ADVERTISEMENT

Urban - 75% of time recruiting

mkbrkloster

Senior
Jan 27, 2005
  • Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
That may not be a real number, but an emphasis on how much time it does take. Like "I told you a million times not to overexaggerate."

A buddy now coaches NAIA and he is learning how much time it takes to recruit at that level. He was accustomed to having a Christmas break when teaching coaching HS, but he said, it doesn't work that way in college. His experience and it is his first year as an Associate Head Coach/OL.

Reactions: huskerfan66
That may not be a real number, but an emphasis on how much time it does take. Like "I told you a million times not to overexaggerate."

A buddy now coaches NAIA and he is learning how much time it takes to recruit at that level. He was accustomed to having a Christmas break when teaching coaching HS, but he said, it doesn't work that way in college. His experience and it is his first year as an Associate Head Coach/OL.
As Barry Switzer once said, "its not about the X's and O's but rather the Jimmy and Joes". In other words RECRUIT!

Coaching now a days would suck with recruiting. You have to recruit the players on the team with college football free agency in full effect.

coaching nowadays pays more each year than the average american makes in 40 years yeah that must really suck. abolish capitalism
head coaching does. Assistants, not so much. The avg assistant is what 200k? That is probably 2-4 years for most. Your point is still fairly valid though. They get paid more for a reason.

coaching nowadays pays more each year than the average american makes in 40 years yeah that must really suck. abolish capitalism
Yes you are right. It is absurd what Frost has made per win. Win 15 games and make 20+ mil. Must be rough

boy, that will make you depressed fast, lol.
And yet, the head coaches make chicken feed compared to the big CEO's.

The older you get, the less important money is, especially if I already have plenty. Unless you are filthy wealthy, then the object is to obtain as much wealth as possible. I know that for a fact.

I think people don't get what he means.

This is not being out on the road...this is sending texts and making calls to chat with recruits and then hosting them on campus.
And the occasional sleep over

I found it interesting that Urban says that in college, 75% of his time is spent on recruiting. Unless he misspoke, that is 75% of his time. It would be interesting how many head coaches actually do that...including our own.
Frost recruits, but it's a Bo Pelini commitment level. Hell, they took the entire season off from hosting official visits last year.

Waste of time.....why bother when nobody else is better than who we already got. (cough - cough - Joe Burrow)

I found it interesting that Urban says that in college, 75% of his time is spent on recruiting. Unless he misspoke, that is 75% of his time. It would be interesting how many head coaches actually do that...including our own.

recruiting what? coeds?

Not as easy to win when your talent is the same or less that the other teams.

Reactions: vanscottyhusker
Hyperbolic, but the point is true. In college you constantly have to be recruiting. He won in college because for the most part he had more talent than the opposing team every week. In the nfl he found out quickly life isnt fun when you dont

I would say this is true for guys like Urban and Nick Saban.

Let’s be real-Urban wasn’t spending a lot of time game-planning as coach of the Buckeyes. He had very capable assistants to do that.

His value was his “brand” which helped recruiting. I think most college coaches work a lot harder than Urban had to once he became a legendary coach.

Acquisition of talent is the most important component to winning so I believe the number. Now it involves the transfer portal as well.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT