ADVERTISEMENT

Was Saturday night the loudest Memorial Stadium...

HuskerBorn

Junior
Oct 23, 2009
has ever been? For those of you that were there, was this the loudest you have ever heard it? I’ve heard several recruits, broadcasters and Coach Frost comment on the incredible crowd noise. Hope it can be replicated for CU! GBR!

I’ve travelled all over to watch the Huskers play and I think the OU game when Bo got throttled and was down 28-0 in the first quarter in Norman was the loudest CFB crowd I’ve ever heard.

I would say no. Would say some of the ou and cu games were louder

has ever been? For those of you that were there, was this the loudest you have ever heard it? I’ve heard several recruits, broadcasters and Coach Frost comment on the incredible crowd noise. Hope it can be replicated for CU! GBR!
No. 1978 Oklahoma and 1992 Colorado were louder.

I wasn’t there, but based on what I heard coming through the TV I would say no. There have been times that I couldn’t hear the commentators over the crowd noise. They did have to speak up and talk over the crowd noise, but I could hear what they were saying.

I would remember that it didn't even get to the game proper. It was certainly loud for the kickoff. The stadium was almost fully packed 30 minutes before kickoff. That is something that rarely happens. I would love to see some decimal ratings on the old games versus this year. I would assume there is going to be a volume difference between 76,000 fans (80s/90s) and 90,000 fans.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
We remember some of our old games with rose colored ears :p Although a lot of the big games in the 80s/90s were freakin' loud. '85 OU game with the bob-father walking into goal posts pre-game on the way from his show. That game was jam packed and loud as well. The FSU game was great as well, but I don't really remember it being all that loud.

We remember some of our old games with rose colored ears :p Although a lot of the big games in the 80s/90s were freakin' loud. '85 OU game with the bob-father walking into goal posts pre-game on the way from his show. That game was jam packed and loud as well. The FSU game was great as well, but I don't really remember it being all that loud.

The 1985 game you are referring to was in Norman.

http://soonerstats.com/football/games/recap.cfm?GameID=855

92 Cu game sitting in the north end zone row 41 and we did not hear the band once except at halftime(crowd to loud) until midway thru the 4th quarter. It was nuts. Also the night the students raided the field at the field at the end, took both goal posts down and carried them to O Street and down O Street to party! It was Halloween and the crowd was raucous to say the least!

92 Cu game sitting in the north end zone row 41 and we did not hear the band once except at halftime(crowd to loud) until midway thru the 4th quarter. It was nuts. Also the night the students raided the field at the field at the end, took both goal posts down and carried them to O Street and down O Street to party! It was Halloween and the crowd was raucous to say the least!
That game was indeed crazy and loud. Hopefully this Saturday the crowd will go bonkers too! Can't stand CU.

Wasn't just the students. I was one of them

There's no way that the "old" games were as loud as it is now, with the additional fans PLUS the sound system. Also the changes to the stadium hold in a lot more sound.

Terrence Nunn and Le Kevin Smith... I don't go to many games but I was at both of those and I decided I was bad luck.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Lots of games that were louder as you can't compare a game to one that had one play. As for pregame crowd and hype, the best one ever in my opinion was 1994 Colorado, when Bill McCartney was trying to hold his players back so they didn't see the tunnel walk. We were the only school with big screens back then. The roar when our players entered the field was deafening. Chris Fowler (CU alum by the way) later admitted he knew the game was going to be very tough for the Buffs right then. Last Saturday was great but that one may have been a tad better. Maybe because I had better hearing back then-- who knows?

No. 1978 Oklahoma and 1992 Colorado were louder.
92 Colorado was insane. Halloween game if I recall, and the place was going NUTS. I was 10 and I was pumped that I got to paint my face and stay up late, lol. To this day that might be the most fun I ever had at a football game.

The Texas game before Nunn fumbled was a lot of fun. NU took the momentum and it started snowing, crowd was really amped.

Some of the K-State games from the 90s were crazy loud, too. People don't seem to recall those but it was a very hostile environment when the cats came to Lincoln.

Reactions: saluno22
There's no way that the "old" games were as loud as it is now, with the additional fans PLUS the sound system. Also the changes to the stadium hold in a lot more sound.

Terrence Nunn and Le Kevin Smith... I don't go to many games but I was at both of those and I decided I was bad luck.
Now we know who to blame!!! LoL

Reactions: mgbreis
That was the first game they brought back the full prayer for the tunnel walk...Goosebumps

If t-magic happened one year earlier Nebraska might have been ‘back’. Zac lee was atrocious.

Exactly! Zac (3 & out) Lee just couldn't hack it. Tmart would have had NU at almost unbeatable status. With that excellent defense.....and a warp 9 Tmart.....it would have been something!

Some of the K-State games from the 90s were crazy loud, too. People don't seem to recall those but it was a very hostile environment when the cats came to Lincoln.
I'll never forget Mike Rucker destroying the K-State player in 1995. I believe it was Mike Fullman that scored on the punt return for Nebraska. Unfortunately, I wasn't at the game & saw it on t.v.

Sometimes I have a hard time comparing the noise level of a game 20-30 years ago to those that are more recent. In recent memory, the 2014 Miami game and the 2016 Oregon game were pretty amped up. Those were freaking loud.

Reactions: xxUNRIVALEDxx
I have been going to games since 1992... The loudest I've ever seen the stadium was when Crouch caught the pass against Oklahoma. It got eerily silent as the ball was in the air and everyone gasped... then we realized at the same time that it was Crouch and he was wide open. The place went bonkers. Honorable mentions was Alex Henery's 2008 kick against Colorado, Suh's pick six against Colorado in that same game, Westercamp's 2013 Hail Mary catch against Northwestern. 2009 against Oklahoma was loud, but there wasn't a singular moment where everyone went crazy.

My dad has long maintained that the loudest the stadium has ever been was in 1994 against Colorado when we fooled them on a long play action pass to the tight end to put the game away.

I’ve travelled all over to watch the Huskers play and I think the OU game when Bo got throttled and was down 28-0 in the first quarter in Norman was the loudest CFB crowd I’ve ever heard.

were you at NU Saturday?

92 Colorado was insane. Halloween game if I recall, and the place was going NUTS. I was 10 and I was pumped that I got to paint my face and stay up late, lol. To this day that might be the most fun I ever had at a football game.

The Texas game before Nunn fumbled was a lot of fun. NU took the momentum and it started snowing, crowd was really amped.

1995, 1997, and 1999 K-State games were all great fun. They came in with a ton of momentum and we beat them down pretty easily each time. I think in 1999 they were undefeated, ranked in the top five, and had beaten us for the first time in forever the year before. We put a big hurting on them with Crouch and Mike Brown.

Reactions: SOHusker11
The sound system and screens are great but have had an impact on the crowds. People didnt have distractions at the game so all energy was focused toward the game on the field.

77 Alabama -Bear's only visit to Lincoln. Huge upset after NU was beat the week before by Wazu (Warren Powers).
78 OU - my first OU game. The reaction to the Kelly Phelps hit and reaction when it wasnt called a fumble was deafening.
86 OU - red uniforms and NU played a great 3 qtrs. OU owned the 4th sadly to steal it.
90 CU - NU was outgunned this game but the crowd and fumbles keep us in it.
92 CU - as blood thirtsy as I can remember a NU crowd. Weather, Halloween, and 3 years wo beating CU had the crowd amped this afternoon. Loud from start to finish even with the blowout.
94 CU - loud for a 11a kickoff. Start of the game was off the charts but NU put away by half and 2nd half wasnt nearly as loud
96 CU - defensive slugfest in rain to the end. Crowd was a huge factor with CU driving late to take a lead.
01 OU - as previously noted, things went nuts after the Crouch TD catch
06 UT - first half was not that loud as most fans didnt think we could win. NU offense awakens late and crowd got loud in the 4th.
09 OU - fans were ready to beat OU after losing previous 4. Close game and defense performance has crowd amped. Lack of offense had most fans frustrated to rank higher.
14 Miami - long history with Miami, night game. 2nd most blood thirsty crowd I've seen in Lincoln once skirmishes broke out in 2nd half.

When people realized it was crouch catching that ball, it was insane. The stands shook when we took the lead vs Texas in 06 though. Felt like the stands were going to collapse.

Perhaps the rattle is what caused Nunn to fumble. If I had to choose one play that reflects our past 17 years it's that one.

Loudest one time burst. Alex Henrey 50+ yarder against CU.

Loudest sustained was the Miami game a few years back. Place was electric all night, pent up frustration and finally getting the canes at home.

I heard CU 92 was off the charts also, but I was not there

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT