ADVERTISEMENT

Warren Nolan RPI at 44

RobsterMobster

Administrator
Jan 5, 2010
Dropped 10 spots after losing to a team with an even worse RPI (Here). Keep in mind we dropped more than 20 spots sweeping Charleston since their RPI is very bad.

The Huskers won't play many teams with a great RPI the rest of the season. Indiana and Michigan State are the only teams currently with Top 50 RPIs that we will play the rest of the year. It is expected those will also drop as the season goes on as they play lesser schedules here on out. Possibly KSU moves into the Top 50?

With that said it is becoming apparent that we will need to win as close to 40 games as possible to make a regional. If we get hot at the end of the year or win the Big Ten we should be ok but nothing is gauranteed unless we start winning now.

We will probably need to take 3/4 games this weekend since they are on the road and taking 2/3 at Indiana will be crucial. Winning games against a team with a worse RPI (especially at home) is pretty much a must. Seven more losses puts us at 38-16 going into tourney play, assuming we don't make up the 2 cancelled games and no other games are cancelled.

May be a year we need to win the Big Ten Tourney or go deep to feel safe. The bright side is every game is winnable and we don't have many juggernauts on the schedule. The best probably being Michigans State and maybe Indiana. Creighton and Omaha should be 5 gimme wins as well. KSU is usually a challenge but we should win both games.

We will most likely need to win 3/4 this weekend, sweep Creighton/Omaha/KSU. A loss to KSU may be ok since their RPI will most likely get better. Sweep Rutgers and Penn State. Take 2/3 from Indiana, Maryland, Iowa, Minny, OSU, and Michigan State, or essentially win 12 games combined against those teams. That puts us at about 7-8 more losses which is probably what we will want going into the Big Ten Tourney. Add 2-3 wins there and I think we are good.

Still a lot of baseball to play but we are making it harder on ourselves than we honestly should be. Let's just hope our best baseball is in front of us.

Time to start winning some games and it starts this weekend.

GBR!

Reactions: k9_r and saluno22
Seven more losses puts us at 38-16 going into tourney play

37-16

We began the year with a 55 game schedule. Don't know why but that's it. We have 35 games left.

We have dug ourselves a hole here in the early going and find ourselves needing to win a helluva lot of games now.

One caveat - March RPIs are pretty much meaningless.

37-16

We began the year with a 55 game schedule. Don't know why but that's it. We have 35 games left.

We have dug ourselves a hole here in the early going and find ourselves needing to win a helluva lot of games now.

I don't necessarily agree that the RPI is meaningless right now. Sure, we are only a third of the way into the regular season but for a team that has very little "good" games remaining we have a very tough hill to climb. We have 34 games left on the schedule and half of those games will come against teams with a losing record right now.

37-16

I don't necessarily agree that the RPI is meaningless right now. Sure, we are only a third of the way into the regular season but for a team that has very little "good" games remaining we have a very tough hill to climb. We have 34 games left on the schedule and half of those games will come against teams with a losing record right now.
This is where my concern comes in to play. Normally Creighton, KSU, and a few other Big Ten teams will help you throughout the season but that doesn't seem to be the case this year. Even the win on the road last night only bumped us up to 88 for RPI. Thank goodness we don't play Northwestern and Purdue this year.

It's somewhat bad luck because we scheduled Charleston and two Big West teams but who'd a thought they'd all be the worst teams in their conferences this year? At the same time we haven't done ourselves any favors.

Reactions: saluno22
37-16

IF we played in a better league I might agree an early RPI is meaningless. Not the case here and we are already in trouble.

Only way we will make a regional this year is to get hot at the right time and win the tournament. This team has shown nothing to date that would allow us to get anywhere near 40 wins with what remains.

IF we played in a better league I might agree an early RPI is meaningless. Not the case here and we are already in trouble.

All is not lost. We played very well to beat one of the country's best pitchers last night. Our RPI improved seven spots in spite of playing a team with a losing record. If we manage to sweep Cal Poly it will improve much more. Even into the 60s or low 70s. That's a big move.

This is why early RPIs are meaningless. Huge volatility. These type moves don't happen in late April/May. Plenty of time left.

Only way we will make a regional this year is to get hot at the right time and win the tournament. This team has shown nothing to date that would allow us to get anywhere near 40 wins with what remains.

I don't agree with this. We played really well last night and in other games too. It's enough to give hope. Too early to give up. Get back to me in late April and maybe I can agree with you then.

All is not lost. We played very well to beat one of the country's best pitchers last night. Our RPI improved seven spots in spite of playing a team with a losing record. If we manage to sweep Cal Poly it will improve much more. Even into the 60s or low 70s. That's a big move.

This is why early RPIs are meaningless. Huge volatility. These type moves don't happen in late April/May. Plenty of time left.

I don't agree with this. We played really well last night and in other games too. It's enough to give hope. Too early to give up. Get back to me in late April and maybe I can agree with you then.
There is no giving up, but 1 game or even a few games over the first 19 are not enough for me think this isnt anything more than another typical DE team that is capable of going on runs, but loses far too many games against lessor competition.

There is no giving up, but 1 game or even a few games over the first 19 are not enough for me to think this isn't anything more than another typical DE team that is capable of going on runs but loses far too many games against lesser competition.
Just trying to hang onto hope. This is DE's best roster yet and, so far, results are disappointing. We've seen a few games showing that they do have 'game' in them. There still is time enough to put it together for a good season. I wait, I watch.

RPI is now at 109 going into today's double header. Odds are on the side of splitting a double header but we will need to wake the bats up and win both of them today. Then get back to Haymarket park to start making up some ground with KSU.

I honestly feel the only chance at a regional this year is a conference tourney championship. I would have never thought that this program would be this low at this point. Crazy

Like k9_r has said, it is too early to get to up or down but it's not looking good unless we can tear through the Big Ten.

Really no excuse not to make a regional with the talent that returned so I'm hoping they go on a tear to end the year.

Now at 94. Still a lot of ground to make up but one bright side is we play Indiana on the road who has a RPI of 29. Win 2/3 and that would probably bump us into the low 80's or so. Like I said before, we just have to win a lot of games, no way around it.

Now at 94. Still a lot of ground to make up but one bright side is we play Indiana on the road who has an RPI of 29. Win 2/3 and that would probably bump us into the low 80's or so. Like I said before, we just have to win a lot of games, no way around it.

We badly need to go on a winning jag. Thirty games left and 22+ wins would get us to a .660+ record. That could be enough depending on B1G tourney play.

There is some good news on the RPI front. Our opponents in front of us have a combined winning record (.521). This is only slightly worse than the opponents behind us (.538). This means we shouldn't take much of an SOS hit going forward which is great b/c we've been hit hard lately in that department. Four of our previous opponents have been tanking lately and that's been a large part of our RPI fall. The biggest part, actually.

Riverside, Utah, W Carolina and Charleston are a combined 10-30 in their last ten games, oof. Potential good news is that maybe they will get back to winning which would boost us quite a bit. Hopefully.

Now at 94. Still a lot of ground to make up but one bright side is we play Indiana on the road who has a RPI of 29. Win 2/3 and that would probably bump us into the low 80's or so. Like I said before, we just have to win a lot of games, no way around it.
Indiana fan here. Looking forward to the Huskers coming to Bloomington. It should be a good series. I became a college baseball fan since going to Omaha when IU was in the CWS. With Nebraska being the BIG school that takes baseball seriously I regularly visit this site for information. Your passion for college baseball is evident. Indiana's passion is growing. Our pitching is young but the bats have finally come around which was not the case early in the season.
Looking forward to chatting with some "sker" fans this weekend. Safe travels.

Indiana fan here. Looking forward to the Huskers coming to Bloomington. It should be a good series. I became a college baseball fan since going to Omaha when IU was in the CWS. With Nebraska being the BIG school that takes baseball seriously I regularly visit this site for information. Your passion for college baseball is evident. Indiana's passion is growing. Our pitching is young but the bats have finally come around which was not the case early in the season.
Looking forward to chatting with some "sker" fans this weekend. Safe travels.

Awesome deal, come back and share at anytime. The early and mid 2000's somewhat gave us Husker fans all that itch we are all hoping to repeat again. Like you, we had a great coach head to warmer climates but that want to get back to the CWS never goes away.

Hopefully that Indiana interest grows because it is a lot more fun when other teams fans care. haha Indiana started out how many northern teams have and that's slowly, unfortunately northern teams like Nebraska and Indiana don't have the luxury of playing a lot outdoors to simulate that live action like southern teams.

We had two early games cancelled and then played against the best of the best down in Texas for a tourney. Hopefully we are finally settling in and will have a good series with you all this weekend. Hard to tell because we started out on a sour note and need a ton of wins going forward to make up for it. Indiana is in great position right now RPI wise and feel it will be a great test for both teams.

Have fun this weekend and don't hesitate to offer your perspective about the games/series for those of us that won't be there in attendance.

Sitting on RPI 74 this morning. We got a huge SOS bump when our prior opponents went 9-3 in their 12 games yesterday. Hope we all keep it going.

Sitting on RPI 74 this morning. We got a huge SOS bump when our prior opponents went 9-3 in their 12 games yesterday. Hope we all keep it going.
That is huge if those teams start to put it together. At the same rate, just win so we control our own destiny.

Figured I'd just update the subject line throughout the season gong forward. We are now at 48. Oddly enough Maryland also went up today after th loss. Losing on the road is better than at home for sure.

Boom! Make that 45! Some prior west coast teams we faced must have won some games.

Boom! Make that 45! Some prior west coast teams we faced must have won some games.
Not Riverside nor Utah. Those two went 0/7 this week. But all together, our prior opponents had a decent week going 55-38 which boosted our SOS a bit.

Not Riverside nor Utah. Those two went 0/7 this week. But all together, our prior opponents had a decent week going 55-38 which boosted our SOS a bit.
Indiana also jumped back into the Top 50 which may have helped too.

I'm no expert on RPI but doesn't having three games against the Big 12--two wins, one on the road--provide a boost? It's currently the #1 RPI conference.

I'm no expert on RPI but doesn't having three games against the Big 12--two wins, one on the road--provide a boost? It's currently the #1 RPI conference.

Remember that RPI is a simple math formula it doesn't really care about your opponents RPI, just their W/L record. So, tangentially, yes, Big 12 opponents are good b/c they're winning a lot of games.

But we got a nice big SOS bump last night b/c our opponents went 10-2 on the night. Can't count on that going forward, though, since these things always revert to the norm. Was a good night for us, at any rate.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
We are at 50 so luckily our past opponents faired well. Which also sucks because a win would have bumped us up a ton. The crappy thing is we just can't find a way to gain ground. We tend to shoot ourselves in the foot as soon as we do.

Reactions: regionsdoc
Up a couple spots to 41. Overall gained 9 spots this week which is a good climb. Imagine if we would have beat creighton?

15 left i think. IF we can go 10-5 (or better) would think we are sitting st 33 (or +) wins and an RPI in mid to upper 30's . Gonna be interesting.

15 left i think. IF we can go 10-5 (or better) would think we are sitting st 33 (or +) wins and an RPI in mid to upper 30's . Gonna be interesting.
If we can get ourselves around 35 we will be a shoe in for a regional. Not an easy feet though.

Wasn't UNC left out last year as a Top-20 RPI team?
Yes, but being in a conference (ACC and SEC) that all bring top RPI's the expectations are more on W-L record and where they finish in the standings. Nebraska getting a 35 RPI is like having a Top 15 RPI in the ACC or SEC from what I've been told so the standards in RPI aren't as high. Same could be said about hosting a regional.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT