ADVERTISEMENT

Why are people predicting doom with minnisota?

yes

In case you haven't noticed , we are not an offensive juggernaut. How many drives have we had that are 3 and out.

On top of that we are running so many conservative , not to shoot yourself in the foot , plays we cant e our of our own way. It's like we are neutered on offense .

Yes, I think so too. Maybe that's why we're always throwing horizontal passes that don't go anywhere. But at least they're not intercepted or fumbled much.

What was Corbin’s longest run against MN? If he got a 15-20 yard run the rest of the game MN held him in check. Just don’t think it’s a fair comparison if we get to drop his long.

But if his longest run was 8 yards, then your post carries more weight.

He did have 1 run of 21 yarda but they did not hold him in check.

Heres his first half yardage breakdown -
4 yards
3 yards
4 yards
1 yard
4 yards
-1 yard
7 yards
10 yards
21 yards
5 yards - this run came with 7 minutes left in the first half.

That is 10 carries for 57 yards. 5.7 ypc.

He touched the ball 4 times in the 2nd half.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
He did have 1 run of 21 yarda but they did not hold him in check.

Heres his first half yardage breakdown -
4 yards
3 yards
4 yards
1 yard
4 yards
-1 yard
7 yards
10 yards
21 yards
5 yards - this run came with 7 minutes left in the first half.

That is 10 carries for 57 yards. 5.7 ypc.

He touched the ball 4 times in the 2nd half.

Why are you cherry picking stats? That YPC goes down a yard for the full game. He was irrelevant. Supposed to eat a ‘bad’ Minnesota defense alive. He was a ghost as an actual factor in the game. MN has yet to give up a single play 40+ yds. N gave up 4 in the first game alone.

Why are you cherry picking stats? That YPC goes down a yard for the full game. He was irrelevant. Supposed to eat a ‘bad’ Minnesota defense alive. He was a ghost as an actual factor in the game. MN has yet to give up a single play 40+ yds. N gave up 4 in the first game alone.

That isn't cherry picking stats. He averaged 5.7 YPC in the first half and barely got a play in the 2nd half. That isn't Minnesota holding him down that is his coaching staff being awful and letting a backup QB throw 30 times and run 7 more while Reggie Corbin gets 4 carries.

Yes his YPG went down for the full game. He "only" averaged 4YPC in the 2nd half on 4 carries. He consistently got more yards on 2nd and 3rd down than he did on 1st down in the first half and yet they only gave him the ball once on 2nd or 3rd down in the entire 2nd half - he gained 6 yards.

Again Minnesota didn't shut Corbin down, Illinois did by abandoning the run 1 drive into the 3rd quarter. Illinois went 9 pass plays in a row without a run in the 2nd quarter and 10 plays in a row without a run in the 3rd quarter - and the 3rd quarter streak ended with a Matt Bonner 5 yard carry. Then Corbin got a 4 yard carry, then 12 straight passes again.

And don't tell me "they were losing bad they had to pass". They threw it a total of 24 times in the first half alone - including 9 straight plays. 14 of which were by the backup QB and he scrambled a couple times on more pass plays that I don't even count here.

Last edited:
Reactions: yunginsNU2
I'll list a few reasons to be apprehensive about playing Minnesota this weekend:

1. At best, we're going to be starting a QB who is less than 100% and has already had numerous struggles throughout the year. Otherwise, we're starting a back-up QB who hasn't had significant playing time in his career. Oh, and the top playmaker in our already weak passing game looks to be out as well.

2. We have one of the worst kicking games in the country and when you're not good enough to blow people out, you can't leave points on the field whether it be a field goal or an extra point.

3. Our offensive line simply isn't very good. I'm not sure what we can realistically expect to change at this point in the season.

4. We're 107th in turnover margin and 58th in penalties. When a team struggles to cover for other deficiencies they press and make mistakes.

Given all of these challenges, I think it's going to be difficult to score more than 14 points. Say what you want about Minnesota's strength of schedule, but they haven't beaten themselves. A conservative, low-risk gameplan should be enough to beat Nebraska this week.
And, I would add, we have a center that has no idea where his snaps will land, which screw up the timing on everything.

Reactions: bshirt73
That isn't cherry picking stats. He averaged 5.7 YPC in the first half and barely got a play in the 2nd half. That isn't Minnesota holding him down that is his coaching staff being awful and letting a backup QB throw 30 times and run 7 more while Reggie Corbin gets 4 carries.

Yes his YPG went down for the full game. He "only" averaged 4YPC in the 2nd half on 4 carries. He consistently got more yards on 2nd and 3rd down than he did on 1st down in the first half and yet they only gave him the ball once on 2nd or 3rd down in the entire 2nd half - he gained 6 yards.

Again Minnesota didn't shut Corbin down, Illinois did by abandoning the run 1 drive into the 3rd quarter. Illinois went 9 pass plays in a row without a run in the 2nd quarter and 10 plays in a row without a run in the 3rd quarter - and the 3rd quarter streak ended with a Matt Bonner 5 yard carry. Then Corbin got a 4 yard carry, then 12 straight passes again.

And don't tell me "they were losing bad they had to pass". They threw it a total of 24 times in the first half alone - including 9 straight plays. 14 of which were by the backup QB and he scrambled a couple times on more pass plays that I don't even count here.

The fact remains I will argue Minnesota’s defense is better than many people think for several reasons. Mainly, I think, due to they are getting healthier as most other teams seem to be going in the other direction. That is certainly debatable. A week ago IL fans were drooling at the mouth they would come in and run and pass all over the field. At no point did IL establish anything resembling a factor in the running game. Their offense was dominated. We will find what kind of defense MN really has soon enough.

The fact remains I will argue Minnesota’s defense is better than many people think for several reasons. Mainly, I think, due to they are getting healthier as most other teams seem to be going in the other direction. That is certainly debatable. A week ago IL fans were drooling at the mouth they would come in and run and pass all over the field. At no point did IL establish anything resembling a factor in the running game. Their offense was dominated. We will find what kind of defense MN really has soon enough.

Good for you. No one outside of Minnesota cares about the Minny D. Not sure why you are looking for validation here. You won't get it.

Your post makes complete sense. You would expect that we'd be able to do better or at least match the offense of SDSU, Georgia So, Purdue, and Illinois but something is off with our team this year....

-We can't snap a ball consistently.
-Our inside run game has been completely ineffective.
-The pass game is lack luster because every pass is near the line of scrimmage.
-We don't seem to know how to throw a downfield pass!!!
-Our WRs apparently struggle at running the right route.
-We are only able to throw to JD Spielman (who is injured) or Wandale Robinson.
-We are so prone to turnovers that we have to call extremely conservative plays which lead to consistent 3 and outs.
-Our extremely talented QB seems too nervous to throw WRs open and is also hesitant to tuck and run.
-Our extremely talented QB is injured.
-We don't have a confident Field Goal kicker to finish drives.

I think we are more talented then Minnesota and I really like our staff. I think we have tools to put up big time points and should be able to score at will on teams like Minnesota. Maybe I am overreacting but it seems like there are too many strange issues holding us back this season.
Its not a good sign when Frost says things like, "I have never been a part of a game like that or I have never seen that" He has said that a lot last year and this year. Not sure what is going on. Opposing coaching figuring Frost out? Frost figuring out the BIG10? Riley players still bogging the process down? All I know is this program has a long way to go.

Its not a good sign when Frost says things like, "I have never been a part of a game like that or I have never seen that" He has said that a lot last year and this year. Not sure what is going on. Opposing coaching figuring Frost out? Frost figuring out the BIG10? Riley players still bogging the process down? All I know is this program has a long way to go.

Honestly, our QB play has been putrid. I know everyone likes to beat the shit out of the OL but when the opposing team drops safeties in the box and has no fear of the pass, you're going to find HB dive play extremely difficult. We've struggled this year due to turnovers and a QB that can't get out of his own way.

I'm amazed we've had any success running.

I didn't think we would fall apart like we did. I figured we could lose/ or win a close game. I guess I was hoping we were getting better and reducing mistakes.
:cool:

You guys rarely give your opponents any credit and it’s too bad.
Instead, you blame your very average play on injuries, bad refs, coaches from the past, ADs from the past, ghosts, etc...instead of acknowledging you were beaten by a better team.
You’re not a blue blood program any more and none outside Husker Nation views you that way. So when you disrespect other programs as in... “we shouldn’t be losing to the likes of Minnesota/Iowa/Purdue. It’s not acceptable.”, you only appear rude, out of touch with reality, and you certainly don’t live up to your self-labelled ‘nicest fan’ moniker.

You guys rarely give your opponents any credit and it’s too bad.
Instead, you blame your very average play on injuries, bad refs, coaches from the past, ADs from the past, ghosts, etc...instead of acknowledging you were beaten by a better team.
You’re not a blue blood program any more and none outside Husker Nation views you that way. So when you disrespect other programs as in... “we shouldn’t be losing to the likes of Minnesota/Iowa/Purdue. It’s not acceptable.”, you only appear rude, out of touch with reality, and you certainly don’t live up to your self-labelled ‘nicest fan’ moniker.

So this is your first year as a college football fan?

This stuffs way lightweight, go check out SecRant, you nancy.

Talk when you play a good team. Can't claim Georgia or Florida either. Consist pretenders.

Thank God for the transfer portal... it saved BLM Mizzou from being a 2 win team.

We will enjoy a 9 win season, great road trips and piles of money that’s about to explode with the new tv deal. You have fun going to West Lafayette and a 5 win season.

The fact that you think Florida and Georgia are pretenders show how little you know about college football.

We will enjoy a 9 win season, great road trips and piles of money that’s about to explode with the new tv deal. You have fun going to West Lafayette and a 5 win season.

The fact that you think Florida and Georgia are pretenders show how little you know about college football.

Georgia and Florida would both get destroyed by Ohio State and Wisconsin.

The fact that you don't realize they are yearly pretenders shows how little you know about college football.

Reactions: opie22 and SC_'sker
Georgia and Florida would both get destroyed by Ohio State and Wisconsin.

The fact that you don't realize they are yearly pretenders shows how little you know about college football.

That’s why Georgia was in the CFB playoff the last two years and a hair away from winning it all...way to be you. We will see soon enough, little guy.

That’s why Georgia was in the CFB playoff the last two years and a hair away from winning it all...way to be you. We will see soon enough, little guy.

Lol... how did they do? You will still lose to them anyways, so why argue about this? Better schedule more directional Missouri teams. You really want to avoid those powerhouses like Wyoming.

Lol... how did they do? You will still lose to them anyways, so why argue about this? Better schedule more directional Missouri teams. You really want to avoid those powerhouses like Wyoming.

Ha. You talking shit is funny and sad at the same time. Poor little guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT