ADVERTISEMENT

"Weak / Creampuff" B1G West

With Nebraska & Wisconsin in transition years having new coaching staffs, the 2015 version of the Big 10 West is the worst division from all P5s . While Nebraska is playing better than they were in Sept/Oct, they still have plenty of issues that need to be addressed. We will see if they can beat the absolute worst late season Top 5 rated team of all-time.

Reactions: huskerssalts
This is were us Huskers and Hawkeye fans need to be on the same page, basically the West is usually a battle between Wisconsin, Nebraska and Iowa. We have to start getting the recruits and contestant play from our west teams. I know after we beat Iowa Friday, i will be a Iowa fan come Big 10 champ game. I do hope Iowa beats MSU? Bring the title to the west and we can start pulling in some respect. I do see Iowa having trouble beating MSU though, i just don't think they have the horses on the team to keep up with Sparty, but ill be rooting for them (God it kills me to even say that).

Common opponents;
Illinois
Northwestern
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Purdue
Nebraska = 1-4
Iowa = 5-0
Discuss.
Iowa and Nebraska have played putrid schedules. Yikes!

Good luck Friday. Bring your best shot.

Last edited:
Iowa will find out FRIDAY this is a whole different Husker team, bad luck for them, they get a healthy, confident and jelling Husker team. Now Huskers, Iowa Hawkeyes will find out soon enough. And ill love it, i just wonder if any of these Hawkeye fans will be here Saturday or so on...or come on here posting crap like it was the refs, its was this and or was that, the reason they lost. Trust me, it will sink in Saturday morning, they just got slammed back to Iowa by a 6-6 team they thought shouldn't have been on the same field as them.

Reactions: CaptainZigZag
With Nebraska & Wisconsin in transition years having new coaching staffs, the 2015 version of the Big 10 West is the worst division from all P5s . While Nebraska is playing better than they were in Sept/Oct, they still have plenty of issues that need to be addressed. We will see if they can beat the absolute worst late season Top 5 rated team of all-time.

UNC beat Illinois
Iowa beat Pitt
Northwestern beat Duke

The B1G West leads the B1G East right now record wise.

Ohio State doesn't look stellar, but they did win @ VA Tech.

peace

Reactions: icu81222
Common opponents;
Illinois
Northwestern
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Purdue
Nebraska = 1-4
Iowa = 5-0
Discuss.
Not making excuses because the game will eliminate the debates, but Neb. had a cancer that had to be eliminated (Pelini) who made the players believe that the fanbase, media, and administration were against them. We had an entirely new coaching staff, new offensive and defensive schemes. Not everybody "bought in" right away, and it took our coaching staff as long to figure out our strengths and weaknesses as it did our players the new schemes. Add to that fact we had tons of injuries (20 different starters on offense, and 20 on defense), and 4 last minute defeats that took the wind out of our sails, and you can start to understand what was going on with the Huskers this yr.

Not even close, the Big Ten West beat Stanford, probably the best non-conference win in college football and cross division MSU. Also, has wins against Pitt and Duke and held TCU to lowest point total of year in a loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: cidsports
These are the stats, nothing more. They might not mean anything whatsoever...

Power 5 Win/Loss Stats

Conference Division records
SEC West 53-23 69.7%
B1G East 47-30 61%
B1G West 45-32 58.4%
PAC 12 North 38-28 57.6%
Big XII 61-45 57.5%
PAC 12 South 39-29 57%
ACC Coastal 43-34 55.8%
SEC East 42-35 54.5%
ACC Atlantic 42-35 54.5%

Overall conference records
SEC 95-58 62.1%
B1G 92-62 59.7%
Big XII 61-45 57.5%
Pac 12 77-57 57.5%
ACC 85-69 55.2%

(Misleading?) Conclusions based off W-L records:
Best conference: SEC
Worst conference: ACC
Best Division: SEC West
Worst Division: SEC East & ACC Atlantic

The B1G West has the 3rd best winning % of all conference divisions.

These are the stats, nothing more. They might not mean anything whatsoever...

Power 5 Win/Loss Stats

Conference Division records
SEC West 53-23 69.7%
B1G East 47-30 61%
B1G West 45-32 58.4%
PAC 12 North 38-28 57.6%
Big XII 61-45 57.5%
PAC 12 South 39-29 57%
ACC Coastal 43-34 55.8%
SEC East 42-35 54.5%
ACC Atlantic 42-35 54.5%

Overall conference records
SEC 95-58 62.1%
B1G 92-62 59.7%
Big XII 61-45 57.5%
Pac 12 77-57 57.5%
ACC 85-69 55.2%

(Misleading?) Conclusions based off W-L records:
Best conference: SEC
Worst conference: ACC
Best Division: SEC West
Worst Division: SEC East & ACC Atlantic

The B1G West has the 3rd best winning % of all conference divisions.

Yes, this is a bit misleading. The Big Ten schedules many more power 5 non-conference games than the SEC. The SEC averages less than 1 power 5 non-conference game per team and still only has 8 conference games so that leaves 3 non-conference non-power 5 creampuffs per team.

btw, It will be a mistake for the Big Ten to go to 9 conference games, imo. 7 more automatic conference losses and an even tougher schedule relative to the SEC in terms of more power 5 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: icu81222
Winning percentage is a byproduct of schedule.
If Team A plays 4 directional schools and goes 4-0, while Team B plays teams with a pulse it stands to reason that Team A will probably end up with a better record. It doesn't mean that A > B or that the conference that A resides in is better than the conference for B.

The SEC East is 2nd to last yet their third place team led Iowa 42-7 going into the fourth quarter in January.
If those teams were to play this year it would be a similar outcome.
Their last place team beat a North Carolina team that is better than anyone in West.

Winning percentage is a byproduct of schedule.
If Team A plays 4 directional schools and goes 4-0, while Team B plays teams with a pulse it stands to reason that Team A will probably end up with a better record. It doesn't mean that A > B or that the conference that A resides in is better than the conference for B.

The SEC East is 2nd to last yet their third place team led Iowa 42-7 going into the fourth quarter in January.
If those teams were to play this year it would be a similar outcome.
Their last place team beat a North Carolina team that is better than anyone in West.

That same team lost to Citadel. Florida almost lost to Florida Atlantic. The team that beat Alabama lost to Memphis. Arkansas lost to Toledo. The SEC is not that good this year. Iowa has a different QB and is a much different team than last year.

North Carolina would destroy Iowa.

Iowas QB would not stop Tennessee from scoring every possession. If you ain't stopping Mitch Leidner you ain't stopping the Vols. What do you suppose Iowas record would be if they played the Tennessee schedule?

Alabama along with "the team that beat Alabama" would also destroy Iowa.
Arkansas, while inconsistent, would compete for the Big 10 West division this year and would win the majority of the time against Iowa..

Both divisions of the SEC, while down from previous years, are head and shoulders above the Big 10 West. The Big 10 East has a much better argument to stand up against the big boys. Fortunately for Iowa, they played the 2 worst teams in the East to give themselves a false sense of how good they really are.

Reactions: MVLisHawk
I just have to say that I love the fact that Nebraska fans think so low of Iowa's team, especially when you look at on field perfomances by both teams. Yes, Nebraska is getting healthy, Iowa is getting healthier then it has been since before they played Northwestern. Both teams had injuries, Iowa overcame theirs, apparently Nebraska did not. Besides the loss of Drew Ott, which took much of the Hawks pass rush away, the injuries have helped develop depth. I have seen all the Iowa games, and only watched the Miami game for Nebraska, so other then that, I have only seen highlights. I would guess by reading Nebraska fans posts, they have seen about as much of Iowa. I think after Friday, the honest ones will change there tune, the fickle ones, will find another excuse for why the Herks won. Here is my honest game prediction. If Iowa plays Iowa's game, the Hawkeyes win, period. Both teams have something to play for, so I don't see either team being flat. But I don't see Nebraska stopping both Iowa's running and passing game, and Iowa is pretty good at both. Nebraska can beat Iowa, that's why they play the game. Iowa did beat Nebraska back in 1981 when Iowa was big underdogs. But I think this is Iowa's year.

I just have to say that I love the fact that Nebraska fans think so low of Iowa's team, especially when you look at on field perfomances by both teams. Yes, Nebraska is getting healthy, Iowa is getting healthier then it has been since before they played Northwestern. Both teams had injuries, Iowa overcame theirs, apparently Nebraska did not. Besides the loss of Drew Ott, which took much of the Hawks pass rush away, the injuries have helped develop depth. I have seen all the Iowa games, and only watched the Miami game for Nebraska, so other then that, I have only seen highlights. I would guess by reading Nebraska fans posts, they have seen about as much of Iowa. I think after Friday, the honest ones will change there tune, the fickle ones, will find another excuse for why the Herks won. Here is my honest game prediction. If Iowa plays Iowa's game, the Hawkeyes win, period. Both teams have something to play for, so I don't see either team being flat. But I don't see Nebraska stopping both Iowa's running and passing game, and Iowa is pretty good at both. Nebraska can beat Iowa, that's why they play the game. Iowa did beat Nebraska back in 1981 when Iowa was big underdogs. But I think this is Iowa's year.
I don't think it's that cut and dried. If Tommy plays well, Nebraska wins. If he doesn't, Iowa wins. Nebraska just put 39 on MSU, despite turning the ball over twice in scoring position, they can move the ball on Iowa. Nebraska's Defensive strength is run stopping, not too worried about the Hawkeye run game (in fact, hoping they try to pound it on NU), more worried about Beathard to the TE's and his scrambles. Should be a very fun game.

Iowas QB would not stop Tennessee from scoring every possession. If you ain't stopping Mitch Leidner you ain't stopping the Vols. What do you suppose Iowas record would be if they played the Tennessee schedule?

Arkansas, while inconsistent, would compete for the Big 10 West division this year and would win the majority of the time against Iowa..

Both divisions of the SEC, while down from previous years, are head and shoulders above the Big 10 West. The Big 10 East has a much better argument to stand up against the big boys. Fortunately for Iowa, they played the 2 worst teams in the East to give themselves a false sense of how good they really are.
Wtf does last year's bowl game have to do with the 2015 season?

You do know "the team that beat Alabama" lost to Memphis? You are just spouting a lot of crap hoping something sticks to the wall. The big bad SEC West plays virtually nobody out of conference and yet lost to teams like Memphis, Toledo, and Texas Tech. Their best OOC win is Wisconsin. I would argue Alabama has to prove they belong in the playoffs with how bad their division has looked this year.

Right now both Iowa and Alabama has exactly 1 win over a currently ranked team in the AP or Coaches poll. Iowa's win is against a higher ranked team. They each have a win over Wisconsin. I'm not seeing anything that makes the SEC west look so great.

Common opponents;
Illinois 5-6 both teams struggled and could have went either way
Northwestern 9-2 close NEB, blowout IA
Minnesota 5-6 Close IA, Blowout NEB
Wisconsin 8-3 both teams struggled
Purdue 2-9 close NEB, blowout IA
Indiana 5-6 both struggled
Nebraska = 1-4
Iowa = 5-0
Discuss.

So please tell me what exactly you are wanting to discuss besides Iowa (in the best season in the history of their program) is NOT head and shoulders above NEBRASKA (In one of the worst seasons in its history). I would almost be offended if Nebraska was 11-0 and favored by less than a field goal against a sub .500 team. Obviously I would be happy to be 11-0, but I sure as hell wouldn't be talking crap to a sub .500 team.

Looking at the B1G schedule this year, Iowa, Nebraska and Wisky are the teams that will normally compete for the West crown. But when they set the league schedule, Nebraska plays 1 of the big 3 (Mich, MSU, OSU) from the East. Wisconsin nor Iowa played any of the top 3. That does no good for the conference. All it does it makes the conference look soft. You want to be the best, you play the best and the Each of the big 3 from the West needs to play at least 1 of the big 3 from the East or we will always hear this "soft schedule" bull crap.

Good response in every way... Plus we all know Ferentz will be at USC next year.....

Hahahaha!!!

Wtf does last year's bowl game have to do with the 2015 season?

It was the last time Iowa faced a team from the lowly SEC East. It was also not very long ago (10 months). Iowa was taken behind the woodshed by essentially the same players on both teams. If you saw Mitch Leidner light up Iowa's defense, what do you suppose Tennessee would do (again)?

Still am awaiting to hear from Iowa fans on what they think their record would be if they played Tennessee's schedule this year?

Iowa is fortunate that they avoided the 3 best teams in the East. Their best win, Northwestern, lost 38-0 to a better team than Iowa. This is not a playoff caliber team and will make the Big 10 look bad if invited to either the playoff or a major bowl.

Not making excuses because the game will eliminate the debates, but Neb. had a cancer that had to be eliminated (Pelini) who made the players believe that the fanbase, media, and administration were against them. We had an entirely new coaching staff, new offensive and defensive schemes. Not everybody "bought in" right away, and it took our coaching staff as long to figure out our strengths and weaknesses as it did our players the new schemes. Add to that fact we had tons of injuries (20 different starters on offense, and 20 on defense), and 4 last minute defeats that took the wind out of our sails, and you can start to understand what was going on with the Huskers this yr.

Please...no more of this.

If Iowa wins out they deserve major accolades from everyone. As of today, I tip my hat to them for being undefeated. The banter back and forth is beneath both programs.

It was the last time Iowa faced a team from the lowly SEC East. It was also not very long ago (10 months). Iowa was taken behind the woodshed by essentially the same players on both teams. If you saw Mitch Leidner light up Iowa's defense, what do you suppose Tennessee would do (again)?

Still am awaiting to hear from Iowa fans on what they think their record would be if they played Tennessee's schedule this year?

Iowa is fortunate that they avoided the 3 best teams in the East. Their best win, Northwestern, lost 38-0 to a better team than Iowa. This is not a playoff caliber team and will make the Big 10 look bad if invited to either the playoff or a major bowl.
You really think Iowa has the same team they had vs Tennessee last season? And why don't you flip it a bit...You really think Tennessee would be undefeated with Iowa's schedule? I sure don't.

We're 5-6 and that's all people want to focus on. Riley pulled off a great coaching job just by not letting the program explode.

Good comparisons. I see where you are going.
Michigan pounded Northwestern
MSU beat Michigan
Nebraska beat MSU who beat OSU who was National Champs just 10 months ago. Nebraska=National Champs this year.

You really think Iowa has the same team they had vs Tennessee last season? And why don't you flip it a bit...You really think Tennessee would be undefeated with Iowa's schedule? I sure don't.

There are quite a few teams that would be undefeated playing Iowa's schedule including uunranked Tennessee.

Good comparisons. I see where you are going.
Michigan pounded Northwestern
MSU beat Michigan
Nebraska beat MSU who beat OSU who was National Champs just 10 months ago. Nebraska=National Champs this year.

No, this is not a good Nebraska team. In fact, Nebraska is so down this year that I would put the Hawkeye chances for victory at 50%.

Not sure why you jumped to such a conclusion? Are you always such a drama queen?

Now I remember why I started hating Iowa and rejoicing in their every sadness. No other fanbase puts NEARLY the time and effort into coming over here and being annoying as shit. Did it before we were even in the same conference.

No, this is not a good Nebraska team. In fact, Nebraska is so down this year that I would put the Hawkeye chances for victory at 50%.

Not sure why you jumped to such a conclusion? Are you always such a drama queen?
I was following your examples. So and so team beat that team so they are better and that team beat Iowa 10 months ago so that is relevant now etc...

The truly amazing thing is seeing how far people will go to make their point, and that point shows that the person making it is usually an idiot. Case in point. I read that Iowa's best win was against Northwestern, who was beaten by 38 points to a better Michigan team. Did I miss something, or did Iowa pound Northwestern 40-10, winning by 30. Michigan was healthy when they played NW, Iowa had a QB that could do nothing more then hand the ball off. Michigan came inches from losing to Minnesota, Iowa won by 5 but was pretty much in control most of the game. Maybe its just me, but it seems rather childish to keep finding lame reasons of why another team sucks. If someone were to look objectively, how do you conclude that Michigan, Michigan State or Ohio State is better then Iowa, when the only evidence you can gleam is either from head to head match ups, or by comparative scores. All comparative scores indicate that they are all four evenly matched. We'll see Friday.

The truly amazing thing is seeing how far people will go to make their point, and that point shows that the person making it is usually an idiot. Case in point. I read that Iowa's best win was against Northwestern, who was beaten by 38 points to a better Michigan team. Did I miss something, or did Iowa pound Northwestern 40-10, winning by 30. Michigan was healthy when they played NW, Iowa had a QB that could do nothing more then hand the ball off. Michigan came inches from losing to Minnesota, Iowa won by 5 but was pretty much in control most of the game. Maybe its just me, but it seems rather childish to keep finding lame reasons of why another team sucks. If someone were to look objectively, how do you conclude that Michigan, Michigan State or Ohio State is better then Iowa, when the only evidence you can gleam is either from head to head match ups, or by comparative scores. All comparative scores indicate that they are all four evenly matched. We'll see Friday.
Even then, comparative scores, more often than not, are a crapshoot. It's also how teams match up against each other.

Trying to be objective here... Iowa is a very good team. You don't go undefeated unless you are good. They have some good wins (Northwestern was a very good win), but some close calls with Wisconsin and I believe Minnesota (If Minnesota could have gotten just one stop on Defense, that was the difference). I know Iowa was up the entire game against Minnesota but you could never put them away. To me it remained a close game all night. But it's hard for me to say that Iowa is equal to Michigan State or Ohio State... Maybe Michigan, but those other two have sustained great teams for several years now. Realistically, Iowa will have to prove it to me on the CCG. They very well could do it, and I will respect you guys even more...

No disrespect intended. If you beat Michigan State I will gladly put you in their category (or better, if you beat them).

Iowa is not a team that is going to be great every year. 2 and 3 star recruits take time to develope, but I would agree that Michigan State has been better for a longer time frame then Iowa. Iowa usually has one or two great seasons, followed by a couple mediocre seasons, then they are up again. Maybe with this seasons success, and that most of their good players will be back so they should have a good season next year, along with new facilities hopefully will get more 4 star recruits. Until then, they will continue to be good every 3 or 4 years. I think I saw that Iowa only has 8 four star recruits on the team, compared to like, 54 on Ohio State. I can't remember the exact number, but that is the difference between reloading and rebuilding every couple years.

Reactions: timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT