ADVERTISEMENT

This team in a nutshell.

I don't understand the number of guys who think tackling means get your head down to shin height, tuck your arms away, and dive in the general direction of the guy's feet. Embarrassing to have guys literally standing and watching. That's a coaching issue. Got em running between stations but not running during plays.

The announcers lit up Stille for jogging around out there too. That's not a talent problem, that's a lack of consequences when guys decide to just check out. A zero-star player can run hard in pursuit until the whistle blows.

Either coaches aren't noticing it, or if they are they're not punishing it. If guys won't do it on their own you gotta send em up the stadium steps for loafing or something, you can't just have starters literally standing around out there.

Pretty much the #1 thing Lovie rails on, if you do nothing else you WILL run to the whistle for that man.

I can’t see who (the #) was standing around. Was it 21?

I don't understand the number of guys who think tackling means get your head down to shin height, tuck your arms away, and dive in the general direction of the guy's feet. Embarrassing to have guys literally standing and watching. That's a coaching issue. Got em running between stations but not running during plays.

The announcers lit up Stille for jogging around out there too. That's not a talent problem, that's a lack of consequences when guys decide to just check out. A zero-star player can run hard in pursuit until the whistle blows.

Either coaches aren't noticing it, or if they are they're not punishing it. If guys won't do it on their own you gotta send em up the stadium steps for loafing or something, you can't just have starters literally standing around out there.

Pretty much the #1 thing Lovie rails on, if you do nothing else you WILL run to the whistle for that man.
Certainly is a bad look and this sort of thing will cost him a lot of money because it is on tape and is the type of stuff that scouts will see. That being said...this is a senior...he has millions of dollars on the line if he just plays hard and puts good action on tape. And he is still loafing...either he is exhausted or stupid or a little bit of both. Some people just do not get it regardless of coaching. And benching and punishing sounds great for a keyboard warrior but you have to try to build people up as well. We can barely field a nickel defense and oyu are going to bench your best corner out of punishment? Can't happen.

Certainly is a bad look and this sort of thing will cost him a lot of money because it is on tape and is the type of stuff that scouts will see. That being said...this is a senior...he has millions of dollars on the line if he just plays hard and puts good action on tape. And he is still loafing...either he is exhausted or stupid or a little bit of both. Some people just do not get it regardless of coaching. And benching and punishing sounds great for a keyboard warrior but you have to try to build people up as well. We can barely field a nickel defense and oyu are going to bench your best corner out of punishment? Can't happen.
Him being considered our ‘best’ corner explains why we suck on defense.

The not named 21 has had several of those this year. I remember Illinois was particularly bad in that effort category.

Just watched the replay on B1G network.

When one or two players don't give effort... you bench them.

Huskers are playing like they just want to get the season over. That's on the coaches.

Purdue has a lot less talent than the Huskers, but they give twice the effort. I'm not a Husker fan, but I would find it very difficult to support a team that plays like they don't give a shit.

I can't believe a once proud program could fall this far.

Just watched the replay on B1G network.

When one or two players don't give effort... you bench them.

Huskers are playing like they just want to get the season over. That's on the coaches.

Purdue has a lot less talent than the Huskers, but they give twice the effort. I'm not a Husker fan, but I would find it very difficult to support a team that plays like they don't give a shit.

I can't believe a once proud program could fall this far.
Especially with a guy leading us who not only knows what it’s like, but he LIVED what it takes to be part of a proud team. Mind boggling, really. Scott is so loyal to his fellow coaches that he’d sacrifice his own job instead of parting ways with guys that have proved they don’t belong at this level.

They are not physically imposing or dynamic but worse - they don't seem to know where they are supposed to be on a given play.

Hard to believe that doesn't fall on coaching. Nebraska's DC, ILB coach, and OLB coach have done a pathetic job. We've got some of the worst coached players in P5. No wonder Roberts bounced.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Yeesh. That’s a real bad, lazy, undisciplined look. Should be on replay in the film room......and anyone caught doing that should ride some pine. That’s more unacceptable than a bad throw from AM.

To me, Jo Jo blasting in to tackle the RB on their TD reverse is this team in a nutshell. So fundamental that the guy to be on the outside has one job and that is to contain. If he stays home, he blows up the play for a 5-10 yard loss (assuming he makes the tackle), or at the very least causes the end to retreat far enough to get around him that pursuit can catch up before he scores. They have to kick a FG and we go to overtime worst case. He decides to play hero ball instead of handling his responsibility, and we lose. it doesn't even register on him that all the linemen are blocking toward the RB once the play starts.

To me, Jo Jo blasting in to tackle the RB on their TD reverse is this team in a nutshell. So fundamental that the guy to be on the outside has one job and that is to contain. If he stays home, he blows up the play for a 5-10 yard loss (assuming he makes the tackle), or at the very least causes the end to retreat far enough to get around him that pursuit can catch up before he scores. They have to kick a FG and we go to overtime worst case. He decides to play hero ball instead of handling his responsibility, and we lose. it doesn't even register on him that all the linemen are blocking toward the RB once the play starts.

JoJo also miffed on their slow ass QB on a QB run play, he had him right dead in the backfield dove to the spot where the QB was, not where he was going, should have been an easy 4 yard loss backing them up near their own goal line. This team does not know how to tackle!

Reactions: dinglefritz

Blake Lawrence did a breakdown on that play. He stated that Jo Jo played that correctly and it was someone other than him that missed contain.

At first I thought he blew the play, but looks like we don't always know what we are talking about on the surface.

Blake Lawrence did a breakdown on that play. He stated that Jo Jo played that correctly and it was someone other than him that missed contain.

At first I thought he blew the play, but looks like we don't always know what we are talking about on the surface.
Man Stille looked extremely slow on that play. Unhook the plow!!

Reactions: Hedley Lemar

I saw that too..... hindsight is always 20/20 but you clearly see the qb keeping the ball from his perspective and u have to think he was having a “squirrel” moment. #19 to me is the worst at tackling—- diving and going for a kill shot every time.

Purdue Touchdown right before half....3rd and 8 and their TightEnd catches it 3 yards short..Domann had him square and dead to rights....Nope....Purdue gets the 7 and the lead....
44ccc8794f5df87bb555d359ac5a62e7.png

Yeah Frost preaches accountability, yet seems like he may not hold all players accountable.

Reactions: TheBeav815

Then who pray tell does Blake think had contain? Jo Jo is the only guy on the outside. Corner back followed the the wide receiver in motion and every linebacker but Jo Jo was between the tackles, and the D end on that side crashed inside on the snap. I'm not buying it for a minute that Jojo didn't have contain, because if that is the case then someone lined up inside the tackles was supposed to have contain, which is the stupidest-ass defensive alignment Chinander could throw out there. No wonder he is getting out coached at every turn.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Then who pray tell does Blake think had contain? Jo Jo is the only guy on the outside. Corner back followed the the wide receiver in motion and every linebacker but Jo Jo was between the tackles, and the D end on that side crashed inside on the snap. I'm not buying it for a minute that Jojo didn't have contain, because if that is the case then someone lined up inside the tackles was supposed to have contain, which is the stupidest-ass defensive alignment Chinander could throw out there. No wonder he is getting out coached at every turn.

Here you go.

Hard to even blame the "safety" since it was one of our starting corners filling in for Cam Taylor. Our coaching on defense is so bad it doesn't even matter whose fault it was at this point. You can scheme any play you want flowing one way at the snap and then randomly choose any concept going against that flow to get a guy wide open for a big gain. Last week it was #44 failing to stay with his man across the flow for a wide open passing score. This week it was a safety failing to stay with his man across the flow for a walk-in TD run.

Also, how is anybody shocked at #21 at this point? You could find MULTIPLE plays just like this in any of our losses going back to last season. Some plays even worse. Hell this is nothing compared to some of the stuff he's done. I actually thought he played his best game as a Husker on Saturday.

Helluva play call. Many saying this is on JoJo, but it’s not.
Tackle blocks down, JoJo has C gap and takes RB dive.
With the motion to overload side + reverse action from outside receiver, safety to overload side should take reverse action.
He just freezes. pic.twitter.com/iOfgLiHffR— Blake Lawrence (@Blake_Lawrence) November 3, 2019

Here you go.

We could take the word of supposed expert Blake Lawrence, or we could listen to those who actually know, as reported in the OWH today: "Domann was supposed to stay home and make sure the Purdue quarterback didn't roll out or run outside of him." Per Domann: "It was my responsibility. I messed up. I didn't do my job." "I wanted to make the play. I wanted a stop and I didn't do my job."

Reactions: Top_Gun_
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT