ADVERTISEMENT

Trev's number one target

8 wins minimum before he should even be considered. And I'll go out on a limb and say there's zero chance of that happening. We need to be focusing on real head coaching candidates.
There are likely better candidates out there - that's always the case when an interim coach is named.

Can you name one coach that could have won 8 games with this roster, assuming Northwestern and Georgia Southern were already off the table? If that guy is really out there somewhere, by all means hire him.

I hope he does, and he knocks it out of the park. How many times has an interim coach been hired and had it work out? Dabo at Clemson is one. Can you name a second? The guy seems like he works hard and has the support of everyone around him. Something the golden boy didn't.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I am not going to let one win get my optimism up too much. Last year, after boat racing NW out of the stadium, complete with night game “Thunderstruck” theatrics, we were all excited and thinking that maybe a corner had been turned. Even Trev was all smiles and was back slapping Frost and fist pumping in the air.

In beating Indiana we finally beat a P5 team with a pulse. That is progress. The team looked different and more focused. But they did last year too against NW. And Indiana was without their two best receivers and probably are not a good team at all. We also had a shit load of penalties and our offense was very, very inconsistent.

My point is that I highly doubt Mickey gets this job because I don’t see more than one or two more wins for us. Maybe we beat Rutgers but they actually showed some toughness against OSU despite the final score. They looked physical. I would not be shocked if we ended up 4-8 or even 3-9

There are likely better candidates out there - that's always the case when an interim coach is named.

Can you name one coach that could have won 8 games with this roster, assuming Northwestern and Georgia Southern were already off the table? If that guy is really out there somewhere, by all means hire him.
If there are better candidates out there, then that is who should be hired. No reason to settle for a guy who's not really qualified. Urban could easily win that many games with this roster.

Reactions: jteten
Right now one comparison I directly see is Fickell, then tosu and stayed on staff to eventually leave for Cincinnati.

If he is not retained as HC but is asked to stay as an assistant, think it’s smart to bolt as he can to a G5 school and show skills there. He loves Nebraska and I think will get another 2-3 wins on the schedule with a ceiling of 4 more to get to 6-6, I don’t know if it’s in his interest to stay and be an AC.

2022 HUSKER FOOTBALL​

04/09White 43, Red 39* flag football
08/27@ Northwestern*L 28-31 * onside kick
09/03North DakotaW 38-17
09/10Georgia SouthernL 42-45
09/17OklahomaL 14-49
10/01IndianaW 35-21
10/07@ RutgersW
10/15@ PurdueW
10/29IllinoisW/L
11/05MinnesotaW/L
11/12@ MichiganL
11/19WisconsinW/L
11/25@ IowaW

mickey j will have to W one of the W/L..and get to a bowl...then I don't see how you don't hire him, unless aranda says yes

Maybe one win left on the schedule - Rutgers …. Maybe

Mickey should at least have a winning record before getting the job. I say he should have 8 wins minimum. 7 wins is kind of sketchy. 6 or less is unacceptable.

8 wins? He isn’t starting week 1. He is starting 1-2, with a team that obviously has alot of issues. I’m not sure asking him to go 7-2 is a realistic or fair audition.

Yes, let’s declare and seriously consider the guy who’s never been a power 5 coach nor has been in charge of an entire multi-million dollar program and has just won their first ever game against Indiana the next head coach of Nebraska, because why exactly?

We really don’t know if there are better coaches for NU out there. Mickey’s unproven.
If he wins 4 more he’ll be proven in my book. Personally I have my doubts he’ll end up with the job but man I’m rooting for him. One way or another he needs to be on our staff.
Why? I don't get the infatuation with a very unproven coach. We need the VERY best coach we can get.....give that person all the resources he needs for a world class staff. Not foist someone on him.

Reactions: moralvictories
Is Mickey Joseph. I think if Mickey can get us to to 5 wins that interim title will get removed. Trev wouldn't have done this for Mark Whipple or Erik Chinander.

That's awesome. You probably couldn't find one player on the team that misses Scott Frost. Trev walks right into the lion's den and comes out smelling like roses.

Reactions: ATX Husker
We can support MJ and hope he wins out and cheer for the guy. I’d question your fanship if you didn’t. That doesn’t mean we have to anoint him after one game.

He IS the coach right now. He IS running a major P5 program. The job is his to lose.

We can support MJ and hope he wins out and cheer for the guy. I’d question your fanship if you didn’t. That doesn’t mean we have to anoint him after one game.

He IS the coach right now. He IS running a major P5 program. The job is his to lose.
It is an odd situation because he is in the drivers seat but probably not the favorite.

Is Mickey Joseph. I think if Mickey can get us to to 5 wins that interim title will get removed. Trev wouldn't have done this for Mark Whipple or Erik Chinander.

I think you're not likely wrong, and I'd be stoked if it could work out well enough this season to happen.

How great would it be to have an actual feel good story nationally - unlike Frost turned out to not be.

Reactions: headcard
I hope MJ does so well Trev has no choice but to make it permanent. How could that not be every single Husker fan's wish? Now do I think it will happen? Seems like tall odds to me, but I'm rooting for it.
That's kind if where I fall. I WANT MJ to give us no choice but to make him permanent. I WANT him to be Dabo Swinney 2.0. To do that he would have to win alot of the remaining games, which makes that outcome even better.

I have no doubt he WILL be a head coach some day soon, whether it's with us or another school. I think he has the demeanor for it, based on both his on field demeanor and his pressers. He also appears to be a lights out recruiter and a good dude in general. The X's and O's are my biggest question. I don't know what he runs on O or D when given a choice and not taking over mid-year. Right now he's just adapting what we have, and maybe that's what he'd stick with. We'll have to wait and find out, whether it's here or somewhere else.

There's also the question if his administrative acumen, as being a HC involves alot of administration, politicking, etc.. Hard to tell right now how he'd do with that aspect, but if he impresses greatly with everything else, hard to not give him a shot and find out.

right now I would put mickey even with the ku coach...a rutgers win and a select few remain, gruden, aranda, urban....
Gruden why the hell would his name pop up after using racial slurs when he was with the Raiders..

Gruden why the hell would his name pop up after using racial slurs when he was with the Raiders..
yeah that was in private emails and not a big deal except for flag hating snowflakes...
he's a superbowl type coach

yeah that was in private emails and not a big deal except for flag hating snowflakes...
he's a superbowl type coach
Don’t care it’s still out there that people know about.. Especially with African American prospects he’d have to recruit… Don’t even think he would like to recruit in the first place..

Don’t care it’s still out there that people know about.. Especially with African American prospects he’d have to recruit… Don’t even think he would like to recruit in the first place..
recruits come to him..I'd think he would be trev's #1 target
he was in lincoln the day after frost was canned

8 wins? He isn’t starting week 1. He is starting 1-2, with a team that obviously has alot of issues. I’m not sure asking him to go 7-2 is a realistic or fair audition.
It isn't about giving him a fair audition. It is about finding the best coach available. If Mickey Joseph is hired, it means we got turned down by quite a few people. Him going 4-5 with the soft Big 10 west schedule to sneak into a bowl game is definitely not good enough to hire him over more qualified candidates.

If it wasn't a big deal he'd have another coaching job by now or wouldn't have been fired in the first place. Nebraska isn't hiring him and neither is anyone else.
what part of super bowl coach am I not communicating correctly?
if 0bama could spent 8 years dividing the country on race..gruden's lil locker room jokes in emails ain't gonna be a problem..plus with gruden and mickey working together..it could help bring folks together and less consumed with the flesh...

It isn't about giving him a fair audition. It is about finding the best coach available. If Mickey Joseph is hired, it means we got turned down by quite a few people. Him going 4-5 with the soft Big 10 west schedule to sneak into a bowl game is definitely not good enough to hire him over more qualified candidates.

4-5 wouldn’t get him into a Bowl Game, fwiw. I think a lot will also depend on who these more qualified candidates are. Is Campbell or Klieman a safer choice? Do guys like that really have a higher ceiling? I get wanting Urban Meyer or Mike Gundy and it is a no brainer if we can. But if we are looking at guys like the ones listed above and Mickey gets us to a Bowl Game, I’m not sure he isn’t the better choice.

what part of super bowl coach am I not communicating correctly?
if 0bama could spent 8 years dividing the country on race..gruden's lil locker room jokes in emails ain't gonna be a problem..plus with gruden and mickey working together..it could help bring folks together and less consumed with the flesh...

Yeah you can say he won a super bowl all day long, but he isn't coaching at Nebraska next year or anywhere else. He isn't that great of a coach anyway. That Super Bowl was 20 years ago and he hasn't won a playoff game since.

4-5 wouldn’t get him into a Bowl Game, fwiw. I think a lot will also depend on who these more qualified candidates are. Is Campbell or Klieman a safer choice? Do guys like that really have a higher ceiling? I get wanting Urban Meyer or Mike Gundy and it is a no brainer if we can. But if we are looking at guys like the ones listed above and Mickey gets us to a Bowl Game, I’m not sure he isn’t the better choice.
You are right, I mixed up the 4 and 5. He'd have to go 5-4.

And I'd 100% take Klieman over Joseph unless Joseph does something extraordinary the rest of the year. Interim coaches are always hit and miss. You might get a Dabo, but you also can continue to set back a program if you fall in love with an interim coach just because things got a little better.

Reactions: scarletred
Wouldn’t put any stock in Severe. If Joseph and Alberts were team mates then obviously he wants Joseph. But, if Mickey doesn’t get us to a bowl game he can be the assistant head coach on the next staff.

If there are better candidates out there, then that is who should be hired. No reason to settle for a guy who's not really qualified. Urban could easily win that many games with this roster.
There's no law that says you have to want Joseph considered for the HC job. If you don't want him hired under any circumstances, that's a defensible opinion. But there's no way in Hell that this team finishing out 7-1 is a reasonable measuring stick for dropping the interim tag. If Joseph drags this roster to a 7-1 finish, call the sculptor and get working on a statue next to the one of T.O.

Yeah you can say he won a super bowl all day long, but he isn't coaching at Nebraska next year or anywhere else. He isn't that great of a coach anyway. That Super Bowl was 20 years ago and he hasn't won a playoff game since.
so hire urban who crashed and burned with the big boys, but not hire gruden? hmmm seems odd

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT