ADVERTISEMENT

6 unpopular opinions

artguy68

Junior
Nov 3, 2008
1. Frost needs to be our coach for the long haul, and we have to accept that he is not ready and live with it. This means that we are going to need to wait. A long time. Perhaps 10 years. Rotating coaches is not the answer at a place like NU. Frost understands what it means to coach here better than anyone qualified for the position, and he has seen what it takes to be at the pinnacle. However, he lacks cleverness, wisdom, and maturity, which leads to...

2. Appearances. Frost needs to grow up, starting with how he dresses. Today he dressed like he was about to go out and buck hay. He needs to look like he is in charge and serious about what he does. Then, there are the uniforms. I know it is the fashion to bring out alt uniforms (and probably a profitable marketing scheme to sell merch), but this is a team who won one game in a year. Take care of business and let success lead to swagger. Because...

3. One win is not success. After the Penn State game, 12 blackshirts were awarded. Players talked about a lightness in practice. It was like they accomplished something worth breaking out champagne. Unless their season goal was to not to go winless, they should never have treated the players like they "turned a corner", as Frost likes to say. One clear example of their need a reality check is at QB because...

4. Luke is Mickey Joseph part 2. He runs well, but he has only been effective in 1 of his last 8 quarters. Otherwise he has been average or a liability. He is electric, yes, but he is one dimensional and he will eventually get hurt (hopefully not by getting slammed into a metal bench on a late hit). Speaking of the Big 8...

5. Nebraska does not belong in the Big 10. And no, it is not because I think the Big 10 and the refs hate them-- although I do think it is true that the love is not there. Nebraska is, by far, the worst academic school. The only school not in the top 100 (currently #133). Nebraska is also geographically the farthest away, and save for Iowa, it does not compete for recruits well in Big 10 states. We are also the second smallest school by a healthy distance. We would be in the middle in the Big 12 but have lost footing in this region, which means...

6. The next recruiting class is not good. Yes, Rivals ranks it as top 20 at present and yes, it features Fidone. But overall it looks very pedestrian. And what happened to the 6 JUCO recruits we brought in this year with much hullabaloo? Only Payne has done much of anything and the season is half over.

1. Frost needs to be our coach for the long haul, and we have to accept that he is not ready and live with it. This means that we are going to need to wait. A long time. Perhaps 10 years. Rotating coaches is not the answer at a place like NU. Frost understands what it means to coach here better than anyone qualified for the position, and he has seen what it takes to be at the pinnacle. However, he lacks cleverness, wisdom, and maturity, which leads to...

2. Appearances. Frost needs to grow up, starting with how he dresses. Today he dressed like he was about to go out and buck hay. He needs to look like he is in charge and serious about what he does. Then, there are the uniforms. I know it is the fashion to bring out alt uniforms (and probably a profitable marketing scheme to sell merch), but this is a team who won one game in a year. Take care of business and let success lead to swagger. Because...

3. One win is not success. After the Penn State game, 12 blackshirts were awarded. Players talked about a lightness in practice. It was like they accomplished something worth breaking out champagne. Unless their season goal was to not to go winless, they should never have treated the players like they "turned a corner", as Frost likes to say. One clear example of their need a reality check is at QB because...

4. Luke is Mickey Joseph part 2. He runs well, but he has only been effective in 1 of his last 8 quarters. Otherwise he has been average or a liability. He is electric, yes, but he is one dimensional and he will eventually get hurt (hopefully not by getting slammed into a metal bench on a late hit). Speaking of the Big 8...

5. Nebraska does not belong in the Big 10. And no, it is not because I think the Big 10 and the refs hate them-- although I do think it is true that the love is not there. Nebraska is, by far, the worst academic school. The only school not in the top 100 (currently #133). Nebraska is also geographically the farthest away, and save for Iowa, it does not compete for recruits well in Big 10 states. We are also the second smallest school by a healthy distance. We would be in the middle in the Big 12 but have lost footing in this region, which means...

6. The next recruiting class is not good. Yes, Rivals ranks it as top 20 at present and yes, it features Fidone. But overall it looks very pedestrian. And what happened to the 6 JUCO recruits we brought in this year with much hullabaloo? Only Payne has done much of anything and the season is half over.
1. 100% every time we fire a coach the deeper we dig in. And I'm not talking financially.
2. Meh, you sound like a boomer. Not a problem if the score was reversed today.
3. I agree. Yes, we needed the Pedo win. No, Frost didnt need to let us know how bad.
4. See #1. He need experience and a better OL.
5. I agree.
6. I agree.

1) Frost needs to stay for continuity but this being year 3 he also needs to look for areas of improvement on the staff. I can't see and hear practices, etc but when players seem to regress, when opposing teams out-scheme NU, and when players never execute in certain situations something is wrong. Also a certain level of attrition is normal but NU seems to be losing a larger than expected level of valuable players. Why?
2) I don't care about this. Win and you can dress any way you want.
3) Agree. The team clearly looks like it rested on its very low-bar laurels. Enough of the silly things like alt uniforms.
4) Luke was the number one recruit in Colorado, a state with 5.7 million people, in 2018. Was that just as an athlete and not as a QB? This offense is not geared around the power-I and option. The QB must be good throwing the ball and I would put that as a more critical skill than being fast. Luke, right now, does not look like a true QB and would be better served as a receiver/running back. Maybe with better OL and weapons around him he would be better. I don't know right now.
5) Nebraska needs to figure this out for the long run. The Big 10 states are not good for recruiting. Texas no longer provides a half dozen quality players every class. To me, the conferences exist entirely for athletics and academic rankings are of no value in choosing a conference. Money matters but that comes second to success. I would rather take my chances in the SEC than keep the status quo.
6) Recruiting is a function of on-field success and Frost is now running out of time to show recruits that NU's best days are ahead. Player development and retention are also critical now and need to be fully evaluated as part of answer 1.

Had something typed out.

this team is just a bottom dweller. They need to figure out how to win, and I can’t see them doing that consistently with the OL and QB play

Frosts offense is terrible

We will be Kansas if Frost is around longer than 5 years.

Everybody sees where this is going and it ain’t pretty. It’s going to get ten times harder now as recruits are taking notice. Keep Frost for ten years and might as well put the final nail in the coffin of Nebraska football.

agree.
hes not going anywhere for the foreseeable future.
mostly mistakes —> lack of execution.
simplify?
other teams seem to run basic stuff and just brutalize us.
we havent been able to stop a ten yard out route for a first down in 20 years.

Had something typed out.

this team is just a bottom dweller. They need to figure out how to win, and I can’t see them doing that consistently with the OL and QB play

Frosts offense is terrible
Frost’s offense is terrible because he doesn’t have or hasn’t developed a QB yet that he needs to run it. Until he has that piece, he won’t have much success. Of course he needs the rest too (WR, RB, OL), but it starts at the QB position.

1) Agree but dissagree on the 10 year mark. We give him that long we might become Kansas. Give him 6 max.
2) Don’t care how he dresses. I’d like for our team to stop doing these Friday hype “the good life” videos. We look ridiculous.
3) Keep the alternative jerseys, it’s 2020, it’s part of evolution.
4) Agree. Luke should not be the future QB. He’s an athlete, not a QB. Let’s recruit a grad transfer who can throw downfield. Only way this happens is if Martinez transfers out.
5) Agree but we aren’t going anywhere per president Carter. We never hear John Cook complain. Sounds like it’s just a football issue.
6) Who knows at this point. Attrition and development is equally as important.

It starts with the OLB. For going on 5-6 years we have had terrible OL play. These guys are not good, period, and that includes Cam. Our line is among the worst in P5 football and it hasn’t gotten any better under Frost. Not even a little. To get blown up by a Dline as bad as Illinois over and over is just sad.

At least we no longer need to spend $40 million or whatever it is on a new facility. All the bells and whistles in the world aren’t going to bring recruits in if this is what the coaches put on the field.

Reactions: H2M and BleedRed78
Frost’s offense is terrible because he doesn’t have or hasn’t developed a QB yet that he needs to run it. Until he has that piece, he won’t have much success. Of course he needs the rest too (WR, RB, OL), but it starts at the QB position.
QB may be the most important component, but the offense is lacking at nearly every position. With Mills injured, Robinson is probably the only player on that unit who would even see the field for an upper-tier Big Ten team.

Reactions: headcard
Just blows me away that Frost has been so inept and is still in the early stages of “on the job training”. I don’t follow any other programs, so I can’t answer this - but have any other successful programs had to have a coach on training wheels for the the first several years before they figured it out? The harsh reality is it has taken him 3 years to reach his 10th win and that might be all he has at the end of year 3. That is abysmal for any program in year 3.

Everybody sees where this is going and it ain’t pretty. It’s going to get ten times harder now as recruits are taking notice. Keep Frost for ten years and might as well put the final nail in the coffin of Nebraska football.

Pretty sure we are already Kansas. When Illinois can come here and beat us up in every aspect of the game, we are Kansas. I’ve been a fan a long long time and yesterday was the worst I have ever seen. Unfortunately, unless Frost and Moos make big changes to this staff, we will remain Kansas.

Pretty sure we are already Kansas. When Illinois can come here and beat us up in every aspect of the game, we are Kansas. I’ve been a fan a long long time and yesterday was the worst I have ever seen. Unfortunately, unless Frost and Moos make big changes to this staff, we will remain Kansas.

I agree. We’ve been Kansas for a couple of years. We’re looking at our 4th losing season in a row? I can think of a single position group that tells me it’s going to be better by year 7.

No question were the worst team in the Division and close to being the worst in the conference after 28 games in the SF era..

No question were the worst team in the Division and close to being the worst in the conference after 28 games in the SF era..

I don’t think we’re close to being the worst. We are there. Frost has a lot of work to do if we’re going to turn this around. I’m not sure I see it happening.

I watch lots of games each week and I don’t see other teams that seem lost on the field in most aspects of the game like we are. The glaring deficiencies are lack of preparation, coaching adjustments, mental mistakes, defense, weak play on the OL and a lack of intensity. When I watch us over the last six seasons I really don’t know who we are.

The sad thing is it isn’t improving at all.

I’ve been a defender of Frost and just thought he needs time, but I’m officially off the Frost train. That game was full blown disaster and it all comes from bad coaching across the board. He is a terrible head coach and clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing. The players deserve better and we are gonna see a lot of lost recruits and transfers. The sooner he is gone, the happier I’ll be.

I’ve been a defender of Frost and just thought he needs time, but I’m officially off the Frost train. That game was full blown disaster and it all comes from bad coaching across the board. He is a terrible head coach and clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing. The players deserve better and we are gonna see a lot of lost recruits and transfers. The sooner he is gone, the happier I’ll be.
I’m with you. Too many examples of other coaches and programs that have turned it around with less (check out the group of recruits Matt Campbell inherited from Paul Rhoads).

I watch lots of games each week and I don’t see other teams that seem lost on the field in most aspects of the game like we are. The glaring deficiencies are lack of preparation, coaching adjustments, mental mistakes, defense, weak play on the OL and a lack of intensity. When I watch us over the last six seasons I really don’t know who we are.

Exactly. Plenty of teams with far less “paper talent” are coached up to show up and play some ball (win or lose).
We look lost, unmotivated, undisciplined, confused and completely unprepared in all facets.
It’s been mentioned, but what are these guys even doing in practice if they can’t run a simple play or figure out how to get lined up or know their gap, etc.

I’ll sympathize with the defense a little because going up against our offense incapable of completing a pass is not going to get them ready to play other teams.

Reactions: rrthusker
1. 100% every time we fire a coach the deeper we dig in. And I'm not talking financially.
3. I agree. Yes, we needed the Pedo win. No, Frost didnt need to let us know how bad.
5. I agree.
6. I agree.

Bingo! Especially your #1.

Tough Illinois team. Lol.

Iowa is going to score at least 35, and most of those with a rushing attack with, at least, which you'll have the Blackshirts to defend your honor.
That 35 doesn't include any D or special teams scores.

What’s with the 10 year crap? Dating back to Callahan people would say “he needs 10 years”.

5. I agree.
6. I agree.

He’s called scott 3* frost for a reason.

• Haha
Reactions: artguy68
1) I agree we need to commit to a young coach for a the long haul, even if it takes 10 years to pay off.

1a) I STRONGLY DISAGREE that Scott Frost should be that guy. You want a football prodigy in that position, not the class dunce. Scott has never wowed anybody with his intelligence, his organization, his staff management, his motivation, nor his innovation. He's definitely not a prodigy. If you're looking for the next Tom Osborne, you wouldn't start with Scott Frost.

Maybe we can opt out of this season to avoid embarrassment the rest of the way. My lord they looked inept against Illinois. The sloppy play reminded me of K State pre-Snyder. We don’t have a center or a qb. We don’t have an offensive identity... can we just hang our hat or two or three plays we run exceptionally well? What the heck are they doing in practice all week?

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
It's leadership. Frost is not a good leader, and seemingly his assistants aren't that good either. He may know X's and O's, but he certainly looks all out of sorts in his current role.

How do you explain what he did at UCF and why isn't that working here? IMO a lot comes back to leadership and execution from the QB position. I will also note that they had some tremendous senior leaders on defense. Milton could get his team in to the right play and make the quick decisions in the offense correctly. We're not seeing that out of Luke or Adrian.

We have TWO guys at QB who only started/starred for one year at QB in high school trying to run our offense. By contrast, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio State, and yes even MIchigan have starting QBs were the top QB recruits nationally who starred at their large high schools for multiple years.

Maybe we can opt out of this season to avoid embarrassment the rest of the way. My lord they looked inept against Illinois. The sloppy play reminded me of K State pre-Snyder. We don’t have a center or a qb. We don’t have an offensive identity... can we just hang our hat or two or three plays we run exceptionally well? What the heck are they doing in practice all week?
The center thing is a little puzzling. We didn't have a center with the kind of athleticism we needed so we converted a guy. Not a bad plan IF the guy can demonstrate he can do the job. So far, and he's still very young, he's shown that he has issues consistently doing the job. IMO, we need to recruit guys who already have exhibited the skill in high school that we need them to show in college. IF not, we need to try every single guy on the roster to find one who is athletic enough to get to the next level and pull AND snap a ball consistently. There has to be ONE guy other than Matt Farniok who can do that job.

Gosh you think we'll be that good?

I love how the B1G is always on the short list of problems like we could have beaten ISU or Kansas playing like that. In what conference can we play like dog shit and win titles exactly?

The center thing is a little puzzling. We didn't have a center with the kind of athleticism we needed so we converted a guy. Not a bad plan IF the guy can demonstrate he can do the job. So far, and he's still very young, he's shown that he has issues consistently doing the job. IMO, we need to recruit guys who already have exhibited the skill in high school that we need them to show in college. IF not, we need to try every single guy on the roster to find one who is athletic enough to get to the next level and pull AND snap a ball consistently. There has to be ONE guy other than Matt Farniok who can do that job.
Getting to be a real symptom of how you're allowed to suck and keep on starting. How can you be a center if you can't snap the ball? It's literally the #1 thing the position does. It's like talking about how great a punter could be except he can't kick a damn football.

At some point if you can't be automatic with snaps you can't play center. Period.

Getting to be a real symptom of how you're allowed to suck and keep on starting. How can you be a center if you can't snap the ball? It's literally the #1 thing the position does. It's like talking about how great a punter could be except he can't kick a damn football.

At some point if you can't be automatic with snaps you can't play center. Period.
They did bench him in the second half. Davison said on the radio that he had ZERO bad snaps all week in practice. ZERO. It's mental. They were really struggling with Illinois's D line and their MLB was creating havoc. I think some of that responsibility for the MLB falls on the center at times in our scheme. Lots of pressure when you're playing from behind.

1) I agree we need to commit to a young coach for a the long haul, even if it takes 10 years to pay off.

1a) I STRONGLY DISAGREE that Scott Frost should be that guy. You want a football prodigy in that position, not the class dunce. Scott has never wowed anybody with his intelligence, his organization, his staff management, his motivation, nor his innovation. He's definitely not a prodigy. If you're looking for the next Tom Osborne, you wouldn't start with Scott Frost.

Well he was considered the top young coach available when we hired him

Reactions: Baxter48
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT