ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Volleyball commitment for Nebraska!

Husker69

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
According to Prep Volleyball, Nebraska has received an oral commitment from OH Madi Endsley a 6-2 player from Temecula Valley, Ca. She is a current freshman.

Reactions: 1 person
Think about how ridiculous this "commitment" is. This child hasn't even taken a semester exam in high school yet. Or better yet, the only way she even plays, at Nebraska, with anyone on the current roster, is if one of the current freshmen redshirts.

Reactions: WHCSC
They start scouting at 14/15u tourneys, they got a commitment from a 2019 grad in the summer as well. Seems to be a pattern and can't deny the success so don't understand how it is ridiculous.

I'm guessing this is her.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/7129719/madison-endsley

Most girls (unlike boys) have reached their full height by the time they are freshmen in high school. What would be ridiculous is a college coach like Cook NOT doing his job and being in touch with players this young. That's just the way it is. I'd bet the only reason more elite level girls don't commit this early is because they haven't made up their mind.

If you want to see how many other ridiculous cases there are, click below and you can pay to track the other 2020 commitments.

https://prepvolleyball.com/articles...ster-commitment-list-classes-2017-2020/341571

Reactions: yunginsNU2
I see these volleyball recruits at home games. It's ridiculous how tall and athletic these young ladies are. I think we got a commit last year from a girl who was 6'5" as a freshman-- she's a sophomore this year. This program is amazing. I hope any of you who are doubters can get tickets to a game and go see them play. How many schools could redshirt a 6'4" freshman like Lauren Stivrins?

They start scouting at 14/15u tourneys, they got a commitment from a 2019 grad in the summer as well. Seems to be a pattern and can't deny the success so don't understand how it is ridiculous.

You have provided 2 examples and telling me I can't deny the success? As a father of two kids that are playing or have finished playing division 1 athletics, I can assure you that the number of 14 and 15 year old kids that commit early, who will end up playing elsewhere, quit playing the sport, get interested in the opposite sex, do not make the grades, get in trouble, or have reached an athletic plateau, etc far outweigh the number of so called successes.

Again the player she is recruited to replace at Nebraska, is a current freshman.

Reactions: Husker69

Most girls (unlike boys) have reached their full height by the time they are freshmen in high school. What would be ridiculous is a college coach like Cook NOT doing his job and being in touch with players this young. That's just the way it is. I'd bet the only reason more elite level girls don't commit this early is because they haven't made up their mind.

If you want to see how many other ridiculous cases there are, click below and you can pay to track the other 2020 commitments.

https://prepvolleyball.com/articles...ster-commitment-list-classes-2017-2020/341571

Because it happens frequently doesn't make it right or smart. As I said, I am fully aware of how it works. I have first hand knowledge of the process, the travel, the camps, the unofficial visits. The other coaches that aren't going to let up on the recruiting just because you gave a non binding verbal pledge to another school.

I'm going to go with Coach Cook and the banners he hangs on this one.

You think Cook wants to recruit 14 year olds? Please. He does it because everyone else is doing it and there is pressure to keep up. It's the same way in all other sports outside of football. He now has to work twice as hard because he has to recruit this kid for 3 more years. Because the second he backs off a little, Penn St, USC, Washington etc are there to swoop in.

Reactions: Husker69
You think Cook wants to recruit 14 year olds? Please. He does it because everyone else is doing it and there is pressure to keep up. It's the same way in all other sports outside of football. He now has to work twice as hard because he has to recruit this kid for 3 more years. Because the second he backs off a little, Penn St, USC, Washington etc are there to swoop in.

So what exactly do you expect Cook to do? Should he just throw up his hands and say he doesn't like it too? It's not like this is a recent thing in volleyball. It's been going on for years.

It's not that hard. He has a staff for this. Why rail against the system, it won't change anything.

Coach Riley and staff have embraced social media and it has paid dividends. It's the world we live in now, like it or not. You can compare recruiting athletes to selling. You don't tell your prospect how you're going to sell him. He tells you by his behavior, attitude and actions and you adapt accordingly.

There's not a lot of skin in the game with this 14 year old. It's an honor that she is wanted by the number 1 team in the country. She'll have to hold up her end of the bargain.

That's the same with almost any job. You think I like spending time away from my family to meet with clients/prospects after business hours or weekends? Not really, but I'm okay with it because that's part of my job if I want to build my clientele base.

Cook knows this is part of the job and obviously he's okay with it.

You have provided 2 examples and telling me I can't deny the success? As a father of two kids that are playing or have finished playing division 1 athletics, I can assure you that the number of 14 and 15 year old kids that commit early, who will end up playing elsewhere, quit playing the sport, get interested in the opposite sex, do not make the grades, get in trouble, or have reached an athletic plateau, etc far outweigh the number of so called successes.

Again the player she is recruited to replace at Nebraska, is a current freshman.
I could provide many more if you want. Texas just accepted a 2020 verbal for baseball. It happens everywhere. Not saying things don't happen, I have a bit of first hand knowledge myself. The fact is the recruiting process doesn't start in a Jr year of HS. Hell my youngest son was recruited as a 6 yr old in gymnastics by US national coach at WOGA, just saying.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE

She does look big and agile for that age. And she has good taste in college teams.

The early verbal commitment phase is happening in volleyball by girls who are freshmen or sophomores. It's driven by parents, recruits and college coaches. It's been going strong for over a decade. I bet easily over 50 percent of the so-called top volleyball recruits for division one declare for a school before they start their junior year. If a school waited till September 1 of a girls junior year to offer a schollie, they would be SOL. Out of the game and looking foolish.

It's driven by the triad above. I think equal parts and when it goes south sometimes, no one part is to blame more than others. So called fourteen and fifteen year old phenoms don't always develop according to projections. So sometimes schools nudge the girls who don't develop according to plan by their junior club season to the open market. Very direct but reality based. Girls have time to find a suitable replacement. Nebraska has done it with a girl from Millard North, I believe, who finished her career at Kansas in 2014.

It's unfortunate but will continue to happen in the future. Girls could stay the original course and then transfer after a year or two of riding the pine at the original choice. They are told playing time in the future is slim to none. So instead of transferring, they choose another school before graduating from high school. Of course a transfer could still happen in this scenario.

It's the current system in place. Only way out of it, is if the NCAA legislates a later time period for scholarship offers. The NCAA could pass legislation saying July 1 after a girls sophomore year is the earliest you can offer a student athlete. Unofficial visits would be hot and heavy that summer and fall. And the following year too when official visits take place. There does not seem to be much clamoring for this kind of change by all parties.

Reactions: newAD
Early recruiting is not limited to volleyball. I 've seen 14 y/is recruited by big time FB, Baseball, Basketball, etc, both men's n women's at age 12.! It's not the coaches choice, its a national trend. Unless the govt.' Steps in, or courts, it will continue. And like someone said, a lot of them may commit at early age, many change their minds by actual signing date for many reasons. Maybe a coaching change, (usually biggest reason) parental pressure, peer pressure, just a host of reasons.
Look at the players who changed mind when Riley left. Same with Frost leaving UFC. MARTINEZ,, and several other s would not have signed or committed if Frost n his staff not here. Just let it go and you will be much happier. :)

more like Stanford or notre dame...penn state is currently uconn. They've just been "down" the last two or three years

Not sure if this was you trying to claim Penn State being better then our Husker girls or not. But if so, I’d have to quickly disagree. I think our Husker girls have been the best team in volleyball the past several years. Since the Husker girls have joined the BIG10, I think we dethroned PSUcks fairly quick as the top volleyball team ;)

Heh my daughter is teammates with a girl who is 6-7 and entering the 9th grade, committed to Minnesota for volleyball. It's just reality, my kid gets letters from lots of different places - the coaches all hate the game, but they have to play it.

Heh my daughter is teammates with a girl who is 6-7 and entering the 9th grade, committed to Minnesota for volleyball. It's just reality, my kid gets letters from lots of different places - the coaches all hate the game, but they have to play it.

Softball and lacrosse have both passed legislation To stop early recruiting. It’s a start.

I got it after reading it for the third time. You mean the coaches hate the recruiting game but that's the way it is. I first thought you meant they hated the game of VB.....

Great. Doesn't make it any less ridiculous.
The issue is now a days, if you aren't trying to identify potential early, you are behind the 8 ball. If she doesn't pan out in high school, there is nothing saying we have to keep the offer on the table.

Tuco, you may have said... what sports do your kids play?
I see both sides of this... I coached s girl who in 8th grade was good enough in tennis that a big 12 coach ( friend of mine) was not hesitant to have me remind her of how good his program... and he would have taken a verbal in a heartbeat, but three years later she was still very good but he had upgraded his recruiting significantly ( read: foreign).....he’s happy he didn’t offer

Last edited:
Oh there are plenty of rules regarding volleyball recruiting. Coaches can't talk to players until junior year...wink wink.

Not true. Volleyball coaches can talk to players at anytime, they just can’t initiate the contact until September 1 of the PSA’s junior year. As long as the PSA initiate contact they can talk everyday from birth if the coach is so inclined.

Softball and lacrosse have made it illegal to discuss Scholarships at all until September 1 of the junior year, regardless of who initiated contact. Players and families would talk % of scholarship, whether or not they could get an in-state tuition waiver for the athlete etc. Now they can only talk about the school, it’s academics and future camps.

It had gotten out of control in lacrosse and softball, to the point that if you weren’t committed by your sophomore year, you would be hard pressed to get a P5 offer. These rules were put in place to save the coaches from themselves. Some coaches were committing 7th graders.

It will take some time to see what the actual results of the changes are. But at least coaches aren’t hanging out at 12u tournaments now.

Tuco, you may have said... what sports do your kids play?
I see both sides of this... I coached s girl who in 8th grade was good enough in tennis that a big 12 coach ( friend of mine) was not hesitant to have me remind her of how good his program... and he would have taken a verbal in a heartbeat, but three years later she was still very good but he had upgraded his recruiting significantly ( read: foreign).....he’s happy he didn’t offer

Lacrosse, softball and basketball

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT