ADVERTISEMENT

USC/UCLA Official Members of the Big 10 in 2024!!

I can see the SEC wanting UNC, South Carolina, Clemson and Florida State. I think Miami gets left out.
I would love to see Miami get left out, but I highly doubt it. With their football history, market, academic prestige, and recruiting grounds they are gonna be on top of a wish list. Now that paying players is legal you can be sure Miami will be done with their self imposed concentration of cleaning up their image. It would be crazy, but what if the B1G wants to get into Florida. FSU doesn't have the academics, and Florida would never leave the SEC. I could see Miami getting a call from either of the two relevant conferences. North Carolina will have to leave Duke, but they will be called. Clemson is already an SEC team imo. Florida State chickened out decades ago when they were invited into the SEC.

No, I love the fact it won't cost me an arm and a leg to watch a team I've been rooting for most of all my life and I'm seventy. Well, I know I've never laughed at the BIG, it has produced so many great All American's and Hall of Fame players from the NFL.

Scoff all you want but the value of the BIG has just gone through the roof and Nebraska will be able to enjoy the rewards both financial, educationally and sharing the market value (TV) by belonging to the greatest conference in college football. By the way now you get to watch BIG football played on the west coast so you will have to stay up a bit late on some Saturdays.
Or they won't be night games on the west coast so teams can get home

Over the years, some people have bemoaned Nebraska's move from the Big 12 to the B1G but that decision looks smarter and smarter as every year goes by. Today we probably wouldn't get an invite into the B1G and we'd be left stranded out there with the other Big 12 midgets with a much smaller media payout.

I get the nostalgia some people have for old rivals but in the end what could be more important than survival by being a member in one of the two likely super conferences. All of those Big 12 midgets would kill to be in our shoes.

I actually wonder if Oregon could potentially be left out. If they are chasing TV markets, you could own most of the west coast with just LA and Seattle. Portland is more of a "nice to have" than "must have". Oregon is pretty good in football now (and for about the last 15 years or so), but one wonders if the league is willing to make a 100 year bet on a school that could be in the football dark ages at any time after a bad hire or two.

My top targets would probably be Notre Dame, Washington and North Carolina (adding north carolina would bring the B1G brand into the South). I could see them considering Cal, Stanford, and I'll throw in Virginia as elite academic schools. I personally would rather add any one of those rather than Missouri, but Missouri does have two major midwest TV markets and those other schools are more or less doubling down on footprints in the B1G's back pocket.
I'd like to have Missouri back just because I hate those guys and want to play them every year.

Reactions: RedBaloneyPony
I'd like to have Missouri back just because I hate those guys and want to play them every year.
Missouri might be the one SEC team that would be willing to jump but I don't think they'd get offered.

That will be interesting how TV and Warren use these time slots…

Don’t see any 11:00 am home games for both schools and maybe FOX will decide to put their big game(s) at 2:30 and compete with CBS/SEC game..
Although it's very likely, there's no guarantee YET that Fox will have those games to broadcast. New media contract could have some surprises now with a new round of bidding to take place. Even streamers like Apple are jumping into the fray. And IF (that's a big IF) Notre Dame decides to jump in, everything could be in play for broadcast rights.

U can see where this is heading. Two major super conferences with "4" divisions each. Each division would have 5 to 6 teams. Winner of each division makes the playoffs. My bet is that leads to an "8" team playoff. 1st Round occurs in early December. Semifinals in and around New Years Day with Championship game just like today. Each year it will be the BIG vs SEC for National Championship.

My guess would be the divisions would be location specific except for Notre Dame. If they expand to 24 teams add a few more ACC teams plus another PAC 12 team. Each Division rotates through the other Divisions on a yearly basis.

20 Team: BIG Divisions Example
West Division: Notre Dame, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC
Central Division #1: Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Wisconsin
Central Division #2: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, MSU, Purdue,
East Division: Maryland, North Carolina, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers

U can see where this is heading. Two major super conferences with "4" divisions each. Each division would have 5 to 6 teams. Winner of each division makes the playoffs. My bet is that leads to an "8" team playoff. 1st Round occurs in early December. Semifinals in and around New Years Day with Championship game just like today. Each year it will be the BIG vs SEC for National Championship.

My guess would be the divisions would be location specific except for Notre Dame. If they expand to 24 teams add a few more ACC teams plus another PAC 12 team. Each Division rotates through the other Divisions on a yearly basis.

20 Team: BIG Divisions Example
West Division: Notre Dame, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC
Central Division #1: Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Wisconsin
Central Division #2: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, MSU, Purdue,
East Division: Maryland, North Carolina, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers
Midwest division
Mideast division

Big12, ACC and Pac10 (now) wouldn’t be going away..

First thing needs to happen is expanding the playoff to 8 teams..

The B1G will NOT add anyone else until Notre Dame decides if they will join. Here are the two main options when we go to 20 teams:

1). Add (most likely)
Notre Dame. (Nationwide audience)
Washington (Seattle tv market)
Oregon (Nike and brand)
Stanford. (San Francisco market) or

2). Add
Colorado. (Denver market)
Washington
Oregon
Stanford

The only other teams that could get consideration instead of Stanford and Colorado would be Arizona St. (Phoenix market) and potentially Utah (Salt Lake City). IMO

Reactions: BleedRed78
If the Big 10 is going to take a school from the San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose area I think it would be just Stanford.

Stanford is one of the best academic institutions in the country, has solid athletic programs, and allows the Big 10 into one of the largest media markets in the country. I do not think they need both schools at this point.

To me Stanford is the bigger play in that area.
And would make ND very happy.

Just satisfy the wet dream of all the Original Big Ten snobs and segregate the "adjunct schools" (yes, that's a term I hear in Hell, er Iowa) into another 10-team division.

Big 10 Original Recipe
Illini, Hoosiers, Bumblebees, Badgers, Gophers, Wildcats, Wolverines, THE Buckeyes, Spartans and Boilers.
Big 10 Extra Crispy
Scarlet Knights, Terrapins, Nittanies, Huskers, Bruins, Trojans, Irish, Ducks, Huskies and Cardinal.

That's not a Nebraska problem. That's a Scott Frost problem. If Riley can recruit Calibraska then so can the current HC at DONU. This may be Frost's last year, so it may not be his problem for long.
Kids want to play in the conferences that matter and play in front of the home crowds. Yes, winning and NFL matter a bunch but if a school appears to be in a dying conference that will affect recruiting. Nebraska can now tell California recruits they'll be playing in the good conference that matters and in front of mom and dad at least one game a season.
You won't be good without the Jimmies and the Joes. Nebraska just got a major recruiting gift and even the president of the university said as much.
Plus playing in Cali will be a fun change of pace.

From a football perspective, agree. But they are arguably the top public university in the country and the Big 10 cares about that stuff. If the Big 10 would consider Rutgers, they would consider Cal.
I think Cal is a lesser priority. Stanford, Wash, and Oregon are the three most desirable to fill out a 20 school conference (which seems to be a coming outcome).

I can guarantee that the Purdue and Indiana players will be super excited to be playing in California - the USC and UCLA players will be equally as pissed off to be spending a cold gray November weekend in west Lafayette or East Lansing

Hope they bring their cheerleaders to away games.
Got my picture taken with them and Trojan band members when they were in Lincoln during Callahan era. No I can't post them because don't know where the heck they are right now

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Read a report today that UCLA's athletic department has a deficit of $102.8 M. The deficit is due to reduced revenues during covid and having some low-revenue Olympic sports. The situation sounds similar to when Maryland joined the conference. Not sure if this was reported earlier in the thread.

Reactions: sandiegohawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT