ADVERTISEMENT

Washinton Redskins changing team name

Status
Not open for further replies.
They ought to rename them the "Whiteskins" or "Palefaces" to see how many people would be offended by those names. I'd like to see that done just as an experiment to see the reaction.
This board is pretty thick-skinned. If someone were to name a team the Roughest Toughest Smartest Sumbitches Who Ever Lived, little offense would be taken.

Reactions: HuskerO
Change it to the Washington Alcoholics.

Changes the name to appease the lefties, yet still wildly racist to please the red hats.

Change it to the Washington Alcoholics.

Changes the name to appease the lefties, yet still wildly racist to please the red hats.
Washington Fire-Water
adbb3567-a9d6-446e-9419-d4d595989b9a_screenshot.jpg

Last edited:
Ive been a Slurs fan since 1983 I really like the logo and helmet. Will definitely purchase some gear before they make a change but it is pretty clear how it would be considered offensive.

Reactions: TheBeav815
The Washington Americans

There's a minor league hockey team in Washington state called the Tri-Cities Americans. It's like the Montreal Canadians.

Ive read that Red Tails is a popular choice and would honor the WW2 fighter pilots of the same name.
However then someone would take offense at the glorification of war.

you could go with Reds but then the anti-communists and much of the NL central would be mad.

Which leaves tails. But a lot of people prefer the head to the tail.

i say just go with the Washington Football team. But then the soccer fans would be upset and confused.

and while we are at it, isnt Washington now considered offensive too? So then maybe its just the DC team. But Columbus is offensive plus calling it a district offends those who want DC statehood.

So much like the movie wargames, the only winning move is not to play

Ive read that Red Tails is a popular choice and would honor the WW2 fighter pilots of the same name.
However then someone would take offense at the glorification of war.

you could go with Reds but then the anti-communists and much of the NL central would be mad.

Which leaves tails. But a lot of people prefer the head to the tail.

i say just go with the Washington Football team. But then the soccer fans would be upset and confused.

and while we are at it, isnt Washington now considered offensive too? So then maybe its just the DC team. But Columbus is offensive plus calling it a district offends those who want DC statehood.

So much like the movie wargames, the only winning move is not to play
DC Athletics. But athlete comes from the Greek language. Is Greece politically correct? They did have conquest.

Are native Americans offended about the name, or is it a bunch of white people who think native Americans should be offended about the name? ...and I honestly don't know the answer....but this is another one of those roll my eyes moments.
Actually, the Washington Post (not exactly a bastion of conservatism), did a poll of Native Americans on this very subject a few years ago. They found that 9 of 10 polled were NOT offended in any way by the name. So basically, it's mostly a bunch of white people feeling offended for other people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...a11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

If you asked a poll of white Americans right now, most would say the name is offensive. If you asked them why, they would either say they had no idea, or just heard on tv that it was. FYI my Dad was born on the Pine Lake reservation, and my grandmother was 100% Lakota. I have no problem with the name. It’s not offensive unless you’ve been told to be offended.

If you asked a poll of white Americans right now, most would say the name is offensive. If you asked them why, they would either say they had no idea, or just heard on tv that it was. FYI my Dad was born on the Pine Lake reservation, and my grandmother was 100% Lakota. I have no problem with the name. It’s not offensive unless you’ve been told to be offended.
Exactly! It is just like the national anthem kneeling. Every veteran I have talked to has said the right to kneel is exactly what they fought for. Once Fox News told people they should be offended and Kapernick was a bad guy, people had their minds made up! Great post!

Actually, the Washington Post (not exactly a bastion of conservatism), did a poll of Native Americans on this very subject a few years ago. They found that 9 of 10 polled were NOT offended in any way by the name. So basically, it's mostly a bunch of white people feeling offended for other people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...a11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html
Personally I don't care what the team is called. They could be called the "generic" football team for all I care.

I just find it hypocritical though that Native Americans are being told what they must protest by non Native American protesters. It's like a large number of people believe they can't think for themselves, speak for themselves or have their own independent opinions. Sadly it seems to me it's just another continuing form of domination of Native Americans by non Native Americans.

The football team will be renamed of course due to the financial pressure of sponsors/advertisers. That's a done deal this time.

The team in Washington is under no obligation to change their name .... they can simply decide to say no

no one is forcing them to do anything

for all freedom lovers — they are perfectly free to decide to stay with their name

Last edited:

That poll was later found to be not even remotely statistically valid. Later polls done by Quinnipiac and other schools of Native Americans put the numbers between around 65% to 70% opposed, with one outlier poll at, IIRC, 54% opposed.

I know a number of Native Americans and every single one of them is strongly opposed to the name. A number of years ago I was at a writer's conference in KC, held at a large hotel. Also held at the hotel was a conference of Native Americans on, IIRC, providing medical services to Native Americans. One evening, in a fantastic collision of the stereotypes of drunken writers and drunken Native Americans, me and two other writers were talking to five Native Americans in one of the hotel's bars. This subject came up. The Native Americans weren't overly concerned about most of the team names. They even felt that changing ND States name from the Fighting Sioux was unnecessary. But they were all strongly opposed to Redskins. As one put it "What would you think if they were called the Washington Jungle Bunnies? Redskins means the same thing to us."

I can’t imagine being a lib and waking up each morning trying to find something to be offended by whether it be Paw patrol, maple syrup,or a team mascot. What a sad existence these social justice warriors lead. Get off Twitter and enjoy a sunrise or sunset and live life and actually contribute to society.

So apparently soybean farmers and beef and pork producers in rural Nebraska are fed up with the term “Cornhuskers”.

Sounds like the Nebraska Ag Producers is the only logical solution.

With the announcement of an official review of their team name, it seems inevitable that the Redskins will soon be a thing of the past.

Seems about 5 years too late for me, but I think it’s a good decision. Curious to hear what they come up with for a replacement. I’m sure many branding agencies are working night and day to come up with alternatives.
I think my dad once referred to them as the Foreskins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT