ADVERTISEMENT

The rest of the season

They always talk about the veteran players in practice talking and teaching the young kids about how to do this or that. I think they have a built in sense of entitlement since they know they are gonna get the meanigful snaps regardless of how well they play in the actual games.

Mental snaps don't equate to physical snaps.
I was at the game and I told my brother-in-law that we looked flat when we took the field. I think our guys read too many press clippings. Hopefully this ass whipping lights a fire under their butts.

That’s going to a huge test. Rutgers and Wisconsin are winnable games but……. Rutgers has seen the recipe now and Schiano will have his defense ready.
I won't totally concede the Rutgers game, but I think NU does lose that game. I see this team spiraling downward just like the second half of '23, except we have an earlier start on that trend already.

They do have a very strong running game which it has been years before was non existent..

Going forward will see how they do if teams can slow that running game down..
Teams know that McNamara can’t throw it deep so they rely on dump passes mostly to their TE.
Ironically their O line looks MUCH better with the firing of the supposed O line guru OC.

All of our vets played for frost

I don’t think they’re the ones we want teaching youngsters and setting the culture

They’re losers, by and large

I still can’t believe how many frost players we play and count on to play well, especially up front
Until we have the Ty's etc out of the program, that losing culture is dominant. All they've known for 6 years if losing. All of a sudden, they are the teachers?

Until we have the Ty's etc out of the program, that losing culture is dominant. All they've known for 6 years if losing. All of a sudden, they are the teachers?
Catch is we need to actually win and win meaningfully for the next gen to not be inflicted with the same disease

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Ty isn’t the problem. That guy held up his end of the job. He and Nash ate double teams the whole night and our edge guys got abused. We would be completely screwed without Ty right now.

Catch is we need to actually win and win meaningfully for the next gen to not be inflicted with the same disease
If NU goes on the road and wins handily at Purdue, I can see a 7-5 season for NU. If we stink up the place, and find a way to lose? Probably looking at a 4-8 season, including a couple of blowout losses, and back to square one.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Ty isn’t the problem. That guy held up his end of the job. He and Nash ate double teams the whole night and our edge guys got abused. We would be completely screwed without Ty right now.
Its that whole group of players that are in that Frost era. None of them have ever won anything.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
Its that whole group of players that are in that Frost era. None of them have ever won anything.
I still don’t agree that guys like Ty are the problem. We had a veteran DB commit an inexcusable face mask but most of our problems were caused by our new or younger players. Gottula and Lutovsky got abused. Our 2 soph edge guys got abused. Tommi Hill was a Frost guy right? We missed him horribly. Ty and Nash are doing their jobs. Bullocks is doing his to the best of his ability.

Raiola missed a wide open TE. A transfer kicker missed a kick. This loss wasn’t Frost players IMO. Ty and Nash played their asses off.

I still don’t agree that guys like Ty are the problem. We had a veteran DB commit an inexcusable face mask but most of our problems were caused by our new or younger players. Gottula and Lutovsky got abused. Our 2 soph edge guys got abused. Tommi Hill was a Frost guy right? We missed him horribly. Ty and Nash are doing their jobs. Bullocks is doing his to the best of his ability.

Raiola missed a wide open TE. A transfer kicker missed a kick. This loss wasn’t Frost players IMO. Ty and Nash played their asses off.
Uncle Donnie’s high school recruits appear to have a long, long way to go

I’m afraid Rhule needs a twos score lead to win games. Otherwise he gets bamboozled by smarter game day coaches

Reactions: cornwoman
Uncle Donnie’s high school recruits appear to have a long, long way to go
they were the best he could get considering our head coach was a lame duck loser. His recruits more recently look pretty damned good. There was quite a drop off when Corc went out at LT.

Friday night showed that the offense can not carry the team. The defense got exposed by UNI and Illinois had the type of offense that ripped the pants off of Tony White. 3 games from now, maybe the offense can carry the defense. TW needs to fix the gapping holes in the quick passing game fast. The threat of a moble QB cripples the defensive scheme. Until the defense gets fixed, it might be a long season. Rhule wants a four man rush with the rest in coverage, but the DB's can not cover one-on-one and that leaves the middle of the field open to late releasing receiver.

Everyone was curious when DR's youth would show. Well, it showed in OT, but I am sure he learned from it. The offensive game plan worked Friday night, ST and defense failed.

I am not writing off the season yet. They have Purdue, then an off week to prepare for Rutgers. This bye week will determine how the season ends since most of the teams run a similar offense. Let's hope TW makes the adjustments either schematically or personnel-wise. The success or failure of the season is in his hands, and Fowly.

Friday night showed that the offense can not carry the team. The defense got exposed by UNI and Illinois had the type of offense that ripped the pants off of Tony White. 3 games from now, maybe the offense can carry the defense. TW needs to fix the gapping holes in the quick passing game fast. The threat of a moble QB cripples the defensive scheme. Until the defense gets fixed, it might be a long season. Rhule wants a four man rush with the rest in coverage, but the DB's can not cover one-on-one and that leaves the middle of the field open to late releasing receiver.

Everyone was curious when DR's youth would show. Well, it showed in OT, but I am sure he learned from it. The offensive game plan worked Friday night, ST and defense failed.

I am not writing off the season yet. They have Purdue, then an off week to prepare for Rutgers. This bye week will determine how the season ends since most of the teams run a similar offense. Let's hope TW makes the adjustments either schematically or personnel-wise. The success or failure of the season is in his hands, and Fowly.
I don’t really believe Raiola’s youth was a factor in OT. We couldn’t protect him and we completely gave up on the run. Our 3rd string LT and 2nd team RG got abused.

Reactions: cornwoman
Unfortunately, I think we will need to beat Iowa to become bowl eligible this year.

So far Purdue was a +7.0 underdog to Dame and got beat by 59 points, Saturday they were a +1.0 underdog to Oregon State and lost by 17. Looks like NU may roll them by about 3 TDs this week.

Reactions: king_kong_
Can you allow a stud guard to get in the fave of a coach without consequence? He was in the portal for a reason.
I have no idea what he even got in trouble for. Just wondering if the players disagreed with the coaches

I don’t believe the crap that the older players have Frost stink on them. They can’t believe that either. But it’s time to rise to their best version as individuals and as a team. I think we will see that, but their best version might be a less than we hoped for. If I see some grit, some fight, and some growth from this moment, then I will remain positive.

Agree with your entire premise, except I don't think it's this week that will define it. I mean, it's Purdue. They're in line with our first 3 opponents. They're more the, "if we don't win that, we are so screwed" type team. Not really the crossroads moment I think you're referring to. The weeks following that? Yes, for sure.

I think the fallowing week against Rutgers is what I need to see. Purdue is pretty bad, we could beat them by 14-21 pts and people will spin that however they want. Now if we blast Purdue by 28+ it will be a positive sign, but I need to see us against Rutgers. They’re a decent team and they play a physical brand of ball. We need to show we can beat that type of team IMO.

The only team I don’t think we have a shot against on our remaining schedule is OSU BUT damn Iowa looked good last night.
It’s unfortunate but I agree about Iowa. Dang good run game, and the LBs they have are excellent.

Put USC in the toss up column after watching them yesterday. They’re beatable.
The only game I feel confident we will win is Purdue. UCLA looked decent for two and a half quarters at LSU. I think we are going to have to really struggle to get to six wins. A lot depends too on injuries. How long will Corcoran and Hill be out? Will Micah start again over Lutovsky is another question. Can Sherman and Prince U. stop getting abused?
Furthermore, Raiola is good. REALLY good. But he made some mistakes that really hurt us too. Freshmen will do that. I hope he can start connecting again like he did against UTEP on his long throws. He has had a tendency in the past two games to overthrow receivers. And several times throwing behind receivers on short crossing routes.

The only game I feel confident we will win is Purdue. UCLA looked decent for two and a half quarters at LSU. I think we are going to have to really struggle to get to six wins. A lot depends too on injuries. How long will Corcoran and Hill be out? Will Micah start again over Lutovsky is another question. Can Sherman and Prince U. stop getting abused?
Furthermore, Raiola is good. REALLY good. But he made some mistakes that really hurt us too. Freshmen will do that. I hope he can start connecting again like he did against UTEP on his long throws. He has had a tendency in the past two games to overthrow receivers. And several times throwing behind receivers on short crossing routes.
Buckle up. This year is going to be a roller coaster.

Losing yet another winnable game puts NU in position of needing to win an extra toss up game, or even one of the few where NU will be an underdog.

Preseason, we all had Illinois penciled in as a win. It’s going to be hard to steal one back, since only OSU and USC will be certain favorites. Maybe Indiana too - later Iowa. I can’t see NU beating USC or OSU, so we’re left with winning every other game to get to 9-3.

If we’ve made any progress at all, with DR at QB, we should win half of our tossup games going forward. The “if” will be revealed in these next 8 games. Only OSU and USC aren’t what I would call tossup games. If we win half the rest, we are 6-6. Which as underwhelming as that may seem given some heightened expectations, that is still progress.

My hope is that we grow and adapt from Friday’s loss and do better than 6-6. But right now that is hope, not expectation.

If we’ve made any progress at all, with DR at QB, we should win half of our tossup games going forward. The “if” will be revealed in these next 8 games. Only OSU and USC aren’t what I would call tossup games. If we win half the rest, we are 6-6. Which as underwhelming as that may seem given some heightened expectations, that is still progress.

My hope is that we grow and adapt from Friday’s loss and do better than 6-6. But right now that is hope, not expectation.
One concern I have with Raiola is that he throws a lot of 50/50 jump balls. One that went for a TD was thrown in to heavy traffic and should have gone to a wide open RB in the opposite side of the field. His other 50/50 endzone shot got intercepted.

Unfortunately, I think we will need to beat Iowa to become bowl eligible this year.
I agree and many on here won't like this. But I see iowa doing what they do every year. Improve throughout the season and the next thing you know they are looking at another possible 9-10 win season while that game for us is to extend the season. And I am skeptical at best on how
Much we improve

I’m not sure there are 6 wins on the schedule. They just look off, flat and out of gas. Not sure what it is. The juiced up team that came out against Colorado doesn’t seem to be there.

One concern I have with Raiola is that he throws a lot of 50/50 jump balls. One that went for a TD was thrown in to heavy traffic and should have gone to a wide open RB in the opposite side of the field. His other 50/50 endzone shot got intercepted.
Please, those throws are in every game everywhere. Our WRS should secure the ball better and not let a smaller guy take it away from them.

Put USC in the toss up column after watching them yesterday. They’re beatable.
USC got off to a bad start to start the game and Michigan capitalized from the start.

If they played next week I think USC would have no problem beating them..

What we call 50/50 jump balls should still favor the offense because WRs are better at catching balls than DBs. We need a great WR or two to bring out the best from Dylan. The WR room was supposed to be greatly improved, but I am skeptical.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT