ADVERTISEMENT

Totally OT: What's Your Favorite Breed of Dog?

Thought I might as well reply to this thread than posting a new one. My dog became sick 3 weeks ago and stopped eating, after a few rounds of anti biotics, x rays found nothing, and no improvement I have scheduled with the vet to put her down tomorrow. It pains me, but watching her suffer and wither away pains me more. This is my first dog and have never witnessed the process before and am just looking advice on what to expect if you have been through it. She's been a good dog for me and my family. I thought we had a few more good years together left to share, but as in life, we don't get to dictate when the time comes.
BE THERE FOR HER. Do not let her go through this alone. I hold my dogs and tell them how much I love them as they slip away.

My family moved back to the West Coast while I was going to UNL. When my family was living in Nebraska our female cocker got cancer and we had to put her down. We were both 13. I try to visit her grave every time I am back. She was the first of several dogs that I've been lucky enough to be part of my live. The latest, our setter can drive me crazy. Is great at pointing birds, but sucks at retrieving, but I still love him.

BE THERE FOR HER. Do not let her go through this alone. I hold my dogs and tell them how much I love them as they slip away.

My family moved back to the West Coast while I was going to UNL. When my family was living in Nebraska our female cocker got cancer and we had to put her down. We were both 13. I try to visit her grave every time I am back. She was the first of several dogs that I've been lucky enough to be part of my live. The latest, our setter can drive me crazy. Is great at pointing birds, but sucks at retrieving, but I still love him.
She passed while I was away from home briefly, I told her it was ok to let go before I left to go feed cows. She was a good dog, and damn fine at retrieving birds, hunts that will stick with me forever

• Sad
Reactions: BigRedTed
Corn dog of course.

On a more serious note I've always been partial to labs (especially black labs) and golden retrievers. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to take care of a dog so I'm more of a cat person. They don't give a damn if you're gone as long as there's a clean litter box and food/water lol

To those who responded to my earlier post, thank you. When I got home from work I patted her head and told her it was ok to let go. Had to go out and feed cows , usually she goes with me but I didn’t want to stress her anymore. When I returned home, she had passed. I really believe she waited for me to get home today. What a journey we had together, many miles, many beers, she was always willing to lend an ear, will miss her.
I admit that I didn’t scroll back; just saw the thread revival and figured we were still adding our favorites, so I missed your post. Really sorry for your loss, man.

Only had one dog in my adult life, a currently 7yo goldendoodle. I'm kind of bothered by the fad breed thing, so I'm not sure I'd get another one at the stupid prices now. But she's the best.
Yeah we love our goldendoodle. They are big teddy bears and are really a great dog for kids. Ours is 7 years old and is healthier than the golden retriever I had as a kid at the same age (my GR suffered from seizures and a strange hip issue)

Reactions: Dean Pope
My favorite breed by far is a Border Collie. I’ve had several of them and they are so intelligent it’s almost scary sometimes. My latest dog though is an English Springer Spaniel. While not quite as active or intelligent as a Border Collie, I’ve found they are a much calmer inside while still playful outside. One dog I’m not a fan of is the chihuahua. My wife has one and it’s default setting is barking. Hate it.

Yeah we love our goldendoodle. They are big teddy bears and are really a great dog for kids. Ours is 7 years old and is healthier than the golden retriever I had as a kid at the same age (my GR suffered from seizures and a strange hip issue)
This post has some legs! Our girl Lucy just turned 11 a couple weeks ago. Still acts like a goofy pup!

Reactions: king_kong_
I posted here last year when my golden retriever passed away way younger than I ever imagined her going, only 8 years old. On a whim over thanksgiving I started looking at puppies on Craigslist and never gave it serious consideration of adding more chaos to my life with young kids, but here I am today , drove 3 hours north to brookings to get our beautiful golden retriever pup, Didn’t make it half mile down the road without seeing my old girl sitting next to me. Haven’t cried like that in awhile. Dogs are good for the soul.

I posted here last year when my golden retriever passed away way younger than I ever imagined her going, only 8 years old. On a whim over thanksgiving I started looking at puppies on Craigslist and never gave it serious consideration of adding more chaos to my life with young kids, but here I am today , drove 3 hours north to brookings to get our beautiful golden retriever pup, Didn’t make it half mile down the road without seeing my old girl sitting next to me. Haven’t cried like that in awhile. Dogs are good for the soul.
Good for you. Lots of dogs can be great dogs, but goldens are a special kind of special.

My setter is laying right to next to me as I write this. We don't get into too many pheasants near here. I've run into 12 so far this season and everyone has been a hen. I need to drive about 3 hours away, closer to Pullman (WSU), to get in better pheasant country and I am too lazy to drive that far. A big factor is we have more than enough quail within a 30-minute drive to provide me with enough fun without making that long drive. Yesterday, we were in our quail honey hole. He was going on point quite a bit after we broke up a large covey in this brushy corner of a circle. He went on a rock-hard point, and I assumed it was another quail. To my surprise a rooster blasted out of the clump of brush directly in front of his nose. I was only 12-15 feet away. It was such an easy shot I took it down with one shot shooting my 20-gauge Beretta with just a target load #8 shot shell. Moments like that I will remember until I die.

Last edited:
My setter is laying right to next to me as I write this. We don't get into too many pheasants near here. I've run into 12 so far this season and everyone has been a hen. I need to drive about 3 hours away, closer to Pullman (WSU), to get in better pheasant country and I am too lazy to drive that far. A big factor is we have more than enough quail within a 30-minute drive to provide me with enough fun without making that long drive. Yesterday, we were in our quail honey hole. He was going on point quite a bit after we broke up a large covey in this brushy corner of a circle. He went on a rock-hard point, and I assumed it was another quail. To my surprise a rooster blasted out of the clump of brush directly in front of his nose. I was only 12-15 feet away. It was such an easy shot I took it down with one shot shooting my 20-gauge Baretta with just a target load #8 shot shell. Moments like that I will remember until I die.
I haven’t fired my shotgun since my last dog was afield with me, I’m excited to get this new girl going for next autumn, once you hunt behind a good dog you can’t go without one.

I haven’t fired my shotgun since my last dog was afield with me, I’m excited to get this new girl going for next autumn, once you hunt behind a good dog you can’t go without one.
It is all about dogs. 20 years ago, an old high school friend and I were back in Nebraska hunting pheasants. We were hunting on both sides of the Stateline. I was with my setter and he with his GSP. The weather started about 32-34 degrees with very light snow/rain. We had a great day. The conditions were perfect with the moisture and there were plenty of birds. We hunted most of the day. The dogs performed so well. It was so much fun hunting with them. Since we each had licenses for both states we got a total of 12 birds that day. As the day went on the weather turned slightly colder, and the snow started to accumulate. When we went to the local tavern after our day of hunting two slightly younger guys asked how we did. After telling them about our great adventure, they scoffed at us and proudly proclaimed they had shot 20 some birds in as little as an hour's time. After they got off work, they hit the plum thickets along the roads hard and had good shooting. I still believe just as much today as I did then my friend and I had far more fun trailing our two dogs all day out in the field than those two other guys did riding around in the country in a pick-up truck, swigging down a 12 pack of beer and jumping out to blast roosters.

Since football news is going to be very sparse for a while, let's try a OT question. What's your favorite breed of dog?

Mine simply is a German Shepherd.
i have 2 Dals, lost my second one earlier this year due to old age, harder than hell to say goodbye. Need to be careful where you get one - I've had 2 good ones and cannot imagine going another direction. The reputation they have is not true - simply wonderful animals

Reactions: zrob
I've posted on this b4, but Small Muensterlanders. Straight- up best hunters I've been around and excellent family dogs as well. I almost hate to post this because I don't want others to find out about them and ruin the breed.

I've posted on this b4, but Small Muensterlanders. Straight- up best hunters I've been around and excellent family dogs as well. I almost hate to post this because I don't want others to find out about them and ruin the breed.
I posted on here way back that I went to a Munster breeders in Misssouri a few years ago after you brought them up. I follow him, his dog's and a few others who have Munsters on FB. The Breed is amazing. I never had so much fun as the afternoon we spent outside and in the house with those dogs and the breeder.

I am about to turn 70, do less hunting than I once did although i exercise a lot. The bird population on the farm and area of NW KS is WAY down. We also do more traveling now and lots of volunteer work and a Munster needs lots of exercise. The only downside to a Munster that I can find is they hunt and chase everything. They track deer, rabbits, cats and anything with fur ir thst flys. We are housing a daughter's 12 year old cat for a year and that would not be a good combination. Still, I drool over these absolutely gorgeous and highly intelligent dogs every time I see them.

Good for you. Lots of dogs can be great dogs, but goldens are a special kind of special.
They can be special alright. I have a fused right index finger joint because of a golden biting through the joint at the base of that finger. About 1/4 of intact make goldens are very aggressive. Neutered they don’t seem to be that way. 🤷‍♂️

My neighbor has one. Good dog. Not nearly as crazy as my Brittany.
Had a Brittany decades ago. Great dog but she had a whole farm to roam. I never cease to be amazed at the number of people with large high energy dogs in apartments and small houses. It’s not fair to the dog.

I can relate. The last post prior to yours was mine from Oct '22 saying how my 11yo Lucy still acted like a goofy pup. Well, she started acting old in April of this year, found out she had a tumor on her leg in late May, and we had to put her down June 21st. I was totally wrecked. Waited almost 3 month and brought home her doppelganger Finn on Labor Day. Man, puppies are a lot of work but of course we're already in love with her. Dogs!

I can relate. The last post prior to yours was mine from Oct '22 saying how my 11yo Lucy still acted like a goofy pup. Well, she started acting old in April of this year, found out she had a tumor on her leg in late May, and we had to put her down June 21st. I was totally wrecked. Waited almost 3 month and brought home her doppelganger Finn on Labor Day. Man, puppies are a lot of work but of course we're already in love with her. Dogs!
Im very happy with my decision to pull the trigger on getting a pup, only had her a day and I can already see the joy she is bringing my family. Felt like a new father last night getting up at 1 and 4 am to go let her outside to do her business.

Yeah, our house felt like a mausoleum with no dog in it!
I kinda know that feeling, when we lose one and the house seems sooo empty with just one dog. Always had 2 dogs last 14-15 years so they have a buddy. It's almost like the house is physically bigger in a sad way.

• Sad
Reactions: mgbreis
7e9.gif

We've had 5 beagles over the years... They are great family members ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT