ADVERTISEMENT

What are you going to do with 1000 stimulus big boys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The current proposal is $500 billion, divided into two payments of $250 billion, one on April 6th and one on May 18th.

There are roughly 128 million American households.

When you divide 250 billion by 128 million, you get $1952.13.

They have then said there will be a scale: Depending on your income level, and MAYBE depending on your family size, your payment will be adjusted up or down.

As a single guy making decent money, I will probably see $1000 per payment. A family making less money will probably see $2000. Maybe more.

From what I can tell, those are the only things that will go into it, which is absolutely the right way to go. You don't want to provide any restrictions when you are trying to keep people alive and keep the economy from going into a deep recession or even a depression.

Agreed. I'd just rather do that than just start giving out money to people. Maybe that is the best decision. I don't have enough time in my day to research all of that, it just irritates me because I feel like it gives the opportunity for people to take advantage. I know a lot of business would probably do the same, but I'd just like to find a solution to get help to the people who really need it and then work from there. The people who are not working and already receive a ton of assistance should not get more money in my eyes as they are already making it work on their current amount allotted.

That kind of thinking is flat out dangerous at a time like this. As I mention above, there will be a scale depending on your income and your family size, but that's all. "Take advantage" has nothing to do with trying to keep money moving in the economy and avoid serious long-term economic damage. Your reaction is one of ignorance. And I am not trying to insult you, I am saying, it's a knee-jerk reaction that has no merit.

If you hand everyone money, they will feel better and be able to:

Pay bills.
Pay rent or their mortgage.
Buy groceries.
Buy gas.
Order take-out.
Pay for the medical care they may desperately need.
Even use it to buy a plane ticket once its deemed safe to travel again.

This money they are going to be handing out is meant to keep the wheels of the economy moving. Nobody is "taking advantage" of anything, here. It's an emergency measure. This is an emergency.

Reactions: oldjar07
That kind of thinking is flat out dangerous at a time like this. As I mention above, there will be a scale depending on your income and your family size, but that's all. "Take advantage" has nothing to do with trying to keep money moving in the economy and avoid serious long-term economic damage. Your reaction is one of ignorance. And I am not trying to insult you, I am saying, it's a knee-jerk reaction that has no merit.

If you hand everyone money, they will feel better and be able to:

Pay bills.
Pay rent or their mortgage.
Buy groceries.
Buy gas.
Order take-out.
Pay for the medical care they may desperately need.
Even use it to buy a plane ticket once its deemed safe to travel again.

This money they are going to be handing out is meant to keep the wheels of the economy moving. Nobody is "taking advantage" of anything, here. It's an emergency measure. This is an emergency.
There is nothing dangerous about it. Calm down. I get what you are saying.

Reactions: DudznSudz
I'm not a huge fan of this approach with free money. I have no idea what the answer is, but I'd be more inclined to see how to help the small businesses which will truly be affected. Hopefully there are a lot of people way more educated than me on the topic looking at our best option.
Personally I plan on going and buying a sh##load of gift certificates to a local restaurant that a young guy just bought about 10 months ago. He's getting killed. It's like giving him an unsecured loan. I can hand them out to friends to use once things get opened up again. I figure I'll start with a grand and go from there.

Personally I plan on going and buying a sh##load of gift certificates to a local restaurant that a young guy just bought about 10 months ago. He's getting killed. It's like giving him an unsecured loan. I can hand them out to friends to use once things get opened up again. I figure I'll start with a grand and go from there.
Great! I’ll probably do the same or something similar

It doesn't help his waitresses but most of them have other good jobs and they're just waiting tables for extra disposable income. I think they'll be fine until we get to a resting point in this deal.

I should be clear. I won't qualify for any stimulus money so I'm not advocating that anybody else would have to do something similar. It would be GREAT if those who can afford to would do something to help somebody who is getting hammered though.

Reactions: nwualum
Why do people always have to make everything into a war between the poor and the middle class? I'm in favor of everybody getting the same amount regardless of circumstance, if they're currently on public assistance or not, if they make a high income or not. These are emergency measures and we don't have time to figure out who's "deserving" and who isn't. Heck most of the layoffs as a result of this are yet to happen and Americans are in need of the cash now while businesses are closing down. Sure Congress has decided to tie it to the number of dependents which makes sense and income level, which I disagree with. But I'm not going to cry about it if someone on public assistance ends up getting slightly more than I do.

You could buy a lot of coffee with that.
Futurama8.jpg

shopping

So, how are they assessing income? What if someone had a combined income above the threshold, but now with their places of employment shutting down / reducing work load, they fall below it? Those people need it just as much. Should be about current situation.

I’m not in that bucket, but I’m also in the bucket that wont really get shit anyways.

So, how are they assessing income? What if someone had a combined income above the threshold, but now with their places of employment shutting down / reducing work load, they fall below it? Those people need it just as much. Should be about current situation.

I’m not in that bucket, but I’m also in the bucket that wont really get shit anyways.

It's going to be difficult to separate those people, you bring up a great point. My guess is, if it's like every single other gov't run program, money will go to those who don't need it as much as others, and some who need it the most won't receive it, but at least it will be consistent with everything else our gov't does.

Reactions: WHCSC

That's why I think the income limits should be more generous, or just get rid of them altogether. Sure it will be a little more expensive but hopefully it would take away the dumb argument of who deserves it and who doesn't. It's main purpose is designed to help people and stimulate the economy. In that case no one deserves it... But everyone should get it.

Last edited:
Who is she most excited to shoot?
A few years back my wife requested a handgun for Christmas. I don't think she had ever even shot a gun before. I asked a friend "should I be worried?" I did cancel my life insurance before I bought the .38 for her. :cool:

Reactions: Baxter48
I haven’t got anything yet so I’m not going to worry about spending it
I haven't and won't get anything. Bought my first handful of gift cards from a young restaurant owner tonight and told him if he needed any financial help to call me. I was a partner in another successful food service business in the area a while back and didn't enjoy what went with that. But I told my wife tonight that people who can need to step up for other people in their communities and do what they can.

Reactions: headcard
Know a guy at DE guns. Dude came in last week and bought 4k worth of ammo. He's definitely ready for the zombies now.
I don't have $4,000 worth of ammo but I'm sure I've got 4000 rounds. Yeah, you don't want to come after my toilet paper

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT