ADVERTISEMENT

Will Honas

that makes zero sense. it doesn't matter who has good LBs lately. well it might in an ignorant recruit's mind but it shouldn't.
NFL players come from everywhere and isn't determined by who your coach is or where you played college ball.
thats just some myth fans came up with to try to differentiate their school from others. neb / iowa/ wisconsin none of them are BETTER than others at making good LBs. Wherever the good LBs go to school is where the good LBs will come from
Just so you know, this is a terrible post

Just so you know, this is a terrible post

Sorry but you are wrong. Players can either be put in a situation that highlights their ability or one that masks it. To get drafted you'd want to be in the former.

Honas just got a crystal ball for Wisconsin. Though it's from a Texas Tech writer, so it might just be a guess.

Sorry but you are wrong. Players can either be put in a situation that highlights their ability or one that masks it. To get drafted you'd want to be in the former.
You are correct that system does have something to do with a player being put in a position to be successful in college. But "good" linebackers rarely show up at college with the technique and skill to play major college football. They show up with tools they need to be taught how to use. Some coaches are better at teaching them how to use their tools than others. Who your coach is makes a big impact on how "good" you become.

NFL scouts are so good and so thorough, they can recognize players who are playing out of position in college. The ones worth their weight are the ones able to identify these types of players. They'll find them even if they're in a system that "masks" their skills. Playing in the wrong system in college is not the deciding factor on a players NFL career. They may even be a FA signee instead of a drafted player, but there are MANY former undrafted FAs who have great careers, and many players who get drafted that don't make the roster as a second-year player.

I think we are going to get him in the end. Just a gut feeling. This kid will be one of my favorite players if he ends up in Lincoln! GBR!

You are correct that system does have something to do with a player being put in a position to be successful in college. But "good" linebackers rarely show up at college with the technique and skill to play major college football. They show up with tools they need to be taught how to use. Some coaches are better at teaching them how to use their tools than others. Who your coach is makes a big impact on how "good" you become.

NFL scouts are so good and so thorough, they can recognize players who are playing out of position in college. The ones worth their weight are the ones able to identify these types of players. They'll find them even if they're in a system that "masks" their skills. Playing in the wrong system in college is not the deciding factor on a players NFL career. They may even be a FA signee instead of a drafted player, but there are MANY former undrafted FAs who have great careers, and many players who get drafted that don't make the roster as a second-year player.
There is some truth to both arguments, good coaches put players in position to succeed, but some are good enough to succeed no matter where they play. London Fletcher played D-3 football and was a damn good linebacker in the NFL for about 15 years. That is why sometimes it is a crap shoot with recruiting and drafting.

Reactions: ThrowBones92

NFL players come from almost every school in the country. the schools with the best recruits have the most NFL players.
i can find an example of a lower rated recruit making it to the NFL from virtually any program in the country. there is no evidence that a player from one school would have benefited more from attending a different school.
there is no evidence because it would be impossible to prove.
the SEC has the most NFL players because they have the best players to begin with

That's a very good sign, he has a good track record with his predictions.

Wisconsin returns all of the inside linebackers on their 2-deep. I think he has a better chance to make an immediate impact here.
neb only loses 1 starter and has 15 LBs returning. those aren't great odds

that makes zero sense. it doesn't matter who has good LBs lately. well it might in an ignorant recruit's mind but it shouldn't.
NFL players come from everywhere and isn't determined by who your coach is or where you played college ball.
thats just some myth fans came up with to try to differentiate their school from others. neb / iowa/ wisconsin none of them are BETTER than others at making good LBs. Wherever the good LBs go to school is where the good LBs will come from
That's just not true. A coach can turn a nobody into an NFL caliber player and it happens all the time.

neb only loses 1 starter and has 15 LBs returning. those aren't great odds

But Wisconsin returns the #1 defense in the nation. We return the #101 defense. Hence why I think he can make a more immediate impact here. The odds of him beating out returning starters on the #1 defense in the nation isn't likely. We lose Chris Weber and our other inside LBs haven't proven anything.

NFL players come from almost every school in the country. the schools with the best recruits have the most NFL players.
i can find an example of a lower rated recruit making it to the NFL from virtually any program in the country. there is no evidence that a player from one school would have benefited more from attending a different school.
there is no evidence because it would be impossible to prove.
the SEC has the most NFL players because they have the best players to begin with
There's plenty of ways to prove coaching matters when it comes to judging NFL talent. You can look at the schools that put 3 star players in the NFL at a higher rate than other schools put their 3 star players. You can look at transfers and find out if their performance improved going from one school to another, etc.

Christopherson just gave us a crystal ball as well. Honas doesn't talk much to the recruiting services, but hopefully these guys know something we don't.

Sucks for Will. I looked at what your roster is looking like next year as far as linebackers. You have 19 of them on the roster. Kid isn't even gonna see the field. I kind of feel bad for him

I am feeling kind around the holidays so I will share my secret. If you go to the search bar in the upper right and search the thread titles of the RSS you can see the first sentence everyone has posted in that thread. Your welcome.

-the street

(This works on every rivals site)

Reactions: WHCSC
Dick I have not announced it on the site yet because I don't want Blair getting upset about what I do but he (blair) also posted Lockett, DJ, and Brents were all added to the U of I football website and then taken down. The only miss we had this year was honas.

Sucks for Will. I looked at what your roster is looking like next year as far as linebackers. You have 19 of them on the roster. Kid isn't even gonna see the field. I kind of feel bad for him
zombies-bored.gif

That statement is simply not true. I guess you don't remember the days when Penn State turned out linebackers left and right. How about Nebraska being called Kicker U? There are programs that can Excell at positions because of a coach that produces a reputation. Have to take into account the numbers are small. A school puts 5 LB's in the league in 10 years that is a pretty significant number.

so honas is going to beat out Avery Roberts?

Hard to say.

1) He hasn't signed with Nebraska. He might not. Therefore he may never be in competition with Avery Roberts for a starting spot.

2) Don't think many people have seen Honas play yet. Hard to tell whether a player you haven't seen play could beat out a oung player with 4 career tackles in a hypothetical matchup.

What do you think?

so honas is going to beat out Avery Roberts?

I have to say, reading a majority of these post are hilarious...everyone jumping in with the " Husker roster is full of linebackers ". Well they might have linebacker listed by their name, but most will never see anything but the practice field. Secondly, if you slept through last season, which would have been a good idea, you missed out on how bad, and I mean terrible, the linebackers played!

If Honas comes to Nebraska and plays to his full potential, then yes, he starts...same with anyone on the roster. Have to work for BLACKSHIRT in this new regime..guaranteed!

WELCOME TO THE START OF THE NEW LB UNIVERSITY MR HONAS..! If you indeed choose to do so! Winking

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT