ADVERTISEMENT

WR might have quit today

He had huge upside but just couldn’t put it together. Quite possibly a Sunday talent that was squandered.
Absolutely, we just saw it in one game though against northwestern. So as far as experience goes, he didn’t have much at all.

The confusing part is why did he go through winter spring and summer conditioning and almost two weeks in August and he finally decides his heart isn’t in it anymore, I think I would have figured that out before summer conditioning or spring ball. the timing doesn’t make sense to me
2 weeks in Selleck and fall camp. No weed and no honeys?

I played college baseball for two years and after my sophomore year I told my coach basically the same thing. My heart wasn’t in it anymore. It wasn’t the coach or my teammates. In fact my coach is now the AD at my alma mater, I have lunch of coffee with him several times a year and still donate to the athletic department. I was tired of the grind and it wasn’t fun anymore. I was never going to play professional baseball. It was truly something I did because I loved it. I promised myself when the game was no longer fun, it was more of a business than it was a game I loved; then I would hang up my cleats. I recognized when that day came, I finished the season and I walked. I have no regrets. I did what I loved for as long as I could. If that day came for Betts then nothing but respect for him if he had the self awareness to realize it and do what is best for him and ultimately his team.
My son was very similar, he said when he was about 13 that his goal was to received a free college education through baseball.

So it was not surprise when he graduated that he said it's time to move on with his life. Athletics is so time consuming, and if you wanna go to the big boys there are is a tremendous price to pay. If you want to succeed, there has to be total dedication to the sport.

You show me a dad now that tells his 22 year son what to do, and I'll show a kid who doesn't have enough respect for his parents to show them the type of son they raised. He kept his word, and we kept ours.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Friend that gets some (usually) solid info.

Hopefully it is wrong.
We shall never question you or any of your sources again.
Bowing Down Waynes World GIF

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
Coach R seemed not happy with anything today. Don’t know if that is good or bad. Or can be fixed this year.
That is good. If things are not up to standard, it's much better if the coach can get a read on it in practice than to be surprised or shocked by bad things popping up unexpectedly in games. It's also a sign of a coach with high expectations and that's also a good thing.

As for the team itself, hey what did everyone expect? It's pretty rare to make a ton of changes with coaches, schemes and personal in a perennial losing program and not experience a lot of growing pains.

Man, I remember hearing Betts in an interview a few weeks ago. Really happy and thankful that his teammates and coaches gave him a second chance. Thought he was gonna run with it. Really, I just feel bad for the kid. Not many people are blessed with his ability and opportunity. I think he'll watch games this fall thinking about what might have been. Oh well.......best of luck to him. Hope he stays in school!
Makes you wonder what he was like in HS when times got tough. This seems to be a character flaw he needs to work on. If he wants to be a big fish in a small pond there are plenty of opportunities for him out there. If he wants to expand his pond he needs to work on the part where you push through the suck and wait for it to get easier... I wish the best for the young man, what he needs to work on is tough and the only person who can help him through this is himself.

Makes you wonder what he was like in HS when times got tough. This seems to be a character flaw he needs to work on. If he wants to be a big fish in a small pond there are plenty of opportunities for him out there. If he wants to expand his pond he needs to work on the part where you push through the suck and wait for it to get easier... I wish the best for the young man, what he needs to work on is tough and the only person who can help him through this is himself.
By all accounts, a very nice kid. But he was never super into sports. Sort of had be really be "forced" to play. Classroom wise, if not for Covid he would not have got admitted to UNL, or so is the rumor.

It is not really all that uncommon though, to be really good at something but not love it.

I have a friend that is amazing at golf, set a course record one time at blackberry oaks (63), coaches golf in HS...guess what he hates doing? Playing golf. It just isn't fun for him.

Before people post crap about Betts they should step back and take a breath. Some of these kids since they were 12 years old have been playing football and doing all the weights, and off season training for hours everyday. Once they get to high school it amps up even more, they spend a hell of a lot more time working out, practice, watching film, studying playbook than the time they are required to spend in class.
After 6 to 10 years of devoting yourself to 4-10 hours a day to a sport there comes a time where you do lose your passion for it. I have kids who played baseball and softball and for most kids after high school they never want to set foot on a field again. All I am saying is I have empathy for Betts and if he is burnt out and doesnt have the heart for it anymore, good for him and more power to him. It takes a toll.

Before people post crap about Betts they should step back and take a breath. Some of these kids since they were 12 years old have been playing football and doing all the weights, and off season training for hours everyday. Once they get to high school it amps up even more, they spend a hell of a lot more time working out, practice, watching film, studying playbook than the time they are required to spend in class.
After 6 to 10 years of devoting yourself to 4-10 hours a day to a sport there comes a time where you do lose your passion for it. I have kids who played baseball and softball and for most kids after high school they never want to set foot on a field again. All I am saying is I have empathy for Betts and if he is burnt out and doesnt have the heart for it anymore, good for him and more power to him. It takes a toll.
I don’t feel like people are bagging on him, more disappointment overall that he isn’t on the team.

I should have posted this in March to get more board cred.

To be honest, I might have actually done that and I can’t remember.

The kid is a disaster. The 21 hours is the most interesting part of this story to be honest.

This is so true.

Reactions: king_kong_
Perspective. This is only the most recent if we are talking about possible Sunday talent going by the wayside. If you are an Omaha person, you may remember talents like Randy Stella, Vondrae Tostenson, Darnell Clark, Adrian Kellog, and Damion Morrow who had all the physical gifts in the world and couldn't make it work. Kids have a lot going on in their lives. With incredible talent comes distraction, be it on the homefront or elsewhere.

Perspective. This is only the most recent if we are talking about possible Sunday talent going by the wayside. If you are an Omaha person, you may remember talents like Randy Stella, Vondrae Tostenson, Darnell Clark, Adrian Kellog, and Damion Morrow who had all the physical gifts in the world and couldn't make it work. Kids have a lot going on in their lives. With incredible talent comes distraction, be it on the homefront or elsewhere.
Randy Stella ended having a good career for Nebraska just didn’t make it in the Pro’s..

Have you ever herd of a league called the NBA?
30 years ago when we lived in a CBA city our babysitters husband was an undercover vice officer. He said that all but one of the Rochester Flyers were at least recreational pot users. Former Celtic David Thirdkill was known to be a cocaine user. Current College coach Jim Les was on that team and played a number of years in the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT