ADVERTISEMENT

Washinton Redskins changing team name

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicolby

All-American
May 3, 2012
With the announcement of an official review of their team name, it seems inevitable that the Redskins will soon be a thing of the past.

Seems about 5 years too late for me, but I think it’s a good decision. Curious to hear what they come up with for a replacement. I’m sure many branding agencies are working night and day to come up with alternatives.

With the announcement of an official review of their team name, it seems inevitable that the Redskins will soon be a thing of the past.

Seems about 5 years too late for me, but I think it’s a good decision. Curious to hear what they come up with for a replacement. I’m sure many branding agencies are working night and day to come up with alternatives.

I hope they still stay with a Native American name..

Redskins was a terrible nickname.

Speaking of Keanu Reeves, I had an intern the other day tell me about how great of an actor he was because he just watched 'John Wick'. I then said "He's been around for a while. Have you ever seen 'The Matrix'?"

He watched 'The Matrix' last weekend and his mind was blown. Then I told him about 'Bill and Ted' and 'Speed'. He's not a sports fan, so I didn't bring up 'The Replacements'.

I think they need to go in a totally different direction.
FightingWhites.png

I know Atlanta has no problem being the Braves, so why wouldn’t it work in Washington..

I’m guessing there is some copy write law about using another nickname of a franchise I suppose..:cool:

They ought to rename them the "Whiteskins" or "Palefaces" to see how many people would be offended by those names. I'd like to see that done just as an experiment to see the reaction.

Personally I wouldn't be offended one bit by that but you know there are people out there who would be offended by anything.

I think it is actually counterproductive to "whitewash" everything but what do I know.

Well they were once called the Braves so that’s probably out. In today’s world they will need to choose something innocuous like Legos, Turtles, Kittens or Roses.

At that time they were the Boston Braves before moving to D.C. and that is when they changed their name a year later to the Redskins..They should bring it back and they wouldn’t have to change the helmet decal.

Reactions: rrthusker
I hope they still stay with a Native American name..

Redskins was a terrible nickname.
I started to like your post but can't. I know a fair number of native Americans who take pride in calling themselves red men or red skins. The whole change the name of sports teams from the Fighting Sioux, Chiefs or Redskins is just division politics. The VAST majority of native Americans in that area wanted the North Dakota Fighting Sioux to retain that nickname. How many Native Americans feel dishonored by the Redskin nickname? Is it a BUNCH or is it a few who are insulted at every turn. I guess since they suck right now maybe it's a more sensitive topic. Whatever. I would like to see them come up with something that would honor the area tribes and allow them to keep some Native American flavor to their brand.

Probably no different than if we started naming Christian School mascots after Surfer Jesus, Catholic Schools after priests that like altar boys or farmers that like sheep.. although that last one would be funny...

I started to like your post but can't. I know a fair number of native Americans who take pride in calling themselves red men or red skins. The whole change the name of sports teams from the Fighting Sioux, Chiefs or Redskins is just division politics. The VAST majority of native Americans in that area wanted the North Dakota Fighting Sioux to retain that nickname. How many Native Americans feel dishonored by the Redskin nickname? Is it a BUNCH or is it a few who are insulted at every turn. I guess since they suck right now maybe it's a more sensitive topic. Whatever. I would like to see them come up with something that would honor the area tribes and allow them to keep some Native American flavor to their brand.

If you say so since you know some native Americans and they don’t have a problem with it.. Since I know of none I’ll take your word for it..

Braves would be perfect since they were originally named when they started the franchise in Boston..

Are native Americans offended about the name, or is it a bunch of white people who think native Americans should be offended about the name? ...and I honestly don't know the answer....but this is another one of those roll my eyes moments.
Some are, some aren't, far as I can tell, just like any topic. I don't know the exact split and would like to see a formal poll of natives just for the hell of it.

I think changing the Bullets to the Wizards was stupid, but this is a little different.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Erasing the past worked wonderfully in Fahrenheit 451.

Remember, erasing the names from the football teams means they remain in literature . . . and so to rid ourselves of that offense we will need to burn the word from all books - all online pages - all dictionaries - and we will need to regulate speech so that what was erased can never return.

If you guys don't think this is where we are headed check out Canada.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT