Totally OT: What's Your Favorite Breed of Dog?

TruHusker

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 21, 2001
I've bird hunted for 40 years and been around all the top hunting breeds. My Muensters have had no formal training, just my sorry-azz attempts. Absolutely will not quit, great noses but best of all they are calm and so make terrific house dogs.
I have never heard of this breed until this thread and started researching them. Amazing animals! Breeding is very selective to preserve the genetics. I don't hunt as much as I once did, a few times a year, would probably go more if I had a good dog now that I am retired with more time. My guess is these dogs are very expensive and most breeders won't sell one to just anyone - you have to promise to have it trained and use it often.

Reactions: Laner2

stonesak

Sophomore
Mar 17, 2012
I have an Aussie/border collie mix and a Brittney. Wonderful breeds. Smart and sweetest dogs int he world.

Laner2

Blackshirt
Dec 27, 2007
The Hurtling Moon of Barsoom
I have never heard of this breed until this thread and started researching them. Amazing animals! Breeding is very selective to preserve the genetics. I don't hunt as much as I once did, a few times a year, would probably go more if I had a good dog now that I am retired with more time. My guess is these dogs are very expensive and most breeders won't sell one to just anyone - you have to promise to have it trained and use it often.
Last I heard there were not enough Muensters in the US to be AKC registered. The breeders I've met are kinda fanatics about this breed. They routinely go back to Germany for fresh stock so the genetics stay good. To a certain extent, when you buy one it is kind of word of mouth between the breeders. If you have a good rep with breeder A, word gets out to breeders B, C, D...... They really are nuts about protecting this breed. I got my last one in 2011 and paid a cool grand for her. Never looked back.

TruHusker

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 21, 2001
Last I heard there were not enough Muensters in the US to be AKC registered. The breeders I've met are kinda fanatics about this breed. They routinely go back to Germany for fresh stock so the genetics stay good. To a certain extent, when you buy one it is kind of word of mouth between the breeders. If you have a good rep with breeder A, word gets out to breeders B, C, D...... They really are nuts about protecting this breed. I got my last one in 2011 and paid a cool grand for her. Never looked back.
On a quick search I found a breeder in KC and one in Brainard, NE. They have quite the web sites, one tends to be more about the social aspect and the other on the hunting part. Beautiful dogs and by all accounts, very smart naturally. The price, even in 2011 doesn't surprise me, that is if they even would sell one.

I was looking at a different breed several years ago and contacted a breeder. He asked what I was looking for and I said, a dog that is trainable, natural hunter, one that loves to ride with me in the truck and be at home with my wife and I. He said he would not sell me one of his dogs.

A friend recently purchased the same breed and I asked him if he had to certify his life away and he said yes. The breeder made him promise a whole bunch of things about training, how often he hunts with them, if he breeds them and it was nuts.

I understand the point of keeping the breed as pure as possible. That makes perfect sense given how many have been destroyed over the years. Where would a person even start on looking at the Munsterlanders?

Laner2

Blackshirt
Dec 27, 2007
The Hurtling Moon of Barsoom
On a quick search I found a breeder in KC and one in Brainard, NE. They have quite the web sites, one tends to be more about the social aspect and the other on the hunting part. Beautiful dogs and by all accounts, very smart naturally. The price, even in 2011 doesn't surprise me, that is if they even would sell one.

I was looking at a different breed several years ago and contacted a breeder. He asked what I was looking for and I said, a dog that is trainable, natural hunter, one that loves to ride with me in the truck and be at home with my wife and I. He said he would not sell me one of his dogs.

A friend recently purchased the same breed and I asked him if he had to certify his life away and he said yes. The breeder made him promise a whole bunch of things about training, how often he hunts with them, if he breeds them and it was nuts.

I understand the point of keeping the breed as pure as possible. That makes perfect sense given how many have been destroyed over the years. Where would a person even start on looking at the Munsterlanders?

Got mine from the place in Brainard. By the way, they have land you can hunt on, or can arrange land, and no limit on birds. Haven't tried that and may not with my lousy knees. However, the place in Brainard is top notch. I researched them like crazy before buying my dog in 2011 and they came highly regarded. The key with any Muenster breeder is whether they go back to Germany on a regular basis to assure the quality of the stock. If the breeder only gets its dames and sires in the US, look elsewhere.

I didn't have to do the things your friend has done but then I got my last Muenster in 2011, and things have probably changed. I could go on forever about the genesis of the breed (you really should look that up.....it's fascinating why the breed came into being in the first place) but I really don't want to overhype the breed and have every dorkus go out and buy one and then never hunt it. Like buying a Hellcat to pull a plow.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020
I have a husky dog. I love this breed because of their eyes and their calm character. My dog enjoys almost every kind of food I feed him with. I try not to teach him to eat a certain type of food. I make his alimentation more various. I walk him once in two days, but he almost every day is free to run in my yard. My wife bought him a deer antler for dogs and he plays with it all the day. It stimulates the strength of his teeth.

Last edited: