ADVERTISEMENT

Will Lincoln Riley last the season?

From a playoff contender to 3 losses st the halfway mark. He ran to there to pick his patsy's, then they join the B1G. Not sure he is as good as people think he is.

Definitely great at developing QBs, but he can’t seem to field a quality defense no matter what he tries or who he hires. Barring a complete 4-8 meltdown, I suspect he’ll get one more year to try and turn things around. That being said, I’m guessing he better win at least 9 games next year or he’s toast.

Reactions: Dylman and Zeke2005
Their defense looks pretty good this year.

I don’t think he’s in trouble for losing to Penn State or Michigan. Maybe in a little trouble for losing to Minnesota.

But look what he left, OU is being torpedo’d by Bud Foster 2.0. At least Lincoln is in these games, OU is getting killed

Reactions: huskers360

I don’t think he’s in trouble for losing to Penn State or Michigan. Maybe in a little trouble for losing to Minnesota.

But look what he left, OU is being torpedo’d by Bud Foster 2.0. At least Lincoln is in these games, OU is getting killed

Defense has moderately improved, but they’re far from good. They gave up 188 yards rushing a game last year, they’ve improved that to 158 yards per game this year. That’s just good enough to put them at 17th in the B1G. (not good) Also, I don’t think USC brass cares that OU is currently getting blown out in the SEC. Can’t imagine that fact has any bearing on what they plan to do with Riley going forward.

Defense has moderately improved, but they’re far from good. They gave up 188 yards rushing a game last year, they’ve improved that to 158 yards per game this year. That’s just good enough to put them at 17th in the B1G. (not good) Also, I don’t think USC brass cares that OU is currently getting blown out in the SEC. Can’t imagine that fact has any bearing on what they plan to do with Riley going forward.
158 per game in the big ten from 188 in the pac 12 is a huge improvement.

No way they fire Riley. The west coast teams will figure out they need to get bigger up front to survive in the big ten. Oregon is ahead of the curve there as they’ve been competing on a national level for years now and understand you can’t win vs sec and big ten without a robust o and d line. Riley will figure out he needs to adapt and it will take a few years to build it

Reactions: TOMHP and thall_
The last thing USC needs to do is fire their coach while transitioning/playing their first year in the Big 10. However, next year will be a big year for him and his program.

Reactions: V-Doub
158 per game in the big ten from 188 in the pac 12 is a huge improvement.

No way they fire Riley. The west coast teams will figure out they need to get bigger up front to survive in the big ten. Oregon is ahead of the curve there as they’ve been competing on a national level for years now and understand you can’t win vs sec and big ten without a robust o and d line. Riley will figure out he needs to adapt and it will take a few years to build it

I didn’t say he would be fired this year. I said the exact opposite. And 17th in rush defense (in the B1G, not nationally) is not good. It’s a notable improvement, but it’s still 2nd to last in the conference and that’s nowhere near good enough.

The last thing USC needs to do is fire their coach while transitioning/playing their first year in the Big 10. However, next year will be a big year for him and his program.

Agreed, I think firing him this year in the midst of transitioning to the B1G could be catastrophic. But that also depends on who’s out there and available. If Urban Meyer wants coach again and has interest, I’m kicking Riley to the curb ASAP.

I don’t see the purpose of even firing him just one year in the league..

After they beat Notre Dame people will come to their census..

I didn’t say he would be fired this year. I said the exact opposite. And 17th in rush defense (in the B1G, not nationally) is not good. It’s a notable improvement, but it’s still 2nd to last in the conference and that’s nowhere near good enough.
Sorry, I wasn’t clear. The second paragraph was just a general response to the thread and not directed at you. And I agree. They aren’t good enough on defense yet, but they were dumpster fire last year. USC isn’t built for a big ten schedule. They’re built for a pac 12 passing attack. It will take them time to adjust and rebuild. I think they will. They have too much access to too much talent not to

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. The second paragraph was just a general response to the thread and not directed at you. And I agree. They aren’t good enough on defense yet, but they were dumpster fire last year. USC isn’t built for a big ten schedule. They’re built for a pac 12 passing attack. It will take them time to adjust and rebuild. I think they will. They have too much access to too much talent not to

They have the recruiting cache’ and population base to fix their deficiencies pretty quickly. Next year will be huge for Riley, USC fans and Admin don’t have a lot of patience, and with the portal/NIL a good coach should be able to address such issues pretty quickly. Especially a coach with the many advantages USC possesses.

They have the recruiting cache’ and population base to fix their deficiencies pretty quickly. Next year will be huge for Riley, USC fans and Admin don’t have a lot of patience, and with the portal/NIL a good coach should be able to address such issues pretty quickly. Especially a coach with the many advantages USC possesses.
We’ll see. I feel like interior lineman is never a quick fix. Recruiting helps but most high school kids need a year or two before they’re ready

Losing to MN was stupid. Just had to keep running the ball and they win. But the call of showing how good their WC passing is was just too much for him. They were running it down the Gopher’s throats…

Their scoring defense went from 121 to 30. They were giving up an average of 34ppg last year, and they’re currently giving up 19ppg. Points win games, not rushing yards.

And of course the USC admin won’t factor in OU hiring their own Frank Solich, I was offering perspective for the brainlets who think he should be fired. All things considered, he’s doing well his first season in a new conference.

Their scoring defense went from 121 to 30. They were giving up an average of 34ppg last year, and they’re currently giving up 19ppg. Points win games, not rushing yards.

And of course the USC admin won’t factor in OU hiring their own Frank Solich, I was offering perspective for the brainlets who think he should be fired. All things considered, he’s doing well his first season in a new conference.

I think he’s safe this year. Next year though… 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: thall_
I have no clue. I don't follow USC anywhere close enough to know what their expectations of success are.

I just hope NU doesn't quickly fall into a "fire the HC" rut should we go through a short losing stretch, which we might to close out this season. Rhule is my favorite HC post-Solich and I hope we give him the opportunity to make us relevant again. Being critical is one thing - it's part of being a fanatic - but being too critical and calling for heads is getting us nowhere.

I have no clue. I don't follow USC anywhere close enough to know what their expectations of success are.

I just hope NU doesn't quickly fall into a "fire the HC" rut should we go through a short losing stretch, which we might to close out this season. Rhule is my favorite HC post-Solich and I hope we give him the opportunity to make us relevant again. Being critical is one thing - it's part of being a fanatic - but being too critical and calling for heads is getting us nowhere.
We kept one of, if not the worst coach in Blue Blood history for 5 years. Pretty sure Nebraska isn’t interested in firing anyone prematurely these days.

We kept one of, if not the worst coach in Blue Blood history for 5 years. Pretty sure Nebraska isn’t interested in firing anyone prematurely these days.
Too late. We've been on the c-carousel for too long, and if cMR doesn't get steady improvement, he will go as well. Too much at stake. Same for cLR at USC. They have too much prestige & honor to settle for mediocre. These days, the money is big, and the expectations bigger. No one can say the cLR has performed well at USC yet.

Too late. We've been on the c-carousel for too long, and if cMR doesn't get steady improvement, he will go as well. Too much at stake. Same for cLR at USC. They have too much prestige & honor to settle for mediocre. These days, the money is big, and the expectations bigger. No one can say the cLR has performed well at USC yet.
What’s too late? You are writing your own narrative regarding Nebraska coaching. Rhule isn’t even in the conversation as on a hot seat. Husker coaches have failed over the course of several years, and then subsequently fired. Not because of unfair expectations, but because of failure. Revisionist history can be applied and argued to the Solich and Pelini tenures and firings, but not the recent 3 coaches.

What’s too late? You are writing your own narrative regarding Nebraska coaching. Rhule isn’t even in the conversation as on a hot seat. Husker coaches have failed over the course of several years, and then subsequently fired. Not because of unfair expectations, but because of failure. Revisionist history can be applied and argued to the Solich and Pelini tenures and firings, but not the recent 3 coaches.
Point being, once you are on the carousel, its hard to get off. 20 year lesson can't be denied. I wanted them all to succeed, especially Rhule. I want OFF this ride...

Point being, once you are on the carousel, it’s hard to get off. 20 year lesson can't be denied. I wanted them all to succeed, especially Rhule. I want OFF this ride...
Oh I agree with the difficulty in finding potentially legacy coaches. It’s not fun, but it’s the path until you find a Saban, Osborne, Stoops, Urb. So rare are those guys, and almost all teams that have experienced greatness purge coaches until they find those dudes. Or someone that at least puts you on the cusp of great things for a decade. Then that becomes not good enough.

Lincoln Riley signed like a 10 year 110 mil deal and he’s in the third year… so he’s safe for at least 4 more years IMO
Welcome to the B1G

Oregon seems to have not missed a beat as Lanning seems the real deal… everyone else will find it tough sledding

For all schools, 10+ win seasons will be tougher to come by, especially for the expanded B1G and SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT