ADVERTISEMENT

Samori Toure

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven

In a Green Bay Packers receiver room garnering a lot of attention this offseason, mostly due to the inexperience at the position, perhaps forgotten about at times is 2022 seventh-round pick Samori Toure. Much of the outside attention is on Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, and three incoming rookies. However, inside Lambeau Field, everyone is taking notice of Toure.

In his one season at Nebraska, Toure was a home run threat, averaging 19.5 yards per catch while ranking 10th in total deep receiving yards, according to PFF.
This offseason we’ve heard GM Brian Gutekunst bring up Samori Toure unprompted when discussing the receiver room. Then Matt LaFleur did it. And most recently, wide receivers coach Jason Vrable while meeting with reporters on Thursday. To put it simply, Toure is turning heads this offseason.

“If you guys would see Samori right now, you wouldn’t even recognize the guy from last year with this growth,” said Vrable. “He’s probably, of everybody, the one that everyone around the building is like ’83 looks unbelievable right now.’ He’s put on 8-10 pounds, he’s worked his butt off, and he’s grown into his own, so you feel comfortable in your own skin. Then you play fast, and you play with confidence, and that’s all you really want.”

This season, Toure’s role is likely to expand. With added weight, that could help him hold up better as a blocker in the run game, an aspect that we know is important to playing the receiver position in this offseason. But he can also provide the Packers with an additional downfield threat.

“I feel like I’ve made a big jump. I think that’s something that’s been consistent with me, even throughout college,” Toure said following OTAs on Wednesday. “I’ve been able to make a lot of progress throughout each year. It’s just a matter of being comfortable in the system…It’s about learning from your mistakes…I think I can build on what I did last year.”
During his lone season in Lincoln, Toure caught 46 passes for 898 yards and five touchdowns.

Toure is planning to follow the same flight path this season for the Packers. The opportunity is there for him and he knows it’s up to him to make the most of those reps.

“I’m grateful for being able to see the field at all last year and for the opportunities that I did have,” Toure said. “Obviously I would have liked more, but that’s my chance this year to build on that and be more involved.”

Toure’s been a playmaker and record-setter at each level. Bet against him at your own risk.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT