ADVERTISEMENT

When MUST Frost Win 10 Games?

Fans rarely get this right. Many will already start predicting 10 wins after the spring game like that really tells us anything. Then we will hear "we are Nebraska" and should win 10 games every year so yes there is an expectation that is always there. Hopefully more people will learn to keep their guesses to themselves as to the number of wins.

For some reason, no one is worried about the O and think we will get into multiple shoot outs with teams. My goodness, we don't have all of the horses in the barn to run this totally new O just yet. It isn't rocket science to run, there are a limited number of plays in this playbook but it would be nice if we actually had a QB that had run it.

The D will speak for itself and certainly will be challenged this year once again.

I do think there are some good B1G defensive teams that can give the zone read trouble. Teams that are difficult to block up front and have good one one one DB's put pressure on the zone read teams.

So, expect to see a lot of predicting double digit wins on this board but I hope it is not the opinion of the majority of fans on here.

Reactions: LBremser
The real question: If he wins 10 games 12 times in 22 years will he be fired if he never wins a national title? Remember that was the discussion around T.O coming into the 1994 season? Does Scott ever have to win the big one?

Reactions: SWIowahawks
The real question: If he wins 10 games 12 times in 22 years will he be fired if he never wins a national title? Remember that was the discussion around T.O coming into the 1994 season? Does Scott ever have to win the big one?

He doesn't have too.. It would be nice but first in this order

-Have a winning season
-Win the West Division
-Win the CCG
-Win a New Years 6 Bowl game
- Get in the playoffs after winning CCG.

If this can happen over the years it would be perfectly fine with me..

Reactions: TheNewNU
I don't think anyone is expecting 10 wins next year. I think Husker fans are willing to be very patient with Frost. I think what most of us want to see, even if we don't win 10 games in the first few years, is a return to Nebraska playing very competitive football. In that regard, what will matter when we lose a game, and we will, is HOW we lost. Way too many blowout losses by Pelini/Riley.
We need to look well coached. We need to look disciplined. We need to play harder than the other team. Consistently. If we do that and recruit smart, W’s will take care of themselves.

Until Frost finds the right QB and Nebraska fields a half decent defense there is no damn way he wins 10 games. The defense can improve year 1, TBD. However, I doubt the right QB is currently on the roster. 10 is not in the cards for at least another 2 seasons unless he draws a transfer or JUCO QB that works and even then, its unlikely.

Pelini also never did better than 4 losses in a season. His bowl record was 3-4 (1-4 in his last 5 years). He was 9-17 (2-7 his last 3 seasons) against ranked opponents with 2 of those against top 10 teams. He won no conference titles. He was clearly on a downward trajectory.

Point. Set. Match. Failure.

But is still currently employed @ Youngstown St. No offers, no prospects other than life after Nebraska has paid off.

Again proving that winning 10 games at Nebraska can be done with even just-above-average coaching and recruiting. Yes, we've seen the last three years what it looks like with gut-rot turrible coaching, but Frost gives a ton of hope that Nebraska can overcome the last 3 years.

I’ll start by saying I’m impressed with Scott Frost so far. He is gonna be hard to root against. Leading up to our last game, I kept thinking about how it would be nice for that game to actually mean something big.

So when do Nebraska fans expect him to win 10 games? 2018 just isn’t going to happen IMO. The schedule is pretty brutal and the talent is lacking. 2019 seems much more manageable. If Nebraska doesn’t win 10 games in 2019 will he still get a pass because of who he is?

I would think by 2020, fans would get extremely restless if the Huskers didn’t win 10 games. So what are your personal expectations?
Next year I believe anything goes. I would think we can at min get 4 wins. He took 0-12 UCF to 6-6 year one. We have better talent. So although we have a brutal schedule. 4 or 5 wins should be doable.
Year 2 I would think that 5-7 as long as the team is showing progress and growth he will still be in cool waters.
Year 3 will be the bench mark. As it was with Riley. Still don't think anyone will be expecting Championships, even the BIG10 variety. We should be hitting that 7 or 8 win mark and things should be looking up.
Year 4 and 5 is when I think people will start really expecting results 10+ win season. Maybe making an appearance in the BIG10 title.
After year 5 would hope we are consistently in the BIG10 title hunt and NC picture.

I can’t find 5 wins next year.

I can’t find 5 wins for the squakeyes either...

Congrats, you’ve royally kicked our @$$ the past 2 seasons. Enjoy it now. Things will change very quickly in Lincoln. Make no mistake. Frost is probably the top 2-3 hires for a P5 school this offseason. Only Kelly to UCLA was a bigger hire, maybe Mullen to Florida, but I think Frost has an argument for the number 2 overall hire this season and maybe the best long term. If he can do at NU what he did at UCF, then NU is primed to be one of the biggest turn around stories next year, and yes I say that despite our difficult schedule. I expect only 5-6 wins next year, but I certainly would not put it past this coaching staff and team to get to 7-8 wins. That’s just the mentality and work ethic that Frost and Co have.

The whole Iowa fan rant “Nebraska fan expectations” BS is tiresome. Having a coach in his mid forties who can recruit great players to run an innovative offense is making Iowa fan squirm. Getting the D squared away needs to be a priority and it will be handled I’m sure.

Iowa fan loved Riley as they were comfortable with Riley as they have Riley-East in KF. Look at KFs first three years, they were worse than Riley’s. Who knows, MR may have become KF-West and had a 20 year career going 7-5, I for one am glad we are not going to find out.

I appreciate what the Iowa football team is, I just wish their fans appreciated it as well, Iowa is a good team that never quits and occasionally beats the better programs in the B1G. That’s it.

09/01
Akron WIN
Lincoln

-
/
-

09/08
Colorado WIN
Lincoln

-
/
-

09/15
Troy WIN
Lincoln

-
/
-

09/22
Michigan Toss up
Ann Arbor

-
/
-

09/29
Purdue WIN
Lincoln

-
/
-

10/06
Wisconsin Loss
Madison

-
/
-

10/13
Northwestern Toss Up
Evanston

-
/
-

10/20
Minnesota WIN
Lincoln

-
/
-

11/03
Ohio State Loss
Columbus

-
/
-

11/10
Illinois WIN
Lincoln

-
/
-

11/17
Michigan State WIN
Lincoln

-
/
-

11/23
Iowa WIN
Iowa City

There are at least five wins on that list unless you do not want to see them!
Sparty at home should be a toss-up.
Wisky and NW should be wins with Frost coaching our talented kids up.

These are my expectations of Nebraska football. They are high but they aren't what everyone on ESPN thinks they are. I realize it's not 1995 anymore. I will give Frost 4 years to start meeting these expectations. Yes that long. Years 1-4 he gets a pass so long as we are playing hard physical football and competing in most games.
After that:

Win the Division once every 2 years.
Win the Conference Championship once every 4 years
Win a National Title before I die.

Reactions: davecisar
These are my expectations of Nebraska football. They are high but they aren't what everyone on ESPN thinks they are. I realize it's not 1995 anymore. I will give Frost 4 years to start meeting these expectations. Yes that long. Years 1-4 he gets a pass so long as we are playing hard physical football and competing in most games.
After that:

Win the Division once every 2 years.
Win the Conference Championship once every 4 years
Win a National Title before I die.

Lol.... Hell every fan of every team want and dream of the same thing before they DIE.Laughing

Lol.... Hell every fan of every team want and dream of the same thing before they DIE.Laughing
I’m 32 with that dream. I’ve also come to the conclusion that it will never happen. Which sucks because I think the right coach could make a more consistent run at it rather than making a run, and than going 8-5, 7-6.

UCF fan passing through.

Offensively, it all comes down to having a qb capable of running his system. The senior starting qb we had last season was serviceable but not great. He got hurt early on and then Milton stepped in. Milton was MVP of Oregon's camp but was too short for Oregon to offer even though Frost really wanted him. First game trying to run this thing he had six fumbles. It was the start of a long year for him. After an offseason worth of maturity, he's putting up video game numbers. Catch is he's more of a point guard than a normal qb, and Frost is going to want to surround him with small fast guys he can dish to.

Example -- our running back is a 5'8, 175lb receiver that Frost converted to rb. He was Frost's number one target walking in. In high school I think he ran the 100m in 10.3? Somewhere in that territory. Get ready for 3rd and 1 with a 175lb wr standing next to your qb in the shotgun. It's disconcerting.

I'm not familiar enough to know if you have "frost guys" on the team already, but it ought to factor in to your w/l projections. It might be really ugly until he's got his people. The 0-12 team isn't indicative of UCF -- those same kids won the fiesta bowl against baylor -- Frost had reasonable talent. We lost some games we probably would have won if we weren't still learning the ropes (e.g. Milton's six fumbles in a game)

Bad news defensively -- Ya'll ain't fixing it with Coach Chins, regardless of personnel. Just go ahead and plan on winning games via a shootout until Frost's willing to part ways. IMHO, it'll be his first real test as a head coach.

No one knows if this can work in the b1g but we're all going to be watching it closely. Be humble and give him some time.

I did give sh** if we win a game next year. I want to see toughness, physical Neb style football back. Start knocking the sh**out of people. We need to get stronger and I will be happy. Tired of watching 15 yrs of p***y football

UCF fan passing through.

Offensively, it all comes down to having a qb capable of running his system. The senior starting qb we had last season was serviceable but not great. He got hurt early on and then Milton stepped in. Milton was MVP of Oregon's camp but was too short for Oregon to offer even though Frost really wanted him. First game trying to run this thing he had six fumbles. It was the start of a long year for him. After an offseason worth of maturity, he's putting up video game numbers. Catch is he's more of a point guard than a normal qb, and Frost is going to want to surround him with small fast guys he can dish to.

Example -- our running back is a 5'8, 175lb receiver that Frost converted to rb. He was Frost's number one target walking in. In high school I think he ran the 100m in 10.3? Somewhere in that territory. Get ready for 3rd and 1 with a 175lb wr standing next to your qb in the shotgun. It's disconcerting.

I'm not familiar enough to know if you have "frost guys" on the team already, but it ought to factor in to your w/l projections. It might be really ugly until he's got his people. The 0-12 team isn't indicative of UCF -- those same kids won the fiesta bowl against baylor -- Frost had reasonable talent. We lost some games we probably would have won if we weren't still learning the ropes (e.g. Milton's six fumbles in a game)

Bad news defensively -- Ya'll ain't fixing it with Coach Chins, regardless of personnel. Just go ahead and plan on winning games via a shootout until Frost's willing to part ways. IMHO, it'll be his first real test as a head coach.

No one knows if this can work in the b1g but we're all going to be watching it closely. Be humble and give him some time.

I'm concerned about Chins as well because how terrible we have been on defense but we have to give him the benefit of dought till proven other wise...

Fan base understands Frost and staff just can't flip a switch and were national powers again..

Reactions: rulethirty
Wow. Already talking about when we should fire him. NU fans need to change their mind set.

It looked to me like UCF had a better defense than we had. If Nebraska can get to that ball hawking habit like the Knights D had I'll be happy. Hopefully Chins will get better every year.

I expect and think we will win 9 games next year and at least 10 the year after that.

Wow. Already talking about when we should fire him. NU fans need to change their mind set.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I agree with the Hawkeye. You need to re-read the thread, because that’s not at all what this thread is about.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
It looked to me like UCF had a better defense than we had. If Nebraska can get to that ball hawking habit like the Knights D had I'll be happy. Hopefully Chins will get better every year.

It's all relative right? We just hired Randy Shannon and have UF fans telling us how much he sucked at DC when they're ahead of us in just about every category. So, maybe he did suck, but..

Chins also, allegedly, started mailing it in after the Philly meeting. So much so that another coach and he got in to a bit of an argument over him quitting on the kids, which has to have some sort of effect on a bunch of 20 year olds. Double whammy. Those last few games really did make the stats a lot worse.

The general consensus though was he was out of his league at DC here. You just kinda roll with it since he was one of Frost's groomsmen. We'll see how he works out up there. Different personnel, I guess.

I don't care as long as the games we lose aren't embarrassing blowouts. There just is no excuse to giving up 50pts every year to Ohio State.

I don't care as long as the games we lose aren't embarrassing blowouts. There just is no excuse to giving up 50pts every year to Ohio State.
That is what a poor work culture and a low confidence in what a team is doing does. Coaching is so much more than X's and O's. Instilling a work habit and a confidence is every bit as important or possibly more important than knowing the game. In addition as the MAIN team leader the coach has to pick out indiviuals that can be and are true leaders. We have been missing this since Solich's second year when Osborne's young leaders graduated. That is why 1999 was the most successful year going back in time. Yes 2001 was a good record but when someone bit back that year that team folded also!

That is what happens when a team gets punched in the gut and has no leadership. Iowa, Ohio State, Minnesota, type scores is what you get when true leadership is lacking. We can only HOPE Frost instills this back into our culture!

I expect and think we will win 9 games next year and at least 10 the year after that.
I don’t see 5 wins next year, year after that 6 or 7 would be an accomplishment for sure, I could be mistaken but I’m rarely wrong.

I don’t see 5 wins next year, year after that 6 or 7 would be an accomplishment for sure, I could be mistaken but I’m rarely wrong.

And if you are wrong which I think you will be I bet you do not come on here and say you were wrong. It is people like you (not saying you) that internally root for being right over Huskers winning. That is what has divided this great fan base ever since Solich was fired!

And if you are wrong which I think you will be I bet you do not come on here and say you were wrong. It is people like you (not saying you) that internally root for being right over Huskers winning. That is what has divided this great fan base ever since Solich was fired!

Arbitr8 is a Herky fan, don't worry he isn't one of us.

He’s lost again, he’s talking about Iowa football, he doesn’t see 5 wins for Iowa, which is pretty weird considering they have another “fake id” type schedule. BTW, I wouldn’t be surprised if Iowa starts 0-2 next season.

It's all relative right? We just hired Randy Shannon and have UF fans telling us how much he sucked at DC when they're ahead of us in just about every category. So, maybe he did suck, but..

Chins also, allegedly, started mailing it in after the Philly meeting. So much so that another coach and he got in to a bit of an argument over him quitting on the kids, which has to have some sort of effect on a bunch of 20 year olds. Double whammy. Those last few games really did make the stats a lot worse.

The general consensus though was he was out of his league at DC here. You just kinda roll with it since he was one of Frost's groomsmen. We'll see how he works out up there. Different personnel, I guess.
That kind of makes sense actually that he was mailing it in at the end of the year. UCF's defense has played very well at times this year but their last couple games, they were a revolving door. It at least gives an explanation of how bad his defense was besides he's a mediocre coach.

Reactions: rulethirty
I really don't think it is like that. I think fans expect to see the team improve and be competitive. If we still have multiple blowouts and no division titles after 4 or 5 years, things will start to get tense.
Uh, it'll get tense if that happens in just the first year. Your history shows that and I'm not saying that to be a smart arse.

Well I hope he gets out of his funk because Auburn is at bat.

So has UCF decided on whether to allow Frost and Co. to coach the team for the Peach?

Uh, it'll get tense if that happens in just the first year. Your history shows that and I'm not saying that to be a smart arse.
Typical Iowa fan revisionist history. Iowa fan history evidently started in 2002. I’m still waiting for one Iowa fan with an original or insightful opinion.

Reactions: SOHusker11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT