ADVERTISEMENT

We told you.

driver350

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 21, 2001
You are seeing the same crap we had to deal with.
Pass happy
Horrible game management.
Never ending stupid penalties.
Zero emotion out of players.
Langs and Banker could not get coordinator jobs at any other D1 school.

Cant believe Nebraska took this garbage off our hands.

Thank You Big Red, soon to be Soft Red with Riley

I think you are forgetting that Oregon State is a crappy job, and always will be. If you are expecting championships you will be calling for your current coach's head in a matter of years. Riley may very well fail here but he made your program far better than what it was when he took over. You are not USC, you are Oregon State.

Reactions: 94husker
I think you are forgetting that Oregon State is a crappy job, and always will be. If you are expecting championships you will be calling for your current coach's head in a matter of years. Riley may very well fail here but he made your program far better than what it was when he took over. You are not USC, you are Oregon State.

OSU has played in a bcs game more recently than us...and it was coincidentally when MR was not the head coach.

Reactions: elvis1403
OSU has played in a bcs game more recently than us...and it was coincidentally when MR was not the head coach.

And? The consensus is the Oregon State job is arguably the worst job in the Pac 12....I'd love to see you argue that. That's not going to change, and if their expectations is to be something more than a 9 win program every once in awhile they are going to be disappointed like the OP. And not coincidentally that BCS team had quite a few Riley recruits on the two deep.

Pass happy

We're not supposed to talk about this. Best if you run along.

Dennis Erickson did have success at Oregon State and Erickson brought in guys like Chad Johnson, TJ Housemanzadeh, and DeLawrence Grant. Now Mike Riley did recruit Ken Simonton.

Pass happy

I can see why you have received only 1 like.

And? The consensus is the Oregon State job is arguably the worst job in the Pac 12....I'd love to see you argue that. That's not going to change, and if their expectations is to be something more than a 9 win program every once in awhile they are going to be disappointed like the OP. And not coincidentally that BCS team had quite a few Riley recruits on the two deep.

Im not saying it isnt considered that now, im just saying its hard to dog a program that has had that success (even if only a couple years) when we havent. Also, the recruits still have to be coached up and MR didnt do a great job of that. In fact one of MRs best years was the year or 2nd year (when he went 8-5) he was back for his 2nd stint with Ericksons recruits so it goes both ways.

Im not saying it isnt considered that now, im just saying its hard to dog a program that has had that success (even if only a couple years) when we havent. Also, the recruits still have to be coached up and MR didnt do a great job of that. In fact one of MRs best years was the year or 2nd year (when he went 8-5) he was back for his 2nd stint with Ericksons recruits so it goes both ways.

Did he have enough time the first go around to "coach them up?" He was there for two years before taking the Chargers job...he won 5 games his second year and won the Civil War and that was considered a successful year at a school that hadn't won 5 games since 1971.

Reactions: SDhusker12
Did he have enough time the first go around to "coach them up?" He was there for two years before taking the Chargers job...he won 5 games his second year and won the Civil War and that was considered a successful year at a school that hadn't won 5 games since 1971.

Good point. Good point. You can also say since he was only there two years he reaped the benefits of the previous coaches recruits. Or you can say he coached up not so great talent. Perspective is what it depends on. I agree with your last post, though.

Riley won't be here too long if he can't get above .500 in his tenure. I think he knew that too - this was a way for one last shot at some success and a nice pay day for him and his buddy assistants. If it does not work out - I don't sense Riley is going to loose too much sleep over it. Which might be the root of some of the problems now - there was alot of "seeded" issues from the prior staff and we have not done a good job of addressing those. Game management is on the current coaches......and we all it agree it has sucked badly.

I've lurked on this board on and off since Riley took the job, just to see how the fans would react once the season started... The reactions are as I expected, but much sooner than anticipated.

I'm not going to argue with you and try to compare the OSU job to the rest of the PAC12... It's obvious to all OSU fans that we have many disadvantages compared to the rest of the conference. We're in a small media market, the University is located in a city of only 55k, and we do not have a billionaire owner like the school to the south. We get it... we're not USC, we're not UW, etc.

Fans here want more than just an 8 or 9 win season every so often... we want the team to compete for conference championships. I think one difference between OSU fans and Nebraska fans, is we know who we are, and do not expect championships every season. That does not mean they cannot happen here, or that we are happy with an 8 win season, it just means that we realize there are going to be down years and more average years since OSU faces more disadvantages.

But I will partially agree with you about one thing... Mike Riley did elevate the program from where it was in the 80's and 90's. He brought respect (apparently not from Neb fans) to the football program and OSU has always had the reputation of a clean program. I'll always be thankful for that. Now that i've said that, Riley is also responsible for the fall of the program after the 2009 season. He couldn't capitalize on two straight years of being one win away from the Rose Bowl, and as college football began to transition, he got left in the dust. We're now just playing catch up... again.

And Lastly, if the OSU football program is such a crappy job, then why have our last 3 football coaches been Mike Riley (x2), Dennis Erickson, and now Gary Andersen? Those are 3 big name coaches who apparently do not agree that OSU is a "crappy job".

Pass happy

Thanks so much for your helpful post! Now that you feel validated and/or vindicated, will you be staying around to lurk? I really hope you do!

I've lurked on this board on and off since Riley took the job, just to see how the fans would react once the season started... The reactions are as I expected, but much sooner than anticipated.

I'm not going to argue with you and try to compare the OSU job to the rest of the PAC12... It's obvious to all OSU fans that we have many disadvantages compared to the rest of the conference. We're in a small media market, the University is located in a city of only 55k, and we do not have a billionaire owner like the school to the south. We get it... we're not USC, we're not UW, etc.

Fans here want more than just an 8 or 9 win season every so often... we want the team to compete for conference championships. I think one difference between OSU fans and Nebraska fans, is we know who we are, and do not expect championships every season. That does not mean they cannot happen here, or that we are happy with an 8 win season, it just means that we realize there are going to be down years and more average years since OSU faces more disadvantages.

But I will partially agree with you about one thing... Mike Riley did elevate the program from where it was in the 80's and 90's. He brought respect (apparently not from Neb fans) to the football program and OSU has always had the reputation of a clean program. I'll always be thankful for that. Now that i've said that, Riley is also responsible for the fall of the program after the 2009 season. He couldn't capitalize on two straight years of being one win away from the Rose Bowl, and as college football began to transition, he got left in the dust. We're now just playing catch up... again.

And Lastly, if the OSU football program is such a crappy job, then why have our last 3 football coaches been Mike Riley (x2), Dennis Erickson, and now Gary Andersen? Those are 3 big name coaches who apparently do not agree that OSU is a "crappy job".

What you've written makes sense. I don't expect that you'll get many other posts of agreement here. The typical fan on this board is blind to the truth, it seems.

God himself got us nowhere in 7 years.

Reactions: 94husker

Husker fans say lots of things that aren`t true. OSU is located in a beautiful spot and may not be UCLA but it is a great gig if you are lucky enough to get it.

Reactions: stltiger44
Pass happy

I think a perma-ban is in order for this one. I've seen him here way too often.

Thanks for your post. Don't pay attention to the loser mentality that OSU is a crap job. I'm sure many would have said there was no way a team like Michigan State could compete with Michigan and look what good coaching has done there. Many here still think Nebraska commands respect nationally, but just like recruits, there are many fans watching today that were not old enough to watch football in the 90's. I work over several states and many college football fans aren't even aware that Nebraska has won a national championship - just like I wasn't aware that Illinois had won one, let alone five.

I am interested in your perspective on Riley. In the first 5 games, he seems to have demonstrated much of what OSU fans cautioned us about. Most of his supporters focus on the nice guy, clean program aspect. Can you share a little more on what happened after 2009?

Good luck to OSU in 2015.

Reactions: studed
Pass happy

Like we, the fans, had any say in the hiring? If we did, we'd have Frost in there.

Thanks for your post. Don't pay attention to the loser mentality that OSU is a crap job. I'm sure many would have said there was no way a team like Michigan State could compete with Michigan and look what good coaching has done there. Many here still think Nebraska commands respect nationally, but just like recruits, there are many fans watching today that were not old enough to watch football in the 90's. I work over several states and many college football fans aren't even aware that Nebraska has won a national championship - just like I wasn't aware that Illinois had won one, let alone five.

I am interested in your perspective on Riley. In the first 5 games, he seems to have demonstrated much of what OSU fans cautioned us about. Most of his supporters focus on the nice guy, clean program aspect. Can you share a little more on what happened after 2009?

Comparing OSU to its main competitors? It most certainly is. Maybe not a "crap" job...but certainly one of the worst if not the worst in the PAC. Also..comparing Mich St to Oregon St....Laughing

Pass happy

Based on your current record, it looks like ya'll just exchanged garbage...Riley and Co. for Andersen and Co.

Maybe Riley succeeds here, maybe he doesn't. Those of you willing to make the decision he won't, after 5 games, are insipid. Self serving posts like the OP's do nothing for anyone here but trade on misery. For anyone who's forgotten, we're Nebraska, not Oregon State. Tomorrow, that statement will still be true. Get your shit together, people. The world didn't end last Saturday, and the journey is just beginning.

everything is relative imo - At OSU if you go to a bowl every year the coach is considered successful - Riley missed a bowl game in 3 of the last 5 - with those expectations Anderson will do pretty well. I also believe that the spread running game will do well there in that weather also

Based on your current record, it looks like ya'll just exchanged garbage...Riley and Co. for Andersen and Co.

Yes, this year may not be a good one for OSU, but the record will not tell all. OSU is one of youngest teams in all of CFB this year.... 5th youngest in fact. There are only 12 Seniors on the roster, compared to 52 FR/True Frosh. We're starting a true freshman QB and had to replace 9 defensive starters from last years team.

The two losses are against Stanford and Michigan. Do you think Nebraska would will beat Michigan? What if Neb played Stanford? Both games were close at halftime and very competitive but the youth and inexperience was too much to overcome in the second half of each game.

Despite the 2-2 record, the team has shown a lot of growth and many of the problems we saw last year (false starts, personal fouls, delay of game) have been eliminated. You can see the team getting better each week, so we're hopeful the team will have the experience and depth next season to be a legit competitor in the pac12.

everything is relative imo - At OSU if you go to a bowl every year the coach is considered successful - Riley missed a bowl game in 3 of the last 5 - with those expectations Anderson will do pretty well. I also believe that the spread running game will do well there in that weather also

I know this is just one Beaver opinion but he did say this...

"Fans here want more than just an 8 or 9 win season every so often... we want the team to compete for conference championships. I think one difference between OSU fans and Nebraska fans, is we know who we are, and do not expect championships every season. That does not mean they cannot happen here, or that we are happy with an 8 win season, it just means that we realize there are going to be down years and more average years since OSU faces more disadvantages."

I'm not saying they could never...or will never win the PAC, but they should be happy with an 8 win season because IMO, that is the bar for their program. Maybe Andersen will kill it there and raise that bar but it's going to be a tough road.

Speaking as to why these 3 coaches took the OSU job wondering if it is a crappy job as to "why" they took the job? The answers are pretty simple:

1. Riley took the job because OSU it was his adopted home town. Not only did he play HS football in Corvallis, but his father was also an assistant coach for OSU for 8 years, he was close to his father who lived in Corvallis still, so that is a pretty easy connection as to why Riley took the Corvallis job. AKA home town.

2. Anderson took the Corvallis job for two main reasons. 1. He wanted to go back west, he is an Idaho guy, and had coached near the West Coast for most of his career and it was not secret that he wanted to go back west. OSU was an opportunity for him to do so. Also another main reason for him was that Wisky had higher academic standards that he was frustrated with, as he couldnt get some kids to qualify. So this is also an easy connection to make as far as to the "why" OSU was able to get this HC as well.

3. Erickson had just been fired from the Seahawks in the NFL, and he really didnt have many (any) teams banging down his door to be the HC at the D1 college level. Add to that he had just coached down the road in Seattle for a few years so OSU was close as well.

So there are some very logical reasons as to why these coaches took over the OSU job, but none of those reasons were because OSU was an "up and coming program" or that it wasnt a dumpster fire as it was a dumpster fire, with very little fan support, last in facilities etc. FWIW>

This is not accurate... and it's a lot of the reason why OSU fans were no longer supporting Riley the last few years. Riley had it in his contract, that if he got the team to a bowl game (any bowl game), his contract automatically had 1 additional year added to it. Fans had grown tired of the 6 or 7 win seasons and low tier bowl games. Riley seemed happy with those results, and every time a year was added to his contract, it made it harder for the administration to fire him. The conversation our AD had with Riley at the end of last season included reducing the number of years left on his contract.

In 2008 and 2009, all OSU had to do was beat Oregon in the Civil War and OSU would have played in the Rose Bowl. Instead, they lost each season and dropped down from the Rose Bowl to the Sun bowl in 08, and the Las Vegas bowl in 09. Both years were major disappointments to the fan base and not viewed as a success.

This is not accurate... and it's a lot of the reason why OSU fans were no longer supporting Riley the last few years. Riley had it in his contract, that if he got the team to a bowl game (any bowl game), his contract automatically had 1 additional year added to it. Fans had grown tired of the 6 or 7 win seasons and low tier bowl games. Riley seemed happy with those results, and every time a year was added to his contract, it made it harder for the administration to fire him. The conversation our AD had with Riley at the end of last season included reducing the number of years left on his contract.

In 2008 and 2009, all OSU had to do was beat Oregon in the Civil War and OSU would have played in the Rose Bowl. Instead, they lost each season and dropped down from the Rose Bowl to the Sun bowl in 08, and the Las Vegas bowl in 09. Both years were major disappointments to the fan base and not viewed as a success.

"All OSU had to do was to beat Oregon to get to the Rose Bowl" Really? Is that all they had to do? lol Beat Bellotti and Chip Kelly to get into the Rose Bowl? Well why didnt you say so, that is such an EASY Task..

Do OSU fans not realize that their program is and has been one of the worst P5 programs in the nation for the last 40 years plus?

Do OSU fans realize they are LAST in facilities and probably close to that in fan support in the Pac 12?

Do OSU fans realize that they have the NCAA record for 28 consecutive Losing seasons in football? 1971-1989? That is an NCAA record for futlity.

Do OSU fans realize that OSU had not won as many as 5 games in a season for 27 years from 1971-1988 Until Mike Riley actually got you guys up to 5 wins before he left for the Chargers?

Dear lowered OSU fans are pissed that Rileys record took a bit of a dip in his last year, probably mainly to the Pac 12 improving and maybe being the best conference in the country? The Pac 12 had improved over the last few years, you certainly are not taking that into consideration while talking about Rileys failures. You dont think that had anything to do with it, considering OSU is a dumpster fire of a program (still) and last in facilities? With Oregon right down the road?

WOW.

The funniest part of this post is that OSU is sooo cheap, and one of the reasons why they fail as a program is that they are worried about having to pay a guy in Rileys buyout? He was last in the Pac 12 in salary and had been for YEARS. Meanwhile Florida paid 5 mil to CSU to get Mckelwain for his buyout, while Rileys buyout was a mere 500K.

There is no question that Riley is a nice guy and will run a clean program, but he's too attached to his assistant coaches, and honestly, they are the ones dragging him down. Here, it appeared his biggest priority was making sure they had jobs, instead of holding them accountable, and winning games. When the AD was forcing some changes with his staff after last season, the easiest thing for him to do was move on so he could bring all his friends with him.

You asked what happened after the 2009 season... Well, mostly what happened is the other schools in the conference were making upgrades to their coaching staffs, and changing their offenses... Riley stuck with what he knew and refused to adapt.

I really think Riley could lead Nebraska to some very successful seasons, but not unless he makes some serious changes to his staff.

"All OSU had to do was to beat Oregon to get to the Rose Bowl" Really? Is that all they had to do? lol Beat Bellotti and Chip Kelly to get into the Rose Bowl? Well why didnt you say so, that is such an EASY Task..

Do OSU fans not realize that their program is and has been one of the worst P5 programs in the nation for the last 40 years plus?

Do OSU fans realize they are LAST in facilities and probably close to that in fan support in the Pac 12?

Do OSU fans realize that they have the NCAA record for 28 consecutive Losing seasons in football? 1971-1989? That is an NCAA record for futlity.

Do OSU fans realize that OSU had not won as many as 5 games in a season for 27 years from 1971-1988 Until Mike Riley actually got you guys up to 5 wins before he left for the Chargers?

Dear lowered OSU fans are pissed that Rileys record took a bit of a dip in his last year, probably mainly to the Pac 12 improving and maybe being the best conference in the country? The Pac 12 had improved over the last few years, you certainly are not taking that into consideration while talking about Rileys failures. You dont think that had anything to do with it, considering OSU is a dumpster fire of a program (still) and last in facilities? With Oregon right down the road?

WOW.

The funniest part of this post is that OSU is sooo cheap, and one of the reasons why they fail as a program is that they are worried about having to pay a guy in Rileys buyout? He was last in the Pac 12 in salary and had been for YEARS. Meanwhile Florida paid 5 mil to CSU to get Mckelwain for his buyout, while Rileys buyout was a mere 500K.

And this is the problem with most Nebraska fans. You're living in the past and you still think Nebraska is a national power. OSU's past is just that... the past. Since 2000, OSU has the 3rd most wins in the conference, but according to you, it's a dumpster fire program. OK...

And this is the problem with most Nebraska fans. You're living in the past and you still think Nebraska is a national power. OSU's past is just that... the past. Since 2000, OSU has the 3rd most wins in the conference, but according to you, it's a dumpster fire program. OK...

So you wanted to run out of town a coach who was 3rd in the Pac 12 in wins since 2000? That is a pretty bold move for a team that is last in the Pac 12 in facilities, and probably close to last in fan support. Talk about NU fans? Really?

So you wanted to run out of town a coach who was 3rd in the Pac 12 in wins since 2000? That is a pretty bold move for a team that is last in the Pac 12 in facilities, and probably close to last in fan support. Talk about NU fans? Really?

Well, 2000-2002 was Erickson, and that includes OSU's 11-1 season so not all of that is Riley.

Most on this board want to run Riley out of town after 5 games.

You keep bringing up OSU's facilities to prove some sort of point. I'm assuming you're one of the fans that expected Riley to come into Nebraska and instantly win because Nebraska's facilities are so much better than OSU's? Are you upset because possibly facilities don't matter as much as you think, now that you see Riley has many flaws that have nothing to do with the facilities?

Reactions: raidermv
Well, 2000-2002 was Erickson, and that includes OSU's 11-1 season so not all of that is Riley.

Most on this board want to run Riley out of town after 5 games.

You keep bringing up OSU's facilities to prove some sort of point. I'm assuming you're one of the fans that expected Riley to come into Nebraska and instantly win because Nebraska's facilities are so much better than OSU's? Are you upset because possibly facilities don't matter as much as you think, now that you see Riley has many flaws that have nothing to do with the facilities?

I think the hope was that for a coach who has been known as someone who gets the most out of talent would be able to win big at NU due to the added resources and ease of recruiting at a place like NU compared to Oregon State. That still remains to be seen. I don't think anybody...even before coaching a coach thought Riley came without flaws. Hell, go to a Bama board after a loss and you will find a number of Saban flaws that we didn't know about. No, I'm not saying Riley=Saban...I just don't think anybody was under the impression he was the perfect coach and human being.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT