ADVERTISEMENT

Trev is walking a tightrope

drubendall

Assistant Head Coach
Apr 18, 2004
I don't profess to know what he is thinking, but as far as our new coach goes, if Mickey is moderately successful, it's going to be hard not to make him the coach because he has a lot of fans among his team and the general population.

If this thing stalls out, it's an easier proposition to move on.

If he's pretty much .500, what do you do? Most of the stench still belongs to man boy Scott Frost.

I don't profess to know what he is thinking, but as far as our new coach goes, if Mickey is moderately successful, it's going to be hard not to make him the coach because he has a lot of fans among his team and the general population.

If he's pretty much .500, what do you do? Most of the stench still belongs to man boy Scott Frost.
I wonder if MJ really even wants all the stress that comes with the HC job. He could stay on staff as WR coach ans Associate HC and still make a ton of money without all the BS.

Look, lets cut to the chase. This is Neb’s remaining schedule: Rutgers, Purdue, Illinois, Minn, Mich, Wisc, Iowa.

Unless Neb is certain on its #1 or #2 candidate, ask yourself what happens in each of the following 3 (interesting) conditions (in all cases you see the team improving week after week):

- wins 4 more but 2 of those wins are #4 Michigan and the better of Wisc/Iowa/Minn at the time.

- wins the next 4 and loses the last 3 closely (you can sub Minn for Wisc if you want).

- wins 5 of the remaining but gets blown out of the other two.

How many of these situations do you keep him? I’m assuming if he wins 6 of the remaining 7 they would keep him.

If he's pretty much .500, what do you do?
If you don’t have a better coach ready to come in, you could give him another year or two as a trial. It also depends on how the team looks at .500. Are they improving? Competitive in all games? Etc.

I wonder if MJ really even wants all the stress that comes with the HC job. He could stay on staff as WR coach ans Associate HC and still make a ton of money without all the BS.

I can't imagine anyone turning down a 5x raise in salary and chance to lead a blue-blood Big Ten program, to stay as an assistant.

If he finds that he doesn't like being the head coach, he could step down in a couple years with millions in the bank, and go back to being an assistant somewhere.

Mickey has no business being considered for the position. We will no longer be a training ground for coaches! Hahaha Jesus people! I find it hilarious that people actually believe Mickey should even be considered 🤦🏼‍♂️
He hasn’t done anything wrong. He is just an unknown in his current role. He also is our current head coach, and per our AD being considered for the job. It all depends on how he does.

Look, lets cut to the chase. This is Neb’s remaining schedule: Rutgers, Purdue, Illinois, Minn, Mich, Wisc, Iowa.

Unless Neb is certain on its #1 or #2 candidate, ask yourself what happens in each of the following 3 (interesting) conditions (in all cases you see the team improving week after week):

- wins 4 more but 2 of those wins are #4 Michigan and the better of Wisc/Iowa/Minn at the time.

- wins the next 4 and loses the last 3 closely (you can sub Minn for Wisc if you want).

How many of these situations do you keep him? I’m assuming if he wins 6 of the remaining 7 they would keep him.
If he takes Nebraska to a bowl game for the first time in six years after taking over a team that was 1-2, he has to be a very serious candidate. I would probably make him the permanent head coach unless Meyer wanted to come here.

Lack of HC experience is a large hurdle to overcome for Mickey. There is significant risk that he is not really the next Dabo. To justify it, he needs accomplish more than Frost ever did. Granted that’s a very low bar, but he has to do it on the fly with a new low in overall talent development. Perhaps the schedule is not as hard as originally thought, and he can do it. I am rooting for that outcome.

Reactions: Clevinger
If he gets us to a bowl game then he has an argument. A lot of football to be played before thinking about that.

I will say he has the team behind him. He would be an excellent recruiter and certainly sounds like HC material in his interviews.

But there is a lot more to being a HC than that. He would be a very risky hire. We have no idea about his ability to build a team, maintain success… Or even have it yet… He’s won one game.

Let’s see how the season plays out. I’d be thrilled if he puts himself in contention.

Lack of HC experience is a large hurdle to overcome for Mickey. There is significant risk that he is not really the next Dabo. To justify it, he needs accomplish more than Frost ever did. Granted that’s a very low bar, but he has to do it on the fly with a new low in overall talent development. Perhaps the schedule is not as hard as originally thought, and he can do it. I am rooting for that outcome.
Sorry, I laughed when you said “accomplish more than Frost ever did” because I had to stop and think about what Frost ever did. I get what you are saying but man did Frost have epic failure.

If he gets us to a bowl game then he has an argument. A lot of football to be played before thinking about that.

I will say he has the team behind him. He would be an excellent recruiter and certainly sounds like HC material in his interviews.

But there is a lot more to being a HC than that. He would be a very risky hire. We have no idea about his ability to build a team, maintain success… Or even have it yet… He’s won one game.

Let’s see how the season plays out. I’d be thrilled if he puts himself in contention.
This.

In the very least, the man has me looking forward to our next game and interested in the season again.

What is frustrating is that if Joseph had coached all season I don’t think we would have lost to Northwestern or Georgia Southern.

It feels like—after 5 years of Frost—we at least have someone busting their ass to make us better.

I can't imagine anyone turning down a 5x raise in salary and chance to lead a blue-blood Big Ten program, to stay as an assistant.

If he finds that he doesn't like being the head coach, he could step down in a couple years with millions in the bank, and go back to being an assistant somewhere.
Yeah, that would be the hard part. I mean, it would be at least what, 5 million a year...that is crazy life changing money and even if you fail...you are set for life.

On the plus side, Mickey has already outdone Frost on some points.

At least 0.500 winning percentage at one point.

He won a game coming off a bye week.

Won a game with all 3 phases contributing, and effective halftime adjustments.
I think Frost will be remembered as our worst coach ever. Bill Jennings at least beat Oklahoma twice.

What is frustrating is that if Joseph had coached all season I don’t think we would have lost to Northwestern or Georgia Southern.

It feels like—after 5 years of Frost—we at least have someone busting their ass to make us better.
See this is where something does not add up.

Why would Frost redo his deal UNLESS he thought he was doing all he could to get the team better and get some wins.

Dude gave up millions, when he could have just been canned back in November and I think had like 20 or 25 million owed to him? I could be wrong on that.

So, why give all that up unless you think you are doing things that will work? Makes no sense to me, maybe he was just that bad of a coach.

i don't think Trev will have to "move on" from Mickey. A new coach would probably love to retain Mickey in some capacity and if Mickey wants to go elsewhere, I'm sure he'll do so in a gracious way. Just enjoy the present and stop being so doomsday

Why would Frost redo his deal UNLESS he thought he was doing all he could to get the team better and get some wins.

Dude gave up millions, when he could have just been canned back in November and I think had like 20 or 25 million owed to him? I could be wrong on that.

So, why give all that up unless you think you are doing things that will work? Makes no sense to me, maybe he was just that bad of a coach.
I think he wanted to be successful here for Osborne and his ego. However, I also think his ego prevented him from actually considering his Groundhogs Day-like problems, especially when people were fawning over him and throwing money at him just for being Scott Frost.

I think Frost thought he was destined for greatness after UCF with all his arrogant bluster, and I don’t think it occurred to him what a miserable failure he was until last year, and by then it was too late.

There are a lot of games left to be played. I'm sure if Nebraska goes on a win streak the coaching decision will become obvious. Otherwise, the search will continue.

I think he wanted to be successful here for Osborne and his ego. However, I also think his ego prevented him from actually considering his Groundhogs Day-like problems, especially when people were fawning over him and throwing money at him just for being Scott Frost.

I think Frost thought he was destined for greatness after UCF with all his arrogant bluster, and I don’t think it occurred to him what a miserable failure he was until last year, and by then it was too late.
Yeah that actually is a really good point. Maybe he did think that "it" will/would eventually work.

Seems so weird though, to give up that money but I guess he bet on himself.

I don't think moderately successful is enough for any assistant for consideration as HC.

I think this time Nebraska should hire an experienced head coach who is high in the win column. 70% or higher. There are plenty of them out there.

Nebraska has already hired 3 assistants to the head coaching position out of the last 4 head coaches. They have already gone that route. ...multiple times. They should try something with a higher chance of success.

Experienced head coach with proven success who is available.

to me it just depends on 2 things
1. did mickey get us to at least the weed eater bowl? if he does I'd take him over a isu's coach..maybe or maybe not ku's (ku's qb vs baylors d will be interesting)
2. if trev has a big name coach like aranda...you can be oc mickey/whippel...(aranda is the hc/dc)
baylors complaining bout their oc...currently
the bama oc don't make much sence if you can keep mickey/whipple..

but heck, who knows how our current dc will do....(talkin bout 5 yards in the 4th quarter action)
alot of variables/moving parts still

Last edited:
Mickey has no business being considered for the position. We will no longer be a training ground for coaches! Hahaha Jesus people! I find it hilarious that people actually believe Mickey should even be considered 🤦🏼‍♂️

He will have almost one full season to show what he’s got. After all, guys like Debor and Aranada are considered serious candidates with only two years under their belts.

Reactions: augdog2012
I don't think moderately successful is enough for any assistant for consideration as HC.

I think this time Nebraska should hire an experienced head coach who is high in the win column. 70% or higher. There are plenty of them out there.

Nebraska has already hired 3 assistants to the head coaching position out of the last 4 head coaches. They have already gone that route. ...multiple times. They should try something with a higher chance of success.

Pretty sure Bo was the only one we hired that went from assistant to HC.

Bo Pelini returns? :D

• Sad
Reactions: Sinomatic

I don’t get that part either. It was surprising that he agreed to such significant coaching and buyout changes. Why not demand to be paid in full and claim your dignity on the way out?

One could claim at the time that was a sign that he was willing to do anything/everything to turn things around. But when he showed up unshaven and without an opening statement at B1G media days, it was clear that wasn’t truly the case.

So why not just give Trev the bird 11 months ago? I suspect some people went to bat for him that he didn’t want to disappoint. He didn’t have the courage to say “No, I want the money” or the fortitude to give the new plan his best shot.

Reactions: BringItOnHome
Pretty sure Bo was the only one we hired that went from assistant to HC.
Solich, Callahan, Pelini were all not head coaches with good winning records at the time of hire.

Riley who was a head coach was as lame and lazy of a hire as I think one could make.

Tom Osborne who was an assistant and hired one was definitely a home run. But legends like that are generationally rare. I don't think you can strategize a legend hire. But you can with a great hire.

Um no

No, he is not walking a tight rope. Do you actually think it’s wise to make an incredibly important, long term decision based on “he has a lot of fans among his team and general population”?

If he wins .500? That’s great! Even if Micky never wins a single game I’d still want him to remain on staff because of his recruiting, coaching, and that he’s an overall great person. But to be “forced” to be the HC because he has “fans”??

So would you say then if Dante Williams - who took over as interim at USC and went 3-7 and is currently on staff still as their DB coach - also had “fans” that the AD should have said “well I have Lincoln Riley lined up but Dante Williams had all these fans so…..”

Was USC’s AD walking a tight rope?

If you don’t have a better coach ready to come in, you could give him another year or two as a trial. It also depends on how the team looks at .500. Are they improving? Competitive in all games? Etc.
So you essentially tell MJ, hey we can't find anyone better right now so we are just going to let you be interim for another year or two to see if works out or someone better comes along. How does that work for you MJ? Oh and we have 100% confidence in you.

Sure, but he said 3 of the last 4.

Frost. HC from UCF
Riley- HC from OSU
Bo- DC from LSU
Callahan- HC from Raiders
Oh yeah that's my bad I forgot Callahan was a HC. However I am saying an experienced head coach, Frost had two seasons at the helm of UCF. But you are right Callahan was HC....for 2 years ironically...

Reactions: headcard
Bo Pelini returns? :D
Oh gosh dude, just go for Paul Chryst.....an asshole who wins at least 9 games and hasn't failed....yet.

He would fit the parameters I would go for though if I were the one doing the hiring. He's above 70%, experienced HC with 10 years in that position.

Yeah, that would be the hard part. I mean, it would be at least what, 5 million a year...that is crazy life changing money and even if you fail...you are set for life.
Call me cheap, but if it's MJ I sure hope it's not to the tune of $5M a year to start with. Add to the assistant pool and hire some dudes. If we go 8-4 or better in 2023 we can have the $5M conversation.

As much as I like Mickey I wonder if Trev will/can take a chance hiring a coach who lacks experience

So you essentially tell MJ, hey we can't find anyone better right now so we are just going to let you be interim for another year or two to see if works out or someone better comes along. How does that work for you MJ? Oh and we have 100% confidence in you.
Not at all. Seriously?

Let’s say we improve a lot, but are around .500. You would say:

You haven’t previously been a head coach, so you are more of an unknown. However, you have done some impressive things, and after considering our options we want to see what you can do with more time. The players love you, and we want to see you be successful. If you continue to be successful and progress, we would be happy to extend a longer term contract.

100 percent agree.
At 3 million a year? Works fine for 99.9 percent of coaches. Get fired and you walk with millions. Succeed and to quote Henry Hill “ F you, pay me!”

Other than Devaney, coaches with no prior HC experience have won a lot more games here than those who had prior HC experience.

And a lot of the best coaches in the game right now had no prior HC experience....Kirby Smart, Ryan Day, Dabo, Lincoln Riley, Gundy, Stoops, Aranda, Pittman...all took over Power 5 programs with no prior HC experience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT