ADVERTISEMENT

Why are people predicting doom with minnisota?

redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
I looked at who they played and the only thing that stands out to me is they blew out someone we played close. is there something more than this?

As I’ve said before, not only are we playing against the opponent, we’re also playing against the University of Nebraska.

We didn’t have any turnovers in the last game but we had a missed fg. We’re just not that good to be honest but at least we’ve found ways to win 2 games (Illinois and NW) that we would have lost last year.

I looked at who they played and the only thing that stands out to me is they blew out someone we played close. is there something more than this?
Minnesota hasn't played anyone, but is thought to be playing pretty good football. They played Papa Smurfs team in Minny, ran the ball well, and kept Corbin pretty much in check. NU spotted Illinois 21 on the road via turnovers, let Corbin pop a big run, but out yarded ILL 674-299 (compared to the Gophers 487-248 vs ILL).
The Gophers are favored as the home team. Don't know their health status, but NU is pretty banged up on O. Would be a nice win to get, especially if we do it with a back up QB.

thus far we have 2 wins against power 5 teams. Those teams have a combined 3 wins on the season and zero wins against other power 5 teams.

Both our wins were toss ups and evenly matched games

Minnesota likewise hasn't played anyone

I'll list a few reasons to be apprehensive about playing Minnesota this weekend:

1. At best, we're going to be starting a QB who is less than 100% and has already had numerous struggles throughout the year. Otherwise, we're starting a back-up QB who hasn't had significant playing time in his career. Oh, and the top playmaker in our already weak passing game looks to be out as well.

2. We have one of the worst kicking games in the country and when you're not good enough to blow people out, you can't leave points on the field whether it be a field goal or an extra point.

3. Our offensive line simply isn't very good. I'm not sure what we can realistically expect to change at this point in the season.

4. We're 107th in turnover margin and 58th in penalties. When a team struggles to cover for other deficiencies they press and make mistakes.

Given all of these challenges, I think it's going to be difficult to score more than 14 points. Say what you want about Minnesota's strength of schedule, but they haven't beaten themselves. A conservative, low-risk gameplan should be enough to beat Nebraska this week.

I wouldn't say I'm skeptical, it's just become obvious with this Nebraska team that you might as well wait and see. We CAN win this game, obviously, but it's not like we can count on a solid all around performance. Minnesota is not drastically better, so I'm expecting a close game.

Reactions: redwine65
Yeah I don't think it is so much that people fear MN. MN is not a great looking team, they hardly made it past some pretty bad opponents so far. They do have a very solid QB and a couple good WRs. However, It is more so that we are just that bad and any team at any time could realistically beat us. We are our own worst enemy. If we could play a clean game from start to finish, we have them out manned/ more overall talent to beat them by 2 or 3 tds. So far we have a tendency to let lesser teams hang around until we beat ourselves. In MN with crap weather, us missing our starting QB and top WR potentially. The edge is in the favor for sure. All things considered, especially with the bad weather threat I see this being a close game. I would be shocked if they are able to blow us out or us them.

Reactions: redwine65
Can say the same for Nebraska now, can't you? We haven't been knocking down many mountains lately either.

I'll list a few reasons to be apprehensive about playing Minnesota this weekend:

1. At best, we're going to be starting a QB who is less than 100% and has already had numerous struggles throughout the year. Otherwise, we're starting a back-up QB who hasn't had significant playing time in his career. Oh, and the top playmaker in our already weak passing game looks to be out as well.

2. We have one of the worst kicking games in the country and when you're not good enough to blow people out, you can't leave points on the field whether it be a field goal or an extra point.

3. Our offensive line simply isn't very good. I'm not sure what we can realistically expect to change at this point in the season.

4. We're 107th in turnover margin and 58th in penalties. When a team struggles to cover for other deficiencies they press and make mistakes.

Given all of these challenges, I think it's going to be difficult to score more than 14 points. Say what you want about Minnesota's strength of schedule, but they haven't beaten themselves. A conservative, low-risk gameplan should be enough to beat Nebraska this week.
There's a difference between being "apprehensive" and treating as an automatic loss. You say you're just "apprehensive" and then your comments seem to treat it more as the latter-as if we'd be lucky to beat them.I don't think anybody is saying this is an automatic win, but it's certainly not an automatic loss either.

South Dakota State scores 21, Fresno State scores 35, Georgia Southern scores 32, Purdue Scores 31, and Illinois scores 17...

And it’ll be difficult for Nebraska to score more than 14 points? Wow...

South Dakota State scores 21, Fresno State scores 35, Georgia Southern scores 32, Purdue Scores 31, and Illinois scores 17...

And it’ll be difficult for Nebraska to score more than 14 points? Wow...
Take away all the points we gave Illinois, the score would have been about the same. I think it will be a good close game. I'm taking the Scarlett for the win

Take away all the points we gave Illinois, the score would have been about the same. I think it will be a good close game. I'm taking the Scarlett for the win
I really, really want this win. We need to start winning consistently against these mid level B1G teams. No more losses to the Purdues and Minnesotas and Northwesterns. That would be progress that is reasonable and not koolaid induced nonsense.

5-2 with 2 weeks off to heal would be great!

I really, really want this win. We need to start winning consistently against these mid level B1G teams. No more losses to the Purdues and Minnesotas and Northwesterns. That would be progress that is reasonable and not koolaid induced nonsense.

5-2 with 2 weeks off to heal would be great!

I guess I consider us to be one of those mid-level B1G teams until proven otherwise.

I will say this, I have been wrong about 2 coaches so far in the Big Ten, James Franklin at Penn State and PJ Fleck at Minnesota. Both guys seem like absolute turbo douches and completely fake, but they find a way to win.

If Fleck wins this one, they have a good shot at being 8-0 with a home game vs Penn State on Nov. 9. Simply they have found a way to win close games and that grows on a team and gives them confidence. College football is a fickle game and it can come apart fast but PJ has found a way to keep the boat afloat.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

Either our D players are football dumb, or they are poorly coached. Our D players are more physically talented than Wiscy's.

NW D is legit. Yes it is by far a better win than anything MN has done right now.
By far? Northwestern is 63 in the Sagarin ratings while Fresno state is 64 but the gophers beat Fresno on the road while you had Northwestern at home. Pretty comparable wins IMO.

As I’ve said before, not only are we playing against the opponent, we’re also playing against the University of Nebraska.

We didn’t have any turnovers in the last game but we had a missed fg. We’re just not that good to be honest but at least we’ve found ways to win 2 games (Illinois and NW) that we would have lost last year.
This.

This would be a very big win for Frost. And would hurt Fleck’s rebuild at Minnesota. They have big lines and some skill. There QB struggles to pass so I’d say the key is to contain their run game and stuff them on 3rd down and longs. Hope we can win the field position battle too... I just have not seen our O’s ability to sustain long 80-85 yard drives.

Reactions: WHCSC
This would be a very big win for Frost. And would hurt Fleck’s rebuild at Minnesota. They have big lines and some skill. There QB struggles to pass so I’d say the key is to contain their run game and stuff them on 3rd down and longs. Hope we can win the field position battle too... I just have not seen our O’s ability to sustain long 80-85 yard drives.
Morgan has the 4th highest passer rating in the country behind only Hurts, Burrow and Tua and is completing over 70% of his passes, averaging over 250 yards per game and has thrown 13 td’s to 3 int’s. And is 9-2 as a starter. I wouldn’t say he struggles as a passer. Pocket presence is really the only thing he needs to work on as he has taken a fair amount of sacks this year, two of them strip sacks for TD’s.

Reactions: opie22
ADVERTISEMENT