ADVERTISEMENT

"Weak / Creampuff" B1G West

You really think Iowa has the same team they had vs Tennessee last season? And why don't you flip it a bit...You really think Tennessee would be undefeated with Iowa's schedule? I sure don't.

I think there would be a strong possibility they would. Lets get real, Iowa would be a bottom feeder in the SEC West and would struggle in the East with Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida

Common opponents;
Illinois
Northwestern
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Purdue
Nebraska = 1-4
Iowa = 5-0
Discuss.
I think people are looking to big into record. The west in general is very weak. Iowa and Nebraska are very very similar in talent level and on paper statistically speaking are very similar. So then why is there such a difference in record? Simple timing and luck(bad luck in Neb case). Nebraska has new coaches, new schemes, plus I think biggest of all, many if not most of the players were die hard bolievers and lets say, weren't "giving it their all" Despite all that managed to keep every single game very close plus pull off the upset of a very good Mich St team.
Iowa has the same coaches pretty well the same scheme and players for the last 3-5 years. They are the result of luck and good timing in a crappy west division. They are not some magical team. They honestly are probably not even a top 15 team. They took an opportunity and ran with it. They play solid football all across the board. Luck for them the west gave no competition at all this year. 2 of the strongest teams (neb and wisc) were going through coaching changes and growing pains.
The Mich St game I was shocked to see Nebraska win. I will be shocked if Neb doesn't win against Iowa. GBR

I think there would be a strong possibility they would. Lets get real, Iowa would be a bottom feeder in the SEC West and would struggle in the East with Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida

I think you need to stop pretending you know anything about football. And this isn't really about Iowa... In fact, i dont want anyone to accuse me of defending Iowa. But you're delusional if you think the SEC East or even half the SEC West would roll the Big Ten this season. That's an old and tiring narrative. Tennessee offensive line would get their QB killed in the Big Ten this season. Georgia is a dumpster fire. Missouri and Florida can't muster the forward pass and can't run the football. Those teams would score about 3 points vs. Iowa or NW or Wisconsin. Mizzou actually went 30 straight possessions this season WITHOUT converting a 3rd down.

Reactions: JHball and hwk23
I think people are looking to big into record. The west in general is very weak. Iowa and Nebraska are very very similar in talent level and on paper statistically speaking are very similar. So then why is there such a difference in record? Simple timing and luck(bad luck in Neb case). Nebraska has new coaches, new schemes, plus I think biggest of all, many if not most of the players were die hard bolievers and lets say, weren't "giving it their all" Despite all that managed to keep every single game very close plus pull off the upset of a very good Mich St team.
Iowa has the same coaches pretty well the same scheme and players for the last 3-5 years. They are the result of luck and good timing in a crappy west division. They are not some magical team. They honestly are probably not even a top 15 team. They took an opportunity and ran with it. They play solid football all across the board. Luck for them the west gave no competition at all this year. 2 of the strongest teams (neb and wisc) were going through coaching changes and growing pains.
The Mich St game I was shocked to see Nebraska win. I will be shocked if Neb doesn't win against Iowa. GBR
Maybe don't fire your 9 win coach then?

Wow...now if THAT is your comeback, you DON'T know football...that guy was long overdue to be jettisoned.

Is Riley the answer? No idea...but Pelini was out of the question...

I think you need to stop pretending you know anything about football. And this isn't really about Iowa... In fact, i dont want anyone to accuse me of defending Iowa. But you're delusional if you think the SEC East or even half the SEC West would roll the Big Ten this season. That's an old and tiring narrative. Tennessee offensive line would get their QB killed in the Big Ten this season. Georgia is a dumpster fire. Missouri and Florida can't muster the forward pass and can't run the football. Those teams would score about 3 points vs. Iowa or NW or Wisconsin. Mizzou actually went 30 straight possessions this season WITHOUT converting a 3rd down.

Tennessee would average 40 a game against the majority of the BIG schools. Hopefully they play one in a bowl and we'll see.....

With Nebraska & Wisconsin in transition years having new coaching staffs, the 2015 version of the Big 10 West is the worst division from all P5s . While Nebraska is playing better than they were in Sept/Oct, they still have plenty of issues that need to be addressed. We will see if they can beat the absolute worst late season Top 5 rated team of all-time.
No it's not. The SEC and the PAC 12 are both BAAAAAD.

UN isn't that far off from having had a 7 or 8 win season (but also not far from a 3 win season either). Wisconsin has a legit D and has been ranked most of the year. Minnesota is finally playing better and their D overall is solid but they were completely decimated by injuries and played a brutal 4 or 5 game conference stretch.

Iowa and NU have proven themselves on the national stage.

So, no. The B1G west is not the "worst diviision of the P5's".

and your last sentence? Hilarious but not unexpected considering the source.

Winning percentage is a byproduct of schedule.
If Team A plays 4 directional schools and goes 4-0, while Team B plays teams with a pulse it stands to reason that Team A will probably end up with a better record. It doesn't mean that A > B or that the conference that A resides in is better than the conference for B.

The SEC East is 2nd to last yet their third place team led Iowa 42-7 going into the fourth quarter in January.
If those teams were to play this year it would be a similar outcome.
Their last place team beat a North Carolina team that is better than anyone in West.
Do you even watch football?

Comparing 2014 Iowa/Tennesse is comical. but yeah, it makes you feel good about making an "argument" to attempt to portray Iowa badly.

Yeah, it would be a "similar outcome". *eyes rolling*

North Carolina would destroy Iowa.

Iowas QB would not stop Tennessee from scoring every possession. If you ain't stopping Mitch Leidner you ain't stopping the Vols. What do you suppose Iowas record would be if they played the Tennessee schedule?

Alabama along with "the team that beat Alabama" would also destroy Iowa.
Arkansas, while inconsistent, would compete for the Big 10 West division this year and would win the majority of the time against Iowa..

Both divisions of the SEC, while down from previous years, are head and shoulders above the Big 10 West. The Big 10 East has a much better argument to stand up against the big boys. Fortunately for Iowa, they played the 2 worst teams in the East to give themselves a false sense of how good they really are.
What do you think UN's schedule would be if they played Iowa's schedule? Oh, wait, you basically did.

You aren't very good at this.

The truly amazing thing is seeing how far people will go to make their point, and that point shows that the person making it is usually an idiot. Case in point. I read that Iowa's best win was against Northwestern, who was beaten by 38 points to a better Michigan team. Did I miss something, or did Iowa pound Northwestern 40-10, winning by 30. Michigan was healthy when they played NW, Iowa had a QB that could do nothing more then hand the ball off. Michigan came inches from losing to Minnesota, Iowa won by 5 but was pretty much in control most of the game. Maybe its just me, but it seems rather childish to keep finding lame reasons of why another team sucks. If someone were to look objectively, how do you conclude that Michigan, Michigan State or Ohio State is better then Iowa, when the only evidence you can gleam is either from head to head match ups, or by comparative scores. All comparative scores indicate that they are all four evenly matched. We'll see Friday.
Please remind me of the halftime score of Iowa v Northwestern...and Michigan v Northwestern?

Please remind me of the halftime score of Iowa v Northwestern...and Michigan v Northwestern?
Not sure what difference it makes, but Iowa 16 NW 10 halftime score..........Michigan 28 NW 0 halftime score
second half scoring had Iowa 24 NW 0.....Michigan 10 NW 0.

Not sure what difference it makes, but Iowa 16 NW 10 halftime score..........Michigan 28 NW 0 halftime score
second half scoring had Iowa 24 NW 0.....Michigan 10 NW 0.
My point is Michigan destroyed NW from the beginning. Called off the dogs.

Do you even watch football?

Comparing 2014 Iowa/Tennesse is comical. but yeah, it makes you feel good about making an "argument" to attempt to portray Iowa badly.

Yeah, it would be a "similar outcome". *eyes rolling*

I have watched Iowa pretend to be an elite football team for a few decades now. Too bad its never come to fruition. I thought it was especially hilarious when regular Big 12 North cellar dweller ISU beat the 2003 Hawkeyes to prevent another undefeated regular season. Much like this year, Iowa played nobody and managed to avoid tOSU which prevented them from facing elite talent until getting raped in the Orange Bowl when they finally did. Ironically, the only loss for USC that year was also a Big 12 North team. The same division that Iowa fans would constantly claim they would own despite having a losing record against their worst team and annual opponent. Of course, sheer, unadulterated delusion is a staple of Hawkeye Nation.
This is one of the reasons why Tennessee is mentioned. It was the last time that Iowa played a team with elite talent and promptly got bitch-slapped. While there are many teams better than Tennessee that would also take Iowa behind the woodshed, I figured Tennessee is still fresh in your memory,
Also, someone posted that Tennessee plays in the worst division in P5 which is absolutely asinine. There is a huge talent gap between Big 10 West teams and SEC East teams. This has played out in the draft and apparently on the football field as Iowa was reminded just earlier this year.

Tennessee would undoubtedly be undefeated if they played Iowa's schedule and Iowa would be scrambling for bowl eligibility if they played Tennessee's.

What do you think UN's schedule would be if they played Iowa's schedule? Oh, wait, you basically did.

You aren't very good at this.

If you are implying that Nebraska is not a very good football team in year one of a coaching transition, I must agree.
As mentioned earlier, Nebraska playing Iowa in what amounts to a pickem game speaks to the fact that Nebraska is not very good this year.

Excuse me if I'm not very good at this as I have very little experience going on opponent message boards looking for validation. Don't need to since there are Sears trophies in Nebraska football complex.

Reactions: leodisflowers
OK..... Whatever.......Did you actually watch both games, because that is the most ignorant thing I think I have read on just about any board...... LOL I guess I did not realize that games were over at halftime.

OK..... Whatever.......Did you actually watch both games, because that is the most ignorant thing I think I have read on just about every board...... LOL I guess I did not realize that games were over at halftime.
BTW, had you watched the Iowa game, you would have seen Iowa had a handicapped QB and ran the ball damn near EVERY down in the second half, so I don't think any dogs could have been called off, unless they just chose to take a knee three times and punt the entire second half.

I have watched Iowa pretend to be an elite football team for a few decades now. Too bad its never come to fruition. I thought it was especially hilarious when regular Big 12 North cellar dweller ISU beat the 2003 Hawkeyes to prevent another undefeated regular season. Much like this year, Iowa played nobody and managed to avoid tOSU which prevented them from facing elite talent until getting raped in the Orange Bowl when they finally did. Ironically, the only loss for USC that year was also a Big 12 North team. The same division that Iowa fans would constantly claim they would own despite having a losing record against their worst team and annual opponent. Of course, sheer, unadulterated delusion is a staple of Hawkeye Nation.
This is one of the reasons why Tennessee is mentioned. It was the last time that Iowa played a team with elite talent and promptly got bitch-slapped. While there are many teams better than Tennessee that would also take Iowa behind the woodshed, I figured Tennessee is still fresh in your memory,
Also, someone posted that Tennessee plays in the worst division in P5 which is absolutely asinine. There is a huge talent gap between Big 10 West teams and SEC East teams. This has played out in the draft and apparently on the football field as Iowa was reminded just earlier this year.

Tennessee would undoubtedly be undefeated if they played Iowa's schedule and Iowa would be scrambling for bowl eligibility if they played Tennessee's.
Way to go. Way to stick up for your own division and your own conference. <sigh>

Reactions: scotthawk1964
OK..... Whatever.......Did you actually watch both games, because that is the most ignorant thing I think I have read on just about any board...... LOL I guess I did not realize that games were over at halftime.
Seriously? Have you never seen a team up big at the half and then lose interest in the second half? It happens all the freaking time!

I didn't watch either game, so I don't know whether this happened or not, but your post is full of ignorance if you think teams maintain intensity from start to finish every game, or even just one game. And for the record, I don't think there's a big difference between calling off the dogs and losing intensity.

And some teams start out slow and have to turn it on. That is why a game is 60 minutes long. Don't you think that is a bit of a stretch as to another reason Iowa isn't any good? Don't feel bad, we have fans on the Iowa board that were ashamed of to.....LOL You must have two mommies. Besides, we know all about losing intensity, how do you think Nebby came back on Iowa last year.

Last edited:
And some teams start out slow and have to turn it on. That is why a game is 60 minutes long. Don't you think that is a bit of a stretch as to another reason Iowa isn't any good? Don't feel bad, we have fans on the Iowa board that were ashamed of to.....LOL You must have two mommies.

I'm not getting into this pissin' match about who is better... Never addressed that in my post at all. Reread it.

I was taking issue with you not recognizing the possibility that Michigan could have easily doubled the score on northwestern if they didn't let up. You act as if this isn't possible.

I'm not saying Iowa didn't start slow either. Again, I didn't watch the game. Just don't be ignorant about how teams up big at the half often have a letdown in the second half. Geez.

Not that Northwestern is that great to begin with but Michigan so thoroughly battered Northwestern physically and mentally that whomever Northwestern played the following week was going to have a much easier time. In essence, Michigan beat them twice.
Its kind of like loosening a tightly sealed jar for your wife. Once you hear the pop. you give it back to her. The main difference is that she doesn't start chest thumping about how great she is after opening the jar nor is it her best accomplishment of the year.

You may want to talk to Pat Fitzgerald and rewatch the game. The momentum of the kick return was a key to Michigan's success, but sadly, they had a great run of games only to lose at home against rival MSU.

They have had a great season, but both Iowa and Nebraska would give Michigan a good game, based on the head to head @ Minnesota.

Any given day ...

peace

You may want to talk to Pat Fitzgerald and rewatch the game. The momentum of the kick return was a key to Michigan's success, but sadly, they had a great run of games only to lose at home against rival MSU.

They have had a great season, but both Iowa and Nebraska would give Michigan a good game, based on the head to head @ Minnesota.

Any given day ...

peace
Momentum of kickoff? First play of the game dude...a mismatch from the jump.

Momentum of kickoff? First play of the game dude...a mismatch from the jump.

Michigan has a good team now that they have Iowa's 2nd string QB. Seriously, they are a fluke play away from a possible playoff spot. Finally found a way to win with a 4 star athlete at every position.

• Nebraska does not have new coaches. They have a very old, experienced head coach and experienced staff. And our very old, experienced head coach personally lost at least 1 game, not because of bad luck, but because he chose not not to run out the clock. I'm not sure how making such an elementary error in judgment warrants millions in annual income. Jmho.

Not even close, the Big Ten West beat Stanford, probably the best non-conference win in college football and cross division MSU. Also, has wins against Pitt and Duke and held TCU to lowest point total of year in a loss.
Iowa's signature win is Northwestern over Stanford and you wonder why the point spread is one or two?

OP Troll, the only subject-title-pertinent thing to "discuss" is the fact that the "weak" B1G West is 7-6 vs the mighty East, and both Nebraska and Iowa are 2-0 vs the East. Good luck to Nebraska, and here's to a well played, injury-free game!

What would that make Nebraska then, who is a bottom feeder in the BIG west, while Iowa has went through it undefeated?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT