ADVERTISEMENT

12 team playoff (2022 teams)

Redmich

Senior
Jun 21, 2022
if the playoffs were 12 today - here would be your teams as no one near the cut line lost

Top 4 byes (highest ranked conf champs)

(1)Georgia - (2)Mich - (3)Clemson - (4)KSU (Utah possibly replace KSU but they were behind them in the last rankings)

Next 8 not seeded

Utah
USC
Osu
Penn St
Tcu
Bama
Tenn
Tulane - top G5 - replaces Washington who would have been in as the 12 seed

would likely have OSU (5) playing Tulane (12) with the winner getting KSU

2 pac
3 BIG
3 sec
2 big 12
1 acc
1 G5

Last edited:
would be fun

with the teams joining power 5 conferences - the G5 pool is going to get severely depleted

Reactions: baseball31ne
would be fun

with the teams joining power 5 conferences - the G5 pool is going to get severely depleted
And no way TCU plays Georgia like they should because nobody wants to see a M vs Ohio St re-match.
1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Ohio St
4. TCU
Note: I would have Alabama or Tennessee @ #4.

And no way TCU plays Georgia like they should because nobody wants to see a M vs Ohio St re-match.
1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Ohio St
4. TCU
in the 12 team format for 2024 and 2025- the top 4 ranked conf champions get byes

you have to be a conf champion to get a bye

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Ohio St
4. TCU
I want to see a Michigan Ohio St matchup.. Why the hell not.

#1 Georgia vs #4 TCU
#2 Michigan vs #3 Ohio State

Reactions: stucknks
I want to see a Michigan Ohio St matchup.. Why the hell not.

#1 Georgia vs #4 TCU
#2 Michigan vs #3 Ohio State
So depending on conference alignments or lackthereof, it seems possible two teams could play each other 3 times in one season? That’d be something wild. The good news is best of 3 is better than splitting games.

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Ohio St
4. TCU
Yeah but that's what will probably happen, the playoffs do need to be expanded maybe not 12. The problem with playing so many additional games for some teams is that football is a brutal game and young kids run a big risk of ending careers before they get started. Bottom line is college football is a big business for most elite universities and elite athletes. I feel education for many elite student athletes is becoming secondary, money is the name of the game, playing college sports is a means to an end.

So depending on conference alignments or lackthereof, it seems possible two teams could play each other 3 times in one season? That’d be something wild. The good news is best of 3 is better than splitting games.
True

Yeah but that's what will probably happen, the playoffs do need to be expanded maybe not 12. The problem with playing so many additional games for some teams is that football is a brutal game and young kids run a big risk of ending careers before they get started. Bottom line is college football is a big business for most elite universities and elite athletes. I feel education for many elite student athletes is becoming secondary, money is the name of the game, playing college sports is a means to an end.
Yep. 12 teams probably too many

In 2024, the first round games will be played on campus, or at the higher seed’s venue of choice. After that, they start incorporating bowl games for the quarter and semi finals. The championship game, like now, will be bid out and awarded to the highest bidder.

2024-252025-26
QuarterfinalsFiesta, Peach, Rose, SugarCotton, Orange, Rose, Sugar
SemifinalsCotton, OrangeFiesta, Peach
National ChampionshipAtlanta (Jan. 20, 2025)Miami (Jan. 19,

Reactions: Redmich
I think the first 2 rounds should be on campus. The last 2 in bowl games
Agree, eight teams get a home game. Making teams travel for three straight neutral site games (four for some who play in CCGs) is ridiculous.

if the playoffs were 12 today - here would be your teams as no one near the cut line lost

Top 4 byes (highest ranked conf champs)

(1)Georgia - (2)Mich - (3)Clemson - (4)KSU (Utah possibly replace KSU but they were behind them in the last rankings)

Next 8 not seeded

Utah
USC
Osu
Penn St
Tcu
Bama
Tenn
Tulane - top G5 - replaces Washington who would have been in as the 12 seed

would likely have OSU (5) playing Tulane (12) with the winner getting KSU

2 pac
3 BIG
3 sec
2 big 12
1 acc
1 G5
Put Tulane at #4 since they beat K-State.

In 2024, the first round games will be played on campus, or at the higher seed’s venue of choice. After that, they start incorporating bowl games for the quarter and semi finals. The championship game, like now, will be bid out and awarded to the highest bidder.

2024-252025-26
QuarterfinalsFiesta, Peach, Rose, SugarCotton, Orange, Rose, Sugar
SemifinalsCotton, OrangeFiesta, Peach
National ChampionshipAtlanta (Jan. 20, 2025)Miami (Jan. 19,
I have not read if they decided the timing: I guess first round mid December, quarterfinals around NYD, semis about 10 days later, championship about the 20th.

I have not read if they decided the timing: I guess first round mid December, quarterfinals around NYD, semis about 10 days later, championship about the 20th.
The first round will take place around Dec 21, quarterfinals and semi final dates will be announced later. The final will be Jan 20.

If I had to venture a guess the quarters will be Dec 31 and Jan 1 and the semifinals on Jan 11.

That is 10 days between games.

Reactions: scarletred
update based on just released rankings

1. Georgia 2. Michigan 3. Utah. 4 Clemson

5 v 12. TCU v Tulane - winner plays Clemson
6 v 11. OSU v KSU - winner plays Utah
7 v 10. Ala v Penn St -- winner plays Michigan
8 v 9. Tenn v USC -- winner plays Georgia

I think if we had a 12 team playoff this year - OSU would have been the 5 seed as I think the committee wanted to avoid Mich and OSU in the semifinal this year
Looks legit. All premier names except for maybe Tulane and TCU. I wasn't a fan of 12 (wanted 8) but this might actually be kinda neat.

update based on just released rankings

1. Georgia 2. Michigan 3. Utah. 4 Clemson

5 v 12. TCU v Tulane - winner plays Clemson
6 v 11. OSU v KSU - winner plays Utah
7 v 10. Ala v Penn St -- winner plays Michigan
8 v 9. Tenn v USC -- winner plays Georgia

I think if we had a 12 team playoff this year - OSU would have been the 5 seed as I think the committee wanted to avoid Mich and OSU in the semifinal this year
From what I see with full final poll:

1. Georgia 2. Michigan 3. Clemson 4. Utah

5 v 12. TCU hosts Tulane - winner plays Utah
6 v 11. OSU hosts PSU - winner plays Clemson
7 v 10. Ala hosts USC -- winner plays Michigan
8 v 9. Tenn hosts KSU -- winner plays Georgia

Georgia looks to have the much easier half of the bracket, while the other side would have OSU, Clemson, Alabama and Michigan. Wouldn't count out any of those.

Reactions: Redmich
From what I see with full final poll:

1. Georgia 2. Michigan 3. Clemson 4. Utah

5 v 12. TCU hosts Tulane - winner plays Utah
6 v 11. OSU hosts PSU - winner plays Clemson
7 v 10. Ala hosts USC -- winner plays Michigan
8 v 9. Tenn hosts KSU -- winner plays Georgia

Georgia looks to have the much easier half of the bracket, while the other side would have OSU, Clemson, Alabama and Michigan. Wouldn't count out any of those.
Thanks for the corrections

Reactions: bama_husker
Top 4 teams have bye. The remaining 8 play and winners play top 4. These 2 rounds are at home stadiums. The remaining 2 games are played like they are now.
The top 4 conf champions get byes
Utah and Clemson would have byes this year

The top 4 conf champions get byes
Utah and Clemson would have byes this year
I would not be disappointed if CCG games go away, and they may need to in this format. Take the committee's selections of 1-12 and play the bracket like they do for all the other sports. If there is a tie for a conference title, then you have co-champs...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT