ADVERTISEMENT

We won … haven’t beat them the last 3 years

RBigredMax

Senior
Mar 23, 2023
Unbelievable how much time we spent within their 30 and to only have 20 points is beyond concerning.

Our D though!!!!! Stepping up on the goal line stand early and then throughout.

We beat a team we haven’t been able to the last 3 years while playing disgustingly bad on O. I’ll take it. A lot to clean up over the bye week. GBR!!!

Fans are going to complain, but Nebraska led the entire game. The defense played tough, with Illinois' only score coming on a great one-handed catch. The offense took a step backward, but they have some extra practice time to work on it.

Fans are going to complain, but Nebraska led the entire game. The defense played tough, with Illinois' only score coming on a great one-handed catch. The offense took a step backward, but they have some extra practice time to work on it.
Not to mention, O pass interference....and a massive hold within that play. Defense was lights out.

Unbelievable how much time we spent within their 30 and to only have 20 points is beyond concerning.

We beat a team we haven’t been able to the last 3 years while playing disgustingly bad on O. I’ll take it. A lot to clean up over the bye week. GBR!!!
This looks like 2009. Awesome defense and dreadful offense.

Needed a win going into the bye. Another loss going into the bye could have tanked the season for some of the kids mentally.

Defense has serious promise. Offense is so rough. Turnovers. Penalties. Using time outs.

HH plays hard, glad he’s getting a bye to heal up. He looks a little beat up. This performance and the bye will be interesting to see if Simms can get back into the starting lineup. HH does well with his legs, but he struggles as a passer (obviously the same goes for Simms). We really need new blood in the QB room next year.

Finally, it’s great to beat Bert.

UIL got one series of scripted plays plus one great catch on a covered ball and that was it. D took a punch and then bowed up for the rest of the game.
Emmitt Johnson showed me something.
Haarberg is beginning to show the mileage.
Offense is a long ways from consistently driving the ball. Skill offensive players are a MASH unit.

The scoreboard was NU-20/Ill 7.

UIL got one series of scripted plays plus one great catch on a covered ball and that was it. D took a punch and then bowed up for the rest of the game.
Emmitt Johnson showed me something.
Haarberg is beginning to show the mileage.
Offense is a long ways from consistently driving the ball. Skill offensive players are a MASH unit.

The scoreboard was NU-20/Ill 7.
^^^facts. Hated to see Washington go down, doesn’t look good. Will need Coleman to make an impact. EJ and AG have to figure out how to protect the rock.

Needed a win going into the bye. Another loss going into the bye could have tanked the season for some of the kids mentally.

Defense has serious promise. Offense is so rough. Turnovers. Penalties. Using time outs.

HH plays hard, glad he’s getting a bye to heal up. He looks a little beat up. This performance and the bye will be interesting to see if Simms can get back into the starting lineup. HH does well with his legs, but he struggles as a passer (obviously the same goes for Simms). We really need new blood in the QB room next year.

Finally, it’s great to beat Bert.
HH has to correct that sidearm. I've read that the coaches don't have a problem with it but there are throws where he's gonna need an arc.

Beyond so proud of Malachi Coleman tonight!!!

This former Spartan to another former Spartan:
War Fight GIF by Narcissistic Abuse Rehab

Keep the faith my man!! You've got it all!

Last edited:

We sure tried our best on offense to lose the game. A crazy amount of penalties and turnovers. We'll take the win but that game should've been more like a 45-7 victory. I just can't believe how we still can make so many mistakes and especially the offensive line. I think we're once again leading the country in fumbles too!

Reactions: Mack In Motion
This was the ugly kind of game we would have lost the last couple of years. Maybe a corner has been turned?
Yep. The last few seasons, the defense would have folded in the 4th like a lawn chair under Lizzo.

Since I've seen that movie 20 times over the last few years, was waiting for the same ending.

And, man, did the offense follow the script to a "T". Penalties, whiffed blocks, turnovers, confusion.....all the elements of losing football were perfectly in place.

Was waiting for the defense to have a similar combination of blown coverage, late hit out of bounds, three missed tackles on a swing pass, targeting, roughing the passer after stopping them on third and 4. The hallmarks of Frost ball.

But instead -- leadership. Unit got stingier as the game went on. Our DC outcoaching their OC (baited them into completions short of the sticks late to keep the clock moving). There seemed to be zero space for their skill guys to operate in. Open field tackling SO much improved.

This defense is fun to watch. There's hope.

Last edited:
Winning sure as hell cures a lot of ills.

We aren't a pretty team, and we have a lot of weaknesses, but I like what is going on.

Satterfield takes a lot of heat as our OC, but it isn't easy calling plays and creating offense for this team. We grinded out 312 yards of offense while running the ball 49 times vs 24 pass attempts. That is a pretty solid 2 to 1 combination, and a recipe for winning for us the rest of this year.

Meanwhile, the Great Pumpkin in Fat Bielema was chucking it around 47 times and was held to 21 yards rushing.

We can win a good amount of games like that with our remaining schedule. Looking back to Minnesota and Colorado, and this team is getting better, and we are finding our identity.

Win is a win. But the playcalling at the end of the first half was beyond concerning. Do Rhule and Satterfield not know what kind of team we are? Are we really the kind of team that is worth trying to push the ball down the field with a minute and a half left when we get the ball to start the 2nd half? To try and get our young, inconsistent fg kicker a long attempt for Illinois to try and block? Zero common sense.

Win is a win. But the playcalling at the end of the first half was beyond concerning. Do Rhule and Satterfield not know what kind of team we are? Are we really the kind of team that is worth trying to push the ball down the field with a minute and a half left when we get the ball to start the 2nd half? To try and get our young, inconsistent fg kicker a long attempt for Illinois to try and block? Zero common sense.
I disagree somewhat. With 90 seconds left there’s still enough time to try to get points. It’s easy to say we should have killed clock, but I’m pretty sure if we would have run dives into the line, people would have been all over the coaching for not even trying for another score.

Truly a damned if you do, damned if you don’t circumstance. Nothing the coaches could have done would have been satisfactory, except score. That would have been acceptable. And that’s what they tried to do. In my opinion.

I disagree somewhat. With 90 seconds left there’s still enough time to try to get points. It’s easy to say we should have killed clock, but I’m pretty sure if we would have run dives into the line, people would have been all over the coaching for not even trying for another score.

Truly a damned if you do, damned if you don’t circumstance. Nothing the coaches could have done would have been satisfactory, except score. That would have been acceptable. And that’s what they tried to do. In my opinion.

Fully agree. We had them on their heels looking to make a big statement before half.

QB wasn't near good enough, and we escaped to half.

Play to win or don't play at all.

People would be demanding Rhule's head on a pike if he didn't try.

Reactions: timnsun

Well said.

Reactions: timnsun

100% disagree. Terrible line. Depleted receiving corp. Young, inconsistent fg kicker. Defense playing lights out. Ball to start 2nd half. And a qb who is far from polished as a passer.

Easy choice. Don't get greedy.

Reactions: huskercabby
100% disagree. Terrible line. Depleted receiving corp. Young, inconsistent fg kicker. Defense playing lights out. Ball to start 2nd half. And a qb who is far from polished as a passer.

Easy choice. Don't get greedy.
Agree to disagree. You certainly make strong points, but I will always be a fan of trying to get more points whenever we can. Which is the very definition of greedy, I know…

Reactions: arf_man
I didn't mind the aggressive stance at the end of the first half but after HH nearly threw a pick on first down most coaches would shut it down. After nearly throwing a pick on second down, all coaches would shut it down, except one apparently.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Agree to disagree. You certainly make strong points, but I will always be a fan of trying to get more points whenever we can. Which is the very definition of greedy, I know…
I just look at the risk vs. the reward and the reward wasn't high enough. 1 in a million chance we drive and score a touchdown in those circumstances. And I hope Rhule/Satterfield didn't honestly think they could. So they risked all that for our inexperienced fg kicker to try a fg? At the risk of an interception or even a pick six? Makes zero sense. That's not who we are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT