ADVERTISEMENT

USC/UCLA Official Members of the Big 10 in 2024!!

I think this move ratchets up the pressure on Frost and Hoiberg. There will be way too much money on the table to keep underperforming coaches around.
Yeah, this really is a professional League. Take all of your native born sons and throw that crap out the window. Pay top tier money for the best coaches and assistants. You're only renting them anyways.

Not sure what UCLA adds to the conference. Oregon, Stanford or Kansas might have been a better choice.

Reactions: headcard
Not sure what UCLA adds to the conference. Oregon, Stanford or Kansas might have been a better choice.
These leagues have very little to do with the actual teams themselves. It's all about concentrating markets and viewership.

Nebraska was smart to get in when they had a chance, because fast forward a few years and I don't think we are on too many dance cards. It's been too long since we were relevant in football. We're basically Illinois with a better fan base. Crossing my fingers they don't kick us to the curb.

I think this move ratchets up the pressure on Frost and Hoiberg. There will be way too much money on the table to keep underperforming coaches around.
Or the amount of money one gets for just existing as a member of the conference is so astronomical that the incremental increase that winning adds becomes more and more negligible

may further dilute the pure financial incentive of winning - conference payout is the same whether you are at the top or bottom

fortunately there is no shortage of egos to lean on to promote winning

Last edited:
Reactions: grayhairedfreak
So that was not my post it was from another site...

My guess is they mean that NU was allowed in because they were so good at football but now they are bad??
The article you posted is what tuco said right below your response. I just wanted to know if knew....which you didn't. The article you posted is wrong in that respect. We were AAU member until fellow b1g members voted us out on a bogus technicality

The move with UCLA and USC moving to the B1G just might cause Notre Dame to rethink being independent and wanting in the conference..

Reactions: BleedRed78
The move with UCLA and USC moving to the B1G just might cause Notre Dame to rethink being independent and wanting in the conference..
Up until now the money they received was far more being independent than as a member of a conference. That gap is being narrowed considerably and once the financials are favorable they will join a conference. I’m sure they are actively trying to extract more money from NBC by leveraging the possibility of join the big as we speak

Notre Dame is going to have to join a conference sooner than later, and as another OP said , the one with the Michigan schools and USC might be a deal closer.

The article you posted is what tuco said right below your response. I just wanted to know if knew....which you didn't. The article you posted is wrong in that respect. We were AAU member until fellow b1g members voted us out on a bogus technicality
Yep!

Up until now the money they received was far more being independent than as a member of a conference. That gap is being narrowed considerably and once the financials are favorable they will join a conference. I’m sure they are actively trying to extract more money from NBC by leveraging the possibility of join the big as we speak
Better check the figures from 2016 -2018, the annual revenue was about 100 million plus 15 million/ year from NBC , that’s 145 Over three years , Nebraska makes gets 54 million/ year from the big.

I think the thing Notre Dame has to weigh vs. staying independent now is that they may get froze out of scheduling opportunities and a playoff slot if two super conferences emerge to become dominant. The B1G clearly has more of their traditional rivals than the SEC. And the ACC can't keep up with the B1G and SEC; it may itself get poached one of these days.

Better check the figures from 2016 -2018, the annual revenue was about 100 million plus 15 million/ year from NBC , that’s 145 Over three years , Nebraska makes gets 54 million/ year from the big.
I meant total 3 year revenue was 100 million not annual, sorry!

I think the thing Notre Dame has to weigh vs. staying independent now is that they may get froze out of scheduling opportunities and a playoff slot if two super conferences emerge to become dominant. The B1G clearly has more of their traditional rivals than the SEC. And the ACC can't keep up with the B1G and SEC; it may itself get poached one of these days.
Agree , and in my other post, clearly ND is not making more money than Nebraska or even Purdue right now , It’s time to get off the high horse.

Seriously, this is about the 20th post I have seen about Big Ten academics.

Why would the Big10 want either AZ school? Neither is up to Big10 academic standards. Phoenix as a city watches pro sports. AZ has good basketball teams (which evidence indicates they payed for). Tuscon is nuts for AZ basketball. Tuscon is not Phoenix.

Oregon isn't up to the Big10 academic standards either. They also were under scrutiny for paying players pre-NIL. Even with these two strikes, it would not surprise me if they got a Nebraska exception despite our seeing how well that one worked out. I wonder how much we would have to pay Nebraska to move back to the Big12. The improvements in brand and profits might be worth it.

One news report (Norlander?) said that June 30th was the last day that a team could leave the Pac12 without financial penalties. That makes this announcement timing very interesting if the Big10 really was after additional Pac12 schools. I would have expected the first few last week, so that the others could announce by today.
Um, AZ, Washington, and Oregon are all AAU schools. Nebraska is not.

Um, AZ, Washington, and Oregon are all AAU schools. Nebraska is not.

Ok…

Nebraska was an AAU member when they entered the Big 10 Conference. They were voted out “AFTER” already being a member of the conference. Time to move on from this.

captain-america-here-we-go-again.gif

What you're going to have here, is a Blue and a Red conference.

Nebraska should be in the Red conference, but it isn't.

The B1G just added a whole lot more Blue.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
I really do not see how politics is a key factor in conference realignment.

Here are the 2 main factors…

ESPN- SEC
FOX- Big 10

This is a competition between 2 media empires going against each other…it truly is that simple.

Last edited:
I really do not see how politics is a key factor in conference realignment.

Here are the 2 main factors…

ESPN- SEC
FOX- Big 10

This is a competition between 2 media empires going against each other…it truly is that simple.
I don't care if it's a factor in conference realignment or which media empires are going against one another.. All I care about is Nebraska, and it's been an issue once before already, and it could become one again.

I would rather be in the right fit, then being threatened to be kicked out, every time there is a disagreement in policy or an inherent situation where Nebraska can no longer be ourselves, which has already sort of happened.

I would much prefer being in the SEC.

Reactions: king_kong_
I don't care if it's a factor in conference realignment or which media empires are going against one another.. All I care about is Nebraska, and it's been an issue once before already, and it could become one again.

I would rather be in the right fit, then being threatened to be kicked out, every time there is a disagreement in policy or an inherent situation where Nebraska can no longer be ourselves, which has already sort of happened.

I would much prefer being in the SEC.
There is certainly nothing stopping us from applying for membership in the big12 with our old rivals Iowa State, Kansas, KSU, ok State or the remainder of the PAC 12 I’m sure they would love to have us

There is certainly nothing stopping us from applying for membership in the big12 with our old rivals Iowa State, Kansas, KSU, ok State or the remainder of the PAC 12 I’m sure they would love to have us
You must have a problem with reading comprehension. Did you even read the last line?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT