ADVERTISEMENT

Why didn’t we recruit Joe Burrow?

It's not the only reason why the person thinks our coach is bad as his job.
There are plenty of reasons to believe that, but putting it in this thread implies that said person thinks our coach is bad at his job because of this.

There are plenty of reasons to believe that, but putting it in this thread implies that said person thinks our coach is bad at his job because of this.
Said person does think our coach is responsible for evaluating talent and hiring competent evaluators and managing the players and the roster and establishing a certain culture and mindset for the team. This is one of many examples of his failures. Yes, he's a bad coach, one of the reasons is he passed on a great quarterback. Not only that, he made himself look the fool in the process.

Said person does think our coach is responsible for evaluating talent and hiring competent evaluators and managing the players and the roster and establishing a certain culture and mindset for the team. This is one of many examples of his failures. Yes, he's a bad coach, one of the reasons is he passed on a great quarterback. Not only that, he made himself look the fool in the process.
One believes what they want to believe. I guess everyone that passed on Burro in the portal is a bad coach?

One believes what they want to believe. I guess everyone that passed on Burro in the portal is a bad coach?
Not at all, as you said, there are plenty of reasons why one would think our coach a bad coach, and one of those reasons is passing on a great quarterback. Again, it isn't the sole reason, but one of many. For each coach that would have had a shot at him but passed on him, each one would have to be evaluated to determine if they were a bad coach. Passing on a great QB that they could have brought into the program would be a notch in the column of "not a good coach."

Legend has it we told Marshall Faulk that if he wanted to play at Nebraska it would have to be as a defensive back

Not at all, as you said, there are plenty of reasons why one would think our coach a bad coach, and one of those reasons is passing on a great quarterback. Again, it isn't the sole reason, but one of many. For each coach that would have had a shot at him but passed on him, each one would have to be evaluated to determine if they were a bad coach. Passing on a great QB that they could have brought into the program would be a notch in the column of "not a good coach."
As most understand, at the time there was no reason to believe that he was a great quarterback.

It's a rea;;y slippery slope to start looking back at all the great players that were passed over by some coach and labeling that coach as bad at his job because, or even partially because of it

It's a rea;;y slippery slope to start looking back at all the great players that were passed over by some coach and labeling that coach as bad at his job because, or even partially because of it
No bowls, 15 wins in 42 games over 4 years...

As most understand, at the time there was no reason to believe that he was a great quarterback.
I'm sorry, he was most certainly highly regarded, how about that? I'm not taking the position that he is a bad coach for the sole reason of his passing on Burrow, I'm saying that he is a bad coach, and part of that proof is his passing on Burrow. If other coaches, who had legit shots at Burrow (who else had a legit shot?) passed on him, then they arguably made a bad decision, that doesn't make them bad coaches if they can show their abilities in other ways. Frost is a bad coach for a number of reasons, and one of the things he has failed at is to bring in the right talent. Burrow was a highly regarded, and talented, quarterback, and Frost passed on him. It wasn't the passing of Burrow that made him bad, it is everything that makes him bad, including the passing on Burrow. If a good coach passed on Burrow, we would say he made a mistake. But when your entire tenure, spanning four years at a school, is mistake after mistake after mistake, and failure after failure, then you are bad at what you do. Frost passing on Burrow wasn't a mistake, he is genuinely bad at his job, and that is why he didn't recruit him. Missing on occasion is understandable, missing all of the time means you suck.

If that coach wins at a good clip while passing up on great players, they have probably proven themselves a good coach (but perhaps a poor talent evaluator). If that coach loses more than he wins, and he has a history of passing on what turn out to be great players, then they are a bad coach.

I'm sorry, he was most certainly highly regarded, how about that? I'm not taking the position that he is a bad coach for the sole reason of his passing on Burrow, I'm saying that he is a bad coach, and part of that proof is his passing on Burrow. If other coaches, who had legit shots at Burrow (who else had a legit shot?) passed on him, then they arguably made a bad decision, that doesn't make them bad coaches if they can show their abilities in other ways. Frost is a bad coach for a number of reasons, and one of the things he has failed at is to bring in the right talent. Burrow was a highly regarded, and talented, quarterback, and Frost passed on him. It wasn't the passing of Burrow that made him bad, it is everything that makes him bad, including the passing on Burrow. If a good coach passed on Burrow, we would say he made a mistake. But when your entire tenure, spanning four years at a school, is mistake after mistake after mistake, and failure after failure, then you are bad at what you do. Frost passing on Burrow wasn't a mistake, he is genuinely bad at his job, and that is why he didn't recruit him. Missing on occasion is understandable, missing all of the time means you suck.
But the question asked was "Why didn’t we recruit Joe Burrow?" And you answered "Because our coach is bad at his job." That implies that you think he is bad at his job BECAUSE he didn't recruit Joe Burrow. That is not true. He is bad at his job for other reasons.

Frost only wins 3-4 games a year. So, yes it is a big deal that he didn't want Burrow. Failure at all facets of the game.

But the question asked was "Why didn’t we recruit Joe Burrow?" And you answered "Because our coach is bad at his job." That implies that you think he is bad at his job BECAUSE he didn't recruit Joe Burrow. That is not true. He is bad at his job for other reasons.
Good grief man. I appreciate that you think that is what I implied. However, it clearly isn't what was meant, and I've explained it in some detail. The suggestion that a head coach is bad or good based on a singular instance of passing on a talented recruit is silly. He's bad at his job for many reasons, including his poor judgment and lack of talent acquisition, which is where JB comes in.

Reactions: WHCSC
Good grief man. I appreciate that you think that is what I implied. However, it clearly isn't what was meant, and I've explained it in some detail. The suggestion that a head coach is bad or good based on a singular instance of passing on a talented recruit is silly. He's bad at his job for many reasons, including his poor judgment and lack of talent acquisition, which is where JB comes in.
Got it. He's a bad coach AND he didn't recruit JB, not he's a bad coach BECAUSE he didn't recruit JB. That makes much more sense.

a head coach and CEO (which he has apparently been demoted to) also involves meeting with the media/messaging etc

in retrospect it would have been nice to have Burrow - but coaches miss on players on the time

the clusterf*&k is largely due to the idiotic comment about - do you think he is better than we've got - which is just one in a long list of unforced errors to date

a head coach and CEO (which he has apparently been demoted to) also involves meeting with the media/messaging etc

in retrospect it would have been nice to have Burrow - but coaches miss on players on the time

the clusterf*&k is largely due to the idiotic comment about - do you think he is better than we've got - which is just one in a long list of unforced errors to date
Where exactly did that comment originate?

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Should Beck and Pelini have done a better job of recruiting Burrow to begin with? Yes.

Blaming Frost for not going after Burrow the year after Martinez freshman year, maybe. At the time Burrow had been passed on the depth chart by a younger player. He threw about 1/3 of the passes in 2017 as he did in 2016. In 3 years at Ohio St, he threw the ball less times than Martinez did in his first 3 games at Nebraska. Like I said it is easy to look at his time at LSU and now with the Bengals and say we should have taken that guy. But at the time he was available the 2nd time, he hadn’t show much and, again, was passed on the depth chart by a younger player.

if you want to go back to Beck and Pelini and criticize their recruiting of Burrow, I would be in full agreement. I’m just not sure there is ample evidence to blame Frost for not taking a chance on taking a guy who was leaving Ohio St because he wasn’t getting playing time and bringing him into a situation where you had a true freshman start. At the time, most people though Martinez was going to be a good QB for Nebraska.

Should Beck and Pelini have done a better job of recruiting Burrow to begin with? Yes.

Blaming Frost for not going after Burrow the year after Martinez freshman year, maybe. At the time Burrow had been passed on the depth chart by a younger player. He threw about 1/3 of the passes in 2017 as he did in 2016. In 3 years at Ohio St, he threw the ball less times than Martinez did in his first 3 games at Nebraska. Like I said it is easy to look at his time at LSU and now with the Bengals and say we should have taken that guy. But at the time he was available the 2nd time, he hadn’t show much and, again, was passed on the depth chart by a younger player.

if you want to go back to Beck and Pelini and criticize their recruiting of Burrow, I would be in full agreement. I’m just not sure there is ample evidence to blame Frost for not taking a chance on taking a guy who was leaving Ohio St because he wasn’t getting playing time and bringing him into a situation where you had a true freshman start. At the time, most people though Martinez was going to be a good QB for Nebraska.
Thanks for summing up the situation.

so the question would be:
1. who did we have behind martinez at the time?
2. would burrow have been ok with sitting out at #2 qb, if he got beat out in compition?

Have you seen us the last two decades? I would say because as an organization we have made a habit of making atrocious decisions.

It was a good decision for him. We would have just squandered his talent and he probably would never have seen the field. We are that good….

Beck and Pelini missed on Burrow, but Pelini was fired shortly after the Iowa game and Beck was then a dead man walking. Does Burrow stick around for Smilin Mike?

Beck and Pelini missed on Burrow, but Pelini was fired shortly after the Iowa game and Beck was then a dead man walking. Does Burrow stick around for Smilin Mike?
Not with LSU calling...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT