ADVERTISEMENT

To the old timers on here

A few of the other games I mentioned, cu in 1992 & 1994 were also pretty damn good. What made them even better was listening to the cu announcers, McCartney and cu fans after the game driving back home. They all just thought cu would waltz into Lincoln and come away winners.

Loved listening to those smarmy bastards whine and cry. cu fans are still the most despicable, idiots!;)

A few of the other games I mentioned, cu in 1992 & 1994 were also pretty damn good. What made them even better was listening to the cu announcers, McCartney and cu fans after the game driving back home. They all just thought cu would waltz into Lincoln and come away winners.

Loved listening to those smarmy bastards whine and cry. cu fans are still the most despicable, idiots!;)
The only other games I attended that even came close to the atmosphere of 78 NU/OU was that 92 game vs. CU or the 2001 game against OU

Reactions: huskerfan1414
That is a shame. Missed the party of the century in Lincoln. My guess is there has never been a bigger party in downtown Lincoln before or since
Not that it was heroic or anything like that, but it reminded me of the celebration footage I've watched of VE day or VJ day, tens of thousands of people just celebrating in the streets. Again, not saying it was heroic or that important, just the euphoria that was going on, truly no Husker fan disliked another for at least 48 hours after that win.:D

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Keith Jackson man. Still miss that guy! Love the intro, they are basically talking about how big and strong Billy Sims. Saying he's been hitting the weights and is at 205 whole pounds!

I was there with my brother, Dad, Uncle. Sat up in the higher rows south stadium. First game I ever attended in Lincoln. The atmosphere before, during, and after was bigger than any other game I've gone to since then, including the 1986 night game against FSU, the 1994 game vs cu, 1992 vs cu (close second Halloween game).

I remember how damn cold it was, couldn't get warm until Nebraska scored their first td. I remember Billy Sims first td of the game, right to the south end zone, made it look so effortless. I remember saying to my brother "this is going to be a long game."

It's no wonder it ranks at the top as the best game ever in Lincoln. And if you want to see how tackling really should be done, watch that game, most of the time Nebraska players were in the right spot and made great tackles. Of course, with the kind of talent OU had on that team, they could also make players on defense look helpless, as they did from time to time to the Blackshirts.

We just had to follow the flow of the crowd when the stadium finally started to empty out, but what a time watching all the chaos on the field after the game. Somehow, and I don't know how, we managed to go into a bar and low and behold, it was a topless bar. I lived in Colorado at the time, so not knowing the lay of the land back then, I had no idea how we managed that. But at 16 years old, who was I to argue? That game still ranks as my all time favorite regular season game, it was an amazing contest to say the least.

Side note: Billy Sims was averaging 8 ypc coming into the game against Nebraska. Let that sink in, yikes. Oh yeah, back then, you didn't need a tunnel walk to amp up the crowd, you just were!
Strip clubs were not legal inside the city limits in 1978. There was a club way east around A Street by the Hillcrest Country Club and another out by the airport, so your group must have driven, maybe stopped off at the A Street one on the way back to Omaha?

Strip clubs were not legal inside the city limits in 1978. There was a club way east around A Street by the Hillcrest Country Club and another out by the airport, so your group must have driven, maybe stopped off at the A Street one on the way back to Omaha?

I really don't remember the name of the bar or even what street it was on, I just remember women with their tops off in the bar, I just assumed it was a topless bar. What the heck did I know, I just know what I saw, and it was almost as good as the game. They were dancing all over and having a good time.

So, maybe they were just happy for the big win? I know I was excited to see both! Maybe one of those venues is the place we ended up, there were a helluva lot of people in there whooping it up. Did I mention the topless girls?

Keith Jackson man. Still miss that guy! Love the intro, they are basically talking about how big and strong Billy Sims. Saying he's been hitting the weights and is at 205 whole pounds!
Sims was as good a back as Nebraska ever played against, maybe the best, (him and some back from Okie State) and although a bit unheralded as a player in Detroit, he had a pretty good NFL career going until that knee injury.. Scary good RB.

Last edited:
First, who are you calling an old timer? I was there, tickets were easy, no one wanted to watch the sooners beat down of the Huskers. A former classmate got us some prime corporate seats on the west side, best seats ever for me at a Husker game aside from staff seats I had with my son against OSU with Brook Berringer whom he watched in school. I had a hideous blue plaid jacket and I was on the sports replays storming the field and carrying players off. Couldnt miss it. I helped carry the "smilin assasin." Anything that wasnt attached was gone from players, chin straps, people grabbing helmets, etc. I was there when south posts came down, a bunch of people climbed on and started swaying. Later saw the goal posts headed down O street. A memory I hope I never forget. Had perfect angle on the fumble. Ah the good ole days and yes I am an old timer.

Ok, while we all sit and wait with baited breath for 17 year old high school football players to make a decision, I was rewatching a YouTube video of the 1978 Nebraska vs. OU game in Lincoln. I was at that game (I was a sophomore at UNL) and once the goal posts came down I followed some dudes who had one part of a post who proceeded to carry it down O street. I, and about 20,000 other people on O street that night, were euphoric.

So my question to everyone on here who is old enough to remember that game ( a game that saved Osborne's career): Where were you that day?

I was already in Seattle. I had a bet with a couple of Okie co-workers. The loser had to detail the winner's car. Good friends took a piece of the goal post to the Brass Rail and were drinking beer from it. They must have had a good time as one ended up in the Lincoln jail that night.

My brother and I, 15 and 14, got my parents tickets they won in a raffle. It was damn cold and dad said if you can find a ride you can go. Our buddies dad and him were going so we were in. Cold as hell but it was my first time to a game in Lincoln, so was pumped. We sat in South end zone prob 25 rows up. I remember an older couple said you boys might need some schnapps to stay warm, so yes we did. It was crazy, the oranges flying and an awesome memory.

Fast forward to OU's 100 year anniversary for football. Neb vs OU in Norman was walking to O'Connel's for some pregame and there is Billy Sims signing autographs. I get in line spend 10.00 for the OU anniversary hat. Billy says what would a Husker fan want my signature for, i said you were a great player and part of my first Neb/OU. He just looked at me with a sly grin. Would you please sign this hat with Neb 17 OU 14. He did and said that was still his most painful loss of his life. He was cool about it, we shook hands.

My brother and I, 15 and 14, got my parents tickets they won in a raffle. It was damn cold and dad said if you can find a ride you can go. Our buddies dad and him were going so we were in. Cold as hell but it was my first time to a game in Lincoln, so was pumped. We sat in South end zone prob 25 rows up. I remember an older couple said you boys might need some schnapps to stay warm, so yes we did. It was crazy, the oranges flying and an awesome memory.

Fast forward to OU's 100 year anniversary for football. Neb vs OU in Norman was walking to O'Connel's for some pregame and there is Billy Sims signing autographs. I get in line spend 10.00 for the OU anniversary hat. Billy says what would a Husker fan want my signature for, i said you were a great player and part of my first Neb/OU. He just looked at me with a sly grin. Would you please sign this hat with Neb 17 OU 14. He did and said that was still his most painful loss of his life. He was cool about it, we shook hands.

I loved Billy Sims. Always rooted for him when he played for the Lions. Probably my favorite Sooner of all time. I used to have a plastic flask back in the day. I remember taking in some raspberry schnapps one year. Buy a coke and put some in. Back when I was younger, of course.

I really don't remember the name of the bar or even what street it was on, I just remember women with their tops off in the bar, I just assumed it was a topless bar. What the heck did I know, I just know what I saw, and it was almost as good as the game. They were dancing all over and having a good time.

So, maybe they were just happy for the big win? I know I was excited to see both! Maybe one of those venues is the place we ended up, there were a helluva lot of people in there whooping it up. Did I mention the topless girls?
I could see the girls getting crazy in a downtown bar after a big win and lots of booze. I was an engineering student and there was a shy, quiet, mousy girl in some of my classes, female engineering students were not common back then. She was pretty in a nerdy kind of way. One time in the stadium, not sure which game or what year, but it was cool-cold there was a girl a few rows down in the student section drunk, maybe for the first time, dancing and waving her arms. It was the nerd girl! go figure. Then some guys picked her up to pass her up over their heads, she went up about 10 rows, they dropped her, she got up, started dancing again, then took off her top and shook what she got for 10-20 seconds, then put her top on and left. I saw her in class the next week and she was mousy as ever like it never happened.

This game is my favorite memory of Nebraska football. It is a memory that is in a class of its own. I don't have a great story about it as I was at home in my living room watching the game on a 25" Zenith television. Like others on this thread I remember being scared of Oklahoma, I remember the play of Hipp, Berns, Franklin, Sorley, Junior Miller, George Andrews, and Billy Todd. Nebraska's players weren't the most talented, but as a team they could play above themselves. The game was just fun and there was no Sooner Magic in '78.

I was there with a buddy sitting about 19 rows up in the SW end zone. I often think about that Sims fumble on the 4 or 5 yard line to this day. Gosh that was fun watching two rushing powerhouses----that game is forever etched in to my mind.

I can also still see the ball flying up in the air when John Ruud annihilated Kelly Phelps on the ensuing kickoff after the Huskers took a 17-14 lead, only to be ruled down and OU ball. Where was the replay official when we needed it? Probably the same place when NU lost to Penn St. a few years later when a Penn St. receiver makes a catch 2 yards out of bounds and it's called a completion!!

I watched it at home. It was the hardest hitting display I have ever seen from NU. I believe OU fumbled 7 times. Switzer said that was his best team. Most people will remember the hit by Ruud on the kickoff. It was a slap in the face when we had to face OU again in the Orange Bowl.

That's the year Mom moved us kids from Ashland to Corning,Iowa.I was a freshman in high school.By then I could have been moved to the Moon.I was a Husker lifer.Living in Ashland my mom had a 2nd part time job, tending at the Stable Bar.Players would take the short drive to there to get out of Lincoln and throw some beers back.I can't remember all but I think Rich Berns and his crew were some of them.Frosty Anderson and Humm, and a few others.I'm an OLD TIMER and my memory is fuzzy.
What I remember about the game is watching the Sooners making the "Death Blow" drive they do to us every year and Billy Sims fumble.Jumping up and down going crazy knowing that was it.
Back then the loss to OU was a 365 day, knife to the heart.You never worried about any other team we played on a regular basis.All your dreams were about how bad we would beat Switzer the next year.Just as high on the clouds I was that day.The Good Lord showed who was in charge the next week against the Tigers.And sprinkle salt in the wound with a rematch that even though the score may have been close.OU controlled the bowl game.

Last edited:
First, who are you calling an old timer? I was there, tickets were easy, no one wanted to watch the sooners beat down of the Huskers. A former classmate got us some prime corporate seats on the west side, best seats ever for me at a Husker game aside from staff seats I had with my son against OSU with Brook Berringer whom he watched in school. I had a hideous blue plaid jacket and I was on the sports replays storming the field and carrying players off. Couldnt miss it. I helped carry the "smilin assasin." Anything that wasnt attached was gone from players, chin straps, people grabbing helmets, etc. I was there when south posts came down, a bunch of people climbed on and started swaying. Later saw the goal posts headed down O street. A memory I hope I never forget. Had perfect angle on the fumble. Ah the good ole days and yes I am an old timer.
You were one of the ones carrying George Andrews?! You are now one of my heroes

I was on the 30 yard line north west corner. The hit on Kelly Phelps was right in front of us, what robbery! I don't know if I've ever heard the crowd so loud and I remember Keith Jackson saying "this crowd really works to help this team". This was the first game we ever Taped. And we went back and watched it over and over and celebrating and we were so happy.

Notice there were over 3 1/2 minutes left in the game after Nebraska recovered Sims last fumble. OU KNEW Nebraska was going to run the ball, and they couldn't stop them. So many times you see teams having that much time left on the clock and not being able to close the game out. Kudos to this team that they were able to run out the clock instead of going 3 and out and then losing, preventing more "Sooner Magic".

Unfortunately, the next year, Sims ran all over Nebraska and OU prevailed, ironically, 17-14.

Reactions: dckchusker
I was at the game. Back then there were metal bleachers down in the southwest corner of the stadium that we liked to sit because we could watch the Huskers come out of the tunnel from the old locker room. I just remember that nobody wanted to leave the stadium that day, but it was also very cold.

Notice there were over 3 1/2 minutes left in the game after Nebraska recovered Sims last fumble. OU KNEW Nebraska was going to run the ball, and they couldn't stop them. So many times you see teams having that much time left on the clock and not being able to close the game out. Kudos to this team that they were able to run out the clock instead of going 3 and out and then losing, preventing more "Sooner Magic".

Unfortunately, the next year, Sims ran all over Nebraska and OU prevailed, ironically, 17-14.
The run by Berns on first down from our own 2 was critical. 15 yards and a first down out of a simple toss sweep.

Reactions: Morgan747
I was on the 30 yard line north west corner. The hit on Kelly Phelps was right in front of us, what robbery! I don't know if I've ever heard the crowd so loud and I remember Keith Jackson saying "this crowd really works to help this team". This was the first game we ever Taped. And we went back and watched it over and over and celebrating and we were so happy.
The bad call on the Phelps fumble remains the worse call I have ever seen made at a football game. You had to be blind not to see the fumble

I was at the game. Back then there were metal bleachers down in the southwest corner of the stadium that we liked to sit because we could watch the Huskers come out of the tunnel from the old locker room. I just remember that nobody wanted to leave the stadium that day, but it was also very cold.
I remember those bleachers!!

Ok, while we all sit and wait with baited breath for 17 year old high school football players to make a decision, I was rewatching a YouTube video of the 1978 Nebraska vs. OU game in Lincoln. I was at that game (I was a sophomore at UNL) and once the goal posts came down I followed some dudes who had one part of a post who proceeded to carry it down O street. I, and about 20,000 other people on O street that night, were euphoric.

So my question to everyone on here who is old enough to remember that game ( a game that saved Osborne's career): Where were you that day?

No. I had to see this from Long Island.

Was in the Boy Scouts (7th grade maybe?) camping at Camp Wakanda (Iowa) listening to the game and 'The Hit' on the radio. Listening to Bremser describe Ruud's hit, I couldn't wait to see the highlights later that night. Loved how one of the news stations, Channel 6 I think, had that hit in their opening newscast montage for years. Also remember where I was when I heard we would have to play Okla again in the Orange Bowl. Brandeis store at Southroads. I almost trashed the TV section.

Just back from Lincoln Penny, and I remember games as far back as the 1963 Oklahoma game after JFK assassination not quite 6 years old but I remember that day with my father and a few of his friends watching on TV that the Lincoln station carried that day.

I was savoring my first game EVER INSIDE Memorial Stadium....had seen several games at KU, Mizzou and Okie State, but NEVER gotten tickets to Lincoln...

Wow!

I SERIOUSLY could write a book on the experience...how I got the tickets, etc...epic...

PS.Phelps DID fumble...lucky he lived through that hit.

I was savoring my first game EVER INSIDE Memorial Stadium....had seen several games at KU, Mizzou and Okie State, but NEVER gotten tickets to Lincoln...

Wow!

I SERIOUSLY could write a book on the experience...how I got the tickets, etc...epic...

PS.Phelps DID fumble...lucky he lived through that hit.
He was lucky he survived that hit

I was a jr. in college. Had to work the whole damn game at the Super Sub at 14th and P. I remember looking out the window in my apron, reeking of onions, as the game ended and people ran past on the way to O Street. Then watching the highlights on 10/11 Strong. I'm sure the 20 1978-bucks I made that day was worth it.

I was a jr. in college. Had to work the whole damn game at the Super Sub at 14th and P. I remember looking out the window in my apron, reeking of onions, as the game ended and people ran past on the way to O Street. Then watching the highlights on 10/11 Strong. I'm sure the 20 1978-bucks I made that day was worth it.
I think I got a sub there once. Maybe you served me!

Reactions: gomerxx
I was in basic training at Lackland AFB when it was played. I got to see it on the day room television, probably a 13 inch one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT