ADVERTISEMENT

When MUST Frost Win 10 Games?

If done by rough numbers every team doesn't have a real good shot, there are a lot of teams out there for one crown. But we know there are teams that do in fact have certain advantages.

All the teams in the SEC only schedule 8 conference games and also schedule a breather game like Akron late in the season. Which is like having a semi bye week.

Some teams are in hot bed recruiting areas such as in S. California, Texas, and Florida.

I think the rub is that it is interpreted that you are implying that Nebraska doesn't have a recruiting hot bed so they are on auto fail. I'm pretty sure that is what you're alluding to.

Do you guys have the same view for Michigan? Outside of 1997 of which Nebraska splits, what about them for the last 30 years? I'm willing to bet you would in your mind give that program more of a chance at a title, and why? Is it success on the field? Can't be. Because Nebraska eclipses them on that over the last 30. Is it recruiting base? Shoot man I think Detroit, and Michigan for that matter is emptying not getting bigger...

I think what it is, is that you've been in the Big 10 doghouse and groomed to worship "The Game". Nebraska fans will not concede to a mentality of defeat because we are not 150 years deep in conference mediocrity.

We recognize the B1G traditions as great and unique in college football. I think it is a fantastic football conference as far as history goes both long, and recent sure.

I think you're going to discover Nebraska and it's fans will not stay down like a good dog and "just be happy with being average".
Thank you. This X 100^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't think anyone is expecting 10 wins next year. I think Husker fans are willing to be very patient with Frost. I think what most of us want to see, even if we don't win 10 games in the first few years, is a return to Nebraska playing very competitive football. In that regard, what will matter when we lose a game, and we will, is HOW we lost. Way too many blowout losses by Pelini/Riley.

Exactly. Win or lose we just don't want to see a fluffy Husker team that gets slapped around on both lines frequently. No more Beaver ball to be sure.

Btw, Bo was Vince Lombardi relative to MR (the human losing machine).

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
He doesn't have too.. It would be nice but first in this order

-Have a winning season
-Win the West Division
-Win the CCG
-Win a New Years 6 Bowl game
- Get in the playoffs after winning CCG.

If this can happen over the years it would be perfectly fine with me..

That sounds on the money to me!

I agree that it is now much tougher to get to the title game, there is no doubt about that. This is true of every team in every conference. Not sure what the point is of digging NU out separately?

Thinking we only had to play Oklahoma to get to a title game is simply inaccurate. I am not sure if that is due to ignorance or intentional. NU did it on the backs of playing multiple top 5, top 10, top 20 schools in most of their runs. In the 90s alone, they averaged 4-5 top 20 teams per year and most of those years half of those were top 5 teams.

At any rate, I am not sure the fascination of the 80s as NU won nothing in that decade although they played for a couple of titles early on. As I've offered elsewhere though, the proof is always in the pudding. In the T.O. years, the big 8 won 9 national titles by 3 different teams and the B1G won 1. NU alone went 22-2 against B1G teams.

One of those 2 losses should thrill you though, it kicked off the Hayden Fry era and was the first win by Iowa against in a top 10 team in like 100 years. Heck, you went on to beat 3 of them that year. See? I can do hyperbole too!

Excellent post sir. I almost threw-up reading posters saying we only played one good team a year when we were in the Big8. Good God, we have some high level rocket scientists here.....that's for sure. :rolleyes:

Reactions: SOHusker11
If done by rough numbers every team doesn't have a real good shot, there are a lot of teams out there for one crown. But we know there are teams that do in fact have certain advantages.

All the teams in the SEC only schedule 8 conference games and also schedule a breather game like Akron late in the season. Which is like having a semi bye week.

Some teams are in hot bed recruiting areas such as in S. California, Texas, and Florida.

I think the rub is that it is interpreted that you are implying that Nebraska doesn't have a recruiting hot bed so they are on auto fail. I'm pretty sure that is what you're alluding to.

Do you guys have the same view for Michigan? Outside of 1997 of which Nebraska splits, what about them for the last 30 years? I'm willing to bet you would in your mind give that program more of a chance at a title, and why? Is it success on the field? Can't be. Because Nebraska eclipses them on that over the last 30. Is it recruiting base? Shoot man I think Detroit, and Michigan for that matter is emptying not getting bigger...

I think what it is, is that you've been in the Big 10 doghouse and groomed to worship "The Game". Nebraska fans will not concede to a mentality of defeat because we are not 150 years deep in conference mediocrity.

We recognize the B1G traditions as great and unique in college football. I think it is a fantastic football conference as far as history goes both long, and recent sure.

I think you're going to discover Nebraska and it's fans will not stay down like a good dog and "just be happy with being average".
Michigan has shown to remain among the top in recruiting. Nebraska has not. I’m not sure a third year head coach is gonna do much better. Atleast not right away. Nebraska hasn’t exactly remained in the spotlight and in kids minds. We will see if Frost changes that. My bet is that he will succeed at Nebraska to a point where 90% of the country would take at their school.

Michigan has shown to remain among the top in recruiting. Nebraska has not. I’m not sure a third year head coach is gonna do much better. Atleast not right away. Nebraska hasn’t exactly remained in the spotlight and in kids minds. We will see if Frost changes that. My bet is that he will succeed at Nebraska to a point where 90% of the country would take at their school.
I’ll be more interested to see if you stop posting your Iowa garbage over here.

Reactions: SOHusker11
So it is recruiting that you base your premise on.

We're just fine there, just need a motivating coach who's hungry.

So it is recruiting that you base your premise on.

We're just fine there, just need a motivating coach who's hungry.
I think the next few years will depend on what talent Frost can keep around. Surely some of these guys that quit won’t like Frost and actual hard work. This recruiting class is obviously pretty key too. Good thing Frost is gonna have a long leash.

I think the next few years will depend on what talent Frost can keep around. Surely some of these guys that quit won’t like Frost and actual hard work. This recruiting class is obviously pretty key too. Good thing Frost is gonna have a long leash.
Riley recruited well and all signs point to Frost recruiting well. Coach up the talent and get the OL and DL figured out and they’ll be fine. Thanks for your concern. It must bother you that no matter how bad Nebraska has been lately, Iowa has faired no better with continuity at HC. BTW, I realize you could never admit that Nebraska and Michigan have been at a minimum equals the past twenty years because that would hurt your “this isn’t the big8/12” argument, but the numbers do not lie. I’ve never understood Iowa fan who denies stats and facts. Are you a “earth is flat” guy?

Excellent post sir. I almost threw-up reading posters saying we only played one good team a year when we were in the Big8. Good God, we have some high level rocket scientists here.....that's for sure. :rolleyes:
Yes- Agreed
Other than Oklahoma, there were plenty of good teams through the years from:
Colorado
Oklahoma State
Missouri
Even K-State and Iowa State had a few good teams as did Kansas- Nolan Cromwell etc

And back in those days NU would often times schedule in non conference:
Alabama
Auburn
Penn State
UCLA
Washington
Florida State
Arizona State- when they were good
Notre Dame

Lots of times in the same year.

NU would play anyone and back then very few ADs would even return their phone calls. Lots of requests back then to Michigan, Texas and Ohio State that went unanswered.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
It is also eye opening to look at the strength of schedule over the last 20 years. Big 8/12 at the end of T.O. and during Solich era were, for the most part top 20 schedules. Callahan years were mainly 30s-50s as the north began waning, with a 4 in there as well. Pelini's years were 40/50 starting out then went back to 20s the first few years in the B1G when we actually had the most success.

Following that, our strength of schedule has been atrocious. The worse as far back as I can tell in NU history. 50/60s for the most part except this year where we are a 7 (and the hardest schedule since Callahan's last year, but not harder). The B1G West has done more to bring us down as a program than anything else because of how truly weak this division of the B1G is. I mean it is pathetic. It shows you just how much our program has really fallen.

I think the original guess of 2020 moving up to this year might be accurate. Although a Bowl win may do the job.

Might as well fire him now. This shit looks like the same junior ass shit as last year. Don’t run the ball when it’s obvious. Leave it up to the shittiest player on the field like always. There is no intent on winning here. He’s gotta go. I feel really bad for the defense. They played their asses off to watch their offense give away the game. Again. **** this

Last edited:
Re-reading this thread I was so excited for Frost to come in here and start cleaning up this team. Disappointed.
I think it was natural to be excited. He took a winless UCF team, and in two years had them undefeated. He was a hot name before UCF, but he needed to prove it on a smaller scale. In 3 years it seemed he was the next guy like an Urban Meyer who started out at a smaller gig before ascending to a large program.

UCF had many built in advantages that most outside their bubble didn't think about. One being a much easier conference. Two being in a talent rich area with a huge alumni base, and exponential growth potential(They have the Orlando market, and the 4th highest enrollment). Number three is they had a recent Fiesta Bowl season in 2012 under O'Leary in just their 16th year in division 1 football.

I actually was excited about the potential of Florida hiring him. We had just come off two of the worst hires in Muschamp, and McElwain. Frost looked to be the target for Stricklin, but Frost was never gonna turn down his dream job. I was upset we got our third choice, but was still looking forward to seeing what Frost could do at a huge program that still carries major cache. Plus it was amusing to see the UCF fans have a blowout.

Four years later, and our hiring of Mullen looks far better then the first two choices (Kelly, and Frost). It's easy to look back and laugh at the mindset, but the excitement was warranted. Don't ever lose that enthusiasm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT