ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue Game Takeaways from Memorial Stadium (Up Close)

maplesyrup95

Junior
Nov 26, 2014
This past Saturday I sat at midfield, up close behind the good guys bench – probably the best seats I’ve ever had in Memorial thanks to someone who gave them to me.

And whoa boy, did I see the sights and sounds. The physicality, our coaches and players’ demeanor, and the feisty crowd. You bet your ass I froze my ass off and windburned my face, but damnit it was worth it. Here are three major takeaways from midfield at the NU-PU game:

The Defense. Multiple times I noticed the body language of N. Henrich, Robinson, Polar Bear, Reimer, Hill, Bullock, Newsome, and Gifford enthusiastic and mentally prepared each time they took the field. I know we’re only in Game 8 of the Rhule era and we haven’t made a bowl game yet, but it felt like we have a group of hombres that finally want to defend their home turf with both physicality and smarts. Purdue seemed to have only one of those things on both sides of the ball. I could really sense the budding defensive identity that both Alberts and Rhule have wanted to instill since both of their arrivals in Lincoln.

The Officials. They let that game get out of hand. They might need to be relegated to Group of 5 or lower. Not once did I feel that they had good control of the game. Purdue tried to play bully ball all day, and holy s*** the officials let ‘em make it a Big 10 West cage match. From my vantage point, PU got away with a lot more than what the TV broadcast showed.

Finally, the Crowd. Home field advantage. That crowd resembled the weather - rowdy and little nasty. I can’t remember the last time we had an actual home field advantage at Memorial. Everyone – and I mean everyone – was jacked up out of their mind for the defense to take the field. Rhule and Satt took Walters to school for 3.5 quarters. And even with the warts at the beginning & end of the game, I still felt like our staff and team had control of the game when those warts and turnovers reared their ugly head. For the first time in years, I left Memorial Stadium with a sense that we have a hungry coach and hungry players who are focused and working on becoming a real TEAM.

This past Saturday I sat at midfield, up close behind the good guys bench – probably the best seats I’ve ever had in Memorial thanks to someone who gave them to me.

And whoa boy, did I see the sights and sounds. The physicality, our coaches and players’ demeanor, and the feisty crowd. You bet your ass I froze my ass off and windburned my face, but damnit it was worth it. Here are three major takeaways from midfield at the NU-PU game:

The Defense. Multiple times I noticed the body language of N. Henrich, Robinson, Polar Bear, Reimer, Hill, Bullock, Newsome, and Gifford enthusiastic and mentally prepared each time they took the field. I know we’re only in Game 8 of the Rhule era and we haven’t made a bowl game yet, but it felt like we have a group of hombres that finally want to defend their home turf with both physicality and smarts. Purdue seemed to have only one of those things on both sides of the ball. I could really sense the budding defensive identity that both Alberts and Rhule have wanted to instill since both of their arrivals in Lincoln.

The Officials. They let that game get out of hand. They might need to be relegated to Group of 5 or lower. Not once did I feel that they had good control of the game. Purdue tried to play bully ball all day, and holy s*** the officials let ‘em make it a Big 10 West cage match. From my vantage point, PU got away with a lot more than what the TV broadcast showed.

Finally, the Crowd. Home field advantage. That crowd resembled the weather - rowdy and little nasty. I can’t remember the last time we had an actual home field advantage at Memorial. Everyone – and I mean everyone – was jacked up out of their mind for the defense to take the field. Rhule and Satt took Walters to school for 3.5 quarters. And even with the warts at the beginning & end of the game, I still felt like our staff and team had control of the game when those warts and turnovers reared their ugly head. For the first time in years, I left Memorial Stadium with a sense that we have a hungry coach and hungry players who are focused and working on becoming a real TEAM.
I’ve commented on the team aspect. I’m not seeing the individual look at me celebrations we saw after 5 yard runs against our D last year. It seems like it’s always guys slapping a fellow player on the pads and celebrating together. And yeah, those refs weren’t good.

I too was in the stands for this game, and then watched the replay on FS1. There were so many times that the Purdue players especially on defense would shove our guys down after the play was over and it never once drew a flag. Lots of those were DB's shoving receivers or just sitting on top of them after the whistle. None of that made the broadcast. You could sure hear the crowd groan whenever it happened and the TV announcers never even mentioned what was happening. I think Ryan Walters was trying to instill that CU type of hatred in his Purdue players and it didn't work.

Thanks for your reviews from the stadium! Good stuff.

The refs did let that get out of hand. I'm fairly sure Rhule will remind the team not to start with that stuff and try not to retaliate when it happens to them. We don't need penalties on top of our fumbling tendencies.

As someone posted on another thread, that was one of the most satisfying wins I've seen in awhile. That final TD erased the grumpiness I felt in not holding them scoreless.

Still a lot of football to be played, but I love the resiliency of this team so far.

I too was in the stands for this game, and then watched the replay on FS1. There were so many times that the Purdue players especially on defense would shove our guys down after the play was over and it never once drew a flag. Lots of those were DB's shoving receivers or just sitting on top of them after the whistle. None of that made the broadcast. You could sure hear the crowd groan whenever it happened and the TV announcers never even mentioned what was happening. I think Ryan Walters was trying to instill that CU type of hatred in his Purdue players and it didn't work.
You hit the bullseye with this one. I noticed all of the same BS Purdue was doing too. Great analysis.

Thanks for your reviews from the stadium! Good stuff.

The refs did let that get out of hand. I'm fairly sure Rhule will remind the team not to start with that stuff and try not to retaliate when it happens to them. We don't need penalties on top of our fumbling tendencies.

As someone posted on another thread, that was one of the most satisfying wins I've seen in awhile. That final TD erased the grumpiness I felt in not holding them scoreless.

Still a lot of football to be played, but I love the resiliency of this team so far.
Fleeks was a stupid penalty. BS refs weren’t calling those both ways, but that one hurt us. He’s a senior and needed to be smarter.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I’ve commented on the team aspect. I’m not seeing the individual look at me celebrations we saw after 5 yard runs against our D last year. It seems like it’s always guys slapping a fellow player on the pads and celebrating together. And yeah, those refs weren’t good.
Other than our defensive physicality, this IMHO is why the crowd was so juiced up during the game. It’s subtle in the grand scheme of the game, but it’s really noticeable if you look for it.

Were you able to record any Purdue signs?

Glad the refs let them get dirty. Love it.

Fan attendance was very disappointing.

Glad the refs let them get dirty. Love it.

Fan attendance was very disappointing.
Tongue Goat GIF

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT