ADVERTISEMENT

When was the first time you saw a Husker home game live?

1988 OSU @ NU...10 years old and probably didn't realize I was watching one of the greatest runningbacks of all time run all over Nebraskas defense... Gundy and Sanders put up a fight down the stretch but Clark out rushed Sanders and Taylor had a big day on the ground also.... 63-42 good guys...
THAT might have been as good an offensive game as you could ever see....:)

Reactions: Husker1078
1991(ish) with the We backs, jones and Brown.

Me and a buddy left Omaha on a Friday evening, picked up a bottle of something in a sack, came back on what I think was Monday...and this was before cell phones so our families were pretty worried. Not exactly sure what we did for 3 days, but it was an adventure.

Reactions: huskerfan66
First live game was in 1988 at the Rose Bowl vs UCLA and Troy Aikman. I live in Southern California and didn't have the means at the time to travel to Lincoln for a live game so I did the next best thing, I went to the Rose Bowl up the freeway to watch a live game.

Living in Pennsylvania I've unfortunately never been to a home game. I did see us play Penn State in Happy Valley in 2002. It's probably a good thing I was young and don't remember much of the game because the Nits won 40-7 lol.

Living in Pennsylvania I've unfortunately never been to a home game. I did see us play Penn State in Happy Valley in 2002. It's probably a good thing I was young and don't remember much of the game because the Nits won 40-7 lol.
Yeah, I remember that game, yuck! It's amazing how loyal we Nebraska fans are and what a mystery we are to other fan bases. No matter what the score we keep coming back for more, it's what being loyal means.

Did you really??? There WAS a chapel????
Yeah, it was a little white building that I saw off in the distance. The property was barb-wired off with a no trespassing sign so I didn't drive up there. I think this is the building I saw.

image-placeholder-title.webp

Reactions: RaulJones
Oregon-Nebraska, September 1971. Dan Fouts and Bobby Moore (Ahmad Rashad) couldn't hang with the national champs, losing 34-7.

Of course, because my dad and I sneaked into the stadium at halftime (a thing back then) and watched from under the east stadium balcony, it wasn't the first game I attended with a ticket.

That would have been the 1973 Wisconsin game, a 20-16 Nebraska comeback victory.

THAT might have been as good an offensive game as you could ever see....:)
I wasn't able to see that game, I remember traveling and listening to it. Someone I know swore that a Husker hit Barry Sanders on the side of the legs and he went airborne 90 degrees sideways......then he somehow came down, like a cat would, and kept running.
Interesting tidbit. The previous year NU played OSU in Stillwater. They had the All-American Thurman Thomas starting and the All-American punt returner Barry Sanders backing him up. NU not only won but shut them out. The two teams had confronted each other at a theater the night before with Thomas making all kinds of gestures at the Huskers. He rushed for 7 yards. They were relentlessly pounding on him all day. In the fourth quarter they inserted Sanders (game was obviously over) and he ran a little wild. I remember watching the game and being happy he didn't play all day.

First game probably '77, don't recall exactly; earliest specific game I remember attending is '79 thumping of Penn State, into which ticketlessly I snuck with a backpack full of beer in tow. Who'd suspect a 12 year old?

Epic game, for sure. Callahan's resignation letter, if you will. But not a home game.
Excuse the troll, he/she isn’t a Husker fan..

Went with a bus load of people to that game.. KU arguably best team in school history winning the Orange Bowl..

I know I was at 1994 UCLA in Lincoln. I think I was at another a couple years before but not sure which one. I just know we won and I know my buddy got hit in the face with an orange at the end of the game.

Excuse the troll, he/she isn’t a Husker fan..

Went with a bus load of people to that game.. KU arguably best team in school history winning the Orange Bowl..
In retrospect in these types of games, it's initially always good to recognize the happiness experienced by our opponents in ending these types of streaks. Tough, of course, especially in the case of Colorado, but certainly a good exercise in empathy.
  • 1986: Colorado 20, Nebraska 10, ending an 18-game losing streak to Nebraska.
  • 1992: Iowa State 19, Nebraska 10, ending a 14-game losing streak to Nebraska.
  • 1998: Kansas State 40, Nebraska 30, ending a 29-game losing streak.
  • 2000: Oklahoma 31, Nebraska 14, ending a 7-game losing streak.
  • 2001: Colorado 62, Nebraska 36, ending an 8-game losing streak.
  • 2002: Oklahoma State 24 Nebraska 21, ending a 26-game losing streak, and a 38-game non-winning streak (17-17 tie in 1973).
  • 2003: Missouri 41, Nebraska 24, ending a 24-game losing streak.
  • 2005: Kansas 40, Nebraska 15, ending a 36-game losing streak.
We have some scores to settle soon with Wisconsin (9 games), Minnesota (4 games), Michigan (3 games), Illinois (3 games), Purdue (2 games), and Colorado (2 games). Ohio State isn't on the schedule, but we have a 7-game losing streak to them.

Reactions: scarletred
First game of the 70 season
Grandfather had four season tickets as he ran the NU Agronomy farm at 70th and Adams. Employee season tickets were $18.75 at that time.

Who won your game?
Let me tell you: One of the largest schools in Class A verses the smallest in Class A at the time. Heck we're down to Class C now. And they boat raced us two years later in McCook. They had a super good nose guard named Reggie Gast....I think. Whatever happened to him?

September 17th 1994 vs UCLA

Freshman year of college. I think it was TO's 200th win?

Gameday was there, I made it on TV, I remember that. I sat with Lambda Chi, they invited me, never joined them though. We drank Hot 100 in the stands on that hot ass day.

I remember the dorms that morning, it was so fun. All the doors were opened to the rooms, music blasting, people drinking, putting on their Husker gear, girls getting all slutty looking while still being in Husker gear. Then walking to the stadium from Abel was like nothing I had ever seen. Everyone in red/white, thousands of people all walking in the same direction. It was so cool.

Later on in college I started skipping games to day drink and party. A friend of mine would never skip and he said "Yeah, we will never see them this good again, I don't want to miss any games"

I think my student tickets for the season cost 75 dollars.

Let me tell you: One of the largest schools in Class A verses the smallest in Class A at the time. Heck we're down to Class C now. And they boat raced us two years later in McCook. They had a super good nose guard named Reggie Gast....I think. Whatever happened to him?
Gast played defensive end for Nebraska, but before that, he was also a member on Paul Forch's Miracle Spartans 1971 state basketball championship team. Another member of the basketball team, Kent Reckeway, played hoops for Slippery Joe Cipriano and the Huskers.

Forch's oldest son, Steve, also played football for the Huskers.

In retrospect in these types of games, it's initially always good to recognize the happiness experienced by our opponents in ending these types of streaks. Tough, of course, especially in the case of Colorado, but certainly a good exercise in empathy.
  • 1986: Colorado 20, Nebraska 10, ending an 18-game losing streak to Nebraska.
  • 1992: Iowa State 19, Nebraska 10, ending a 14-game losing streak to Nebraska.
  • 1998: Kansas State 40, Nebraska 30, ending a 29-game losing streak.
  • 2000: Oklahoma 31, Nebraska 14, ending a 7-game losing streak.
  • 2001: Colorado 62, Nebraska 36, ending an 8-game losing streak.
  • 2002: Oklahoma State 24 Nebraska 21, ending a 26-game losing streak, and a 38-game non-winning streak (17-17 tie in 1973).
  • 2003: Missouri 41, Nebraska 24, ending a 24-game losing streak.
  • 2005: Kansas 40, Nebraska 15, ending a 36-game losing streak.
We have some scores to settle soon with Wisconsin (9 games), Minnesota (4 games), Michigan (3 games), Illinois (3 games), Purdue (2 games), and Colorado (2 games). Ohio State isn't on the schedule, but we have a 7-game losing streak to them.
Pretty good memory and history my friend this is the stuff fans like you makes you are a hard core fan..

Reactions: 9and4
NU vs UCLA at the Rose Bowl, 2011 or 2012. Hot day, but the tailgating was fun. Of course we lost.
Oops, read this wrong. The above game was my first and only in person Husker game. Haven’t been to one in Lincoln. In my defense I moved out of Nebraska when I was about 10 months old

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT