ADVERTISEMENT

Union Omaha defeats MLS Chicago Fire

Soccer Fan: Posts stuff about soccer, no one replies about how awesome it is because soccer is lame.
Non-Soccer Fan: Posts funny reply about how lame soccer is.
Soccer Fan: Reads new post, start rubbing hands together and thinks "Oh, it is on now!"

Reactions: leodisflowers
2-2 is a win? How does that work?

were there fans allowed or was this a closed scrimmage type game? Stadium is empty

Regulation ended tied at 2-2. Penalty kicks Omaha won. They keep the 2-2 score for goal differential in league standings so scores are reported as such even if not in the same league.

Soccer is the number one sport in more countries than any other. Millions of Fans love the sport, just because you don’t doesn’t mean you should make fun of a post.

we don’t have anything new to talk about with Husker Football now for months .

I liked the post, it was an amazing accomplishment. It is like Appalachian Stare beating Michigan!

Reactions: OO Snipes
Soccer is the number one sport in more countries than any other. Millions of Fans love the sport, just because you don’t doesn’t mean you should make fun of a post.

I liked the post, it was an amazing accomplishment. It is like Appalachian Stare beating Michigan!
Yeah but people watched that game.

I find soccer to be mildly entertaining, simply because I have a hard time finding a sport I don’t somewhat enjoy. I definitely don’t dislike it, though I do dislike their hipster fans who think they’re sophisticated for watching it.

That said, the only reason it’s the most popular sport worldwide is because it’s the cheapest to play. In the US where every resource is available to play the other major sports, we see the cream rises to the top.

• Love
Reactions: SuperBigFan
I find soccer to be mildly entertaining, simply because I have a hard time finding a sport I don’t somewhat enjoy. I definitely don’t dislike it, though I do dislike their hipster fans who think they’re sophisticated for watching it.

That said, the only reason it’s the most popular sport worldwide is because it’s the cheapest to play. In the US where every resource is available to play the other major sports, we see the cream rises to the top.
I disagree with your statement. The only reason it’s the most popular is it’s the cheapest to play.
The European countries could chose any sport financially , yet they choose Football(soccer) . Travel to Italy some time , the passion for the sport is amazing .

I disagree with your statement. The only reason it’s the most popular is it’s the cheapest to play.
The European countries could chose any sport financially , yet they choose Football(soccer) . Travel to Italy some time , the passion for the sport is amazing .
True but I think that’s due to other factors.

Italy, Germany, Spain, England, etc. aren’t large enough to create a competitive league in each of the major sports. Soccer is the natural choice for them because they can sign players from all over the world to play in their leagues, and they can dominate the game on a world stage.

Their basketball leagues for example could never compete with the NBA, so why try? They’re much happier being a destination for African, South American, and other European soccer talent.

The US on the other hand is siphoned off into its own competitive sphere. We don’t care about reigning supreme over other European countries in a sport because we’re capable of creating our own competition in three major sports all within the borders of our country.

Wow that’s pretty awesome. Didn’t realize Omaha had a team. Might have to take my girls

Well this is America. Football, Basketball and Baseball all were invented here..
Other countries can’t compete with America in these 3 sports..

Soccer is boring plan and simple.

Cricket is cited as the second most popular sport in the world with Field Hockey 3rd (I think)

Yet...we don't see those fans freaking out and shoving in down the throats of non-fans.

Yep...there are clearly countries that are really well off that love soccer but look at the eastern european countries that struggle...it is all soccer.

I actually think an MLS team in Omaha would do very well.
I think they'd need a real stadium if that were to happen. One thought is to put some dollars into Werner to make it a real soccer stadium as opposed to a baseball stadium that moonlights as a soccer field. The stormchasers could actually move downtown to Schwab, since it sits idle most of the time.

I think they'd need a real stadium if that were to happen. One thought is to put some dollars into Werner to make it a real soccer stadium as opposed to a baseball stadium that moonlights as a soccer field. The stormchasers could actually move downtown to Schwab, since it sits idle most of the time.
I like the Stormchasers right were they’re at… Perfect for Triple AAA baseball and you don’t have to drive downtown …

Reactions: 3fingershomer
Cricket is cited as the second most popular sport in the world with Field Hockey 3rd (I think)

Yet...we don't see those fans freaking out and shoving in down the throats of non-fans.
He made a simple post. Do you consider that as shoving down your throat? Or is there others that are doing that?

Just seems weird to get so put off by a simple post about something you clearly don't like.

He made a simple post. Do you consider that as shoving down your throat? Or is there others that are doing that?

Just seems weird to get so put off by a simple post about something you clearly don't like.
Others. So relax.

But really it is more just joking around, like normal humans do with each other because 99% of normal people don't get "so put off" by a simple post.

Went to a couple of matches in England in 2019 was pretty cool. The atmosphere reminded me of college football. I dont pretend to fully understand the game though. It still can look like keep away to me. That being said if a team has Omaha on its jersey ill root for them

Others. So relax.

But really it is more just joking around, like normal humans do with each other because 99% of normal people don't get "so put off" by a simple post.
Dude, you make me laugh. I am completely relaxed, just made an observation that the people in this thread "freaking out" are the ones trying to show how much they dislike soccer.

I don't really see anyone freaking out in the thread. There are some jokes and dudes sharing how much they dislike soccer. And some dudes that are actually interested in the post.

But hey, if that is shoving it down your throat, I get it.

Shatel just had a piece on this in the OWH. IMO, there is no way Storm Chasers play at Schwab, parking fee’s are a major obstacle plus it’s downtown, way too far for families from Gretna, Elkhorn, etc to travel from the western fringe of Omaha. That is the market for Minor League baseball, not the 30 year old guy who lives in Midtown. Let them build a new soccer stadium with private money, they can put it wherever they want.

Reactions: scarletred
Dude, you make me laugh. I am completely relaxed, just made an observation that the people in this thread "freaking out" are the ones trying to show how much they dislike soccer.

I don't really see anyone freaking out in the thread. There are some jokes and dudes sharing how much they dislike soccer. And some dudes that are actually interested in the post.

But hey, if that is shoving it down your throat, I get it.
All just jokes. None of this is serious, not to me anyway.

Reactions: egaRdeR
Omaha is an event town more than a pro team town. Pro teams are cool, pro prices are not. Add in parking and day to day fees and it adds up. People are used to paying college prices. I have to think pro tickets would be a reach.

Reactions: SuperBigFan
Shatel just had a piece on this in the OWH. IMO, there is no way Storm Chasers play at Schwab, parking fee’s are a major obstacle plus it’s downtown, way too far for families from Gretna, Elkhorn, etc to travel from the western fringe of Omaha. That is the market for Minor League baseball, not the 30 year old guy who lives in Midtown. Let them build a new soccer stadium with private money, they can put it wherever they want.
Elkhorn is about the same distance to both stadiums. Werner park isn’t west Omaha. It’s south side of papillon

Well this is America. Football, Basketball and Baseball all were invented here..
Other countries can’t compete with America in these 3 sports..

Soccer is boring plan and simple.
When I was growing up I hated soccer. I actually called them all “foot fairies.” Thought it was the most boring and useless game ever.

Then I had a baby girl, who woke up at 5:00 am everyday for a year. On Saturday and Sunday at 5:00 am you can watch infomercials or English Soccer. I got hooked on Premier League and now love soccer. When you begin to understand the sport and the strategy it becomes almost mesmerizing. It’s a Chess match. While every game in the US is becoming more geared toward offense, soccer is just soccer. I think that’s one of the aspects of the game I love. While soccer certainly has introduced things like VAR (instant replay), for the most part soccer is supposed to be played with minimal referee interference. The rule is pretty much when in doubt keep the whistle in your pocket and let the players play.

also something to keep in mind. The only reason we have football is because of soccer. Soccer, rugby and football are all versions of one another to some degree.

finally. I do have to admit, I love US soccer for World Cup and patriotic reasons, but the fact is our soccer SUUUUUUUUCKS compared to the rest of the world. Watching the MLS and then flipping over to watch EPL is like night and day difference in talent. Watching Liverpool and Man City the last few weeks in EPL and FA Cup matches has been epic.

That said, the only reason it’s the most popular sport worldwide is because it’s the cheapest to play. In the US where every resource is available to play the other major tied sports, we see the cream rises to the top.
I’ve always said this, too. Soccer is popular because of how cheap it is to play. Even your most poor countries can at least find a ball. I find the game boring myself. But I think it would be a great game to play for exercise.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
I appreciate soccer but I’m not a true fan. I went to an international friendly a few years ago down in KC. The tailgating and in-game atmosphere were amazing; better than college football IMO.

With USL growth putting pressure on MLS, I do think there is going to be a lot of support for these teams in smaller markets and it will really push the popularity of the sport across the US. Would be cool to see the Midwest cities have a rivalry against each other in something with meaning.

I can honestly say, yes soccer can be boring. Unless you are invested. Then, it is an absolutely amazing sport. When they are your kids and your teams out there playing, its probably 2nd only to football for me. I have coached a TON of youth sports, and I have never yelled and been as into the games as I was with coaching soccer. If you have never had a reason to be invested, I totally get it. Not for everyone. The pageantry, fandom and atmosphere in Europe and South America, etc is better than any other sport. Even college football. It helps that one of my kids is really into it and really fun to watch. But yeah, its not as fun to watch as a casual observer, like football, but its still a great sport

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT