ADVERTISEMENT

Trev to Texas A&M?

others don't want him, Texas A&M wants him

a place that's as poisonous for administrators as it gets who had to sink to their 5th or 6th option at head football coach just last year after an embarrassing PR snafoo
Yeah. I liked what Trev was doing, but he was the AD from Omaha and there was a lot of people pissed we hired him. The same people are pissed he is leaving. I guess for me, I would get someone who is a proven AD that knows that Nebraska Football is the bell cow and that should be the entire attention. I don't think getting a qualified person will be hard.

Yeah but property tax and cost of living may offset that.
Property taxes are high in TX as well. Sales tax is more there too. Only thing less is the fact that they have no income tax vs 6.6 here but that's going down if bill gets passed.

If he leaves, there must be some systemic issues with Nebraska. It doesn’t make a lot of sense otherwise.
Or he's made the moves he can make and got a raise, but aTm is offering a lot more. Time for another challange.
Also realize that his perceived success here was mostly going to be tied to how Rhule does. I guess rather than wait around to see how it works out he's going to cash in.

Last edited:
I can read people like a book and it was obvious he lost all passion and love for the university in the AD position. Easy to tell in fact from his very first presser. Being a miser in some instances so he could support his pet projects in others is the only thing he cared about.
I can read people too. You're an insufferable douche.

Well, he's facing a sex scandal and a major stadium remodel, where all the hate mail goes to him . Maybe he figures that he's not paid enough for all that BS . Nebraska ....it's not for everbody.

Possible candidates for Nebraska AD position?
I can’t believe we can’t keep anyone here for more than 3-4 years

I don’t know if keep is the right word, we only lost 2 of the last 6 AD’s. Lost Byrne to A&M, Pederson fired, Osborne forced out, Eichorst fired, Moos forced out, and looks like we are losing Trev to A&M.

Reactions: huskerfan66
i saw this on another board this morning and immediately asked why? our own collin klein went down there as offensive coordinator. but that was rational to get sec level experience before taking a head job somewhere. what your guy is after is beyond me? aTm is not a cultural fit. it's always second fiddle to texas. and he's leaving his alma mater. i don't get it.
We lost one our better ADs imo, dollar Bill Byrne to a&m in 2002.

We'll see. It's strange and definitely raising eyebrows

Exactly why I found that vote noteworthy enough to post a thread about it

Not many thought much of it at the time

What that list shows me is that Nebraska can compete with the big boys just fine, especially since the job wasn’t even done yet. So whatever his reasons, it’s not because he couldn’t get it done here.

Leaving for money? I don’t like it, but I get it. But leaving at this critical juncture of the rebuild, when there’s a vacuum of leadership at the university and likely leaving the fate of Nebraska athletics to an interim president and a hiring committee without knowledgeable oversight? Knowing how that instability could sink a football program that was just beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel for the first time in nearly a decade? Unforgivable.

My thought on Trev leaving. 1. If he wants to go to A&M to make more money than I say well all thank Trav and wish him luck. 2. It has to be about more money. A&M is never going to be at the top of the SEC. Now that OU and more importantly Texas, their in-state superior rival joining the SEC, A&M moves down two more rungs on the ladder. 3. What is up in Lincoln if it is not about money? Is there conflict that we fans do not know about?

Reactions: leodisflowers
i saw this on another board this morning and immediately asked why? our own collin klein went down there as offensive coordinator. but that was rational to get sec level experience before taking a head job somewhere. what your guy is after is beyond me? aTm is not a cultural fit. it's always second fiddle to texas. and he's leaving his alma mater. i don't get it.
I disagree that it is second fiddle to Texas. This state is divided by region. There aren't a whole lot of Longhorn fans here in Houston. Infinitely more Aggies. UT rules San Antonio, Austin and portions of Dallas that don't support Baylor, TCU or SMU. Then you have west Texas where a good number are Tech fans.

I don’t know if keep is the right word, we only lost 2 of the last 6 AD’s. Lost Byrne to A&M, Pederson fired, Osborne forced out, Eichorst fired, Moos forced out, and looks like we are losing Trev to A&M.
Ok keep it not the right word but my meaning stands. One way or another they don’t stay. The instability prevents much momentum from building. Alberts got a lot of things heading in the right direction here.

What that list shows me is that Nebraska can compete with the big boys just fine, especially since the job wasn’t even done yet. So whatever his reasons, it’s not because he couldn’t get it done here.

Leaving for money? I don’t like it, but I get it. But leaving at this critical juncture of the rebuild, when there’s a vacuum of leadership at the university and likely leaving the fate of Nebraska athletics to an interim president and a hiring committee without knowledgeable oversight? Knowing how that instability could sink a football program that was just beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel for the first time in nearly a decade? Unforgivable.
I just read two articles. Do not know how current the numbers are but it looks like the Texas AD is the highest paid at about 2.5 million. Trev is at 1.7 million. A&M must be wanting to set off an arms race on athletic directors' salaries if they are going to pay Trev career changing money. No way do schools like Texas not jump in and up their salary of their AD.

Reactions: huskerfan66
there are worse places to live in Texas, namely Lubbock & Waco.

went to a gameday at College Station (sister is an alum), and it was a pretty fun atmosphere. the brutalist architecture isn't for everybody.
Oh I agree gameday is awesome. We tailgated next to a building that had the Hog Hall of Fame on its walls

I disagree that it is second fiddle to Texas. This state is divided by region. There aren't a whole lot of Longhorn fans here in Houston. Infinitely more Aggies. UT rules San Antonio, Austin and portions of Dallas that don't support Baylor, TCU or SMU. Then you have west Texas where a good number are Tech fans.
I am sure in a big state like Texas there are divided loyalties among college sports fans, but to the outside world and in terms of winning, prestige, notoriety, history, etc., the Texas Longhorns far out rank A&M. Your argument is like saying the Huskers do not play second fiddle in the Big Ten to Ohio State and Michigan in Lincoln and Omaha.

I am sure in a big state like Texas there are divided loyalties among college sports fans, but to the outside world and in terms of winning, prestige, notoriety, history, etc., the Texas Longhorns far out rank A&M. Your argument is like saying the Huskers do not play second fiddle in the Big Ten to Ohio State and Michigan in Lincoln and Omaha.
Tuco isn't wrong. Texas A&M is a pretty damn big deal in the south. Nationally you are probably correct, but if you go to the south it is a different story. Hell even nationally people know the money they have. Lot's of grads all over the area because of their petroleum engineering program. Tuco hit the nail on the head for Texas, but having lived in the South and worked in the construction industry related to energy they are a big name.

100%

Hopefully this is just a ploy to up his salary. He knows we would be in a huge pickle right now to hire a new AD. If he pulls a nice little raise out of it - all good.

I think Trev should come out and say what he is going to do. Don't be scared. Sounds like the contract language has already been hammered out, so what are you waiting for?
Not sure. My son just texted that according to an owh article, NU officials say they have not been informed of trev leaving

Reactions: leodisflowers
But what has Texas won really? ESPN thought that too when they decided to create the Longhorn Network. Millions of lost dollars later they realized that it was a lost cause.

They are the state university, have a ton of money, spend a ton of money and talk loud. Conferences want them because they bring TV markets. But in reality they are just the loud talking rich kid. Volleyball, track and swimming and diving are what they have won their their titles.

Reactions: thall__
I like what Trev is doing and think things are moving in the right direction with football. However - I think there are plenty of AD’s with the chops to come in and impress. Trev is very well spoken and charismatic but that’s compared to end of career, remote worker Moos and Eichorst - who by all accounts was mildly r$@“3?!/.

Reactions: headcard
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT