ADVERTISEMENT

Turkey

I pat it dry, rub the skin with butter, and roast it in an oven bag, no stuffing. It has yielded me a perfect bird every time.

Mother-in-law is doing the cooking tomorrow, which means I'm basically in charge of making sure she doesn't overcook the turkey.

i cook a breast.
pat it dry.
stuff butter pats under the skin.
olive oil on the outside.
pepper and salt it, too.
throw some onions, carrots, celery, & garlic in pan.
throw in oven for a few hours.
cover with foil later to avoid burning.

Mix Garlic and onion powder salt pepper and sage into a lb of butter, then I stuff that butter under the skin in every part of the bird, and all over the out side as well. Into a roasting bag, and makes one heck of a gravy w the drippings as well.

After discovering brine... No turkery will ever be prepared by me thaat isn't brined first Smoked, oven, roaster pan...no matter, it always comes out amazing. But my fave is smoked, after it sits in brine for 2 days.

My BIL is frying one. He does a good job with it.

I had my wife buy 3 birds so I can smoke them throughout the winter. (Note, if you’re smoking a turkey, spatchcock that sucker - it is so much better.) I can hardly find them after the holiday otherwise.

I’m amazed that turkey is so seasonal. It’s so cheap and they’re pretty damn easy once you figure them out.

I did brine one year and didn't like how the gravy turned out, it was like drinking ocean water

Lots of brine recipes call for way to much salt, I can see how that would ruin the gravy. My favorite brine is a citrus brine, but you have to watch how long you let your bird swim in that because the citrus will literally try to "cook" it for lack of a better word, if you leave it in to long. I have converted many a people who only like dark meat on the bird because they think the white meat is to blah and dry.

Separate breast, legs, wings, etc.
Put in crock pot with white wine, chicken bone broth, herbs, butter, lemons and oranges.
Watch football for eight hours.
Strain stock for gravy.
Serve turkey.

Reactions: Sinomatic
I’m amazed that turkey is so seasonal. It’s so cheap and they’re pretty damn easy once you figure them out.
Big loss leader for the grocery stores at holiday time. But that makes them very hard to sell year round, because when people see the actual price that turns a profit, their head explodes.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Big loss leader for the grocery stores at holiday time. But that makes them very hard to sell year round, because when people see the actual price that turns a profit, their head explodes.

Well I guess that’s why I stock up during the season!

My father-in-law is smoking the turkey this year, has for the last couple and its the only way that beats out deep fried IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT