+SEC taking the wheel while b1g shoves all its collective heads up its own ass) has already happened during the most tumultuous time in college football. TWICE!

first when the BCS was invented, and second during COVID

if you think the b1g has learned from its past mistakes, well, I'd say that's very typical b1g fan thinking

we may look back and say that we took the bag far too early

the ACC is smart and would not require that of ND

the ACC members are smart and also would agree to special terms with ND

the b1g will stand its ground based on hubris and imagined tradition, and thus will be undone
Then the ACC members fall behind in the revenue race. They may keep the conference alive a while longer but lose out on matching B1G/SEC media dollars. I don't think schools like Clemson, Florida State, etc. are going to be content to see their neighbors rake in much bigger paychecks. That's what drove USC and UCLA out of the PAC.

And even Notre Dame, with as rich of a special media deal it had, will also fall behind the B1G and SEC in terms of dollars. Especially if they get cut off from playing some of their traditional rivals in the B1G.

Last edited:

the next natural step would be an alliance with the SEC, which would never do business with the snot-nosed, holier-than-thou b1g

ACC + SEC will be the future of college football. it already has been its past and present
The current ACC is the Big 12 of yesteryear. There are some schools that add value, then a bunch of schools that are leaches.

As far as Media Revenue goes, North Carolina, Virginia, Pitt, Syracuse and Boston College are the only schools that would add new markets to the SEC, maybe Miami since it is so far south of Gainesville. Getting Clemson, Florida St etc.. are cool, but they don't really add value to the SEC media coffers.

Duke is on par with Kansas because you don't need Duke if you have UNC.

NC St and Wake add no value, again UNC gets that market

Virginia Tech is not needed, neither are Georgia Tech or Louisville.

The ACC, in it's current form is earning teams about $36 mil in media rights, no way does ND bring in enough to get the ACC an additional $64 mil plus per team.

The current ACC is the Big 12 of yesteryear. There are some schools that add value, then a bunch of schools that are leaches.

As far as Media Revenue goes, North Carolina, Virginia, Pitt, Syracuse and Boston College are the only schools that would add new markets to the SEC, maybe Miami since it is so far south of Gainesville. Getting Clemson, Florida St etc.. are cool, but they don't really add value to the SEC media coffers.

Duke is on par with Kansas because you don't need Duke if you have UNC.

NC St and Wake add no value, again UNC gets that market

Virginia Tech is not needed, neither are Georgia Tech or Louisville.

The ACC, in it's current form is earning teams about $36 mil in media rights, no way does ND bring in enough to get the ACC an additional $64 mil plus per team.
you are thinking about this very traditionally, Tuco. I don't blame you.

here is what we know:

the ACC + ND will not stand pat
the B1G has always been wrong

whatever shakes out, my guess is we'll sadly be left in the non-competitive and completely irrelevant cold while the rest of our leaguemates act like we've won

history always repeats itself

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC

Take away Clemson and the ACC is pretty poor.

you are thinking about this very traditionally, Tuco. I don't blame you.

here is what we know:

the ACC + ND will not stand pat
the B1G has always been wrong

whatever shakes out, my guess is we'll sadly be left in the non-competitive and completely irrelevant cold while the rest of our leaguemates act like we've won

history always repeats itself
I know where you are coming from, but the ACC + ND standing pat isn't the issue. IF I read your post correctly, you believe that if ND joined the ACC as a full member that the ACC would change their formula to allow for unequal revenue sharing. I am not necessarily opposed to that model, I just don't believe it is much of a selling point to other schools not named Ohio St.

Fans measure winning in wins

Athletic departments/universities measure winning in dollars

the 2 don’t need to be mutually exclusive

right now both the fans and the athletic departments in the SEC are winning

Last edited:
Reactions: nwualum
I know where you are coming from, but the ACC + ND standing pat isn't the issue. IF I read your post correctly, you believe that if ND joined the ACC as a full member that the ACC would change their formula to allow for unequal revenue sharing. I am not necessarily opposed to that model, I just don't believe it is much of a selling point to other schools not named Ohio St.
I believe we will see the mold of traditional 1-to-1 media deals come to an end following the b1g's new negotiation

do not be surprised to see ESPN (home of ACC & SEC today) go after FOX's 2nd best collegiate tv property (Big East hoops) in addition to Notre Dame

a collective deal with all parties & Disney encompassing all 3 conferences would represent a true breakaway without needing to bring any more non-traditional schools along to suck up revenue

it would also firmly place itself among the b1g's biggest east coast media markets, but with much better brands (NYC - syracuse > rutgers, DC - georgetown + UVA/VT > maryland)

b1g would also lose in its beloved chicago market (notre dame), and be left with no other option than to combine with the pac12 to form the biggest who cares conference of hoity toity douchebags ever

Last edited:
Like it not college football is headed for two twenty team super conferences, BIG & SEC. The two new super conferences will have a playoff just like the NFL has in place. The winners of the two super conferences will play for the National Championship and the payout will be spread evenly to the rest of the conference. I believe schools not in the two super conferences will play for their own national championship only at a lower level but still a national Championship.

This is not my idea, I wish it were but I listened to this on "HUSKER DOC TALK" hosted by: Dr. Rob Zatechka and Travis Justice. I know many aren't going to like the idea but financially it make perfect sense in todays world. This will be a case of who is lucky to have a seat at the table when the games begin and who is left out. This set up has nothing to do with college basketball or baseball or other college sports, they already have a good system in place this is purely a football set up.

I encourage you to listen to the podcast it's really good and worth the time. EPISODE 16 Welcome USC and UCLA

Last edited:
I believe we will see the mold of traditional 1-to-1 media deals come to an end following the b1g's new negotiation

do not be surprised to see ESPN (home of ACC & SEC today) go after FOX's 2nd best collegiate tv property (Big East hoops) in addition to Notre Dame

a collective deal with all parties & Disney encompassing all 3 conferences would represent a true breakaway without needing to bring any more non-traditional schools along to suck up revenue

it would also firmly place itself among the b1g's biggest east coast media markets, but with much better brands (NYC - syracuse > rutgers, DC - georgetown + UVA/VT > maryland)

b1g would also lose in its beloved chicago market (notre dame)
Agree with the first part. I could see the traditional media deals come to an end.

I don't think the Big East basketball TV deal will have much, if any effect on the Big Ten.

I also don't believe the Big Ten really counts on the Chicago market any more than it does the NYC market. They get the additional cable/ tv revenue because there are schools in the footprint. Just like they get the LA market now. The user fees in the LA market, for the Big Ten network, will go from like $.10/ per subscriber to $1.50 per subscriber per month. Northwestern and Illinois or Rutgers does virtually nothing to the strength of the Big Ten other than monetary. That isn't changing because Big East basketball would be on ESPN.

Reactions: king_kong_
Agree with the first part. I could see the traditional media deals come to an end.

I don't think the Big East basketball TV deal will have much, if any effect on the Big Ten.

I also don't believe the Big Ten really counts on the Chicago market any more than it does the NYC market. They get the additional cable/ tv revenue because there are schools in the footprint. Just like they get the LA market now. The user fees in the LA market, for the Big Ten network, will go from like $.10/ per subscriber to $1.50 per subscriber per month. Northwestern and Illinois or Rutgers does virtually nothing to the strength of the Big Ten other than monetary. That isn't changing because Big East basketball would be on ESPN.
that exact reason is why the b1g will sit on its laurels while the ACC and Notre Dame position themselves for a future in the sidecar of the SEC

So are you suggesting that ND would have to be offered special non equal revenue sharing to join?

And if so osu would want the same? Not trying to put words in your mouth just asking.

IF so, sounds like the old Texas 2 step

that exact reason is why the b1g will sit on its laurels while the ACC and Notre Dame position themselves for a future in the sidecar of the SEC
I guess I don't consider adding the LA market as sitting on it's laurels.

If I am being honest, I don't think ND will join the ACC. I would imagine adding ND as a full member would trigger some sort of renegotiation. Splitting the same pie into 15 slices rather than 14 benefits no one. Creating a new deal may also allow the Big Ten to poach UNC and Virginia.

Notre Dame knows the score and even though they may want more than other schools in a conference that ain't happening by joining the BIG or the SEC. Notre Dame may have some power but not more than an entire conference like the two major ones.

So are you suggesting that ND would have to be offered special non equal revenue sharing to join?

And if so osu would want the same? Not trying to put words in your mouth just asking.

IF so, sounds like the old Texas 2 step
Not me, I was just replying to the point that King Kong made about the ACC and ND.

My point about tOSU was that if the ACC wanted to expand, there aren't many schools that would join a league with unequal revenue sharing, especially a league that includes ND. Ohio St was my example of a school with the clout to do that. There aren't many, if any others.

Not me, I was just replying to the point that King Kong made about the ACC and ND.

My point about tOSU was that if the ACC wanted to expand, there aren't many schools that would join a league with unequal revenue sharing, especially a league that includes ND. Ohio St was my example of a school with the clout to do that. There aren't many, if any others.
Gotcha. Thanks

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
I guess I don't consider adding the LA market as sitting on it's laurels.

If I am being honest, I don't think ND will join the ACC. I would imagine adding ND as a full member would trigger some sort of renegotiation. Splitting the same pie into 15 slices rather than 14 benefits no one. Creating a new deal may also allow the Big Ten to poach UNC and Virginia.
fair.

I agree it would trigger a renegotiation. the pie would be much, much larger with ND baked in - even if the revenue share isn't exactly equal between members (it wouldn't be).

big ten adding usc/ucla gets us closer to exactly what we expected would happen at the outset of this game of musical chairs

the end result will be:

acc + notre dame + sec + half of the big12 (champions league that makes the most money)
b1g + pac12 (loser league that makes lots of money)

I really don't know why so many are swimming upstream here. it's extremely obvious & has literally already happened twice in recent history.

• Haha
fair.

I agree it would trigger a renegotiation. the pie would be much, much larger with ND baked in - even if the revenue share isn't exactly equal between members (it wouldn't be).

big ten adding usc/ucla gets us closer to exactly what we expected would happen at the outset of this game of musical chairs

the end result will be:

acc + notre dame + sec + half of the big12 (champions league that makes the most money)
b1g + pac12 (loser league that makes lots of money)

I really don't know why so many are swimming upstream here. it's extremely obvious & has literally already happened twice in recent history.
I think you are giving ACC/ ND/ half the Big 12 too much credit as far as champions league goes. The SEC doesn't need them at all.

I think you are giving ACC/ ND/ half the Big 12 too much credit as far as champions league goes. The SEC doesn't need them at all.
again, you are thinking about this in a very traditional fashion

Disney runs the show here, not the SEC

with that trio plus Big East hoops in the winter, nobody will be watching much FOX, and certainly no national champion will come from outside of Disney property

@konaki is right about a new league forming. he's just wrong to include the B1G in it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT