ADVERTISEMENT

2017 breakout player...

I think Stanley Morgan has the best chance for all-conference honors. I think he has a breakout season and declares early for the draft.

I think Stanley Morgan has the best chance for all-conference honors. I think he has a breakout season and declares early for the draft.

I hope you are right about Stanley Morgan because most likely that means Tanner Lee had a great season slinging the football all over the field. Winking

Today in Chicago, Riley said Mohammed Barry is trending up. Good sign for the LB crew. Just thinking about the depth this unit now has should give optimism: Chris Weber, Luke Gifford, Mohammed Barry, Dedrick Young, Marcus Newby, Quayshon Alexander, Tyrin Ferguson and Avery Roberts. Have to give Trent Bray a lot of credit.

Also, I keep forgetting to mention Wyatt Mazour.

Last edited:

Stan could catch 100 passes with 12 TD's and it still won't change his NFL potential. He's a future Mid Round draft choice. Its doubtful he would leave early to go in the 4th or 5th round.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Today in Chicago, Riley said Mohammed Barry is trending up. Good sign for the LB crew. Just thinking about the depth this unit now has should give optimism: Chris Weber, Luke Gifford, Mohammed Barry, Dedrick Young, Marcus Newby, Quayshon Alexander, Tyrin Ferguson and Avery Roberts. Have to give Trent Bray a lot of credit.

There is reason for Optimism there, but in this defense, you need long and rangy pass rushers on the Weak Side.

Quayshon is explosive, but doesn't fit Diaco's mold. Guy Thomas needs to become that guy quick. Dudes like Alex Davis and Sedrick King are simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

There is reason for Optimism there, but in this defense, you need long and rangy pass rushers on the Weak Side.

Quayshon is explosive, but doesn't fit Diaco's mold. Guy Thomas needs to become that guy quick. Dudes like Alex Davis and Sedrick King are simply NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
Quick it is; if someone can cover, but is the guy that can GET THERE - will play
Simply put; playmakers

Last edited:

Easy to do, with Wyatt M; but then you think about how he out quicks people one on one and sees open space - and you think how do they keep him off the field. He is trouble if a qb hits him in progression or as a pressure outlet in an open field. Dude is strong

Easy to do, with Wyatt M; but then you think about how he out quicks people one on one and sees open space - and you think how do they keep him off the field. He is trouble if a qb hits him in progression or as a pressure outlet in an open field. Dude is strong

All the running backs have that skill set. Although Wilbon's hands aren't very good.

Stan could catch 100 passes with 12 TD's and it still won't change his NFL potential. He's a future Mid Round draft choice. Its doubtful he would leave early to go in the 4th or 5th round.

I sorta agree with you, but I think he DOES go early to be selected in the 3rd to 4th round.

Eh, I wouldn't make the broad-stroke statement that it completely won't. As it stands right now, assuming modest or less improvement in numbers, is a UFA, he needs somewhat of a breakout over the next couple years to move into mid-round range.

We haven't had an outstanding LB in a long time, what exactly are you giving Bray credit for before fall camp even begins?

We haven't had an outstanding LB in a long time, what exactly are you giving Bray credit for before fall camp even begins?
Potential.

For the life of me, I don't understand why it's forbidden to be excited about the potential we have. Who knows if it will happen or not?

But you're probably right, getting excited over potential is a fool's errand.

Thanks for the reminder that we suck.

All the running backs have that skill set. Although Wilbon's hands aren't very good.
And that is exactly right - I feel we are fortunate. Maybe 50-100 in the B1G alone. Then there are the foolers, not tall or fast enough - or too tall, and

Josh Kalu at safety.

Also think we will see nice things out of Eric Lee Jr.

Yeah, I've never been 100% sold on Wilbon. He is talented but has to learn how to pick up blitzes. Maybe this post will be reverse-psychology for him and for me buying into him.

Do you consider Lavonte David and Trevor Roach a "long time ago"? I don't. And this is why I give him credit:

1) The recruiting and coaching he's done to replenish the LBs since our former coach and linebacker coach did not leave that group the way he found it in 2008. Even though Banderas and MRI were slow getting to the sidelines (especially on sweep, toss and bubble screen plays), I think Bray did the best he could with those guys IMHO. The LBs played very well against Wisconsin last year but we all know that the team pretty much mentally threw in the cards after that OT loss.

2) He has turned down coordinator and assistant positions to stay at Nebraska a.k.a he's probably gotten calls, emails and resume requests from more than just San Jose State. Eventually he will be a defensive coordinator somewhere else. I'd give it 2-3 years tops.

3) I believe Mike Riley when he talks about players to watch because he doesn't do it very often. And when he does talk a player up, he's right 99% of the time. Mohammad Barry being one of them. So that tells me (A) Bray effectively evaluated his talent in high school and (B) he has done a good job educating and teaching him. Also, I would bet on Chris Weber having about 80+ tackles this year.

Nick Gates
Tanner Farmer
Michael Decker
Jerald Foster
David Knevel
2017 is all on the big hogs. They have had plenty of our beef and biscuits over the last couple years and the talent is there.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Do you consider Lavonte David and Trevor Roach a "long time ago"? I don't. And this is why I give him credit:

What did Bray have to do with Lavonte David? And he was only here for Trevor Roach's senior year... so not sure what credit you're giving him for that either...

What did Bray have to do with Lavonte David? And he was only here for Trevor Roach's senior year... so not sure what credit you're giving him for that either...
Yes I know Bray had nothing to do with Lavonte David. You said, "We haven't had an outstanding LB in a long time" and I disagreed, saying Lavonte David and Trevor Roach were not "a long time ago."

Rose and Compton are still drinking NFL coffee.

I would agree that we have had substandard Linebacker coaching for about 2 decades.

However we have had some very talented players. Whether any of the current class that is at NU is any good we won't know until they play

If I were to predict one who is sure to excel it is Avery Roberts.

Last edited:
Rose and Compton are still drinking NFL coffee.

I would agree that we have had substandard Linebacker coaching for about 2 decades.

However we have had some very talented players. Whether any of the current class that is at NU is any good we won't know until they play

If I were to predict one who is sure to excel it is Avery Roberts.

Who is Rose? Compton was ok here. Looking forward to Roberts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT