ADVERTISEMENT

2017 breakout player...

I'm picking Freedom Akinmoladun. Why pick Freedom, because we need him to be a player that elevates his level of play. This is his junior year, time for him to shine bright.

Reactions: c3ntral08
He gets such positive talk. I don't know why I have such a blank on him; I am fairly opinionated with basis on other rb's. Can anyone mention why they like him ? Size, speed, moves, practice reports?
A sincere thank you.

I'm assuming sarcasm by him. Potentially you as well?

I'll go a little further off the grid and say.

Keyan Williams
Khalil Davis

I had Stolts on the mind as well. He may not dominate statistical catagories but he's going to prove he has what it takes to be a solid ancher in the middle.
Stoltenberg is still locked in battle with one of the Davis brothers for whom will be the starting NT
Either of the twins are better suited for the role of NT than Stoltenberg, who physically would be better suited as a 5 tech DE. I think that by the end of Fall Camp you will see him as a DE. Whoever wins the NT position will be the unnoticed MVP in this 3-4 defense.

To be a 0 tech two gap NT is an extremely difficult role and critical for the 3-4 to succeed.

Stoltenberg is still locked in battle with one of the Davis brothers for whom will be the starting NT
Either of the twins are better suited for the role of NT than Stoltenberg, who physically would be better suited as a 5 tech DE. I think that by the end of Fall Camp you will see him as a DE. Whoever wins the NT position will be the unnoticed MVP in this 3-4 defense.

To be a 0 tech two gap NT is an extremely difficult role and critical for the 3-4 to succeed.
So.... When the staff reshuffled the front seven on Diaco's arrival, why would they put him there if they didn't think he would make it work? :confused:

I'm aware of the skepticism people had of him at NT before he came out on the 2-deep, and that is very much part of the reason why I listed him here. Because doubters like you seem to think only one body type will work, despite Wisky being constantly unconventional at the position and having tons of success while doing it.

It's all about leverage. Shorter legged players can get better leverage against guards and centers. Keep in mind that an NT's job is to blow-up a guard and center's gap, not penetrate to the backfield. This is two gap play, just like Pelini's defenses.

I think the new staff gave Stult the opportunity because he wanted it and he was the most experienced player on the DL, but they quickly placed Kahlil in competition with him, knowing that his physical attributes were more what they wanted.

Look at Damion Daniels, and you are looking at exactly what the staff want at this position going forward.

Had this defensive staff been here when Mick was a Freshman he never would have played as a DT, he would have been told to shed weight to 250 Lbs and played the CAT OLB.

I'm picking Freedom Akinmoladun. Why pick Freedom, because we need him to be a player that elevates his level of play. This is his junior year, time for him to shine bright.

This defense is not good for Freedom's skillset. DE's in this Okie Front 3-4 play a two-gapping 5 tech, and he reaallly, can't do that. The 3 starters at the DL should be Carlos and Nick at the DE, and Kahlil at NT.

May not and up that way, but it is the best players by talent.

On offense my pick is David Knevel, and I say that almost tongue in cheek. If he doesn't play at a very high level our offense will be in real trouble. My #2 on offense is whoever wins the center position.

If our OL plays like last year it will be a long long year.

What might have happened in some other time is irrelevant. That's just speculation and 50-60 lbs too late.

As far as Stolt goes, even in a a base odd man front DE lines up in a 4 Tech head up on the tackle and play both B and C gaps. Their job, much like the NT, is to occupy blockers and control gaps.

Diaco wasn't shy about moving Kalu after the spring started, if he thought Stolt was better at DE I don't believe he would have hesitated to move him to DE.

Diaco typically only lined up the strongside DE in a 5 tech, but he was still getting double teamed with the TE frequently.

Typically an OT or a TE are two to three inches taller than a center or OG. Mick would have less issue getting leverage on taller players. I don't say this off the top of my hat, I say this after researching comments Disco has made historically about what he is looking for. Go check out the articles that Notre Dame released regarding his interviews and analysis by columnists who covered him.

It's all about leverage. Shorter legged players can get better leverage against guards and centers. Keep in mind that an NT's job is to blow-up a guard and center's gap, not penetrate to the backfield. This is two gap play, just like Pelini's defenses.

I think the new staff gave Stult the opportunity because he wanted it and he was the most experienced player on the DL, but they quickly placed Kahlil in competition with him, knowing that his physical attributes were more what they wanted.

Look at Damion Daniels, and you are looking at exactly what the staff want at this position going forward.

Had this defensive staff been here when Mick was a Freshman he never would have played as a DT, he would have been told to shed weight to 250 Lbs and played the CAT OLB.
Is Stolt maintaining his bulk over the summer? Does Diaco want his DE around 280-290? I too think big Mick should've been moved to DE but hate to see them playing musical chairs in fall camp, figured that was what spring ball is for. Anyway, my breakout players are Lindsey and Mo Barry.

I think Mick is a little over 300 right now. They would take him at DE at that weight. Keep in mind a DE in this defense is a two gapper in this defense, who plays more like a Pelini style DT in a 4-3.

The CAT is your outside blitzer.

I'm familiar with what he is looking for. I think the center position is also evolving. Both Wisconsin and Michigan have Centers that are 6'5 or taller in Cole and Dieter. Cole Conrad if he wins the center job at Nebraska is 6'5, Decker is 6'4 1/2. So while they are shorter than the tackles they are also taller than what the traditional center was even just 5 years ago.

6'5 getting leverage on a guy 6'4- 6'6 is easier than getting the leverage on the traditional 6'2 -6'3 centers.

You may find teams that have tall centers but you will also find that running teams are often doing like tOSU and using 6'2" or 6'3" centers.

Cool. Here are the size of the centers we have to contend with to win the west.

Iowa 6'4 center Daniels
Aforementioned Wisconsin 6'6 Dieter
Northwestern Thomas 6'4
Illinois Alagretti 6'4
Minnesota Olson 6'5

Only Purdue has a starting center 6'3 or shorter.

Half the story, Michael Jordan (not that one) is projected to start at LG and is 6'7.

Remains, as I pointed out, things are changing.

ADVERTISEMENT