ADVERTISEMENT

When MUST Frost Win 10 Games?

SWIowahawks

Senior
Sep 2, 2006
I’ll start by saying I’m impressed with Scott Frost so far. He is gonna be hard to root against. Leading up to our last game, I kept thinking about how it would be nice for that game to actually mean something big.

So when do Nebraska fans expect him to win 10 games? 2018 just isn’t going to happen IMO. The schedule is pretty brutal and the talent is lacking. 2019 seems much more manageable. If Nebraska doesn’t win 10 games in 2019 will he still get a pass because of who he is?

I would think by 2020, fans would get extremely restless if the Huskers didn’t win 10 games. So what are your personal expectations?

I’ll start by saying I’m impressed with Scott Frost so far. He is gonna be hard to root against. Leading up to our last game, I kept thinking about how it would be nice for that game to actually mean something big.

So when do Nebraska fans expect him to win 10 games? 2018 just isn’t going to happen IMO. The schedule is pretty brutal and the talent is lacking. 2019 seems much more manageable. If Nebraska doesn’t win 10 games in 2019 will he still get a pass because of who he is?

I would think by 2020, fans would get extremely restless if the Huskers didn’t win 10 games. So what are your personal expectations?
I don't think anyone is expecting 10 wins next year. I think Husker fans are willing to be very patient with Frost. I think what most of us want to see, even if we don't win 10 games in the first few years, is a return to Nebraska playing very competitive football. In that regard, what will matter when we lose a game, and we will, is HOW we lost. Way too many blowout losses by Pelini/Riley.

No one is initially expecting that...at least no sane person.

People just want to see a football team that matters. Over the 18 seasons this century NU football has mattered in maybe 2-3 of them. Gotta change that and the rest falls in to place.

He's gonna get a long leash....real long.

Next year I look for NU to struggle to win 6-7 games including the bowl game. 2019 however, I expect 8, 9, maybe 10 wins. 2020-21 could be very special seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: tad2001
If you want a measurable...
2018: 6-6
2019: 8-4
2020: 10-2

But as long as we don't fall back on 2018 I'm fine with riding it out and hoping for some conference title play in 3-5 years. I think the above is practical and attainable. Id take three 8-4 seasons over two 6-6 and one 10-2 season

Reactions: jeans15

Interesting comment on wanting the game to mean something. With all due respect, Iowa has to step up their game for it to mean something consistently as well. For the last 10 years Iowa has only been 1st or 2nd in the division 3 times.

Certainly NU has to get better and fortunately is changing to do so. But what is Iowa doing to uphold their end of making it a meaningful game?

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I honestly don't think it will take more than 3 years to win 10.

Riley got 9 in year two and Frost has exceeded in 2 years as a head coach what Riley had accomplished, win/loss wise, in a whole career as a head coach.

Reactions: chrsmneric
Interesting comment on wanting the game to mean something. With all due respect, Iowa has to step up their game for it to mean something consistently as well. For the last 10 years Iowa has only been 1st or 2nd in the division 3 times.

Certainly NU has to get better and fortunately is changing to do so. But what is Iowa doing to uphold their end of making it a meaningful game?
Which is exactly why I made the comment. It would mean Iowa is doing well. The only time the game has “mattered” was when Iowa was trying to finish the season undefeated. Otherwise, someone has had the division wrapped up, including Nebraska. Other than bowl game pecking orders of course.

You guys have decent expectations to start. Being competitive is a huge step in getting back towards the top. Does Frost get longer than an outsider?

Reactions: Sinomatic
Which is exactly why I made the comment. It would mean Iowa is doing well. The only time the game has “mattered” was when Iowa was trying to finish the season undefeated. Otherwise, someone has had the division wrapped up, including Nebraska. Other than bowl game pecking orders of course.

You guys have decent expectations to start. Being competitive is a huge step in getting back towards the top. Does Frost get longer than an outsider?

He will absolutely get longere. It may not be "fair", but he will have a much longer leash.

Reactions: NU_FTW

Yes, Frost will get longer time than an outsider.

Reactions: NU_FTW
it will be interesting to track the progress or lack thereof over the next 5 years of the power 5 schools making a coaching change and see where Nebraska fits - I realize the situations the new coaches are walking into aren't the same

Oregon State
Arkansas
Arizona State
Tennessee
UCLA
aTm
FSU/Florida

I ranked those based on a subjective worst to best jobs ... did I miss any power 5 programs?

Will be interesting to see our recruiting class this year versus some of the others - particularly Arkansas, Tennessee and ASU

Last edited:
I'm going into this hire with full faith that Frost will turn things around maybe not this year. Maybe not in 2 years. I have full patience and thus, no expectations.

I look for seven wins next year. Win all our home games except MSU, and then pick up one or two wins on the road... maybe Northwestern and Iowa.

I am not nearly as pessimistic about 2018 now as I was when Riley was the coach. Do I expect to NU to go unbeaten? Hell no, but I don't expect huskers to get rolled either. 3 months ago, the 2018 schedule looked scary, it just doesn't any more. If frost goes 4-8 or 5-7, so be it. Be I honestly think this team won't do that. tOSU is the most difficult opponent on the schedule and we actually get a bye week before that.

Old Blue is a very beatable team & Wisconsin graduates a ton from defense. We actually have a lot of guys back and should they work hard and buy in, there is no telling what this team could be like in 2018. Is the schedule going to be difficult? Yep. But playing a lot of good programs is going to bring opportunity to the Husker program and I almost look at it like "house money". No one expects much but I won't be totally shocked if Frost pulls out a 9-3 season. But that all starts in the Gym. Gotta get stronger. Much stronger. Guys can do that, watch out.

And I look for it to be a little worse early in the season then by the end of the season.

Reactions: Sinomatic
It's odd as pessimistic about 2018 now then I was when Riley was the coach. Do I expect to NU to go unbeaten? Hell no, but I don't expect huskers to get rolled either. 3 months ago, the 2017 schedule looked scary, it just doesn't any more. If frost goes 4-8 or 5-7, so be it. Be I honestly think this team won't do that. tOSU is the worst opponent on the schedule and we actually get a bye week before that.

Old Blue is a very beatable team & Wisconsin graduates a ton from defense. We actually have a lot of guys back and should they work hard and buy in, there is no telling what this team could be like in 2018. Is the schedule going to be difficult? Yep. But playing a lot of good programs is going to bring opportunity to the Husker program and I almost look at it like "house money". No one expects much but I won't be totally shocked if Frost pulls out a 9-3 season. But that all starts in the Gym. Gotta get stronger. Much stronger.
This. Lots back and Frost will coach them up. I have no idea why people are so damn scared. We should have a chance to compete to win every game, as it should be

Good coaches can turn programs around quickly if the players buy in. However I don't expect NU will do better than a 7-5 record in 2018, which considering how things went this year would be a vast improvement.

This. Lots back and Frost will coach them up. I have no idea why people are so damn scared. We should have a chance to compete to win every game, as it should be
I don't disagree at all with the more optimistic opinions about next year.
But damn... I drank heavily from the red koolaid keg before this season so I am in a "prove it to me" mindset right now about next year.

First year and Coach has to Change schemes on both sides of the ball regardless if the defense is going to play a 3-4 defense and Throw in the terrible tackling that needs to be fixed ASAP, finishing 6-6 or 7-5 and keeping games close to win and not get boat raced is what my expectations are for the first season..

After the first season I can see this program make huge strides moving forward...

Funny we get this question asked from a Iowa fan about 10 wins when Iowa has won +10 games only 3 times since Pederson hired Callahan.

Last edited:
As for Year 1, on the plus side:
- lots of young kids played, game experience, even in a losing effort, is hard to replicate
- kids will be playing to prove something
- style of defense will allow the kids to get after it, as opposed to being reactionary
On the minus side:
- offensive system is about a 180 change, will one of our QBs be able to ably operate Frost's system
- the schedule is quite challenging, the Year 1 Riley schedule would be preferred

As for Year 2 and after that, it's about whether the kids on your roster really want to do what it takes to win at a high level. I don't know the answer to that.

Yes I think for better or worse he does get a longer rope, but we are also talking about a guy who's resume is astounding! We're not talking about a coordinator who has never pulled up the big seat, or an experiment like Riley.

I don't think it's necessarily PURE favoritism, Scott has earned some stripes and this program needs some TLC and us fans should know that, come to grips, still expect competitiveness above all else, and give them the space they need.

I've hear multiple leaders in the Husker family say we need to take it easy with our attitude and the way we react with......human beings...........on social media.

I think they are right. We need to go easy, it will get better.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
10 wins in 2018 and 10+ every year after for 25 total years before Frost retires. He is the next Osborne.

I am willing to bet we aren't "blown out" very much, if ever, we Frost at the helm. Why? His offense will put up points. Maybe lose like 55-42, but not a 56-24 type blowout.

Frost's first year at UCF, they scored 38, 14, 24, 53, 47, 25, 24, 24, 37, 24, 20, 31. I think we can do well on offense if we have a good enough QB next year that can run the offense.

If we find a QB that can run the offense like Frost wants:

2018 Nebraska Schedule I think 9-3 with a bowl game win gets us to 10.
Sept. 1 Akron - W
Sept. 8 Colorado - W
Sept. 15 Troy - W
Sept. 22 at Michigan - Toss up (Can Mich find an offense to keep up? Michigan won vs UCF in 2016 51-14... ouch! But, they scored a ton of points on most teams that year... All depends on their offense and if they fix it.)
Sept. 29 Purdue - W
Oct. 6 at Wisconsin - Toss up
Oct. 13 at Northwestern - W
Oct. 20 Minnesota - W
Oct. 27 BYE - W (We will win the Bye week this year!)
Nov. 3 at Ohio State - L
Nov. 10 Illinois - W
Nov. 17 Michigan State - W
Nov. 23 at Iowa - W

2019 Nebraska Schedule 11-1, reach CCG and a damn good bowl game.
Aug. 31 South Alabama - W
Sept. 7 at Colorado - W
Sept. 14 Northern Illinois - W
Sept. 21 at Illinois - W
Sept. 28 Ohio State - Toss up (Surely Meyer will be gone by then... right?)
Oct. 5 Northwestern - W
Oct. 12 at Minnesota - W
Oct. 19 BYE
Oct. 26 Indiana - W
Nov. 2 at Purdue - W
Nov. 9 BYE
Nov. 16 Wisconsin - W
Nov. 23 at Maryland - W
Nov. 29 Iowa - W

I like putting pressure on Frost... he can handle it. He is one cool cookie!

I don't disagree at all with the more optimistic opinions about next year.
But damn... I drank heavily from the red koolaid keg before this season so I am in a "prove it to me" mindset right now about next year.
Haha. I haven't drank Koolaid in years, so maybe I am a little thirsty and that's why I am optimistic.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I hate looking at total wins. I would rather look at 2 more accurate measures: total losses and wins versus top 25 teams.

10 wins in 2018 and 10+ every year after for 25 total years before Frost retires. He is the next Osborne.

I am willing to bet we aren't "blown out" very much, if ever, we Frost at the helm. Why? His offense will put up points. Maybe lose like 55-42, but not a 56-24 type blowout.

Frost's first year at UCF, they scored 38, 14, 24, 53, 47, 25, 24, 24, 37, 24, 20, 31. I think we can do well on offense if we have a good enough QB next year that can run the offense.

Sept. 1 Akron - W
Sept. 8 Colorado - W
Sept. 15 Troy - W
Sept. 22 at Michigan - Toss up (Can Mich find an offense to keep up? Michigan won vs UCF in 2016 51-14... ouch! But, they scored a ton of points on most teams that year... All depends on their offense and if they fix it.)
Sept. 29 Purdue - W
Oct. 20 Minnesota - W
Nov. 3 at Ohio State - L
Nov. 10 Illinois - W
Nov. 23 at Iowa - W

Sept. 7 at Colorado - W
Sept. 21 at Illinois - W
Oct. 5 Northwestern - W
Oct. 12 at Minnesota - W
Oct. 19 BYE
Oct. 26 Indiana - W
Nov. 2 at Purdue - W
Nov. 9 BYE
Nov. 16 Wisconsin - W
Nov. 23 at Maryland - W
Nov. 29 Iowa - W

Thank you for this. Search word 2018 projection.

Sept. 1 Akron - W
Sept. 8 Colorado - W
Sept. 15 Troy - W
Sept. 29 Purdue - W
Oct. 20 Minnesota - W
Nov. 3 at Ohio State - L
Nov. 10 Illinois - W
Nov. 23 at Iowa - W

Sept. 7 at Colorado - W
Sept. 21 at Illinois - W
Oct. 5 Northwestern - W
Oct. 12 at Minnesota - W
Oct. 19 BYE
Oct. 26 Indiana - W
Nov. 2 at Purdue - W
Nov. 9 BYE
Nov. 16 Wisconsin - W
Nov. 23 at Maryland - W
Nov. 29 Iowa - W

I'm not as concerned with the offense as I'm with the defense, never seen such a bad tackling soft defense since I've been following Nebraska football for 54 years.

Defense will need big improvement to reach the record you and I want to obtain next year.

Sept. 1 Akron - W
Sept. 8 Colorado - W
Sept. 15 Troy - W
Sept. 29 Purdue - W
Oct. 20 Minnesota - W
Nov. 3 at Ohio State - L
Nov. 10 Illinois - W
Nov. 23 at Iowa - W

Sept. 7 at Colorado - W
Sept. 21 at Illinois - W
Oct. 5 Northwestern - W
Oct. 12 at Minnesota - W
Oct. 19 BYE
Oct. 26 Indiana - W
Nov. 2 at Purdue - W
Nov. 9 BYE
Nov. 16 Wisconsin - W
Nov. 23 at Maryland - W
Nov. 29 Iowa - W

Might be a little optimistic. Frost is gonna have to learn to coach defense if Nebraska is gonna be good. It seems that high scoring spread teams don’t score a lot against good defenses. Which is why I’m not 100% sure Frost is gonna be the second coming of Osborne.

But he has only been a head coach for two years so who knows that his future teams will resemble UCF.

If Nebraska had the same defensive stats as UCF did, we probably win 2 to 3 more games this year. Oregon, NIU, Northwestern with a better D could have been obvious W's.

UCF had a good number of turnovers.

Last edited:
Might be a little optimistic.

Yep! I am the same guy that thought we had a good chance to surprise everyone this year and win 11 games... :oops:

But, I am glad to see the result (Frost) of not winning this year.

The defense will play a huge part for sure. If our offense could have scored 40 points a game this year, the D might not have seemed quite as bad as the pathetic POS it ended up being. God I hope Chinander can get the D solid real quick!

I don't think anyone is expecting 10 wins next year. I think Husker fans are willing to be very patient with Frost. I think what most of us want to see, even if we don't win 10 games in the first few years, is a return to Nebraska playing very competitive football. In that regard, what will matter when we lose a game, and we will, is HOW we lost. Way too many blowout losses by Pelini/Riley.

The fit and our culture being revived is more important right now

THE LAST TIME I WAS THIS EXCITED WAS 1997

Look at how the former players reacted

This is OUR COACH not some transplant or duck tape Riley fix LOOK AT HOW THE FORMER PLAYERS TREAT FROST

GBR

Man. If former players could play, we would win a National Title with just their enthusiasm.

Smart fans know it's less about the number of wins than it is about whether the team is increasing its level of play. You can K-State your way to extra wins with all cupcakes in the non-con and look like a smart coach, but if you get wrecked every time you play a ranked opponent, the truth comes out. See: Pelini, Bo.

I can live with 4-5 losses if they can go out there and look like they're not a glorified bye week for OSU, PSU, etc.

I think 10 wins is possible by 2019 season. There will be some learning pains. UCF went 6-4 to start Frost's first season (the four losses were to Michigan, Maryland, Houston and Temple...so not chopped liver). They closed out with 3 losses including the bowl to vaunted Arky St. Which teams get hot at the wrong time, injuries, etc. - play a big role in game outcomes when teams are close. That's why I think 7 wins is most likely next season. Can Frost do better? Maybe - I think a bit of patience and lots of support are a good idea. However if he ever looses to a team under .500 then we can start being critical (Osborne had that happen once - correct?? - to ISU).

Frankly IU am tired of the BS about Neb not having any talent! Depth maybe a problem but we are far from talentless!
Yup. We heard all year (correctly) that we were much more talented than all but 2 opponents, and lost due to coaching.
Frost is a big-time upgrade in that department, and people are acting scared. He will exceed these sad 6 and 7 win predictions that are only being made to drive home the "he needs time" claim.

Next year I look for NU to struggle to win 6-7 games including the bowl game. 2018 however, I expect 8, 9, maybe 10 wins. 2019-20 could be very special seasons.
Bando senior said the same thing. ..u must know something!

I personally am going to be extremely patient with Frost and his staff. Moreso than any other coach since TO. Frost just gets it. He’s a Nebraska guy, with Nebraska guys on his staff. They understand how the culture should be and the mentality and work ethic that should be inherent within the program. I think we can see, especially after this season, just how far away from that hard nosed Nebraska mentality/work ethic we’ve fallen. And the mental part is going to be the hardest part to change. That being said, I think it starts at the top, and previous coaches are a reflection of poor leadership from the Athletic Department. I may be off, but based on some of Frost’s comments, it seems to me that the hire of Bill Moos to AD may have been a bigger hire than Frost as HC. Either way, I think the leadership is FINALLY in place from top to bottom to return NU to a highly successful program. I’m not putting a time frame on 10 wins. I just want to see the program moving forward, getting better day by day. Not in word, but in action. If we’re improving, then 10 wins or more will come. And I’m in for the long haul with Coach Frost, and I believe we have a legend in the making, and I’m going to support him as such.

I'd expect, like most teams, you set barometers. Meet, fall short, evaluate and comeback.
As long as there's marked improvement, game in and game out, I think most would be happy. And the record will reflect that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT