ADVERTISEMENT

USC/UCLA Official Members of the Big 10 in 2024!!

what should happen is the big ten and pac 12 basically merge into an east (B1G Ten) and west (pac twelve) divisions of a single conference, each team gets six games within their division and three crossover games so for example for nebraska we could play iowa wisconsin minnesota ohio state michigan penn state for divisional games and then for crossovers usc oregon washington or something like that.

then the conference championship game would be played somewhere halfway in between, i would propose mile high stadium in denver
gasp, no 02

What you're going to have here, is a Blue and a Red conference.

Nebraska should be in the Red conference, but it isn't.

The B1G just added a whole lot more Blue.
True very true 👍 👌 👏 😄

It's all about the TV markets and the money they will bring in. I'm sure the BIG would love to have the west coast market and it's value, I could see this happening.

It's all about the TV markets and the money they will bring in. I'm sure the BIG would love to have the west coast market and it's value, I could see this happening.
Yes. A bit surprised that they would say no to the Seattle (Washington) and Portland (Oregon) markets

I hope USC and ucla get the Nebraska treatment and have to play Minnesota Wisconsin and NU on the road in November

Shit. Nebraska is tropical compared to a place like Ann Arbor. Going to be interesting at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
This may be good for the B1G and possibly good for Nebraska (and therefore, the world). But it is another step that is bad for CFB as a whole. Lots of programs going to be left in the cold.
Lots of programs WILL be cold ... at Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska in November.

If this has already been mentioned my apologies. When texas and oklahoma joined the SEC this was most likely going to happen, expand or bust! Now it will be interesting to see what Notre Dame will do, join or get left behind $$$$$$$$$.

As a resident of Orange County Ca. I love the fact I will be able to see the Huskers play in Southern California and look forward to making a trip to Lincoln to see them play one of these schools. We are going to enjoy the opportunity to recruit the west cost and it will pay off provided our coaches don't screw it up. One final thought, these two schools will now have to play BIG TEN style football and in the cold, I hope Lincoln Riley and Chip Kelly are up for it.

Reactions: TFrazier
As a resident of Orange County Ca. I love the fact I will be able to see the Huskers play in Southern California and look forward to making a trip to Lincoln to see them play one of these schools. We are going to enjoy the opportunity to recruit the west cost and it will pay off provided our coaches don't screw it up. One final thought, these two schools will now have to play BIG TEN style football and in the cold, I hope Lincoln Riley and Chip Kelly are up for it.
You mean...super lame boring and no fun?

I hope they are not up for it.

This conference is the same conference we laughed at for years. Then we joined it and it sucked the life out of football for us as well.

You seem to have forgotten "fit" issues, especially the whole "we want to play" rebellion when the B1G commish shut everything down unilaterally.
You bring up a decent point (though I wish there was more centrists in general, or a third legitimate political party to balance the two).

However, I think this goes bigger. Like, the two superconferences separate from the academic model (or offer a different kind of accreditation or something) and is more of a legal, non amateur feeder league for the NFL. The rest of the teams will still fill the traditional model. At least it seems it's heading that way. We'll see...

Reactions: NikkiSixx
You mean...super lame boring and no fun?

I hope they are not up for it.

This conference is the same conference we laughed at for years. Then we joined it and it sucked the life out of football for us as well.
No, I love the fact it won't cost me an arm and a leg to watch a team I've been rooting for most of all my life and I'm seventy. Well, I know I've never laughed at the BIG, it has produced so many great All American's and Hall of Fame players from the NFL.

Scoff all you want but the value of the BIG has just gone through the roof and Nebraska will be able to enjoy the rewards both financial, educationally and sharing the market value (TV) by belonging to the greatest conference in college football. By the way now you get to watch BIG football played on the west coast so you will have to stay up a bit late on some Saturdays.

If this happens and the remnants of the Big 12 and Pac 12 merge we should absolutely ditch the B1G and join that conference. We need to get our midwestern identity back. Go back to playing teams from Kansas, Iowa, Colorado, Oklahoma, etc. Who cares about the B1G money when we're a rudderless ship in this conference...
You probably should rethink your last sentence.

Last edited:
No, I love the fact it won't cost me an arm and a leg to watch a team I've been rooting for most of all my life and I'm seventy. Well, I know I've never laughed at the BIG, it has produced so many great All American's and Hall of Fame players from the NFL.

Scoff all you want but the value of the BIG has just gone through the roof and Nebraska will be able to enjoy the rewards both financial, educationally and sharing the market value (TV) by belonging to the greatest conference in college football. By the way now you get to watch BIG football played on the west coast so you will have to stay up a bit late on some Saturdays.
Everyone posting here laughed!

"Texas speed"

Yes. A bit surprised that they would say no to the Seattle (Washington) and Portland (Oregon) markets
They're after Notre Dame first before any other members are added. Obviously they think they have a chance at Notre Dame now and will wait for an answer from them before doing anything else. Doesn't mean Washington and Oregon are out, just means they're not ready to make a decision on those two yet.

They're after Notre Dame first before any other members are added. Obviously they think they have a chance at Notre Dame now and will wait for an answer from them before doing anything else. Doesn't mean Washington and Oregon are out, just means they're not ready to make a decision on those two yet.
On the latest Frank the Tank post replies they think basically this. My guess is Stanford\Cal\Oregon\UW are possibilities.

Reactions: TFrazier
From a football perspective, agree. But they are arguably the top public university in the country and the Big 10 cares about that stuff. If the Big 10 would consider Rutgers, they would consider Cal.

If the Big 10 is going to take a school from the San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose area I think it would be just Stanford.

Stanford is one of the best academic institutions in the country, has solid athletic programs, and allows the Big 10 into one of the largest media markets in the country. I do not think they need both schools at this point.

To me Stanford is the bigger play in that area.

I actually wonder if Oregon could potentially be left out. If they are chasing TV markets, you could own most of the west coast with just LA and Seattle. Portland is more of a "nice to have" than "must have". Oregon is pretty good in football now (and for about the last 15 years or so), but one wonders if the league is willing to make a 100 year bet on a school that could be in the football dark ages at any time after a bad hire or two.

My top targets would probably be Notre Dame, Washington and North Carolina (adding north carolina would bring the B1G brand into the South). I could see them considering Cal, Stanford, and I'll throw in Virginia as elite academic schools. I personally would rather add any one of those rather than Missouri, but Missouri does have two major midwest TV markets and those other schools are more or less doubling down on footprints in the B1G's back pocket.

You bring up a decent point (though I wish there was more centrists in general, or a third legitimate political party to balance the two).

However, I think this goes bigger. Like, the two superconferences separate from the academic model (or offer a different kind of accreditation or something) and is more of a legal, non amateur feeder league for the NFL. The rest of the teams will still fill the traditional model. At least it seems it's heading that way. We'll see...

I don't think people are fully comprehending what the corporatization of football will mean generally. We're rapidly approaching and AFC/NFC type of situation, and even assuming there is a national "shutdown level" event on the horizon alot of hometown hoorah and gumption and politics isn't going to hold much sway.

College football as a series of 5-10 "leagues that matter" had room for local personality and coalitions of the willing to find some kind of semi-defendable quorum. College football as a corporation of 2 "leagues that matter" is non-viable in a given season if the B1G decides to sit out.

If the Big 10 is going to take a school from the San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose area I think it would be just Stanford.

Stanford is one of the best academic institutions in the country, has solid athletic programs, and allows the Big 10 into one of the largest media markets in the country. I do not think they need both schools at this point.

The dream scenario geographically is probably Notre Dame, Washington, North Carolina, and somehow pulling a big school from Texas (but this I get this not at all likely).

I do believe we'd take Stanford over Cal, and we absolutely only need one.

Plus the conference will win national championships at tiddlywinks and row boating or whatever obscure sports only Stanford cares about. I kind of see Cal like UCLA, a top public institution they can add like they mostly have in the rest of they conference. There could also be a political angle - not sure how it's going to look if Cal is basically in the Mountain West conference after the dust settles. Supposedly there are political rumblings in Oregon and Washington about potentially hanging OSU and Wazzou out to dry. Cal is the least likely of the four I mentioned but I wouldn't count them out.

Plus the conference will win national championships at tiddlywinks and row boating or whatever obscure sports only Stanford cares about. I kind of see Cal like UCLA, a top public institution they can add like they mostly have in the rest of they conference. There could also be a political angle - not sure how it's going to look if Cal is basically in the Mountain West conference after the dust settles. Supposedly there are political rumblings in Oregon and Washington about potentially hanging OSU and Wazzou out to dry.
UCLA plays elite level basketball from time to time. Cal is one of those schools we'd be taking because they are a good school or some other angle, not on the strength of high level sports play.

UCLA plays elite level basketball from time to time. Cal is one of those schools we'd be taking because they are a good school or some other angle, not on the strength of high level sports play.
Yup. Recall that politics got Baylor into the Big12. If 3 of the 4 California PAC 12 schools end up in the Big 10, I think there would be a push to get Cal in too.

Yup. Recall that politics got Baylor into the Big12. If 3 of the 4 California PAC 12 schools end up in the Big 10, I think there would be a push to get Cal in too.
Yes Ann Richards got Baylor in the big 12, she was the one and only reason they got in !

It was always rumored that the Governor at the time, Ann Richards loudly insisted (especially after drinking) Baylor be included with the three Texas public schools joining the Big 8 (TT, UT, A&M). Looking back, her interference doesn't appear to have happened. It was more like a Baylor alum state senator got together with a TT alum state senator and they got the senate to hammer out a package deal with TT, Baylor, UT and A&M.

UCLA and USC have already stated they are leaving the PAC 12 and been accepted to the B1G. USC may not have had to get anybody's permission, but I assume UCLA had to get somebody in the California Department of Education to approve it. To be analogous to the Baylor situation, Gavin Newsome or other politicians would have had to held up UCLA (and possibly USC) going to the B1G until Stanford and Cal were included. But since the USC/UCLA ship has sailed, it doesn't appear the California politicians have leverage and they probably don't care.

Ok…

Nebraska was an AAU member when they entered the Big 10 Conference. They were voted out “AFTER” already being a member of the conference. Time to move on from this.

captain-america-here-we-go-again.gif
What difference does that make? @SuperBigFan said AZ and UO weren't up to BIG academic standards. I replied that both were AAU, as is WA.

I've been reading a few Kansas boards and now I hope they get left out. Hopefully Trev lobbies to keep them out.

Reactions: drubendall
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT