ADVERTISEMENT

Was leaving the Big 12 a huge-

onechase

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2005
mistake after what you have seen from Nebraska Football in the Big 10?

Academically used barely squeezed into the conference. I actually think they made a few exceptions. We obviously didn’t want you for your football team so I’d start concentrating on academics or you may not have a choice and be booted. I highly doubt Texas and the big 12 will let you back in but maybe the Mac or mountain west would be an option? Plus those two conferences you’d have a great opportunity to win consistently which is what matters to most fans on this board.

Academically used barely squeezed into the conference. I actually think they made a few exceptions. We obviously didn’t want you for your football team so I’d start concentrating on academics or you may not have a choice and be booted. I highly doubt Texas and the big 12 will let you back in but maybe the Mac or mountain west would be an option? Plus those two conferences you’d have a great opportunity to win consistently which is what matters to most fans on this board.

I must have missed all the geniuses coming out of Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan State, etc.

I get you have never had sex, not a big deal. But please stop thinking that Iowa is an academic school...Do you know where the kids from IL, that can't get into Illinois, NW, Purdue or Indiana attend? Iowa...just stop

This is ****ING awesome!

We carry our weight with the land grants we get for research, as well as nutritional science. Oh, and there's our medical which we excel at that Iowans often flock over here for. Nice try though. We don't need anyones approval.

I must have missed all the geniuses coming out of Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan State, etc.
Big Ten is probably the best academic conference of the power 5s. Nebraska is the worst in the conference according to US News. The next closest is 30 spots higher.

Reactions: jrob7859
Enough with the excuses. The Big XII is still a hodgepodge of stuff with not even a TV network. OU and UT run it like the old Big 8. The Big Ten is obviously a tougher conference in most sports and certainly superior in academics. UNL is a much better university than it was in 2010. Our volleyball team has won two national titles since joining. No excuses for the football program which also had some crap seasons in the latter years of Big XII participation. We just need to find the right guy at the top. In basketball hopefully we have our guy in Hoiberg. Go beg Colorado, Missouri or Texas A&M to come back. They will give you the same response. F off.

Big Ten is probably the best academic conference of the power 5s. Nebraska is the worst in the conference according to US News. The next closest is 30 spots higher.

Show me a genius coming out of any of those schools. I've never heard of one.

Last time I checked, Chinese money and students are the only thing propping up Iowa at this point.

Actually, I think the ACC is probably the best. The Pac 12 probably has the biggest gap between top to bottom, since they have a few really solid academic schools. The Big 12 and SEC are just bad.

I'm pretty sure Iowa isn't blowing anyone away with their academics, so I'm not sure why Iowa fans are over here huffing and puffing about Big Ten academics. I mean, you actually have a decent football team this year. Talk about that, FFS. This is a football board, after all.

Actually, I think the ACC is probably the best. The Pac 12 probably has the biggest gap between top to bottom, since they have a few really solid academic schools. The Big 12 and SEC are just bad.

I'm pretty sure Iowa isn't blowing anyone away with their academics, so I'm not sure why Iowa fans are over here huffing and puffing about Big Ten academics. I mean, you actually have a decent football team this year. Talk about that, FFS. This is a football board, after all.

Do you seriously want to compare Iowa academics with Nebraska? Good grief! Go watch some volleyball!

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Do you seriously want to compare Iowa academics with Nebraska? Good grief! Go watch some volleyball!

Jeez, triggered? I don't recall comparing NU academics to Iowa academics. Oh, wait, no. I just reread my post, and I definitely didn't do that. I'm just saying that barely being in the top 100 is nothing to puff your chest about.

These virgins that act like a degree from Iowa means something...

Let me help you all out...

Ivy Degree: Means something
MIT, NW, Stanford, Cal Poly: Mean something
West Point: Means something (in a different way)

After that...not counting a degree in certain fields from like a Purdue or Illinois...all those degrees are pretty much the same.

Reactions: SkerinDallas
These virgins that act like a degree from Iowa means something...

Let me help you all out...

Ivy Degree: Means something
MIT, NW, Stanford, Cal Poly: Mean something
West Point: Means something (in a different way)

After that...not counting a degree in certain fields from like a Purdue or Illinois...all those degrees are pretty much the same.

It depends on what degree. A degree in something that requires intelligence, like engineering, is a good thing from any major University. And better than a useless liberal degree from a more distinguished college.

And you can be dumber than a bucket of rocks and still get into Stanford....if they want you to play ball for them.

We carry our weight with the land grants we get for research, as well as nutritional science. Oh, and there's our medical which we excel at that Iowans often flock over here for. Nice try though. We don't need anyones approval.
And the only school to get kicked out of the AAU which is a prime reason you got the players you did prior to 2000.

And the only school to get kicked out of the AAU which is a prime reason you got the players you did prior to 2000.
AAU is a joke. So is post secondary education as a whole outside of a few majors tbh, which is OT. We got good fb players cuz we were good at football. Pretty simple.

AAU is a joke. So is post secondary education as a whole outside of a few majors tbh, which is OT. We got good fb players cuz we were good at football. Pretty simple.
No, you got good football players from FL who couldn’t make it into FL, Miami, FL State. Now those kids go to UCF, S FL and FL Atlantic and NU will never get enough of those types again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmurphytn1

I hope you don't think it was a mistake to join the B1G. The money should help you to get back to where you guys were. Big XII was a joke, it still is compared to the other Power 5. If you're not winning against Purdue, Indiana and the likes, you're probably not going to win against the TCU, Baylor either. I agree that the tradition and travel are better at Big XII, but you are just a year or two away from being great again. When you're consistently winning the B1G West, you will love it.

I hope you don't think it was a mistake to join the B1G. The money should help you to get back to where you guys were. Big XII was a joke, it still is compared to the other Power 5. If you're not winning against Purdue, Indiana and the likes, you're probably not going to win against the TCU, Baylor either. I agree that the tradition and travel are better at Big XII, but you are just a year or two away from being great again. When you're consistently winning the B1G West, you will love it.

“In 2010 Perlman stated that had Nebraska not been part of the AAU, the Big Ten would likely not have invited it to become the athletic conference's 12th member.[7]”

Yea, academics in COLLEGE are kind of a big deal.

I f'ing hated the Big 12. Absolutely hated it. B1G is so much better in every way possible. The fact we struggle now has nothing to do with the conference and everything to do with firing and hiring coaches.

Reactions: Hawkman34
Yes. We got money hungry but as a result, our football program is on life support right now.
I am a Kansas State graduate and fan and also have alot of very close Nebraska friends. I went to every KSU vs NEB game since 1986. Since 2010 when NEB stated they were going to the Big 10, KSU has had Big 12 distributions and Tier 3 money which have equaled $260.20 mil. In that same time period NEB has had Big 10 distributions which have equaled $221.40 mil. Money is not the most important thing but KSU has made $38.80 mil more in conference distributions than NEB has made in the Big 10 since they joined the Big 10. People dont realize how much money each Big 12 schools make in Tier 3 money which no other conference has. KSU is one of the smaller schools in the Big 12 in terms of Tier 3 money and we still make at least 4 to 6 mil a year extra. Other schools make an additional 9 to 15 mil a year extra just on Tier 3 money. I got my info from the web so anybody can check it for themselves. But if you dont believe me below are the numbers. As stated above the KSU numbers show the Tier 3 money included with the Big 12 distribution.
KSU
2010 = 12.4 mil
2011 = 15.2 mil
2012 = 25.5 mil
2013 = 27.2 mil
2014 = 28.6 mil
2015 = 31.3 mil
2016 = 35.4 mil
2017 = 40.2 mil
2018 = 44.4 mil
Total = $260.20

NEBRASKA
2010 = 3.4 mil
2011 = 14.3 mil
2012 = 15.4 mil
2013 = 16.5 mil
2014 = 18.7 mil
2015 = 23.1 mil
2016 = 26.0 mil
2017 = 50.6 mil
2018 = 53.4 mil
Total = $221.4 mil

I personally always liked NEB when they were in the Big 12 but I also only want teams that want to be in the Big 12. If NEB doesnt want to be in the Big 12 I want to wish them the best in the Big 10. For what its worth, my close NEB friends, who are good to big donors to NEB football, tell me they enjoyed the Big 12 more.

If I grew up in Big 10 country watching the Big 10 I am sure I would be a huge Big 10 fan today. I grew up a Big 8 and Big 12 fan and I could care less about Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, etc. The Big 10 is a very good conference and has very good schools but myself, and most of the country, just doesn't care about the Big 10. I have seen it on this board that KSU would jump at the chance to be in the Big 10. First, that will never happen because we are in such a small market, but second I would HATE to be in the Big 10 and be playing teams like Purdue, Indiana, etc. Who cares about playing these teams. Even as small time that you think KSU is we had 8 mil people in the US watch our game against Oklahoma this year. Which by way we won. I do not know the TV ratings but I doubt 8 mil people watched Nebraska get beat by Purdue this past weekend. The Big 10 has been BAD for the Nebraska brand whether or not the NEB fan will admit it.

Yes. We got money hungry but as a result, our football program is on life support right now.
But why can’t NU compete against the Purdues, Illinois, Indianas, Minnesotas, Iowas, Marylands of the world??? I get that Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin are really good, but NU should beat or compete with the rest. Something is wrong.

No. That's such a pathetic excuse for not performing well. Pelini had the same record in the Big XII and Big Ten.

Yes but the Big 10 killed it off once it was a full cycle removed. Facts.

Recruiting average ranking clearly down in your new digs

if UConn can do it, you guys can do it.

Last edited:
I just thing the whole Big 12 vs B1G argument is silly. Nebraska would be the same shit show in either conference at this point in time.

90% no it wouldn’t at all. Because your recruiting rankings have dipped and the style of play in The B1G is awful for NU.

NU has relied on great skill players for decades. The B1G gets one skill player and thinks he’s god. The Big 12 has multiple. NU needs to live and breathe in that setting week after week, and it’s crushed the program trying to be forced to play Big 10 football.

Enough with the excuses. Our volleyball team has won two national titles since joining. No excuses for the football program...

Wow!

I knew you guys would trail off after you burned through your big xii recruits in that new conference.

I knew it would take a few years to realize you were giving up football so your school could run elbows with the old guard snobs of the Big Tin.

Now you are having competitive games with lousy basketball schools you would have NEVER (even in your down years here) been in the game with you past halftime.

But I never EVER thought I would hear a Nebraska fan try to dismiss the obvious mistake of cutting yourselves off from your traditional rivals and going into football hibernation, by using VOLLEYBALL as reasoning... Admitting there is a problem is usually the first step boys.

And the bad thing is, you were the ones who set the whole thing in motion.

Purdue and Indiana and Northwestern arent suddenly "big name programs"... They are still the bugs you squashed without a second thought 10 years ago. YOU have changed, not them. Now Iowa gets to talk smack to you... IOWA!

Yes.
I know a lot of dorks like to fight this but...NO FAN CARES about the money, that is such a stupid argument.

The conferences were not all going to implode...lame argument

The travel was way better for fans

and WE ****ING LIKED IT!

LOL, and you live in a world of rainbows, lollipops, and peaches. You naive enough to think the Nebraska administration made their decision based on the fans "liking the Big 12 better" and because the "travel was way better". Hell, Nebraska still is one of the best traveling fan bases in college football.

LOL, and you live in a world of rainbows, lollipops, and peaches. You naive enough to think the Nebraska administration made their decision based on the fans "liking the Big 12 better" and because the "travel was way better". Hell, Nebraska still is one of the best traveling fan bases in college football.

Ummm, I do live in a world of rainbows, lollipops and peaches, those are all real things. You...you do know that, right? You ummmm, you also live in that world.

And no, I don't think the NU administration made their decision based on that, if they did, NU would be in the Big 12 still. They made the decision based on what they thought was best for the school.

Ummm, I do live in a world of rainbows, lollipops and peaches, those are all real things. You...you do know that, right? You ummmm, you also live in that world.

And no, I don't think the NU administration made their decision based on that, if they did, NU would be in the Big 12 still. They made the decision based on what they thought was best for the school.

Money talks dude. Nebraska is now getting a $30 million check annually from the Big Ten Network. There's your answer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT