ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 Husker Teams of All-Time

zrob

Walk On
May 22, 2005
How would you rank the Top 10 Husker teams of all time? I'm guessing most would say the '95 team or the '71 team as #1, and have them as 1 & 2... But I would think peoples opinions would vary widely on the next 8.

Perhaps he meant '81, but '80 is one of our nine unclaimed "national titles."

1915, 1921, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1993, 1999

Hard to compare teams a generation apart let alone squads that played in leather helmets 100 years ago, but the '15 team also deserves some consideration. They beat Notre Dame by one and kicked the crap out of everyone else they played, including KU, KSU, ISU and Iowa (who sucks). NU went 23-0-1 from '13-'15 and 42-3-3 from '10-'15.

It was the best team from a mini-dynasty of sorts under "Jumbo" Stiehm. We were a strong candidate to play in the first-ever Rose Bowl Game after the 1915 season (how cool would that have been?), but the university athletic board voted to turn down any such invitation. Could have won our first national title 55 years earlier had we just been amenable to a bowl invite.

Last edited:
I will argue 99 should be in the top 4. If the modern playoff existed back then, that Husker squad would've easily beaten Florida State or Virginia Tech and added another National Title.

Agree 100%. I will throw in 83 too. Both 99 and 83 were great teams, even without the NC, both in my top 4.

Reactions: zrob
I will argue 99 should be in the top 4. If the modern playoff existed back then, that Husker squad would've easily beaten Florida State or Virginia Tech and added another National Title.

I like to believe the '99 Huskers could've beaten FSU for the National Title but I'm not quite sure. They only rushed for about 265 yards a game and definitely weren't elite on Offense. The Defense and Special teams were very good but I'm not sure if they were even better than the '82 Huskers...

I like to believe the '99 Huskers could've beaten FSU for the National Title but I'm not quite sure. They only rushed for about 265 yards a game and definitely weren't elite on Offense. The Defense and Special teams were very good but I'm not sure if they were even better than the '82 Huskers...

The '99 Husker team had the greatest Husker defense ever. Now, if you want to reference their turnover propensity, I think its a legit argument.

The '99 Husker team had the greatest Husker defense ever. Now, if you want to reference their turnover propensity, I think its a legit argument.

Ever?? The '71 and '84 teams were much better at Total Defense and Scoring Defense. The '95 defense might have been better as well but with as many points as they scored they were bound to give up some yards.

I'd say '99 had the 3rd best Defense, definitely behind '71 and '84... But they are a very distant 3rd.

Ever?? The '71 and '84 teams were much better at Total Defense and Scoring Defense. The '95 defense might have been better as well but with as many points as they scored they were bound to give up some yards.

I'd say '99 had the 3rd best Defense, definitely behind '71 and '84... But they are a very distant 3rd.

Sometimes you just have to admit you're wrong.

Sometimes you just have to admit you're wrong.

How am I wrong?? Have you looked at the stats for the '71 and '84 teams?? They are far better than what the '99 team did and it's literally not even close.
I think YOU need to admit that YOU are wrong, and also apologize. :D

Zrob, should have made this thread instead of the other 2 comparison’s.

71 & 95

Last edited:
Reactions: zrob
Here is my list:

1) 1995
2) 1971
3) 1994
4) 1997
5) 1993
6) 1983
7) 1970
8) 1982
9) 1965
10) 1987

Honorable Mention: 1999

o_O

I didn't forget them... They just didn't make it into my Top 10!

1987 would make a Tom Osborne top 10 but not a All Time top Nebraska team.

5 of 8 opponents didn’t score on the unbeaten 1915 team and they beat Notre Dame.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Hard to believe anybody was better than that 09 defense. Put them with just an ok offense and we win it all that year. I wonder if they had just taught Martinez the zone read and ran variations of it with a few throws off of it if they could have at least been ok on offense.

Reactions: jeans15
How is the 1996 team not included in this conversation? The 1995 team was arguably the greatest college football team of all-time, and we won the national title again in 1997. The team sandwiched in between those two years was pretty special too. Though flawed (and with two losses), that team was good enough to win a title.

Reactions: SOHusker11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT