ADVERTISEMENT

UCF making a push to keep Frost away from P5 schools

UCF has no chance to move to a bigger conference. Which Power 5 conference is going to take them? They would bring nothing of value. ACC and SEC already have the Florida market. They only draw 30,000 fans per game. Academics are terrible. Big 12 already rejected them.

People thought Tom Herman might stay at Houston and get them to a bigger conference. He only lasted 2 years.
Yeah you're right. The #18 media market and the most fertile recruiting grounds are worthless

yep regardless of what happens it's not very fun to be in the middle of what might become our first undefeated season be non stop chatter about our coach leaving before Christmas & it has a chance of becoming a locker room distraction if any of our players start hearing or believing it whether it's true or complete bs by message board mods and blogs to get clicks
Yea that sucks. We have had it to a degree a few years ago. One year when we were preparing to play in the B1G Championship, Pelini was out openly campaigning for other jobs. The ironic part is one of those schools went on to hire the coach that kicked our ass in the Championship Game.

Does anyone truly know how much interest NU would have in SF? Moos has stated he prefers experienced P5 coaches (although he also said fit is very important). If experience was a large factor, that seems to eliminate SF from the discussion. I am also interested in how much outside 'influence' could be made on Moos from the fans, regents, etc. Personally I don't see Moos being easily influenced by those factors being that he is an experienced and well respected AD with what I assume are lots of connections. Furthermore, one not so past hire of a former DC seemed to happen largely because it was what many Husker fans wanted at that time...and that didn't necessarily turn out the best.

I also think the argument over whether or not SF will become NU's coach next year is a little premature. We currently do not have an opening. It very well may happen, but I feel like supporting the man that is currently in charge of our program (while rooting for SF) is a better use of at least my time.

If the opening did happen and SF was our top choice, I don't see him turning down the opportunity. Nebraska is where SF grew up, played and won a NC, and started his coaching career. He is loved here and would have a chance to be back 'home' with his family and many former friends and teammates. It is also a chance to be at a major program and play in a weak division in one of the top conferences. There are obviously potential drawbacks that have already been stated, such as recruiting, the state of the program, and the constant fishbowl he would be in. However, it has been proven that it isn't as difficult to recruit here as many would like to believe, it just takes drive and work to do so, which he has. The state of the program is actually something that would potentially benefit someone like SF, because he wouldn't necessarily have to win big right away...since he is a former Husker, it seems people would be willing to give him a little more time than they would someone like Riley. So, he would be able to implement his style and just have to show progress. And, the fishbowl environment would happen regardless of which big name program he ever chose. I think a bigger factor would be how he would handle the potential criticism/recommendations/whatever about what to do with the program from former teammates/ coaches/family/etc. Ultimately, though, this decision will be based on what SF and his wife think are best for their family...and even if Tony Dungy is in his inner circle, I don't think he has any real idea what SF would do if he were actually offered the job and chance to come home.

Damn.....Keep posting.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
@Skerz4Life50

Made some good points. I have to wonder how much the "experienced" is going to factor into this go around.

Kelly, Gundy, Whittingham are probably the first three experienced coaches that come to mind who are readily available.

I don't really see us chasing Miles, Stoops is retired, we're not stealing Peterson and Patterson, this is sort of the "pipe dream" box...or at least the very low probability box.

Pretty much everyone else is some degree of "up and coming".

Frost might not be Candidate 1, but he's almost assuredly candidate 2 on any practical list.

@Skerz4Life50

Made some good points. I have to wonder how much the "experienced" is going to factor into this go around.

Kelly, Gundy, Whittingham are probably the first three experienced coaches that come to mind who are readily available.

I don't really see us chasing Miles, Stoops is retired, we're not stealing Peterson and Patterson, this is sort of the "pipe dream" box...or at least the very low probability box.

Pretty much everyone else is some degree of "up and coming".

Frost might not be Candidate 1, but he's almost assuredly candidate 2 on any practical list.
Gundy is readily available? Is he unhappy at Okie State? I don't want him anyway. He is a good coach but even with Boone's money and state of the art new facilities, he has never gotten them to much of anything

Gundy is readily available? Is he unhappy at Okie State? I don't want him anyway. He is a good coach but even with Boone's money and state of the art new facilities, he has never gotten them to much of anything

Some folks on other boards of a good reputation had said he was interested in the position last time....Tom on this board has that I can remember.

I think for the right deal either would jump ship. I really don't want anyone on that experienced list though. I'd rather roll with Dino or Campbell or Frost. Or Broehm. Or go after like a Venables or Pruitt.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Some folks on other boards of a good reputation had said he was interested in the position last time....Tom on this board has that I can remember.

I think for the right deal either would jump ship. I really don't want anyone on that experienced list though. I'd rather roll with Dino or Campbell or Frost. Or Broehm. Or go after like a Venables or Pruitt.
I agree. Good list

Reactions: HuskerDana
Severe has said before the Frost wants the job. I believe even Sean Callahan re-confirmed the sentiment just a day or two ago.

Several of his former teammates think he'd take it pretty much no questions asked.

That SSO character has connections to Frost and seems to fall on this train as well.

It would seem to me there's more than a little smoke that he's still interested in this position were it to come open.
"SSO character". What or who is that?

"SSO character". What or who is that?

ShortSideOption. Generally has good info on the other board. Over the years he's let it be known that he has contact with Frost on occasion, but I don't think they are like best buds or anything.

You can go undefeated and a 2 loss OSU would get in before you. Lol advantages.

A two loss Ohio State...you are correct.
A two loss Oklahoma State...I think UCF could squeeze by them if the Knights continue to win their games by margins of 4 - 6 touchdowns.

31-0 But oooooh look at that speed.

Aww...Brucie feelings are still hurt because we were not nice to him in response to his trolling and flames on the UCF board!

You know, a Husker fan who's team just lost 56 - 14 to 9th ranked Ohio State probably shouldn't be making fun of UCF losing to 5th ranked Michigan by 31 points.

Aww...Brucie feelings are still hurt because we were not nice to him in response to his trolling and flames on the UCF board!

You know, a Husker fan who's team just lost 56 - 14 to 9th ranked Ohio State probably shouldn't be making fun of UCF losing to 5th ranked Michigan by 31 points.

Can we make fun of you for losing to Temple? Or a Maryland team even Mike Riley beat easily?

So there really are only two possible reasons he would not come out and say definitively that he is staying put:
1. He really does want to move on to a P5 school
2. He wants to stay on at UCF but wants a much bigger salary

Actually there are two other reasonable reasons.
1. Even if he says he wants to stay at at UCF, no one is going to believe him, just like no one believes any successful G5 coach when he says he wants to stay at his G5 school. It won't make the talk go away, so maybe he decided that not addressing the issue at all (at least publicly) is the best way to handle it.
2. If (and that is a BIG if) Frost has decided he wants to stay at UCF, why would he want to publicly declare he has no interest in any other job this year (including Nebraska) which would embarrass his old school, his former team mates, and those fans who really want him to be the Huskers coach. He can just quietly turn it down if offered the job, and everyone can claim publicly it was never offered to him.

Can we make fun of you for losing to Temple? Or a Maryland team even Mike Riley beat easily?

Sure...go for it! Doesn't bother me a bit.

Considering we were playing a true Freshman at QB (who had six turnovers in the Maryland game...and we still took them to 2OT) and it was our first year under Scott Frost after a 2015 season that had the players totally demoralized... most UCF fans were not expecting more than 4-5 wins last year anyway.

Unfortunately, UCF is a better program than NU right now. Let that sink in. Are we really going to get into a pissing match with a non P5 team's fan base over which team got their asses kicked worse?

Damn.....this sucks to be right back to 2007 all over again.

Yeah you're right. The #18 media market and the most fertile recruiting grounds are worthless

Like I said, Florida/Florida State/Miami already own that media market. Adding UCF would add nothing of additional value. There's a reason the failing Big 12 Conference rejected you.

Sorry, Nebraska, Scott Frost wants to 'keep the band together' at UCF

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...-nebraska-cornhuskers-ucf-20171019-story.html
BTW...Frost REALLY likes his assistant coaches...If you want him, be prepared to accept his current Offensive and Defensive coordinators.

“We want to keep the band together. … It wouldn’t be as much fun for me to do my job without the guys I have around me.”
Some of his 'band' is also former huskers. Plus Nebraska isn't going to stop a coach from bringing in his own assistants, hell Riley got to bring in Banker and that was a terrible decision.

Reactions: SDhusker12
Sure. Because he said right there in that interview that I am not open to any other job offers....I am staying at Central Florida next season.

I was just poking fun at the thread where almost every post claims that Frost's current OC and DC are not experienced enough for the mighty Huskers program. You really think Frost is going to demote his best friend from DC to position coach?

I was just poking fun at the thread where almost every post claims that Frost's current OC and DC are not experienced enough for the mighty Huskers program. You really think Frost is going to demote his best friend from DC to position coach?

You don’t know this state very well. Fans will sit and say frost should go hire orgeron to be a WR coach just to get another ace recruiter on a potential all star staff...

But at the end of the day if Frost showed up in a Huskers hat and the goof troop from team Disney....he’s still walk on water here

Any active coach hired by Nebraska will swear up and down that they are remaining at their previous job, until the moment they are announced as Nebraska's new head coach. No one is going to admit they're looking around, potentially poisoning their current job if the deal goes sour. Because they'd have the players, fans, and administration after their head, making it a very uncomfortable place to work.

They all follow the exact same script: "I'm at [enter school here] until they ask me to leave." Or some variation of that. Even as they are signing papers accepting the new job, they will repeat the lie until an official announcement is made. It's not personal, it's business.

Sorry, Nebraska, Scott Frost wants to 'keep the band together' at UCF

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...-nebraska-cornhuskers-ucf-20171019-story.html
BTW...Frost REALLY likes his assistant coaches...If you want him, be prepared to accept his current Offensive and Defensive coordinators.

“We want to keep the band together. … It wouldn’t be as much fun for me to do my job without the guys I have around me.”
I'd be perfectly fine with that. Seems to me to have assembled a good staff.

I don't see this anywhere. In fact, there are a lot of positive posts about Chadlier. My only fear is that is Frost leaves, he gets the HC gig at UCF. And I have not seen Walters mentioned at all.

Frost is going to accept the job if offered. Not sure why everyone is trying to turn this into rocket science. The only reason he wouldn't accept the job is if he didn't think he could win here.

I don't know Scott Frost but I can say without almost complete certainty that he doesn't believe that. He is apart of the tribe.

2 + 2 = 4 and Scott Frost would come to Nebraska if offered.

Frost might have his choice of Florida or Florida State in the next couple years. Jimbo is 2-4 this year after being ranked #3 preseason, and he seems to be melting down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT